Founding a Facade (Part 2)

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Re: Founding a Facade (Part 2)

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

((i didnt know what to say or do. but i am staying in. unless asked to leave.
still using the [i:2zaanzmc]general [/i:2zaanzmc]layout, [url=http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125 ... g:2zaanzmc]map[/url:2zaanzmc] i made of this city, unless corrected. i assume we got past the first gate and your not referring to the bridge. again will edit if need be. ))

As Zarae was listening to the conversation and they got enough past the first gate, she pulled her piwafwi around her then took off down the path tween the fields into a swift sprint, determination in her eyes and on her face. she slowed as she reach the draw bridge, surprised by the fewer number of guards than she remembered. the male looked her over watching as she neared, asked her business. she held up her insignia then moved pass not waiting for his go ahead. the guard gave a few signs to another in the tower, but otherwise made no moves to hinder her.
Zarae stepped onto the bridge more memories of her homecity flooding back. over the bridge and into the market place, she paused, spun around to take it all in and figure out where it was. the changes were enough to confuse her. with some buildings crumbled in heaps, others completely removed or entirely changed, she couldnt place the alleys needed to find the old bard's shop.
if it was even still around.
Not thinking clearly, she again took off, hurried northward, near where the Bazaar useta be, allowing the city's temple and clock to remain on her left. a passing group bumped into her, calling out curses for her clumsiness; more that she looked like a low station, houseless rogue not respecting a merchant class. Zarae ignored them as she again hurried off, slipping around small crowds and stalls, thru alleys and past who knew what else.
but she had the sense someone was following her, discretely.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Not expecting the question, Maryne looks up at Zhay in surprise. A million reasons come to mind, most of them well practised lies, but she sorts through them in her head, wondering how to answer truthfully enough without giving too much away. As such, she remains silent for a few minutes, lost in the quietness of the Underdark before she finally replies.

"You wouldn't have. I came here as a refugee a few years ago, and enlisted into the guard." She snorts lightly, "They rejected me, of course. I could barely hold a sword the proper way and running around with one wasn't exactly easy for me. Not to mention I couldn't use magic as well as I can now ... though that's not saying much, I guess." She tilts her head, surveying the fading heat residue they were following and adds, "So I joined the temple. I never expected to get in, but I was welcomed as a sister. Things haven't been stellar for me there, but for the most part they've accepted me among their family, for which I am very grateful."

She shrugs and continues on, "And as to why you wouldn't have seen me around much ... I did my best to stay off the streets. I never planned to stay in the city for longer than a few months and avoiding people seemed like a good idea at the time. I'd really just started to believe that I could make a home here when I ran into all of this," she jokingly adds, gesturing loosely towards Zhay and the path they were following. "Now it seems I must make up for lost time. I've missed a lot about the city. It's embarrassing, really."

Just as her story comes to a close she notices ... something moving toward them, but before she can react whatever it is curls itself around Zhay's shoulders, giving her a clear view of a rather pointed lizard-like tail. Her brow furrows as he growls, wondering what it could possibly want of Zhay. "First a dragon saves you and now an overlarge flying lizard flies through the Underdark to sit on your shoulder? Zhay is there something you've failed to mention?" Irritation laces her tone. She is not used to risking her life for anyone, and the least this drow could do would be to have enough decency to explain to two priestesses of Eilistraee why lizards of any size keep appearing around him.

{{OOC: Pheu, I wasn't sure if Charir was invisible or not, so if he is let me know and I will remove his part from this post. :)}}
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

The drow guard looks wearily at the Deep Dragon that had given him a light thump on the hip, and steels himself, knowing full well that the dragon before him was powerful, and yet was also toying with him.

"Eyes in front, square your shoulders; this is not a circus attraction, Guardsmen," boomed Veraka's voice from the front of the pack, his platinum scale helmet barely turning to where a single silver orb could be spotted eying him from the front. The guard snapped out of his shivering mess, straightening up, as the paladin commanded, and continued to march down the street towards the Inn where he was staying.

Veraka then speaks to the deep dragon, his eyes still focused on the road ahead of them; "perhaps a stone did come down harder on me than I would have thought; but please do remember, whatever made the ceiling collapse had the capacity to use such magic to transmute the stone to clay, and then let it fall to the ground, despite my attempt to rush down to aid my former pupil. As to your other designs, call it an instructors intuition. Though you do seem to be glancing back towards the gate more often than I would expect from a dragon whom is guarded by both the City Guard AND a Paladin of Bahamut." His words weren't there to goad and prode more to simply translate a hidden message through them.

The aasimar then took a quick side glance at Zarae and noted her confused look before she took off in a run; the aasimar shook his head.
"Why that girl always runs off, I've no idea."

Whilst Veraka keeps the guards in line, and also focused, Neriah turns to regard Pheurazath; "Please, Lady Blackscale; we [i:30qoda75]bipeds[/i:30qoda75] may be have small broods, but most of those bipeds are humans, whom can expand at an astronomical rate compared to elves and other folk. So to even out the flare in that statement, most [i:30qoda75]bipeds[/i:30qoda75] can reproduce at an alarming rate, whilst plane-touched folk such as my husband and myself tend to reproduce at a slower rate. Plus it doesn't seem right to compare just myself and my husband to the rest of the biped population of Faerun. Just between us two, we possess far more interesting characteristics than most other humans and elves do. I find that your comparison between me and my husband to the rest of the bipedal, sentient population of Faerun to be quite biased."
The fey'ri had a smirk on her lips as she knew even a bit of her wordplay would spark an interest in the dragon.

Turning to regard Lothir, Neriah puts in; "Lothir, I hardly consider [b:30qoda75]that[/b:30qoda75] excuse to be worthy of note. Boy or no, you still were up against simple hook horrors compared to a destructive Tanar'ri. Hook Horrors, are, at best, a [b:30qoda75]usable[/b:30qoda75] creature, but beyond that, and having a very tough whip to guide them, they are as dim-witted as half of the males I've encountered in my life."

Aurora, padding along besides Neriah and the deep dragon, glances up at the female dragon, and stares into her eyes; [i:30qoda75]it isn't just out of trophy seeking that my little brother's mate speaks about fighting a demon; it was because it was for her own survival and the survival of my little brother and me as well. As to my understanding of your statement, I would know only of what I have to hunt for myself. I have never had the opportunity to raise pups of my own.[/i:30qoda75]

==============================

Zhay is both surprised and intrigued that Maryne would have tried for the City Guard. However, he knows better that to give her his sympathy for it. However, he listens intently, and nods where appropriate.
It is when the psuedo-dragon lands on his armored shoulder and speaks to him that he jumps slightly, startled.

At first, Zhay was as awe-struck as Maryne, turning to the priestess and shrugging his shoulders; "Umm, well, Maryne; I'm about as confused about things as you are. I know only of two facts so far, and you've mentioned both of them."
The huge drow warrior looks at the little dragon and raises one of his snowy brows.

"Forgive me, small winged one; but you're mistress is whom again? And why would she bleed over for my skin?"
Zhay detected that underlying 'jealousy ' and brought it up to the boiler; "and what makes you think that I'd be a wiling piece of property?"
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Strolling along after the entourage of guards, led by Veraka towards the inn, Pheurazath lets out a low rumbling purr of approval as the guard near her straightens up, then glances up toward Veraka's reply. A little further along, and she swivels head slightly aside and turns gaze on Neriah, listening to her noteworthy information, then finally answers Veraka, [color=#BF00FF:3am23zn9]"As I told the foolish priestess in the cavern, she was passing through MY hunting ground, my price for permitting her passage safely was to turn over her prisoner to me, alive. Since my attempts to bargain for him were disrupted, I decided to take him instead, before she or that ugly pet of hers killed him. The Lolthites are a nuisance to me anyway, and I would have dropped the cave on them anyway, had I managed to bargain for him. I was forced to improvise however, and seeing as you were keeping company of Drow females who do not treat you as a slave, and value the boy's life, I decided it was in my best interests to ensure you and your companions escaped as well. That decision cost me more of my own blood than I care to lose, unless there's an ancient archive of arcane lore, or mountain of gold as my prize. So, can you really blame me, if I'm concerned about the return of the boy, for whom I've taken all these risks? Such investments, I expect a return on."[/color:3am23zn9] Spoken like a true businessman, or in her case, worshiper of Aasterinian.

As for Neriah's comments, this takes more mulling over, but as the inn draws near, the spot where she will for the time depart their company to seek local temple for the best examination of her wings as she can hope for, she answers finally, [color=#BF00FF:3am23zn9]"Perhaps, there is much for me to learn of the varied biped races, would there by chance be any tomes of such information? I'd be willing to offer an exchange of information. Historical, magical lore, ancient civilizations... I am the second, perhaps even third dragon to inherit this library. Every owner has expanded it, in our search for Io's Vault."[/color:3am23zn9] Even that bit of lore, while it would surely catch Veraka's ear, even she doubts is recent enough for him to have ever even heard of. Elves were only discovering magical potential, in the time period that the legend arose, and it didn't take long for most dragons to dismiss it as pure myth, or for mention of it to vanish from written and spoken lore.

To Aurora she grins and replies with a simple, [color=#BF00FF:3am23zn9]"Patience, your chance will come."[/color:3am23zn9]

======================================

Little Charir hisses at all the turning about, and his perch bobbing up and down, little talons digging into armor (or clothes) on the shoulder to keep himself anchored and balanced. Fiery little eyes are narrowed at Zhay and his questions, a weak little growl let out, as he reiterates, [color=#FF0000:3am23zn9]<<Mistress is the Deep Dragon, Pheurazath, to whom you owe your life, Drow, she who slew many of your captors. All went well with her bargain to free you without a battle, until your shiny friend and his companions interrupted. The spider-kissers attacked her as she removed you from their clutches, and she began to drop the cave on them. Again, your shiny friend got in the way, ran out into the cave-in, and by the time he doubled-back he got caught in the collapse.>[/color:3am23zn9]> There's obviously a very angry and biased perspective to his telling of the battle, [color=#FF0000:3am23zn9]<<Mistress, dived and tumbled using her body to shield yours to get you safely into the care of these two females, and tore up her wings in the process. Then returned into the cavern. Much of the collapse had settled, and she rescued your friend. All are back in Lith My'athar now, except you three, and she worries more about you than her own injuries. If you've any sense of honor in you, you will hurry along to set her mind at ease and show your due gratitude. I would say you owe her a life debt, but that's her call.>>[/color:3am23zn9]

Now really, he knows he has no power to force this trio of Drow to follow his orders, but certainly does he try to put a sense of finality, and authority to it all. Of course, there's all the guilt he tries to use against Zhay for making Pheurazath wait, anything it takes to make his mistress happy, even if he's jealous of the 'stolen' attention.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

The bard looks at Neriah with a puzzled expression, and blows a stray bit of hair from his face as he replies. "That's true enough, I'll grant you, but I did not mean to imply that a hook horror is in any way compared to, say, a balor, but simply to say that the danger to myself in those tunnels was every bit as real as it was to you against demons of the Abyss. Keep in mind, I was barely even old enough to use a sword, much less run around fighting monsters with it. And all of this was completely without the knowledge of anyone in my House- so if anything had happened to me, no one would have ever come looking, because they had no idea those passages even existed. Basically, I was on my own, with no one to come running if I happened to get in over my head- which actually happened a LOT, now that I think of it. It's the Maiden's own luck that I survived those foreys at all! Take it as you will, but danger is the same, no matter what the source, or the abilities of the one in the middle of it." He watches the play of the deep dragon and the others for a moment, and then ponders the dragon's interest in Zhay. At last, he nods to himself, and chuckles softly. "Methinks the wyrm dost protest too much!" He says in an amused tone, and quickly turns to her, speaking in draconic with a definite accent of the mettalic breeds- <You're not the first Great One to become enamored of one of us 'lesser folk', you know. My own wife is the product of such a union. I find it commendable, to be honest.>
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Veraka turns his silver haired head to glance in the direction of Pheurazath, but then shakes himself clear of his thoughts. The Deep Dragon had to be one of the best tongue-players that he'd encountered, not mention an adept mind-binder with words. The paladin had caught every meaning that she'd thrown at him, however, he was still digging for the truth behind his former apprentice, and why this female dragon had such a keen interest in him.
However, he let the issue slide, on account of the fact that the group turned onto the street that shown the inn which was their destination.

[quote:2xrxm2a8]I am the second, perhaps even third dragon to inherit this library. Every owner has expanded it, in our search for Io's Vault."[/quote:2xrxm2a8]
Indeed, this information did catch Veraka's ear, even as he turned his head around again, this time the corner of his silver eye showing, staring only just at Pheurazath. It was, however, Neriah who beat him to the punch, when she turned about and spoke; "Through my centuries of being alive and surviving, I've run into my fair share of books and written material about all of the unique races of bipeds that are present in Faerun. I believe I have a number of such tomes laying around in my dwelling. You said you had scripts on magical lore?"

[i:2xrxm2a8]That woman has more interest in keeping her spells up, than helping me figure out some of the draconic history behind Bahamut, as well as what this Io has, or doesn't have to do with Bahamut and Tiamat.[/i:2xrxm2a8] Veraka thought to himself.

[i:2xrxm2a8]Perhaps you should take lessons from her on initiative, hmm?[/i:2xrxm2a8] Aurora chided back.

"And what is this [i:2xrxm2a8]Vault of Io[/i:2xrxm2a8] that you speak of?" The fey'ri inquired to the Deep Dragon, out of her own curiosity.

[quote:2xrxm2a8]"Methinks the wyrm dost protest too much!"[/quote:2xrxm2a8]

At Lothir's comment, Veraka burst into laughter, trying hard to quench his humor, both for his sake, and for the lives of those around him.

===============================

Zhay looked back, astonished at the little dragon and inclined his head; "very well, little Charir; if you insist that your Mistress was responsible for saving my dark-skinned ass, then I do indeed owe her my life for such an act; however, I have no doubt she'll be more than pleased to take that offer at maximize it."
Zhay had no doubt that Veraka his own version to tell of the battle, but until he found his former instructor, then he'd have to accept or reasonably acknowledge the words that Charir had spoken about the battle.

The group of three drow, and one little dragon, continued to weave through the dark tunnels, piggybacking on the heated tracks of the group that came before them. It didn't take long for the four to reach the outskirts of Lith My'athar. Upon seeing the city, Zhay gave the small dragon a quizzing look; "satisfied now?"
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Her tone softens as she realises that Zhay really has no idea of the dragons. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, it's just not everyday that a dragon risks their life to save someone. And usually if they do have a reason to, that person isn't the kind of person you want to stay near for long." She allows herself a little grin and then listens to Zhay questioning the beast, but it appears that it doesn't seem interested in talking to her at all. She misses this ... Charir's interaction with the drow, but from his response it seems as though it knows the dragon that saved Zhay.

She continues to walk with the two drow and Charir in silence until the warm glow of the city brightens up the end of the tunnel. Sighing in relief, she quickens her pace until they are at the gates. "Finally we're here. That walk seemed longer than when we went to the cavern before." She glances over at Charir and lifts an eyebrow in question, "Would your ... friend ... know where we are to go to meet this ... Mistress of his?" She steps in the line to enter the city and stands on the tips of her toes to peer past the line and through the gate, though she is not very successful, "Hmmm. I suspect it shouldn't be too hard to see a dragon in here ... or follow one."
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

[quote:3nne4bol]<You're not the first Great One to become enamored of one of us 'lesser folk', you know. My own wife is the product of such a union. I find it commendable, to be honest.>[/quote:3nne4bol]

This comment from Lothir, Pheurazath answers with a sideways glare, that in its delivery would seem to mean one of two things, either, [i:3nne4bol]"You're very mistaken and annoying."[/i:3nne4bol] or, [i:3nne4bol]"You talk too much."[/i:3nne4bol]

[quote:3nne4bol]"And what is this Vault of Io that you speak of?"[/quote:3nne4bol]

This question however is a nice distraction from people trying to analyze her, and perhaps a good change of subject, [color=#BF00FF:3nne4bol]"Now that is a good question. Most dragons you meet, who have ever even heard of it, will tell you it is a myth, and that you might as well go chasing after cities of solid gold. However, before the beginning of the Dragonfall Wars, Io, the Ninefold Dragon, Creator of Dragon Kind, supposedly sealed away the greatest and oldest secrets of ancient Dragon Magic, in a vault hidden in the bowels of the world, before Underdark was even named as such, and in a time when even elves had only begun to manifest the most rudimentary ability for using magic. Several Black Dragons, it is told, forsake a world of open skies, to search for this mysterious vault, and over time, the generations of dragons that followed from them, changed, and so the Deep Dragons came to be. Perhaps it is a fool's quest, but this library is as far as I know, the first of its kind among Deep Dragons, a genuine effort to keep records of our explorations and chart the Underdark in detail. There saddly seems to be more maps than results, but the fact that I'm not trying the same things over again, as the last few generations gives me hope. With such powers at my disposal, I suppose the one thing I'd most wish to do is find a way to put an end to the Dragonfall War, for good."[/color:3nne4bol]

======================================

[quote:3nne4bol]"satisfied now?"[/quote:3nne4bol]

Aside Charir gives Zhay a mild glare. He wouldn't be satisfied, refused to be satisfied, until he was lying on a warm, soft pillow, eating quality meats, and getting generally spoiled, since he can't stop this Drow from being Pheurazath's new obsession. he's unresponsive beyond that until....

[quote:3nne4bol]"Would your ... friend ... know where we are to go to meet this ... Mistress of his?" [/quote:3nne4bol]

Charir snaps his gaze around to the priestess, his telepathic voice focused on her now, [color=#FF0000:3nne4bol]<<You needn't ask me questions through him like a messenger boy, I hear and understand you just fine. And I am her familiar, we can sense proximity to one another, naturally. I find it a peculiar thing that priests don't have something similar, I believe Mistress Pheurazath would agree, it's quite rewarding being so intimately bonded, mind and spirit with another creature.>>[/color:3nne4bol]
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)