Veil of Madness

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Post by Alaunavin_Arabana »

A startled Alaunavin watched Vorrick put back his weapon and listened to his questions. She looked deep into his eyes and saw he had not asked the real question. Alaunavin felt the Dark Maiden stir with in her and with that she closed her eyes and thought how to answer him. As she thought of what to say, Eilistraee sat back and waited to see what her little hero would do.

Alaunavin opened her eyes and looked once again deep into Vorrick's eyes to show him she was honest... " We feel we are being forced to do things we do not wish to do. Might feel like we are enjoying what we have been told to do. This I believe with my heart and spirit Vorrick... WE Choose what we do in the end. We protect those who we care for. Finally we protect our way of life, to be free, to love, or what ever your heart desires. I also personally fight for what is right, if I take a life, I will do what I think is right and give them a burial or send them to the Gods welcoming arms. But my way will not be your way, for we are all different and NO ONE has the right to judge you. Exspecially me, as I did with Illorya. I was so ashamed to have done that."

Looking away Alaunavin took a deep breath and looked back and smiled... "You are not the only one who has done something so terrible my friend. I am not as innocent as I look, I have been forced to do something awful... and it was by my own teacher... It was a lesson I learned the hard way and after that lesson... I refuse to do something that will harm someone else. It showed me I am better than they were. It was also a reason why I had a hard time when I intervened with you and Illorya. Now you need to follow your heart and not someone who has the power above you. Fight back if you must or keep following orders, the desision is yours and yours alone." With out warning she wrapped her arms around him and held him tight. Alaunavin wanted him to choose and not think she would judge him for his desisions for she will be his friend no matter what. There was still a feeling she could not shake and it confused her as she stepped back and looked to him and gave a warm smile.
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

Post by BaravarImrathiln »

Illorya slowly regains her composure, looking around above the saddles as she quickly wipes the tears from her face. She sighs and gently pats her new mount, thankful that no one else had intruded upon her during her loss of control.

She still didn't know where she belonged, and the return of her powers had only muddied the waters with their pull and the demands of her position. The Priestess wasn't sure where she would go, or what she would do. But somehow, knowing that she had support, not so much from Eilistraee, but from another person, someone who had lived in the World Above, gave her more strength to bear her fear.

So she works on dousing the fire and rescattering the stones that had held the flames in check, waiting for Baravar's return, and the sign that they would be leaving. She wasn't sure what Baravar intended, but part of her hoped that he wasn't going to tag along with this crew.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Major Patwin's elaborate introduction meant mostly nothing to the Eirish Ranger. He'd met beings from other Planes of existence, had even travelled to some of them. But there was an infinity of worlds out there, and Patwin's world was one he'd never encountered before.

He ignores the slightly spacey-looking Major as he walks back toward his horse, saddlebags draped over his shoulder. He returns and smiles, seeing Illorya dousing the fire and tossing cooled rocks toward the edges of the clearing. The woman had potential to be a real power for good, if she decided that was what her purpose was. He shrugs inwardly, knowing her path isn't for him to choose.

"All ready to go?"

She nods a little, hiding her golden eyes from him, knowing they're still slightly red from her crying. She doesn't speak as she sits on the log once more, drawing the rapier from the scabbard.

"You have been...generous...Baravar...I fear that I am not worthy of your attention. Anyone who keeps company with Dragons must have more important things to do."

"Perhaps." He shrugs a little and puts a hand on her shoulder.
"I probably do have something more [i:y1u6027r]important [/i:y1u6027r]to do. But I can think of few things that I do that are[i:y1u6027r] better[/i:y1u6027r] than what I am doing right now."

She smiles weakly and shakes her head, pondering the remarkable blade they'd given her. It was clearly masterwork, the weapon was made of adamantine, inlaid with gold. It was incredible to her that they had simply handed her such a weapon.

"You are a rare fellow, my Lord Baravar. I see why they follow you as they do."

Baravar shrugs.
"They follow because they wish to, and not for anything I have done for them."

He sits beside her, his warm, gloved hand gently patting hers. She smiles back at him and they fall into a comfortable silence as she ponders her new weapon, knowing they'll be leaving soon, either with the others, or alone, but either way, together.
I do not love the bright Sword for its sharpness,
nor the Arrow for its swiftness,
nor the Warrior for his glory.
I love only that which they defend."
~ JRR Tolkien
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

Vorrick returned Alaunavin's embrace and smile. He was not sure she was right, but it comforted him to know that he could be honest with someone.

Looking back toward the clearng where Baravar and Illorya were he forced himself to go the other way. Before heading back to the clearing where Silke's father had been he said to Alaunavin,
"We should get back to the others, they may need some assistance."

Heading back to the clearing he found his eyes always wandering in the direction he knew Illorya was. He snapped his eyes back everytime he noticed it, he wanted to avoid thinkng about what he would do next time he saw her. He was certain he would not kill her, he had promised as much, but it was still best not to dwell on it.

When he reached the clearing where Silke's father still lay he felt an odd itch all over his skin. He assumed it was just residue of the healing energy but found it odd he had not felt it before. "Captain Maine, how are your patients?" He was pretty sure he had gotten the human's name right.
I never stab people in the back, it's much more pleasurable to be able to see the expression on their face.

Usstan xunus ol, Usstan saphun ol, lu''Dorn xun ol ''sohna
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

"Medicine is not my specialty, but they seem to be doing well."

Maine looked at both her friend and her friend's father. She noticed a cord around his neck. With closer examination she fished it of from under neck opening of his coarse Rothe hair woolen tunic. The cord had a small metal disk designed to be broken in two along a perferated center line. The words on were in German, the German of the 1940s. It gave Hans' full name, his rank, and his German service number and blood type grouping.

"So Oberleutnant Hans Friedrich Rahn you've come a long way just to go back to Earth. Well it may not be the Earth of your birth, but it will be Earth none the less."

She then looked up to see Vorrick watching her. She smiled as she placed Hans' dog tag back under his tunic.

"He was a soldier in an army that no longer exist. His war ended long ago on my world and I suspect on his as well. I have been to three other worlds where that war was fought. I even helped rescue the sister of my commander from one of those worlds. Even the slave quarters of the House of Vrinn were not worse than the place that I found Colonel Mann's sister in. Pray to your god or gods that no one on this world decides that the best way to rid this world of an enemy is to herd them all into camps. Then murder the old, the very young, the sick and the infirm. Next you work to death the healthy of working age while feeding them a diet that ensures that most will die within the first three to six months of internment in the work camps."

Tears filled her eyes as she thought of the sights she saw that day in that camp in that other Germany on that other Earth. The man she looked at laying next to Silke did not look like the type that would have done such a crime to his fellow human beings nor anyone one else for that matter. He looked like the father of the Half-Drow female that Maine was proud to call friend.

"Back home Silke is a university professor, that means she is a scholar, but she is also a member of my unit in the Kansas Army National Guard. We have seen a lot together since we've met."

Maine knelt beside Silke and held her left hand in her own hand cupping it to warm it.

"Back home I am a former police detective, that means I specialized in solving crimes. When Silke and I met we were both in a Military Police unit. Later Major Patwin recruited us into his anti-Terrorism unit. Then Colonel Mann had our unit made his security unit. That is how we came to be on this world. Colonel Mann is gifted engineer and scientist. He developed a machine that opened doorways between different universes and this one was just one of many we have visited before. It was an earlier mission that found out that Silke's father was still alive and held as a slave in the Vrinn family compound near Menzoberranzan. Weeks ago Major Patwin and I finally made contact with Silke and we made our way into the underdark near an ancient Vrinn family holding called the Well of Eilistraee or Eilistraee's Haven. It was an old keep and village located in a wide cavern in an ancient lava tube near the surface. In the center of the cavern the ceiling had collapsed and a crystal clear lake was fed by a stream from above."

Maine laid Silke's hand back across her chest just under her bossum.

"It was a sad and beautiful place. Silke's aunt Akordia had destroyed it as well. In that battle Silke's great grandmother fell. We found her skelletal remains on the cobble stones of the village square right where she fell all those centuries before."

Checking Silke's breathing seeing that it was even and sounded somewhat normal Maine straightened out Silke's clothing and armor. The finely wrought silver chain of Silke's great grandmother's medallion glittered in the sun light that filtered down through the leaves and branches of the trees. The medallion itself was a silver effegy of Eilistraee holding a spherical cut diamond about the size of an American nickle in diameter.

"Silke rescued this from her great grandmother's remains and we spent a week errecting a tomb for her right there in the center of the village with the help from a world jumping gnome."

Maine looked around some more feeling the rays of the sun on her skin. It was like Lathander was carressing her and giving her strength to tell Silke's tale.

"It's kind of funny. Before coming here I never gave religion much thought. I went to church as a child because it was expected of me, but I don't think I ever truly believed in what I was being taught in Sunday School classes. Now a god of a world I was not born on has claimed me and told me that the creater made me his servant. Lathander spoke to me while you were helping Alaunavin. He said I was to be his servant both here and on my Earth."

She looked back to Silke with love in her eyes. The love was that which one sister has for another or was it more?

"Silke wake up love. We need to get moving and we can't have you unconscious we might need you and your skills some more."
Drow on the Surface face as many dangers as those in the Underdark. Just because the Rivvil is friendly does not mean he wishes to help you, he may just want to get you off guard before knifing you.
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

[color=blue:1tnj1e6e]The low chanting slowly fades as the cloud of inky black smoke brightens slightly, lit from within by an unearthly glimmer of pale yellow light. The glow shimmers a moment, as if struggling to maintain itself within the thick pall. As the light firms, it brightens, waiting within its smoky prison.

[i:1tnj1e6e]"What knowledge do you Seek, O Master?"[/i:1tnj1e6e] The voice from within the smoke is disembodied and slightly twinned, as if there were some internal echo to the smoke cloud. It is also hauntingly female.

"Does the Priestess live?"

There is a pause and the light shimmers softly before solidifying once more.
[i:1tnj1e6e]"I cannot show you, Master. She is veiled against my eyes by another power."[/i:1tnj1e6e] The voice is saddened by its failure.

"Does she live?!"

The light flickers and twinkles, coruscating within the cloud as if in pain. The light forces itself to resolve into a milky image, blending light and smoke into the picture of a large stand of tall, green trees.

"Who interferes? Why are you blind to her?"

Once more the smoke and light resolve into an image; this time a blue sky and a stooping falcon.

"These images tell me nothing!" The inquisitor growls, colour rising to his cheeks. "Show me the interloper!"

[i:1tnj1e6e]"Master, I cannot. The power that shields the Priestess shields her protector as well."[/i:1tnj1e6e]

The voice mutters curses under its breath, calming.
"I am disappointed in you, Oyssintra." He takes a deep breath, releasing it in a long sigh to punctuate his disapproval.
"Begone." He waves a hand through the cloud of light and smoke, banishing the spirit back into the prison from whence he'd called it."

The smoke shudders and curls back into a small black jar, which the questioner then corks and sets back into a metal box beneath a long table filled with equipment, some for divination, others for alchemical work, and still others with less-savoury tasks.

He takes a deep breath and extends his right hand, snapping his gloved fingers. The door to the room opens in response, a guard waiting there on his master's call.

"Send for the Sword."

"Yes, Lord." The door closes silently once more, leaving the Master to whatever work he was at. Guards learned rapidly not to disturb the Master unless called for.

The Sword doesn't take long to arrive, opening the door as silently as it had been closed a few moments earlier. As she enters, she drops to one knee, her head bowed and one fist on the hard, black stone floor. There she waits.

"Good. I am glad you come so quickly to my call."

"I live only to serve. My life is yours."

The Master nods a little bit.

"There is a wrinkle in my weaving, and I require a precise tool to excise the threads."

The Sword doesn't raise her eyes, waiting for her Master to elaborate.

"The Priestess seems to have escaped her captive's wrath. Find her. Slay her and her protector."

The woman nods.
"Hai."

"That is my wish, Alora. See that it is granted swiftly." The Master's voice carries a slight edge to it, hinting at the fate awaiting the Sword should she fail. "The Scourge waits on my other hand, but he is not so precise, and would destroy much in pursuit of this small knot. Do not inconvenience me with failure."[/color:1tnj1e6e]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baravar shivers a little bit, the small hairs on the back of his neck rising uncomfortably. He looks around, though his body language doesn't change, most of the motion confined to his eyes. Satisfied that there is no one nearby watching, he relaxes slightly and looks to Illorya.

He pats her shoulder soothingly as he rises.
"Come, there are better uses for our time than idle thought." She looks at him, raising one shapely eyebrow.
"Oh?"

He laughs softly, offering her his ungloved hand.
"Aye. Holding a new sword only tells you a little about it. It needs to be an extension of your will. So you will need some practise."

She looks at him oddly as she rises.
"I don't want to hurt you..."

"Nor I you. But better that you practise with me than against a foe bent on your destruction."

Illorya nods as she rises, admitting to his logic. If she did not know her sword, she would be at a disadvantage. That would spell her death in short order.

"Touche." She smiles and draws her dagger, and once more her remarkable rapier. Illorya still marvelled at the quality of the weapon, and at their almost careless gift of the pair. Now that she held the dagger for the first time, she realised that these weapons were made to work together, by the same smith, and with the same care. She shakes her head a little in wonderment as she assumes a guard posture, rapier in back, dagger pointed toward her protector.

Baravar takes a few steps away from her, turning his side toward her as he draws his twin blades. They ring, almost musically, as they leave their scabbards, the light glittering along the Draconic runes etched into the blades. The runes name the blades as [i:1tnj1e6e]Fiery Vengeance[/i:1tnj1e6e], and [i:1tnj1e6e]Icy Justice[/i:1tnj1e6e], twin aspects of a single ideal: Truth. His pose differs from her, his newly regloved hands one atop the other, the blades of the swords forming one long, continuous line from tip to tip. One blade points slightly skyward, the other toward the ground.

"Ladies first." Baravar smiles, though his eyes hold the hard edge of a weaponmaster.

She nods a little, circling slightly around the clearing, knowing Baravar will likely be able to match her. Then, abruptly, she feints to toward his face with the dagger, spinning slightly as she does. Baravar reacts without really seeming to think, his eyes not moving from hers. The top blade flickers around, deftly batting her feint aside. But the move forced him to shift his stance, opening his chest toward her spin. It is there, into that opening that she drives her rapier, the point making a line toward his heart. The thrust is expertly made, but ends with the tip being thrown wide by the hissing whirl of the Ranger's other sword. Baravar had only to tap her sword and her own momentum would cast her blade aside and out of position. The duel ends a moment later, Illorya on the ground on her back, rapier several feet away and out of reach. Baravar smiles down at her as he removes his blades from her throat and his boot from her dagger.

"Well done. You were trained well, but I think you are out of practice."

She nods a little, remaining where she is while Baravar retrieves her weapons.
"I think you're right about me being out of practice, but I'm no longer certain about my training, Master Imrathiln. It seems I have much to learn."

The Ranger smiles and helps her to her feet.
"Someone always knows more."
~ JRR Tolkien
Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Watching Vorrick leave to head back to where the others were, Alaunavin sat by the stream. Eilistraee noticed that her child is not well. "What is it my little one?" she asked with care and worry.

With a sigh, Alaunavin answered, "I have been alone for a great while and now I am surrounded by many. My pack and I have traveled many miles and seen many different things, but I am hungry for the solitude once again."

"Ah, but why solitude my dear? Isn't it good to be with others of your own kind and spirit as this bunch is?"

"I don't want to see any more friends get hurt, and there is only so much one like myself can do. I sense trouble and I am unaware of where this feeling comes from. Feeling this I know we must all move but do not know where we all can go that is safe for we all do need rest."

The Maiden smiled, "You know you can't save everyone and stop thinking you can. You need to start letting others help you. That is a problem you always had even when you were a child. Don't for get it was not your fault you lost your mother and Master of the moon elves. One can not be responsible for others only themselves young one. If you protect them you do with the skills you have learned and mastered, but there are times where your skills will be out done by someone with a better hand."

"STOP IT!" Tears running down her cheeks, Alaunavin stood and was hurt. "I will do what I need to do to save all I can with my LIFE!" Fists tight by her side and fire burning with in her spirit giving her a red aura bout her.

"Calm yourself child I did not mean to push you in that manner, I know and understand. Just trying to show you can still receive help in the process and protecting them." The Maiden then sensed the same with in her.. there was trouble and she did not know where it was coming.. she frowns as she knows this will be a mighty test for her little one.

The wolves heard the yelling and came running to Alaunavin's side. Feeling the tension they all looked and sniffed around, yet nothing was found out of the ordinary and sat in a circle.

Eilistraee searched out around to see how everyone else was doing, she saw the priestess and the ranger practicing and smiled... then frowned she was going to need all the practice she could get. Searching deeper she found Vorrick and the small band from Silke group... she would need to get Alaunavin to join them in a bit once she cooled down.

With a smile the Maiden made Alaunavin trip right into the stream and giggled picking her up "you cooled off yet my child" and winked.

"Your lucky your inside me, my lady, for I would have thrown you in the stream too" With a laugh Alaunavin joined the others placing a healing hand over Silke and spoke to her, "Doer ligrr, ol zhah draeval ulu ku'lam lu'shine. Udos ssrig'luin ulu inbau ulu natha sreen'aur k'lar." (Come girl, it is time to rise and shine. We need to get to a safe location.) Alaunavin looked to everyone as she spoke.
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

ooc: I have not, just been playing a version of Silke in Lord Of the Rings and another on Neverwinter Nights Two's The Forgotten Realm Server. The LOTR version is a human champion at level 35, the NWN-2 TFR version is now lvl 5 Ranger 3, Rogue 2 and about to go up to lvl 6. Her name is Silke Rahn-Vrinn. The LOTR one's name is the same as the one in the RP.

IC: Silke snorted a little air out through her nose and mouth. Then she moans like she slept too long.

"Uhhhh. Hmmmm. Ah...um... how long was I out?"

She looked up seeing both Alaunavin and Andrea there looking her over.

"Hi ladies, did I pass out or something?"
Drow on the Surface face as many dangers as those in the Underdark. Just because the Rivvil is friendly does not mean he wishes to help you, he may just want to get you off guard before knifing you.
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

As Silke wakes up Vorrick silently backs out of the clearing and begins heading to wear Baravar and Illorya were last. He may not have been an expert in stealth but nearly a century of walking small around his female relatives had taught him how to leave unnoticed.

As Vorrick walks towards the second clearing he begins stroking the hilt of his sword. He had no intention of using it but it was a comfort to know it was there if he needed it. He worked hard to compose himself, Baravar had been right that the last thing Illorya needed was more suffering, and he wanted to make sure he didn't come across as angry.

Suddenly he heard a fluttering sound and felt something land on his right shoulder. Looking out of the corner of his eyes he saw nothing there until he altered his vision to see invisible creatures. Perched on his shoulder was a small imp, roughly as tall as his head. The creature looked at him and grinned knowing it had been seen. Stopping Vorrick gestures to a stone that would leave the imp at eye level. As the imp lands Vorrick asks, "What is it you want beast?"

"Silence Drow!" the high pitched tone of his voice and small stature made the scene of him giving a command almost enough to make Vorrick laugh, "I am here as a representative of The First, he has a task for you."

"So the call to arms is being made then? Your master knows well it may only be made once."

"[i:2pl7k556]Our[/i:2pl7k556] master knows very well Drow, the call has been made and you will serve without question." Again the sight of this tiny creature ordering him about almost made Vorrick laugh. Hiding his anxiety, knowing that anything asked of him he must do, Vorrick asks, "Very well [i:2pl7k556]little[/i:2pl7k556] imp. What task does The First require of me?"

"His command is simple enough even a creature as backward and ignorant as you should have no problems. He wishes your current companions be brought into his service, the humans and the young priestess are no great loss but he wants the others. The Ranger, the Drow who came with the humans, and the wolf girl; you are to turn them to the service of our master."

"And if I fail?"

"They will most likely figure out what you are up to and kill you, and I know I don't need to mention the price of betrayal. You will be watched."

With that the creature vanished. Vorrick shook his head and quickly and violently brushed off his shoulder. He could almost smell the reak of sulfur the creature carried with it. Continuing toward the clearing he tried to think what the demon was up to. If he knew enough to find them valuable he would know they would not be turned easily, so what was he playing at.

As he approached the clearing he muttered an invocation that gave an eerie light to his eyes that gave his words more weight. His lies were more convincing, his suggestions more appealing, and his threats more literal. He had no doubt he was being watched so a sincere effort had to be made, he just hoped he was right about his companions.

Entering into the clearing he raises his voice so it would carry "Baravar, Illorya we'll be on the move soon. If you wish to join us you should come to the other clearing with me." As he reached the two he noticed a change in Illorya. The hatred in her eyes had been replaced with uncertainty. Making sure he made eye contact he said, "Illorya before we go I wish to speak with you, alone."
I never stab people in the back, it's much more pleasurable to be able to see the expression on their face.

Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

"You was out for a little, but you also needed some rest. I do not know how that happened and I am sorry." Looks little concerned as she looked away. As she looks back, Alaunavin tried to smile and held out her hand to get her friend on her feet.

Eilistraee felt a disturbing feeling as Alaunavin did as well. They both hid the feeling and keeping a cool and collective posture. Both knew they needed a safe place to rest and regain their strength as one could only do so much with out rest. Lily and Dash both came running up and started to whimper. Eilistraee knew what they were saying and could not give the info to her subject... 'only Alaunavin could figure out for her self', she thought.

Alaunavin looked to the wolves, she could not understand them like two people. But deep down she understood them as much as they did her. Lily grabbed her hand and slightly tugged to the east. Dash was jumping in a playful manner, 'like come on lets move'. "Hold on guys we need to wait for everyone else to get their things before we can move." she giggles to how Dash is acting, and scratches Lily behind her ear. Concern on her face, Dash calms down and sits next to his sister. 'Just a few more minutes before we go', she thought to herself as she looks at all except for... fear comes to her as she could not find Vorrick, or the ranger.
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

[quote:2ubkygt3]As he approached the clearing he muttered an invocation that gave an eerie light to his eyes that gave his words more weight. His lies were more convincing, his suggestions more appealing, and his threats more literal. He had no doubt he was being watched so a sincere effort had to be made, he just hoped he was right about his companions.

Entering into the clearing he raises his voice so it would carry "Baravar, Illorya we'll be on the move soon. If you wish to join us you should come to the other clearing with me." As he reached the two he noticed a change in Illorya. The hatred in her eyes had been replaced with uncertainty. Making sure he made eye contact he said, "Illorya before we go I wish to speak with you, alone." [/quote:2ubkygt3]

The Priestess meets his eyes, the uncertainty in her amber eyes shading into regret as she turns away a little, seeming to shrink slightly.

"I am sorry, Master Vorrick, but I do not think that would be wise. Baravar has promised that I would be safe. And, while I trust your word, after what I have done to you, I do not wish to make a liar out of my only friend by testing your will." She sighs a little, gathering the reins of her white horse. Her eyes once more meet Vorrick's, slightly more liquid now than they had been a moment prior.

"Perhaps when I have found my place in this vast, bright world, I will be more at ease. I know I have no right to ask this of you, Master Vorrick, but please grant me the time to find my place in the world. It may be that there is no place here for me. But when I know, one way or the other, I promise that I will allow you your vengeance." She chooses that last word carefully, knowing that to call it revenge would be inaccurate. Her eyes bear a desperate plea, mingled with the regret and confusion. A desperate plea born of a single, dim hope.

Baravar rides up beside Illorya as she is speaking, and his handsome face betrays little of the dismay he feels at her words, and at her promise of allowing him his vengeance. But he doesn't stop her, knowing it is born of her need to make things right with her past before she proceeds into the future.

"Perhaps later, Vorrick, you and she can speak privately." His tone is cold, cautious. The hairs on the back of his neck have long since stopped prickling, but the incident has lingered in the back of the Commander's mind. "For now, we have to move out. The others are waiting for us, and it would be rude to keep them waiting long."
~ JRR Tolkien
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

Silke, Andrea, and Neil gather their belongings then make sure that Hans is ready to move. Neil takes a hatchet into the woods and the sound of chopping soon echoes back to the campsite. As Neil does some work in the woods both Silke and Andrea prepare Hans for the journey ahead.

Minutes later Neil comes back into the clearing that the campsite was in dragging two long poles craved from young trees. With some leather thongs he lashes together the two poles at one end. He then spreads the other ends apart to make a rough triangle. Next with some cord from a pocket on his pack he lashes a couple of the parties (Silke, Andrea, and Neil) blankets around the long poles and two shorter cross pieces he had also lashed to the long poles. After the travois was constructed he brought over one on the horse that the trio had and lashed the poles to the pack saddle behind the crossing of the poles to allow for the travois to fit the horse comfortablely.

Looking to Silke, Andrea, and the others Neil spoke,

"Let's get Hans laying on the travois and put any blankets and extra gear and supplies we have around him. Then we should leave and head for the nearest settlement the ones of that are Ilythiiri will be welcome at."

Silke and Andrea helped Hans up from the ground and with an arm of his draped over each of their shoulders they walked him over to the travois. There they eased him onto the hammock like sling made of the blankets. It sagged some with his weight. Neil smiled as the cordage held as did the rest of the lashings.

Looking around the clearing Neil gaged things.

"It is time to get moving any enemies nearby should have heard that chopping and may be on their way now. Andrea, Silke, walk your horses beside the travois I'll lead the pack horse from my horse. Have your bows or crossbows ready for any trouble."

Both women nodded their compliance and mounted their horses. Silke moved her composite, compound long bow from its slung position on her back and rested it across the bow of her saddle over her legs. Andrea rested her compound crossbow in a similar position. Neil looked back noticed the rest including Alaunavin had mounted or taken up a walking position near one of the riders.

Neil looked to the rest then spoke,
"We will need to move no faster than the slowest walker, but we need to move at a timely pace if we want to make the next resting place before dark sets in. I know you elf-kin don't need to worry about that, but the humans will need better light to see by to set up our next camp."
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

Vorrick noticed the change in Illorya when she met his eyes again and hoped his invocation was not so effective as to wipe away their people's suspicious nature. Holding up his hands he said, "No need I merely desired privacy as I was unsure how informed Baravar was of our...unpleasantness. I just wanted to say that I would like it if we could put it all behind us. We both made mistakes and we gain nothing by dwelling on them."

Extending his right hand toward Illorya he dropped the other down to his side and quickly flashed his eyes towards it as he made the sign for spider in the Drow sign language. Smiling he continued, "It was wrong of me to lash out at you as I did, especially after your loving goddess stripped you of your magic and abandoned you to face the wilderness alone."

Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

The wind blew through her hair as Alaunavin looked to see if the others were coming. There was an uneasy feeling and she could not explain it. She was sure it was of Vorrick, but Alaunavin new better to point fingers. She really like him and will help him if he allows it. All she could do is wait for him to come to her and the others for it and ask. Alaunavin was unsure if he was able to or not, she could only pray to the Dark Maiden to give him the strength he needs, and faith of his allies.

Thinking back to the recent actions. Alaunavin cursed herself for her actions towards the priestess. "You do know my dear friend, that is what us Gods and Goddesses do. Our job is not an easy one." Eilistraee said to her.

"But there should have been another way I could have handled that. I am not pleased with myself." Alaunavin growled for the first time to the Dark Maiden.

Shocked yet happy for her Eilistraee smiled warmly, and did not say another word as she has seen Alaunavin was able to stand on her own and make her own decisions from this point on.
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

Baravar watches from the back of Ardeth as the Priestess sees the Sign of the Spider. Illorya recoils from Vorrick with a gasp, her eyes widening in shock. Her new rapier appears in her hand a breath later, held steady as a ward between herself and the Warlock.

"Stay back! I'll have nothing to do with a Spider-Kisser!" She backs away a little further, bumping into her horse.

Baravar rides up, settling his horse slightly between Vorrick and Illorya, his hand seated menacingly on the basket-hilted sword strapped to the saddle.

"Are we going to have a problem, sorceror?" His voice is icy, tinged with the same razor sharp menace of his twinned blades. The Ranger's face is cold, showing little emotion, but the steadiness of his hand and the tension in the large horse show the tenor of the Ranger's sentiments. The little dragon bugles at the Sorceror as it flaps off the Ranger's shoulders, landing on the bedroll behind the saddle.

Baravar would rather not kill anyone here, but he swore to protect Illorya while she found herself, and while he had not seen the spider-sign, he could guess at what Vorrick had done.
~ JRR Tolkien
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

Drawing back his hand slowly and still smiling Vorrick replies, "No problem at all. Do think on what I said Illorya."

As he turns and begins heading back to the clearing where the others were Vorrick starts humming to himself. [i:2jw0zowj]Two down, and two to go. I assure you demon you will gain no new servants here[/i:2jw0zowj].

On reaching the clearing he stands next to Alaunavin and, making sure only she can hear him says, "Why do we travel with these...creatures?" this with an obvious contemptuous glance at the three humans. "Silke can be tolerated, she is at least part Drow, but these humans are so inferior. They die of old age before we even reach adulthood, their greatest magics are parlor tricks compared to even our surface dwelling cousins, even our warriors are more skilled. Surely if the Goddess loved us she would not chastise us for abandoning these weaklings."

While he spoke Vorrick placed his hand on Alaunavin's shoulder. His tone had been that of a teacher speaking to an ignorant and slow witted student. If his words were not enough earn her disgust he hoped the tone would be.