Drow talk with Ed and Eric

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

galadhion
Maid
Maid

Drow talk with Ed and Eric

Post by galadhion »

Hello all!
Ed Greenwood and I will be discussing the drow on an upcoming twitch stream this Sunday, Jan. 24, 8:30 pm EST. We'll be discussing the differences of the drow between the Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms settings and taking questions from the listeners. Because we share a love of the Dark Maiden, we will be bringing up Eilistraee in our conversation. Ed remembers that he was drinking tea when he first dreamed of her. I hope you can join us!
http://www.twitch.tv/lordgosumba

Stars Shine Bright!
Eric
Irennan
Champion

Re: Drow talk with Ed and Eric

Post by Irennan »

It'll be late here, so I won't be able to watch the livestream, but I'll definitely check it out later on. Thanks for sharing, Eric!
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
galadhion
Maid
Maid

Post by galadhion »

Jay uploaded the entire thing to his twitch channel. You can hear Ed talk about the origin of Eilistraee (a request from a Black editor at TSR to have a good drow god), the original intent with her, and how he came up with the name for her. You can also hear all my crazy ramblings about how to use Eilistraee in the Realms and get a free download of the shrine to Eilistraee in the Misty Forest which Ed approved as canon!
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/887035939
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

It was interesting to listen to. Not really much lore to be learned about Eilistraee. The one thing that Ed said was TSR asked him to come up with more Deities for the Drow and that Eilistraee name was made up then, to start with an E because there were not many deities already in the Realms that names started with that letter.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

It was nice to actually get to hear Ed say Eilistraee's name so many time, but is it just me or is he pronouncing her name as ILL-iss-Tray-ee because that is what it sounds like he is pronouncing it as to me. Kind of wish he did mentioned some more concert plans for her and her faithful in the close future. I can't really remember him saying in the stream about any appearances coming up and I haven't really be fallowing any D&D news.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Leema Har'gachi wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:11 am It was nice to actually get to hear Ed say Eilistraee's name so many time, but is it just me or is he pronouncing her name as ILL-iss-Tray-ee because that is what it sounds like he is pronouncing it as to me. Kind of wish he did mentioned some more concert plans for her and her faithful in the close future. I can't really remember him saying in the stream about any appearances coming up and I haven't really be fallowing any D&D news.
Well considering that the focus of host is Greyhawk we were lucky to even hear Eilistraee discussed. My sound feed was not all that good, however Ed did mention had throat surgery that limited the range of what can be vocalized. The specific was about rolling RRs IIRC. I do know Ed in the past has typed out how Eilistraee is to be sounded out.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

Bhaern Quel wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:19 am
Leema Har'gachi wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:11 am It was nice to actually get to hear Ed say Eilistraee's name so many time, but is it just me or is he pronouncing her name as ILL-iss-Tray-ee because that is what it sounds like he is pronouncing it as to me. Kind of wish he did mentioned some more concert plans for her and her faithful in the close future. I can't really remember him saying in the stream about any appearances coming up and I haven't really be fallowing any D&D news.
Well considering that the focus of host is Greyhawk we were lucky to even hear Eilistraee discussed. My sound feed was not all that good, however Ed did mention had throat surgery that limited the range of what can be vocalized. The specific was about rolling RRs IIRC. I do know Ed in the past has typed out how Eilistraee is to be sounded out.
Yeah, I remember his statement about the chosen of Mystra using the AISLE-iss-try-ee pronouncement.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Last ones were her entry in the Mordenkainen sourcebook, some AL adventures (she's set up shop in Maerimydra), and her being a player character deity in Baldur's Gate III. Ed gave out quite a bit of lore about her--about her followers and Qilué, mostly--in 2020 (all already added to the wiki). Eric also says that his Misty Forest shrine has also been approved as canon, so there's also that (I'll add it to the wiki in the future).
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.