The Forsaken Daughter

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

The Forsaken Daughter

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

(((After a lot of thinking I decided it might be more fun to try starting an RP for myself, so instead of continuing what was going to be a story I've decided to use what I had posted as an opener for this little RP. I don't ask anything of whoever might wish to participate other than you not try to kill me right off...at least wait five seconds :p

And with that...)))

It was faint at first, a wisp of cool breath that did little more than shift a tuft of hair on her head. But she noticed it and it made her shiver. In the warm depths of the Underdark wind was unheard of, and at first she feared she'd been snuck up on by some beast, but when she turned, swords at the ready in her weak and tired hands, all she was met with was emptiness and the perpetual, eternal darkness.
Narsia slumped back against the cavern wall, her blades Sar ha-Panim and Soqed Hezi making a clatter as she all but dropped them onto the ground on either side of her battle weary body. She was beginning to think that this really was the end and that this time she really was going to die.
She reached into her mostly empty haversack that she'd looked through three times since she ate last and, once again, found not even crumbs or even a spare mushroom. She was again reminded of the fact she was out of food, and hadn't found anything remotely edible in days. She didn't even need to look in her sack for water, her burning throat and almost dry tongue was all the reminder she needed that she was out of that as well.
Narsia had thrown away everything for the sake of freedom after having had enough of the drow she once called kin. It sickened her to think she once admired that bitter old harpy she called Mother and the vermin sisters who were always looking for a chance to put a knife in her back and take her place as second daughter. Nothing was sacred to them, nothing but that accursed thing they worshiped. Too many had she seen sacrificed for the glory of that creature, that thing whose name she could not even stand to think after what it had allowed to happen. By all accounts Narsia did not even exist anymore and all traces of House Ny’Dhun had been erased and forgotten in less than a day. All because she refused to rip out the heart of her brother for his supposed heresy. In the span of a heartbeat Narsia had murdered her mother, taken Danatoth and ran. In the span of a heartbeat she had dammed them all.
What little supplies they had stolen were gone, Danatoth was dead and she would no doubt follow when hunger, exhaustion or the beasts of the untamed wilds claimed her. The corrosive venom of an immense spider had already taken her left eye and turned it black as the dark around her and by the way Panim’s glowing runes blurred she feared she would be utterly blind before long. All seemed lost and hopelessness welled bitter tears in Narsia’s good eye. She then began to wonder if perhaps she was better off accepting the Spider Queen’s way. At least then she would still be alive or not dead by starvation at least. If only she hadn’t let her feelings get in the way she could be a powerful priestess by now, possibly her elder sister’s right hand or Matron of House Ny’Dhun herself if she proved clever enough. If only she hadn’t felt pity for the sacrificed. If only the twisted screams of her murdered baby brother hadn’t pierced her so. If only she hadn’t cared, then perhaps she would have lived.
“No!” Narsia cried out weakly and her voice echoed for too long a time in that place before it faded. She could already hear things moving in the dark in response to her defiant cry. No, she did not care what became of her now. She had fought long and she had fought bravely for her freedom. She believed in something that was hers and hers alone, something that grew within her and was not imposed upon her like her mother and sisters. Though she may be about to die, she would not die a slave to that accursed Lloth! Even if her soul drifted into oblivion as punishment for refusing the goddess, Narsia would fade with a feeling of pride throbbing in her heart.
She felt it again, stronger this time. A chill ran up her spine, but not from the cold. A voice whispered in her ear, carried on the wind. It was bidding her to stand, to follow its call. Narsia did stand only to fall into a puddle of blood beneath what remained of a deep gnome she’d somehow managed to slay in her weakened state. Her legs gave out under her own weight when she tried to stand and Narsia began to cry as the skittering sound of some thing drew closer and closer. This was the end for her; she was going to die in a most horrible way without so much as a fight. She cried and clenched her fists around Danatoth’s swords. She beat the steel ball pommels into the stone and lashed her head about in angry defiance of her fate. She did not want to die here, she did not want to die alone and so full of bitterness and hate. This could not be her end, it simply could not be!
Again she heard the voice carried on the breeze and she had to strain to hear it over her own choking sobs. Still she could not understand, but the voice pulled at her and urged her to follow it. Everything in Narsia’s mind told her it was a trap and that whatever mage was casting this spell to compel her would only bring about the inevitable, but she had nothing left to hope for and that breeze carried a voice filled with hope, magical or otherwise. Narsia did not care if she lived or died now, she knew there was no hope left. So, with nothing to lose, Narsia Ny’Dhun slid Sar ha-Panim and Soqed Hezi back into their sheaths and began to crawl hand over hand in the direction the wisp of wind and that voice had come.
For miles she crawled, drawing ever closer to the voice while the sound of predators grew louder quicker than she could crawl. She knew they would be upon her soon, but she crawled on toward the voice.
Soon enough her good eye felt the twinge of some bright light in the distance and the sound of her pursuers stopped entirely. A new strength filled her and Narsia did not even wonder what had happened to her would-be murderer as she crawled faster and with a greater urgency than before. The voice was growing louder and the breeze carried into her nose the scent of life that she had never known before. Narsia stopped at last just outside the mouth of a cave and stared in utter shock with her good eye at what was before her. Even though the searing silvery light above her head pained her, she did not look away from it.
The forsaken daughter gripped an outcropping and heaved herself to her feet, then she slowly stumbled out into the light of the full moon. She did not make it more than a yard before her legs gave out again and she fell into a bloody heap on the soft grass under a large plant that looked something like the giant mushrooms she knew, but also different. Narsia’s sight blurred more and the renegade drow felt a great fatigue wash over her. She wondered if perhaps now death was finally upon her and she wondered with a smile.
Laughter erupted from the female’s lips, not bitter laughter but a relieved and giddy sound that made her aching heart lighter. The bitter tears she’d shed moment ago were replaced by tears of joyful release as she laughed and beat the tender ground with the one arm that still obeyed her commands. This was it, the place she was searching for! The freedom she had lost everything for was finally hers! At last she was released from the curse of the Underdark.
Narsia’s eyes widened and she silenced her laughter, straining her ears to hear. There was music playing in the distance and it carried a feeling that she had only just discovered: joy.
“What a perfect way to die.” Narsia said to herself, barely managing to mumble out the words. She took in the night air many times, breathing in deeply the scent of abundant life that was so foreign to her. She loved this feeling and despite being in a place she knew nothing of the dying drow felt a sense of calm wash over her like none she had ever know. Here she was safe. Here she was calm. Here she could finally die in peace.
And so she closed her eyes and let the last of her strength leave her, with the wind blowing over her, the smell of life in her nostrils and that joyful music playing in her ears so far away. She opened her good eye once more and gazed painfully at that brightly glowing sphere in the sky. She smiled at it and for a moment she swore a face smiled back, but it no longer mattered as the darkness enveloped her.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

As Malek made ready to go to sleep, his ears twitched with the faint echo of a laugh. Jumping up, he grabbed his nilarnen (plural for nilarn) and ran in the direction of the sound.

Just at the other side of the hill he saw a the opening to a cave and at the opening a young drow woman lay collapsed in a pool of her own blood.

"Gods!" he exclaimed as he rushed to her side. "What brought you here so far from home?"

Tears came to his eyes as he remembered the story of his great-grandfather. He checked her pulse and breathing. She was alive! Just barely. Even though he knew some healing spells as a ranger, they would not be enough...unless.

"Eilistraee, hear my prayer. Grant thy humble servant enough strength to save this soul." He felt a surge of spiritual power flow through him, and began the healing before he even realized he had. It was as if someone else were controlling his actions. A few moments later the power left, and the spell ended. She was no longer bleeding, and her pulse was stronger as well as her breathing. Exhausted from the expenditure of spiritual energy, he sat down under the tree next to him, breathing heavily.
Last edited by Malek on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
My patron deity is Freddie Mercury.

"If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise."-Pink Floyd
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

OOC: Malek a minor tip, do not post results. You can cast healing on Narsia, however it is for her to decide how well it works (if at all).

IC:

Narsia The music in the distance was of harp, horn and flute, the calling whispers actually becoming a song, _Come in Peace_ as a few priestesses sing praise to the Dark Maiden. Perhaps you might hear these as you fade into the darkness. The song ends abruptly when Malek nears you.

Malek You might hear a light padding of feet before you see three naked females carring swords rushing towatd you. One of the Silver gaired Drow speaks to you. "Get away from her male, we called her and she came to us, not you."

The human female kneels facing you, setting her sword with in near reach as she exaimes Narsia for injuries and condition. With a glance up to you with a smile. "Perhaps it is best you step back, but if you have water leave it. Felothe has a problem getting along with males, my name is Arnora and if you poss no harm you will not be harmed.
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

(OOC: woops. I'll keep that in mind. thanks for the tip.)

"I pose no harm to fellow followers of the Dark Maiden. If you need supplies my pack is at my camp, just a minute or so away. As for her injuries, I did my best, but who knows how good that is."

After saying this, Malek stands up with a groan. He feels dizzy for a moment as lights flash briefly behind his eyes. He slumps against the tree, breathing heavily once more.

"If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise."-Pink Floyd
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Narsia stirs on the ground, groaning at the sudden ache of her healed limbs. Her wounds have closed, but the pain rushes through her as she suddenly regains feeling in her body.
Her hands flex over and over and her breathing becomes more alive. Deep breathes make her chest rise and fall rhythmically and she seems to have, if nothing else come back from the brink of death.
Though her wounds have healed she is still drenched in both her blood and the blood of her last foe that she fell into when trying to stand. She is a bloody mess and it hints at what she'd gone through only a little while ago.
She hears voices and in the haze of her waking she mumbles, "Danatoth..?" and opens her good eye partway. She spies three figures, all of them female and each of them naked, though she swore she heard the voice of a male.
A grim smile tugs at Narsia's lips as she recognizes the women for who they are. She'd never encountered Eilistraeean drow before, but she knew the ritual they had been undertaking from the books she'd read in her free time. Naturally the first thoughts that came to her were those of stories she'd been told of surface dwellers, pale elf and drow alike who would kill her without a second thought for one reason or another. Even the female she recognized as human through her dyed skin Narsia expected to put that sword to use.
Instinctively she reaches up to her chest and clasped a hand over her House emblem, yanked it from her shirt then held her arms up, crossed over each other in the drow gesture for good intentions...as if such a thing was possible in the mind of one of her race.
"And here I was ready to die peacefully." Narsia grumbles to herself in the drow tongue, then she opens both eyes fully-exposing the sickly, black left eye beside a healthy ruby iris-and says to the female closest to her, "I am alone, a runaway with no reason for coming other than to escape that horrid place from whence I came. Believe me or not, I asked that you make it quick..."
And with that her eyes close, her arms settle on her chest and she readies herself for what she expects is coming.
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

A relieved sigh escapes Malek's lips. "Thank the Goddess, she's alive."

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Malek while Arnora is checking Narsia for injuries, watches as you step back and staggers. "Felothe see to the male, and not with your sword. Strangers are our friends." Felothe steps toward you planting her sword in the ground before you, at ready reach. She reaches a hand to your arm, trying to detect if healing might needed for you. " Leaning against a tree brings no water, if you are ready we should go male." The hand is gentle, but her other hand is close to her blade as well.

Narsia Arnora nods slowly "The male heals well, unless it was the Goddess we serve. Danatoth? was he with you, and behind you? Galia take a short look in the tunnels for her companion, I will tend to our visitor. Be gone not long." A hand caresses your hair, "Nay here you rest until we bring you food and water to traval as you will. We make no demands on you just rest until we get the supplies and with luck find your companion as well safe." You might notice the other female Drow charging into the tunnel that you exited from, sword at the ready but moving in silence.
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

"I am alright, I just need a good night's sleep. My camp is just a short distance, due East, if you'll follow me."

After a short walk you arrive at a small, clean camp. A bedroll is near a small firepit, and a light travel pack lies near a longbow and a quiver bundled up at the foot of the bedroll.

Malek goes to his pack, and after a moment of rummaging he produces a waterskin.

"I'm afraid it's only half full, but it's what I have. There was a spring about a mile southwards, but I don't think we have time to fill it."

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

The only thing Galia would find down Narsia's trail, if she goes down the few miles she crawled, is the mangled body of a deep gnome scout who crossed her path. And Narsia, skeptical as she is about the kindness of these strangers just laughs off the reassurance that she is not facing death. But when her end does not come she opens her good eye and lowers her arms. She studies the human female kneeling beside her and narrows her eyes at the question, fist clenching tightly around her former House emblem.
"She'll not find him..." Narsia says through clenched teeth. The hand clenching her House crest lifts and she throws the medallion away behind her before sitting up and leaning herself against the tree she'd been lying under. She stares at both of her hands for a long moment before it dawns on her that her sight in her good eye is no longer as blurry as it once was. She reaches for Soqed Hezi, drawing it slowly and keeping eye contact with the human as if to say that she means no harm. Once the blade had cleared it's sheath she holds it to her face and stares into it at the reflection of her eyes in the polished steel blade. She finds that her left eye is still too far gone to be helped, but the darkening of her good eye from the spread of the poison had not only been halted, but reversed to the point that her good eye is as healthy as ever.
"Healed..." she mutters, then drops the sword at her side and looks up at the human with a confused look. She casts a glance at her discarded House emblem, then toward the cave and back at the woman next to her. Narsia cringes bitterly, then holds up her hands in a gesture of surrender all over again. "You'll forgive me, I'm sure, if I do not believe you'll let me go so easily. I know better than that, human." the way she addresses Arnora holds no disdain or judgment for her species that would be expected. "But I care not. I have won my freedom. You may do as you will with me."
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Malek taking up her sword, Felothe follows you to your camp and glances about it. "The water should be enough for now, but if you are tired perhaps we should sleep here with you this night. Watch for us as we will return soon or sleep there is little danger here right now." Takes the waterskin from you and heads back to the fallen, sure that the male will not follow directions, glances her back trail a few times.

Galia proceeds along the back trail a distance, but finding no life begins her return.

Narsia, Arnora watches you and listens as you draw the sword her sword floats up near her. Arnora considers her reply carefully as with a gesture that causes her sword to fall to the ground again. "Danatoth was your companion that fell in the tunnels then? We will not look far there is strength in numbers of those you can trust. Yes you have recieved healing by the grace of Lady Silverhair." Her eyes study your blinded eye. "Perhaps even greater healing might be worked for you, but that will take time to know. I have sent for water that you might drink, food is nearby as well. Those are your soonist needs. Yes you are free as the moonlight, but if you will let me do what I want you will be fed, bathed and dressed in clean and proper clothing for the surface before you choose where your freedom will take you.
You have traveled the tunnels as have I which always hold danger, the surface is different but holds other dangers. I ask you to rest until the water arives."
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

Malek, though exhausted, does not neglect his evening prayer. A short, soft song to the moon. Narsia, Arnora, and the others might hear the echoes of an elvish song, giving thanks for the strength of healing, for the days survival, etc. Soon, the song ends and Malek, puts the fire out until all that remain are hot coals, glowing softly, as a guide to friends residing nearby. He gratefully lays down on his bedroll and is soon asleep.

silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

Hidden under some bushes in the shadow of what to her looked like an old burr oak the woman's eyes opened as she heard the voices nearby. Looking around the dim hole under the brush and bushes that she had dug out for herself earlier in the night the woman tried to locate where the voices were in relation to herself.

Andrea got up from the prone face down position she slept in. She got on all fours first before rocking back to sit on her butt on her calves. She adjusted her baldric and her weapons belt. Next she got into a kneeling position. She picked up her black leather broad brimmed hat. Every time she saw her reflection she thought that the hat made her look like an old French Musketeer that wore leather. Andrea adjusted herself more before edging out from her overnight shelter. Once out form under the bushes and underbrush Andrea stood to her full five foot seven inch height.

"I hear them, but where are they," whispered Andrea to herself.
Drow on the Surface face as many dangers as those in the Underdark. Just because the Rivvil is friendly does not mean he wishes to help you, he may just want to get you off guard before knifing you.
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

OOC: Uh, Silke? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Narsia kinda closed this one. It'll be up to her to restart it.