The Promenade: Shelter, Church, Home

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

veraka
Demigod

Re: The Promenade: Shelter, Church, Home

Post by veraka »

Veraka nodded and followed Qilue, tagging along right on her heel. Lady Veladorn was fast, Veraka gave her that, but what he lacked in finesse that she had, he made up for in size and strength, his huge tree-trunk thick legs propelling him right behind Lady Veladorn.

Veraka strode into the room behind Qilue, his platinum dragon-scale armor glistening every bit of light that was available. The aasimar looked down at each of the five Protectors, and then walks by Adian, his silver eyes flashing.

"Now let's see if you put those lessons I hammered into you to the test, eh?" came Veraka's booming voice towards the drow paladin. Veraka noted a slight fidget in Adian, as he said those words. When he made eye contact with the young male, the aasimar gave him a good, friendly [b:25qdc6n8]thunk[/b:25qdc6n8] on the breastplate, and nodded at him.
"Don't worry, Adian; we'll get her back, or I'm the Chosen of Bahamut." He gave the young drow paladin a firm, reassuring squeeze on the shoulder, and then strode over to his position, at the far end of the line of Protectors, and stood ready.

"So, who is commander on this mission, Lady Veladorn?" Veraka gave her most intense stare, knowing that this information and choice would determine the success or failure of the mission. The huge paladin loosened his shield on his back, and slid it over his left bracer. The shield by itself was almost half of Adian's height.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Adian's rage seemed to dissolve into a brief confusion.

"But...you [i:3gin3iqh]are[/i:3gin3iqh] a chosen of Bahamut," he said, taking the expression literally.

"Protector Iljrene is on-site and will command this effort," Qilue said. "Pay close attention to her orders and Cinder will be as good as returned to us. You will be guided to her when you arrive. Prepare yourselves."

Adian and the five Protectors joined hands with Veraka as she closed her eyes and began to sing, a single lifting note that seemed to float to the ceiling and echo back to become two voices. As she sang a silverly light began to form around the group. Soon their entire world became enveloped in that light, fading into nonexistence and irrelevance.

Moments later they were on the surface, blinking in the sunlight. Most of the protectors only blinked a bit but Adian and one other had to draw up their hoods. They were in a small alleyway between tall stone buildings. Veraka recognized the buildings of Waterdeep, the "Jewel of the North".

Waterdeep was a walled city-state, and the largest city in the northern half of the Sword Coast. It was possibly one of the most cosmopalitan cities in the world, with people of virtually all races there to trade and otherwise do business. The folk of the city were remarkably tolerant of all kinds, including the drow if they had legitimate business. The buildings were typically strong stone outside and insulated with wood panelling inside to preserve the heat. Because of its latitude it was fairly cool even during the summer and today was no exception.

As the group looked about they spotted a dove sitting in a rather odd place, perched on the edge of a barrel in the shade of the alley. It tilted its head at the group until they noticed it. Once they did notice it the bird flew to the end of the alleyway and waited, fluffing its wings as it did.
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

Walking through corridors and ignoring stares from bystanders, drowess pressed on with man by her side. Whoever tried to stop them, he or she was rewarded by furious snap of head and promise of brutal beating. So far, no one wanted to stand between her and lady's man.
Passing through illumination of dim lights, two were in living quarters, stepping into maze of passages and doors. Quickly enough they got to small apartment serving as her home.
Finally letting go, hands shaped signs of mystic powers, followed by words of ancients before her. Humming in rippling air occured, summoning bringing in creatures... [casts Summon Monster II]
Outlines of two canine figures shaped out of thin air, bristling golden and silver fur shimmering under magical light. Looking at G'eldfryn, they watched impassively as priestess pointed here finger at him.
"[color=#FF80BF:3rvv6mau]Wait here.[/color:3rvv6mau]"
She went inside. Behind closing door could be here rustle of clothes and loud clanking of metal, followed by big crash.
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

G'eldfryn grinned, not feeling threatened at all. He'd heard that there were people who were into this kind of thing. He waited quietly, eyeing the creatures.

"What are they?" he finally called out. "I don't recognize them."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Zyzaat barely had time to raise an astonished eyebrow before Cinder was gone. He turned on the spot, looking for a sign as to where she might have been taken to. His hands dove into his component pouches when he heard her mental calls for help, "Where are you?" He sent to her, although he doubted any spell she might be able to cast so quickly was anything more than a simple one way message. He sighed, at least she hadn't been transported to another plane...
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

There was no reply for two minutes. All this time dogs size of a halfling watched the man closely, one of them giving a yawn, showing flawless white sharp teeth.
Then, door finally opened. Instead of woman in overalls came out adventuress equipped for a journey. Garment of white shirt could be seen under metal links of chain shirt. Shimmering pads were covered by cloak and fastened by buckles of backpack on her shoulders. Belt had readied pouches and weapon strapped to it, broad sword close to her hips. Sturdy leather boots clicked as she turned and closed entrance behind her. Approaching male, priestess just shrugged, her neck adorned by dark black metal collar.
"[color=#FF80BF:2ehxlyy8]Dogs. Celestial breeds. Cannot say from where exactly. Usually I do not care.[/color:2ehxlyy8]"
Sighing, she regarded him with a smug grin, irises of eyes already having rosy color.
"[color=#FF80BF:2ehxlyy8]You have been drafted into shopping trip. If you disappear out of my sight or run out on me in any way, I can show you what happens to any male in any other city where castration of clumsy workers is usual procedure. Are we clear on that?[/color:2ehxlyy8]" Fingers produced a copper coin out of pouch, tossing it and catching it few times.
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Cinder could feel the brief touch of Zyzaat's mind searching for her before it was blocked by the wards on the place. One of the drow in the room, a male wearing robes, smiled with satisfaction. His protections had indeed come in handy.

Wait...what?

[i:3t5gjo4a]"Shopping?"[/i:3t5gjo4a] he said. "And what is cas...cast...whatever? What is this?"

He sighed. He really supposed he ought to have learned by now. He had this blind spot and he didn't seem to be able to get around it. Maybe he ought to give up.

No chance. He'd tried.
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

"[color=#FF80BF:2gikudeq]Lucky you, Promenade citizen. We shall talk on our way.[/color:2gikudeq]"
Moving out, she motioned to follow, dogs going after her. After making sure that G'eldfryn follows, Eo started talking.
"[color=#FF80BF:2gikudeq]We will go shopping. Correction: I will go shopping. You will help carry things. You have no say in the matter as initiator of this and main cause of my decision. My schedule is very busy, so we shall move quick.[/color:2gikudeq]"
Abruptly stopping, drow faced the man, winking at him.
"[color=#FF80BF:2gikudeq]Surface stores or Skullport market? Heads or tails?[/color:2gikudeq]" Coin in her hand jumped few times as she inquisitively waited for his reply.
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Veraka grasped the hands of the those next to him, and let himself be absorbed by song that rose in power around him. Then he was in Waterdeep. The aasimar had to look up at the buildings, truly impressed everytime he set foot inside the city; this time was no different, just a bit more anxiety in the air with the current situation.

The paladin followed the five Protectors and Adian, keeping to the walls and bracing up against them when need be. The cold breeze felt good on Veraka's face, his celestial blood and barbarian heritage giving him some extra protection from the wind.

Veraka caught wind of the odd feeling of being watched and looked around for the source, finding it in the dove. He stared at the bird for a while, before following the Protectors to Iljrene.

"I don't like that bird. Dove or not, its got a foul smell to that gaze. I don't like," Veraka muttered to himself, coming up just behind the Protectors, and waiting.
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
CinderSuru
Champion
Location: Ontario, where the free winds blow throw the sliver wood trees on rocky shores this is my home

Post by CinderSuru »

Cinders link to Adain was not so easily interfered with. " I am in the underdark some kind of military, with a man who says he is my grandfather " her thoughts to him were faint but still linked. Cinder was surprisingly calm for some reason she did not fear this drow, but she sensed he could be shifty. His intentions were not clear. He ordered some food for himself and Cinder and ate quietly across the table.

She focused on the moon stone Zyzzat had given her trying to use it as a link to him.

Suru appeared outside the ware house were Iljrene was waiting for the return of the messenger.
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

G'eldfryn's first reflex was to say "Surface! Definitely not Skullport!" But it sounded cowardly in his own ears, and if there was one thing young males of his age couldn't stand it was being regarded as cowardly.

"Tails," he said.

If they ended up going Skullport, he'd surely prove his courage. And maybe he'd catch a few pretty girls' eyes in the process.

Adian looked at the dove, then at Veraka and back again.

"She said we would be guided," Adian said.

"That would be by me," a voice said. A young man stepped into the alleyway, a hood up but not enough to hide his fair skin. "I was with Iljrene at the ambush. I know where she waits. Please follow me."

It took Adian a few moments to recognize him. A youth who was part human, part surface elf. A frequent guide for Chosen in the city of Waterdeep. "Pel". That was his name.

"Lead on, then," Adian said. He glanced at the bird, wondering why it seemed so much smarter than it seemed.

Well...not at the moment. The bird was busily going through its wing feathers for dirt and vermin.

The drow kept their hoods up to keep from startling the crowds...Veraka was doing quite enough of that himself just by being present let alone bulling his way through the occassional crowd. They were heading for a modest-sized building of stone. It looked like a storehouse of some kind.

Suddenly Adian stopped.

"Underdark?" he said. "But that can't be. She was on the surface less than a half-hour ago. It would take much longer to get there from here, wouldn't it?"

"She was taken into that building there," Pell said. "Lady Iljrene followed them here personally and has remained there since."

Maybe Cinder was mistaken. Or maybe...
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

The paladin found himself wondering more and more about that damdable bird than before.
"I swear, that thing is watching us," Veraka said beneath his breath, following the group led by Pel.

It was tough for the hulking aasimar to keep a low profile to begin with, let alone trying to keep up with the hooded Protectors through the crowds. At one point, he shoved through a merchant who was talking with a customer on one of the side streets. It was fortunate that Veraka was his size, for when the man looked up at the aasimar, he waved his hand and cursed at the paladin, but left his retribution at that.
Veraka continued to follow the Protectors, led by Pel, till they arrived at their targeted storehouse.

"Just give me the word, and I'll send that door crashing in on its hinges."

It was when Adian made his comment about the Underdark that the paladin halted in his tracks; "what," he snapped in an angry whisper; "How would she even know she's in the Underdark? She was kidnapped, for Bahaumt's sake."

This rescue mission was getting more and more intense by the minute.
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

"[color=#FF80BF:3rx532vk]Opposite for the Skullport, then. Here goes![/color:3rx532vk]" flick of finger sent the metal piece flying, whirling with abandon. Copper coin flew high in illumination of magical lights, for a moment stopping before entering free fall. Hand in fingerless glove caught it and forcefully put it against back of another limb. Licking her lips, Eowiewiel raised her palm to face moment of truth...
CinderSuru
Champion
Location: Ontario, where the free winds blow throw the sliver wood trees on rocky shores this is my home

Post by CinderSuru »

The male across the table had a cruelness in his eyes but Cinder could feel the struggle within him, she studied him as she ate, he was very aware of her probing but did nothing to negate the prob.
He finished his meal and pushed his plate away reaching for the goblet of wine, he stared at his grandaughter with a haunting expression.

" Clear this table off " he snapped at the guard " leave the wine. "
Cinder did not touch the wine " bring this young priestess some cold water " he demanded.
" You are her because i wish you to be here, you are all that remains of my son " he said coldly. " you will give birth here in the underdark, i may let you return to your young lover i have not desided, but the infants with stay with me here. "

Cinders stare was completely blank and void of emotion. She remained silent.
Her link to Adain was complex and could not be severed, although it could be disguised to be, as an attempt had been made to do so and the attempt triggered it to seem severed.
Cinder and Adain remained to have a fragile link, her thoughts were gently sent through the link " he wants our babies Adain, this man who says he is my dead fathers father. We are at some kind of military academy i was brought through a portal. "
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

"She makes mention of a...portal," Adian said, trying to concentrate on the faint whisper in his mind. "I think that's it...some kind of portal to the Underdark."

"What's that?" Iljrene said as she came out of hiding. "A portal?"

It was rather strange to see her, this innocent-faced girl mulling over battle plans. After a few moments she nodded.

"Very well...we go in," Iljrene said, assuming an air of command that was at a severe disonnance with her appearance. "Sir Veraka, you will take point with your five. I want you to strike through the main door on the east side. As soon as you do I and my group will enter through the skylights. Adian..."

Adian's eyes lit up at the prospect of taking action.

"You will stay out here and watch for reinforcements," she said sternly in a "don't you dare question me" tone. "The last thing we'll need is to have someone coming in behind us. [i:1mym0avc]No buts[/i:1mym0avc]," she warned at the rebellious light in his eyes. "You're too emotiuonally involved. I want prisoners, so accept any surrenders. Use lethal force only if you must. Understood?"

Adian ground his teeth, fuming. Considering how angry he was, maybe leaving him outside was a [i:1mym0avc]good[/i:1mym0avc] thing.

Heads.

G'eldfryn put on a confident smile. Skullport was a bad place with virtually no law. Your ability to remain unmolested depended on how scary you were...or looked. A very hazardous place to shop...unless you [i:1mym0avc]really[/i:1mym0avc] needed something rare or special.

This would surely give him a feather to wear in his cap, as the saying went.

Famous last words.