The Promenade: Shelter, Church, Home

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Re: The Promenade: Shelter, Church, Home

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Zyzaat scratched his chin thoughtfully and walked up to his paladin friend, "Adian, I have an idea that might work... you say that you and Cinder are connected, yes? Well I might be able to use that enchantment as a sort of string to lead us to her... however it will require a bit of trust on your part, I'll have to call in an old favor from a... rather unsavory person. Oh... and it will hurt. Very much."
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

G'eldfryn followed along gamely, trying to hide his embarrassment. Not even a quarter of the way to Skullport...

"Is he goign where I think he's going?" Maydiira silently asked her brother.

He nodded.

"Bloody idiot..."

"Whatever it might take," Adian said. "Pain is irrelevant."

If it meant getting Cinder back, absolutely.

Iljrene was more cautious however.

"Just what sort of character?" she asked.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zyzaat scratched his head, "Well... to be frank, a mindflayer. And one very gifted in psionics. Their wards are strong, I can't get through them in a timely fashion... but perhaps they have neglected to prepare for mind-magic."
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Iljrene's face took on a disgusted appearance that looked all wrong on her child-like face. Adian also looked rather disturbed.

"What sort of hold would you have over this...thing?" she asked. "Why would it try to find one of the Chosen? Surely not out of the goodness of its heart."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zyzaat shook his head, "Eh, to be honest I have no answer, to either part. Vhurul is no saint, but I did save it from dying in its city after the main brain was killed... and no, the how is not important." The mage shrugged, "He owes me, and while he is powerful, I doubt he would like to have a serious fight with High Priestess Quile, or you for that matter, even if he managed to trick me into helping."

Zyeke
CinderSuru
Champion
Location: Ontario, where the free winds blow throw the sliver wood trees on rocky shores this is my home

Post by CinderSuru »

Cinder was so tired she could not fight it, she tried to remain awake but her good sence took over.
She would need to rest if she would be going on a long journy, she had know idea were this city he spoke of was or how far it was.
" Adain please try and stay safe " she mummbled as she started to doze off.
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Veraka found himself nodding in solemn agreement with Iljrene, despite his near loss of control. However, two things had eluded him; one was his charge over Cinder and Adian's children. His mother and him had given a very personal gift to the two as-of-yet unborn infants, and that fact was what fueled the aasimar's rage at the bandits. However, he found it hard, VERY hard to resist the urge to punish those who were partially responsible for Cinder's disappearance.

The paladin decided to help out in the search for the portal with Adian and the other Protectors. It was when Zyzaat came in and offered his idea over to Adian that the paladin stopped and looked at him. The thought of bringing a mind-flayer into this was a little disturbing. However, if the mind-flayer turned renegade on Zyzaat, it would just be one more target for Veraka and his inner demon.

"Zyzaat, pray tell that this is not one of your many jokes; if we bring a mind-flayer in now, well, it's a one-way path from there. However, I'm not in command here." He looked to Iljrene, then to his very anxious and worrisome friend, Adian.
However, the aasimar felt that he needed to inform Zyzaat, and the others of one thing; "also, Zyzaat, Iljrene;" he started, looking at each in turn, "if that mind-flayer comes here, and decides it would be fun to tamper with my mind, well, let's just say that Adian has witnessed first hand what comes out when someone starts screwing around with my mind." The paladin looked to Adian, and remembered that time when he told the young drow about his curse that he carries, and the consequences of unleashing it.
With that said, the aasimar turned towards Iljrene, and strode over, leaving Adian and Zyzaat to contemplate his warning.

"Lady Iljrene, you requested me earlier?"
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zyzaat chuckled, "What is life if not one big game? The bigger the risk, the greater the pay off Veraka. I have an item that should keep the mindflayer away from your mind... psionically speaking, at least." The wizard rummaged around in various pockets of his robe and pulled out half a dozen diamonds, barely the size of the nail on Veraka's little finger, "I... found these. Ancient [i:2bewq8o9]selu'kiira[/i:2bewq8o9], you can put your personality into this, and best of all the mindflayer won't be able to access them-in theory." He closed his hand around the gems, "But I haven't really tested them..."

Zyeke
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

"[i:1fwp6yq5]Hurry up! We do not have all day![/i:1fwp6yq5]" Gestures swished in air as soon as G'eldfryn came closer. Ball of light disappeared, leaving little but use natural sight many subterranean creatures have, including drow.
Trying to leave no noise on her steps, girl moved through corridors with grace and determination. Her ears twitched and legs stopped their task.
"[i:1fwp6yq5]You heard that? [/i:1fwp6yq5]" Blade was brandished, prepared to attack at whatever she thought was close.
CinderSuru
Champion
Location: Ontario, where the free winds blow throw the sliver wood trees on rocky shores this is my home

Post by CinderSuru »

((( OOPS I made a mistake on the name of the underdark city Guallidurth on the other post... it is south of Deep Water in beneath another coastal nation Calimahar )))

" Theory, dear dear Zyzzat, you do like to play don't you. And just how well do you know your stones? Elu'kiira have been know to be possesive once they have gotten hold something, they could get nasty if they deside they don't want to let go. "

" Adain I am concerned about this plan, i do not like to see you take such a risk with your sanity, Zyzzat what kind of protection can we offer Adain with this mind flayer? Suru asked
" I tend to eyr on the side of caution here with Iljere and Verake. But time is important Cinder could go into labour if she can't take hold of her emotions, and i am afraid that is what Sarnor Medri maybe counting on. " Suru Sighed.

"I suspect that he is at some kind of out post at the moment, Guallidurth this were his house will be found. I can get us to a very fast ship "
Last edited by CinderSuru on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Adian had to admit that he hadn't thought of the possibility of the illythid turning on [i:1mvp1gg5]Veraka[/i:1mvp1gg5]. He should have, he realized. The tales held that these creatures were masters of the mind. If anything could set off Veraka's heiretage, it would be a Mind Flayer.

But Cinder was going to be carried away...might even be [i:1mvp1gg5]being [/i:1mvp1gg5]carried away with every passing second.

"I will...I will take the risk," Adian said. "And so on my head may the consequences be. If it means saving Cinder..."

Iljrene looked up at the toweing paladin. He was easily two full heads taller than she if not more. Nevertheless she had the air of one of the many training sergeants the warrior had come to be trained by over the years. She gave Veraka the once-over, checking for injury.

"Lord Veraka," she said calmly. "You came perilously close to endangering us all with our actions regarding those men. Worse, you came within sight of the edge of a Fall. I do not know what things are like where you are from, but I will not allow one such as you to Fall while under my command.

"Leave the interrogations to us," she said firmly. "Sometimes the iron fist must be covered in a velvet glove to get results. You came close to killing a man today. I could see it as clearly as he had. It worked, so I have little room to complain but understand this: Under my command the end does [i:1mvp1gg5]not[/i:1mvp1gg5] justify the means.

"At the moment...if Adian is willing to take the risk of this...creature...I need you to serve as an anchor for him. He considers you his dearest friend besides the sorcerer. He will need you more than your weapons."

G'eldfryn paused, listening. He traced out a symbol in the air to enhance his senses. Moments later he heard it...breathing. Very slow, very deliberate. Like something large lying in wait...

[i:1mvp1gg5]Ahead,[/i:1mvp1gg5] he warned. [i:1mvp1gg5]Stop and let me see ahead.[/i:1mvp1gg5]

He began moving his hands as he began to cast a spell. Presently a milky white eyeball was floating in front of him. G'eldfryn closed his own eyes and the ghost eye quickly vanished down the hall ahead of them.

"We do not know her current location," Adian said. "We will need to before you can order any kind of ship. I will take one of those crystals, though, if you think I might need mental protection," he added to Zyzaat.

Although he wondered what use a ship would be in the Underdark...

Lady Veladorn spoke into the hushed hall. Even the background singers fell silent.

"We have been informed that a group of Banites may be targeting the Chosen," she said. "And being directed by a spider-follower. Kin of ours have already been attacked and injured by them. As you may imagine this is of great concern.

"I will be ordering stricter security and increase the number of guards available," she continued. "But we must also contact other settlements of the Chosen. I will be looking for volunteers willing to take the risks of doing so and warning them. Non-essential expeditions from the Promenade are cancelled for all our sakes, and all others will be accompanied by Protectors. If you have the means, send messages to any contacts you may have warning them to be alert and to lay low.

"My brothers and sisters," she went on. "I do not doubt anyone's courage or capability. But we are not an army. These Banites are, and they are well-funded. A stand will be taken, but on our terms. Not theirs.

"I wish to meet with all the commanders and ranking priestesses immediately," she said. "The Lady's hands will protect us...but we must be prepared to arm ourselves as well for everyone's sake. Moon shine upon you."

She nodded her head and left the room. The ranking personel of the Promenade soon followed after, leaving everyone else to contemplate her words.
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

"[i:1sdyb51g] By all means. [/i:1sdyb51g]" Freezing in place, priestess clutched hilt of bastard sword with anticipation. Eyes tried to peer in darkness ahead, still they could not see farther than magical constructs of arcance energy.
"[i:1sdyb51g]Well? Do not tell me we met a monster. It is a little wrong time for opposition. [/i:1sdyb51g]" Palm cringed from sudden moves.
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

[i:37l3kp42]It is,[/i:37l3kp42] G'eldfryn said. [i:37l3kp42]It looks like...it looks like a guardian of some kind. It's got some kind of silver cord around its neck...big thing too....I haven't even read about anything like this...chitinous armor...multiple legs...opposable thumbs at the joint of batlike wings...[/i:37l3kp42]
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

"[i:1jatk04j]I did not hear warning about temple using monsters for that. Did somebody occupy this place?[/i:1jatk04j]"
Crouching, woman signaled again after moment of thoughts. Something similar to worry appeared on black face when it turned to her companion.
"[i:1jatk04j]Anything else? It's state, current actions? Eating, sleeping, watching us maybe? And a little more about silver cord, if you can. It may be advantageous if it is bound to wall or something.[/i:1jatk04j]"
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zyzaat nodded, and offered a crystal to Adian, and any others who wanted, "Simply press it to your forehead, the magic shall do the rest. I won't need one because of my nature... or rather I can't use one." The archlich raised his hands, and giving Adian one last look to confirm, began casting his spell. At it's simplest it was a basic sending, but the nature of the wards around the Promenade caused Zyzaat to make it more complicated so that the spell would get through. For a long time, there was no response, but all of a sudden a small section of the floor bulged upwards... and a hairless purple head broke through, shortly followed by an array of tentacles and a thin body, clothed in a nondescript gray robe. The hands of the mindflayer had only three digits, long and spindly, "Why did you summon me? Are you willing to collect on your debt for the sake of another? A foolish decision, I expected better."
It turned to Adian, "Are you the man who lost his woman? Also a foolish decision, bonding with one female for life... especially if she can so easily be stolen." The mindflayer's laughter echoed eerily around the Promenade cavern, it seemed that the words were spoken telepathically, but the laughter was real.

Zyeke