Veil of Madness

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Post by Alaunavin_Arabana »

Her eyes wide, Alaunavin couldn't control the laugh that came out of her as her hands covered her mouth. After she got her composer back she looks to Vorrick and said, "That was a little over the top my friend, but after what you had gone through I think she's got the picture." A smile came across her face to see that he was much better than when she first met him. She was happy for him, for he did this on his own with the presence of the Goddess. It was not her words that had done this, no, it was him. She almost glowed of happiness for him.

Alaunavin looked to the others one by one and said, "Lily needs some assisting to help with Silke's father, I think it is wise to bring the party there to finish up with him and get some rest ourselves." With that Dash came closer looking worried for his sister. "Go my brother and see your sister, she will be fine." With a pat on the head she sent him and the pack to where Lily was waiting for them. Alaunavin started down the path after them.
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

Post by BaravarImrathiln »

"Rather a lot, I suspect." He frowns at Vorrick, mildly confused about the whole Eilistraee appearance episode. Clearly his skill wasn't needed to heal anyone at this point.

"She is not likely to survive long running headlong into the forest." The Ranger taps the ribs of the small dragon curled around his neck.

"Modi...Find her. Find another Ranger to watch after her, or bring her back if you can." The little dragon chirps in mild scorn at being awakened from his warm, comfy spot. But he dutifully flaps off into the woods after the fleeing Priestess.

"I trust that when Modi returns with her, you will not kill her? She needs teaching, not suffering."
I do not love the bright Sword for its sharpness,
nor the Arrow for its swiftness,
nor the Warrior for his glory.
I love only that which they defend."
~ JRR Tolkien
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

Vorrick looks to Baravar still grinning and says, "I wil not, but I'd be more concerned she'd try to kill me. Illorya is not long out of the Underdark, a year or two at most, and she will see something in my inaction. She will take it as some plot or me just tormenting her while she waits for the strike that will never come."

Looking in the direction Illorya ran he continues, "Besides I don't think you could convince her to come back. I made sure she believed every word I said." Turning back to Baravar he finishes, "I suspect though that there is an enclave nearby, four priestesses wouldn't wander far into the woods. She may be lost but in time she'll find her way back. How well does your little friend know direction?"
I never stab people in the back, it's much more pleasurable to be able to see the expression on their face.

Usstan xunus ol, Usstan saphun ol, lu''Dorn xun ol ''sohna
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

"I think it was a little above what was called for, but in her case is she is only newly on the surface maybe she will learn in time."

Silke turned and strode off after Alaunavin in the direction of her little camp. She sheathed her sword-rapier and dagger in the same motion.

"Follow me."

Silke did not bother to conceal herself this time. With each of her steps she increased her pace until she was running with Alaunavin/ Eilistraee.
Drow on the Surface face as many dangers as those in the Underdark. Just because the Rivvil is friendly does not mean he wishes to help you, he may just want to get you off guard before knifing you.
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

"He's rather more intelligent than one might expect from his size. And he is familiar with me and with the area. He's not a pet, but he's been with me for a long time. He knows the compass as well as any Ranger. But if you mean, how well does he obey me? That, well..He's a willful creature."

Baravar pauses, walking along behind Alaunavin and Silke, seeing no great cause to run, as Silke and Alaunavin are leaving so large a trail that he barely has to concentrate at all to follow them.

"I still do not think you did rightly to send her into the woods as you did. We are far from any temples, and any Enclave that might be hiding here is doing so, likely to be here because they have some vague misgivings about what they do. And that is not the sort of company she will need if she is to learn ways that are better than the one she follows."

((OOC: I'm willing to take over Illorya, if you'd rather not play her if/when she comes back.))
~ JRR Tolkien
Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Alaunavin stopped in her tracks as she turned to the others, "I am sorry to have laughed for it was I and not the Dark Maiden who had spoke." She turns her gaze to the ground and wished she had thought before she had spoken.

Eilistraee didn't say a word for she couldn't change anything she just stayed back and watched what Alaunavin would do. She had confidence in her for all have a different site on life and she was not going to control her free will.

Alaunavin looked to the ranger and said, "I will make my amens to her after we fix Silke's father. Even though I think she deserved it in the end, now that I think of it more I was no better than she was for letting her go." With a sigh she feels the guilt with in her. With a warm feeling of the Dark Maiden to help her feel that was her decision to let her do as she pleased. What ever her she would do the Maiden would not make her do anything and she sort of prayed she would have intervened. "We need to continue, your little friend should be able to find us. We are almost there."
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

"Perhaps you are right Baravar, but remember above all else to the people of the surface we are Drow. Very few who live on the surface notice or even acknowledge the difference between followers of a particular Drow deity, we're all twisted and evil in their eyes. It is in these untamed lands that the Priestesses of Eilistraee can find solace, the elves of the surface are not welcoming to our kind as any claim of friendship may be a simple plot." Walking alongside Baravar Vorrick sighs audibly, "I will never forgive her for what she put me through but you may be correct that driving her off was rash."

Examining his surrounding Vorrick slumps his shoulders. He hated admitting he was wrong but he knew he was.

Nudging Baravar's arm Vorrick grins and says, "Just remember if she comes back and kills me in my sleep I'll haunt you for life." Laughing out loud Vorrick claps the other man on the shoulder.

<OOC: If you want to take over Illorya go right ahead>
I never stab people in the back, it's much more pleasurable to be able to see the expression on their face.

Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Looking to the two men, she speaks to Vorrick, "I have never lived in the underdark nor can I say I have ever been treated others with such hatred. I am ashamed of myself for allowing her to go. I should have stopped her." Feeling as she has done a great wrong she walks faster to be more alone, and to see her furry friend once again. Alaunavin did not mean to get all emotional, she just hates when others judge a book by the cover and not the pages that lay under it. Reason why she did not judge Vorrick because of what he is, she knows she looks the same but was brought up on the surface.

Alaunavin, closed her eyes and remembered what her mother looked like so many years ago. She had nasty scars from her own kind. She then looks back to Vorrick and sees the same marks on him tears comes to her eyes as she feels each lash and slice upon her own skin. She turns and continues on the path as she lets out a breath that soon this will be over and they will all be parting on their own paths, so she thinks.
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

"Alaunavin don't worry over it. If she takes the low road and seeks vengance it will be her sin. If she comes after me, I will not be reluctant to defend myself to the full. If she strikes at me through my friends she will find though the two of them aren't natives of this world they are both experienced warriors and Major Patwin will likely kill her before she knows what hit her. Rangers in his world are skilled and deadly warriors that use stealth and cunning as well as might to win their battles."

Silke looked around still wondering what happened to the unknown archer that wounded Illorya. [i:2sbvg1jv]Where are you my friend? Have you taken up stalking the Illorya and her companion or are you following us?[/i:2sbvg1jv]
Drow on the Surface face as many dangers as those in the Underdark. Just because the Rivvil is friendly does not mean he wishes to help you, he may just want to get you off guard before knifing you.
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

The Ranger nods a little.

"I wouldn't worry about it too much, my friend. She fears you too much to attempt any such thing. Besides, she is not truly evil, though I admit she is woefully misguided." The Ranger chuckles softly and shrugs, adjusting the saddlebags on his shoulder. He somehow moved with an effortless grace that made him almost glide over the top of the sticks and leaf-litter, so silent it was almost as if Vorrick were walking beside a ghost. But if Vorrick were to look closely, he would notice a slight limp in the Ranger's step. Not a limp of old age or debility, but the track and sign of an old battle, hard fought and maybe lost.

"I'm no priest or scholar, but I suspect that she thought she was acting rightly. Such things do happen, even to the followers of the purest deities, I suspect." Baravar did not claim to be a theologian or a loremaster, but he had seen much in his time on the surface, and had learned much from the beings he paid his allegiance to.
~ JRR Tolkien
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

"I have no doubts that she thought she was acting rightly. As I said she is new to the surface and in the Underdark standing and prestige is all she would have had. In some ways it was my fault for provoking her, when I faced her and treated her as an equal I took that from her. I do not absolve her from her actions but a man must take some responsibility for poking the bear when it attacks him."

Looking at Alaunavin Vorrick was trying to hide his shock. It was so rare to see one of his people cry and he had to force himself to remember she had not endure the harsh life of the Underdark where a moment of weakness could result in your death. Quickening his pace to walk beside her he speaks without looking at her, "I can tell you wish to be alone so I shall be brief. In many ways I envy you, you are able to show genuine compassion and that is a rare thing among our people. However you are not responsible for her leaving nor should you feel bad for not stopping her. I saw the fear in her eyes and I don't think an order from the Goddess herself could have kept her here."

Falling back beside Baravar Vorrick notices his limp. Not wanting to bring it up as it is either a fraility best left unmentioned or a wound from a battle best forgotten he asks, "You seem to know the forest well, would you be able to point out some plants that are safe to eat? My pack is light and I suspect the priestesses who held me captive ate what little rations I had."

silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

"If he can't I could."
Then a dark-tanned human male with jet-black short-cropped hair holding a repeating crossbow stepped out of the shadows of a small clump of trees and bushes on the left of the trail.

"Silke, I thought you said Elves even Dark-Elves were supposed to be light of foot. I could hear everyone but you and the other ranger the whole time you were walking this way. So I switched crossbows with Andrea and waited for you. The wolf female Lily is trying to heal your father, but she is haveing to rest. She managed to heal his body, but his soul, mind, and spirit are still not well."

Silke looked at Major Patwin standing just in the shadow of the trees and bushes.

"This friends is Major Neil Patwin, United States Army, commander of the 75th Civil Support Team. I lead one of his teams besides teach at Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas back on his Earth. Major how is my father otherwise?"

"Well physically he is doing ok according to this wolf like creature Lily, but it will take more healing to bring him wholely back from his ordeal."
Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Listening to Vorrick speak, she did not want him to leave her side. For as she looked at it, he was her strength. Alaunavin looked to him as he looked straight at the path in front. She disagreed with him bout it not being her fault for that is how she has always been. Taking the world on her shoulders and fighting to protect all who is near, yet she had turned her back on this woman. Having a hard time dealing with it she just nods to him and watches him slow his pace. Could she have stopped her if she tried...

Alaunavin jumped as she saw a human come out of the shadows. Looking to him she hears something in the bushes, but not before she hears a nasty growl coming from Dash. Running past the new stranger she stands between him and a new threat... what is it... she hears the steps or pads.. "Wolf!"

Dash gets in between her and the new comer wolf. The pack comes and surrounds it. He is black as the moonless night sky, with eyes of a demon. Alaunavin has met up with this wolf more than once yet she has not been able to bring herself to kill him. There was a patch of fur missing with a white scar she has left from the last battle with him... as he almost took her life that one time... Lily had saved her life that night. Alaunavin looks to the others with fear in her eyes telling them with out a word don't move.

Alaunavin closed her eyes and chanted her spell of light for she sensed he had others near by... she out stretched her hand and a magical bow and arrow lit... the longer she chanted the brighter the arrow got.. She aimed straight up, before she could let go of the arrow the black wolf Phantom lunged. Dash missed him by a tails length which shocked the heck out of him. Phantom has gotten faster and stronger just like the demon he is.

Alaunavin leg to of the arrow right into the chest of this demon wolf and it did not touch him as it whistled through him and in the air illuminating up the whole area... Just to show there were five others out there waiting to attack the small group. Thinking as this wolf bites her, how did they not sense them, with a scream of pain shooting through her right shoulder. Alaunavin told them "These wolves don't listen to no one but their master.. and I fear it is a drow lord who controls them... they have been after me for years and years. They have been hunting my allied wolves and killing them off one by one, the only ones who almost cant be killed are Lily and Dash, but Lily is in not good shape at the moment. We must protect her and everyone else who is not from this world."
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

Almost on instinct Patwin turned in the direction of the new threat and the repeating crossbow was if it were an extension of his arm. The twang of its bow string broke the silence that followed Alaunavin's statement. The frist bolt hit one of the new wolves just above its right shoulder penetrating deep into the heart of the creature. As it toppled over like a felled tree a second bolt bridged the gap between the malevolent pack of wolves. This one transvexed the next animals neck severing its spinal cord just below the base of its skull. This one went to the ground with a solid thump. Yet a third bolt raced down range and punctured the lungs of a third member of the dark pack of wolves. It was down as fast as the bolt struck it.

Patwin had the next bolt ready and was aiming at another of the pack when a familiar howl. Then a large grey tember wolf sprang from nowhere and attacked the scarred back black wolf. Patwin sensed that this was his guardian spirit though on Earth he had only seen during his vision quest to find his animal spirit. Here it was in all its wild glory. Patwin loosed the fourth bolt of his volley at a member of the pack that was racing to assist its pack leader. This one stumbled over rolling head over tail and lay on its back with a bolt in its chest. The only sounds that broke the air were the snarls from the fight between Patwin's Spirit Animal and the pack leader and the mechanical rachetting of the lever system that cocked the string, and loaded the fifth and last bolt of the crossbow. Patwin had worked the weapon as if it were a natural part of him. [i:3ni2uneh]It was little wonder as I've used this same model of crossbow on many missions both on and off Earth over the past seven years.[/i:3ni2uneh]

"Sorry I did not mean to startle anyone, but it looked like the odds needed adjusting in our favor. I am Major Neil Alan Patwin, Major of Infantry, Kansas Army National Guard and United States Army Ranger. Silke we can leave the rest of the introductions to after this fight, don't you think?"

As soon as he spoke a blue beam of light streaked across pack and connected with the pack leader. Silke's eyes traced it back to a familiar looking high Elf standing some distance to the rear of the pack. With her was one of her animal companions a large bear that resembled an Alaskan Kodiak. Then Silke heard a slight feline snarl at her side. She looked down and Wene's lynx was next to her as if he was protecting the Shadow of the Dark Maiden. Then there was the unmistakable cawing of Wene's raven as it repeatedly dived on other members of the pack. [i:3ni2uneh][b:3ni2uneh]Wenedhelreil![/b:3ni2uneh] So you finally caught up with us.[/i:3ni2uneh]

"What ever anyone else does, don't strike at the Elven mage!"

Then Silke saw Wene's bear charge into the fray. Its massive paws would rake one wolf tossing it into the air only to land in a limp heap yards away from where it once stood. Then the bear took another in its massive jaws and crunched its neck before dropping its corpse and moving on to another. All the while it seemed as if Wenedhelriel's spell was draining the energy from the scarred backed wolf.

"Alaunavin it looks as if your Drow Lord won't have much of a pack of wolves left it this keeps up! What do you say!"
Last edited by silke_rahn on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Phantom growled as he watched his pack fall one by one, "This is what I get for working with animals who don't have a demon apart of them" He looked looked to Alaunavin who fighting to keep herself conscious, her eyes changed colors and he turned to fear the look with in this drow.

Alaunavin hand went up to stop the fighting between them... With out saying a word, all stopped... Looking confused the wolves looked to Alaunavin as she stood up. The Dark Maiden's voice rang clear through the woods. "Stop! Stop I say! What manner of you is to attack us when we don't attack you first. The master of yours is calling for you Phantom, you should go back with this message..." A pause as the Goddess herself chants a spell as her out stretched hand begins to glow. Phantom starts to back up but stops as he did not wish to die by this drow. She touched his forehead and with it a shock of electricity to imprint the message and reminder on this wolf. "IF I SEE YOU COME AFTER THIS DROW, I WILL BRING DOWN YOUR FAMILY PERSONALLY! Now go Phantom and bring the rest of your pack with you. Also... if I see you around this child again I will make sure your turned into a stew."

After Phantom was far away, Eilistraee told the others bout how this drow family keeps attacking Alaunavin. "She was born and raised on the surface but her family was killed by this lord. He is not even well known and was not born into it. They know she has great powers that are natural to her which the rest would have to learn and work hard to get. They are as powerful as the us, but she choses not to use them, except with her bow. She knows no hate, but she does know suffering from lose of her family."

With that she left the conscious part and let Alaunavin have control once again as she knows it takes its toll upon her.