Forgotten Realms 4E Only Three Books

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Forgotten Realms 4E Only Three Books

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I’ve just picked up a bit of news regarding Forgotten Realms in 4E D&D. It seems that all my worrying for what they’ll do with Eilistraee might be pointless. After all, my worry was that if they did something bad with her then there wouldn’t be any further details we could use in future releases. But I’ve just heard that there’s likely to not be any future releases, period.

According to [url=http://thegamerdome.com/dd-4e-info-from ... /:ub270o0l]The Gamer Dome[/url:ub270o0l] (and confirmed by [url=http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p ... 6:ub270o0l]EN World[/url:ub270o0l]) it has been revealed at the GAMA trade show that there will be three Forgotten Realms books (all published later this year) and then it’s done. After this they’ll move to other settings, one per year and each also getting only three books before they move on. Which settings they’ll do next to Forgotten Realms and Eberron hasn’t been revealed, but on the list of settings they’re considering are Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, and Spelljammer.

The three books for the Forgotten Realms are (and note that The Gamer Dome’s list is incorrect): [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=pr ... 0:ub270o0l]Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide[/url:ub270o0l] (meant for Dms only), [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=pr ... 0:ub270o0l]Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide[/url:ub270o0l] (meant for players mainly), and [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=pr ... 0:ub270o0l]FR1 Scepter Tower of Spellgard[/url:ub270o0l] (adventure book).

Now, it has been noted that Eberron will also get DDI updates. It’s possible that they’ll do this for other settings too, but this has not been confirmed. Either way you’ll likely have to subscribe their their ridiculously priced DDI program to get these updates.

So for me, at the moment, it seems that it’ll be two more books to buy (I see no point in buying an adventure book), possibly next to the 4E base books, and then that’s it, byebye Wizards. But I guess we’ll see.

To be honest, not something that makes me happy. The only good thing here is that there’s a chance now that they’ll release other settings again that people enjoyed in the past. And who knows; might just visit that Eilistraeen moon in Spelljammer (yeah, not bloody likely).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Yes I saw that, there is also a claim that only staff will write the ezines (which excludes Ed). In some ways Ed might like the idea, he has held the position of providing a Realm that the DMS and players change. As to what really happens, as WotC saying will happen has not been true is yet to see.
Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Re: Forgotten Realms 4E Only Three Books

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":zcozu084]The only good thing here is that there’s a chance now that they’ll release other settings again that people enjoyed in the past. And who knows; might just visit that Eilistraeen moon in Spelljammer (yeah, not bloody likely).[/quote:zcozu084]

If you are talking about [url=http://www.spelljammer.org/worlds/locs/ ... l:zcozu084]Evertath[/url:zcozu084], I can tell you that the person who wrote it is one of the three authors of HackJammer (a Spelljammer-like sourcebook for the HackMaster game). The three HackJammer authors are SJ experts, who have a lot of respect from the SJ fan community. I'm sure that WotC would [b:zcozu084]consider[/b:zcozu084] asking them to help out in some way.

Adam "Night Druid" Miller (the Evertath author) is still writing free SJ material. He has been tempted into expanding upon a previous "Moon of the Month" before, so if you are lucky, you might be able to pursuade him to take another look at Evertath. I'd certainly like to know more.
Last edited by Dostrealt on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I think the CEO's of WotC need to all be rounded up and taken out for a group electroshock therapy session, just to get them back on track because...wow, these people are insane.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Have to agree on that one Narsia.
Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":16t3yuot]I think the CEO's of WotC need to all be rounded up and taken out for a group electroshock therapy session, just to get them back on track because...wow, these people are insane.[/quote:16t3yuot]

I don't think you can get these people back on track.

They have thrown the baby out with the bathwater and are patting themselves on the back, [b:16t3yuot]believing[/b:16t3yuot] that they have done a good thing. :/ :'(
Last edited by Dostrealt on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

If they so much as start screwing around with Planescape, I'll come down there and shove this ******** up their yellow-belly *******.

Look what they did to the Tieflings! They're a bunch of Emo leftovers...and the females look like some puritan "goody-two-shoes-Christian-girl"...It's a fucking demon you bloody idiot... 1 out of 10 milion of them should be a paladin...

I'm serious, if they do something like this to the Tieflings in Planescape, I'll kill them, I mean it...

Bloody idiots...
:3
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I've been looking forward to Rooky exploding and unleashing her rage upon the world.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="Argoth":4qttehye]I've been looking forward to Rooky exploding and unleashing her rage upon the world.[/quote:4qttehye]

Yeeessssssss [sits back with a self satisfied evil glint in his eyes in a high back chair whilst shaping the finger pyramid of evil]

Release the Rooky Smithers!
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Dregonindil
Maid
Maid

Post by Dregonindil »

With so many people thinking WoTC has fouled things up, you kind of have to wonder what exactly they are thinking.
There are forums all over the net saying they have lost their marbles, even the forums on the wizards own site.
It seems to be a special sort of detachment from the world...
Or maybe they have just dropped a whole lot of acid, I dont know.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

10$ Blizzard has something to do with this...
:3
Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

Blizzard has nothing to do with this.

Its fucking Jizzards of the Coast.
Dregonindil
Maid
Maid

Post by Dregonindil »

Rooky scares me. :/
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

That's a propper reaction. Just don't point out any limbs at her...

Blizzard's got nothing to do with all of this. The wizards used their magic pipes and smoked too much pot. Or they just quit smoking the stuff. Either way they screwed up big time.
Dregonindil
Maid
Maid

Post by Dregonindil »

Despite screwing up I can garantee you that 4th edition will not fail as many people hope.
Say what you will, but they will make money off of it regardless.