Time to Go to School

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

((on a side note, Inrii thinks your a new type of crazy wizard. but i will go back in Darkness and edit that. you seam to cast spells so what else would i think you were. ))

[quote:31gcg9y6]A very violent bunch, you drow are."[/quote:31gcg9y6]
"and you would be wise to remember that rivvil," the young sorceress remarked, leaning back and crossing her arms.
Inrii might have been very young, brash, and impatient, but she did have skills to back it up. and she could only get better with age.

[quote:31gcg9y6]"Not spider kisser. Never again will I tread that paths with all its pitfalls. Nor, however, am I in the service of the Dancing Maiden."[/quote:31gcg9y6]
the sorceress just smirked leaving things as that. Deep down, tho [i:31gcg9y6]never [/i:31gcg9y6]to be admitted, she sorta hoped the pair would join. if nothing else so she wouldnt be stuck alone with the strange male and his dolls.
Last edited by Inriiaynrae Jaelre on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Elwyn smiled, [color=red:3lvmlrl5]"Oh, a fact I am well aware of. You and every drow I have yet to encounter has never failed to remind me of that."[/color:3lvmlrl5]

He looked at the other two, [color=red:3lvmlrl5]"So, what say you? Will you two lend me your skills? You shan't regret it, I can assure you of that."[/color:3lvmlrl5]
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

Post by BaravarImrathiln »

Illorya looks up from her bit of dried fruit, raising a quizzical, perfectly-shaped eyebrow at the human. He was a puppetmaster, and that was interesting. He was arrogant, which stood to reason, it seemed. She holds his gaze a long moment, her own reddish eyes searching, seeming to bore into him as they stare at each other.

"You still have not answered my question, Human. We are supposed to join you, if we can prove ourselves in a simple task. I'll ask again, and it will be the last time I ask it: what is the task?" Her tone is icy, commanding, showing an inner strength that hadn't really been hinted in her behaviour before now. She had once been a Priestess of Lolth, and no weakling among that number, since she had managed to rise high without the help of a powerful House. Her bearing had changed in an instant from tired wanderer to powerful Priestess.

Baravar smiles to himself beneath the veils. She had strength, his student. She would be a force to be reckoned with, once she figured out who and what she was going to be, what she was going to do with her new life. Still, he doesn't interfere, feeding scraps of the questionable meat on his plate to the black draconic creature that had wrapped itself about his shoulders. It was the size of a large cat, shaped like a Red Dragon, but coloured as black as night itself. It chirrups happily at the meat, contented with the treat.
I do not love the bright Sword for its sharpness,
nor the Arrow for its swiftness,
nor the Warrior for his glory.
I love only that which they defend."
~ JRR Tolkien
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Elwyn laughed, and looked up, so Illyora could see his eyes gleam mischeivously.

[color=red:12ri6cep]"The task is simple. You've seen it, in fact. Tomorrow morning, as soon as we get far enough from the city, we shall spar. Her participation is entirely up to her."[/color:12ri6cep] Elwyn waved at Inrii, [color=red:12ri6cep]"She may fight on my side, your side, or not at all. It hardly matters to me. The rules are simple. Fight to win, use whatever dirty tricks, weapons or spells you may have. I surely will. As will any enemies we fight, and I don't want your blood on my hands. I have enough already. You needn't worry, if you are worth my time, you won't die. If you do..."[/color:12ri6cep] He shrugged, [color=red:12ri6cep]"If you die, then you aren't worth my time nor efforts."[/color:12ri6cep]

Despite his confident tone, Elwyn had serious doubts about facing three drow at once, and his eyes obviously showed it. And besides, he hoped to have at least one person who had full command of their powers for a prolonged trek across the dangerous desert.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

Illorya considers the suggestion for a long moment. She was in complete command of her powers, possessed still with the song and the rhythm of the Dancing Maiden's song. She was a formidable adversary in her own right. Inrii was, too, from what she had seen. There were a few questions in her mind. She had seen Baravar fight as well, seen him defeat several Priestesses in quick succession, watched him face down sorcerors, wizards, Dragons. Baravar was no one to be trifled with either, in the big scheme of things. But the sparring seemed silly and wasteful. The likelihood of death or injury was great, and in this desert, if they were to catch their prey, as this human wanted, they would all need to be at their best strength.

She ponders a long moment more, letting her mind wrap itself around the potential effects, the purpose of the sparring. She frowns to herself, then looks to Baravar, her eyes asking the question silently. The other shrugs a little bit, answering in silence as well. The gesture spoke volumes to the priestess. Baravar would follow her lead, into the battle or not, as she would choose. For now, it seemed better to Baravar for him to remain a seemingly subservient figure. The Vhaeraunian was an interesting wrinkle.

Illorya nods, understanding her friend clearly, despite the simplicity of the gesture.

"Very well, Human. We shall spar on the morrow. But outside the town. I do not want to see more innocents destroyed for this." She looks at Baravar once more, who nods his acceptance of her decision. His voice is still that same half-sardonic, pleasantly smooth lilting common.

"As you wish, then."
~ JRR Tolkien
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

The smile that ever so gently creased the cloth on Elwyn's face was very affirmative of the gleam in his eyes.
[color=red:h36dtqdx]"I look forward to it. Now then, I think we should retire for the evening. Rest up, prepare your spells. Pray to your goddess. Whatever it is you drow do."[/color:h36dtqdx]

He stood up, and grabbing up his gourd, Elwyn vanished with a swish of his cloak and a flash of lightning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((This is for the sake of moving things along. Night is really not something that is worth devoting posts to))

The next morning, about an hour before sunrise, the group set out from the city of Memnon. All four had aquired fresh camels, for a fair price, and now steadily made their way away from the city. When the buildings vanished from view behind the dunes, and the very edges of the sun began to peak out over the horizon, Elwyn halted his camel, and lithely slid off.

[color=red:h36dtqdx]"Well, I think this is a most opportune time, don't you?"[/color:h36dtqdx]

He looked at the Illorya and Baravar, his eyes once again gleaming with that expression of eagerness and joy.

Zyeke
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((im gunna be slow in posting next couple of days...got 3 test this week. busy till wed night at least. so Inrii's just gunna watch the fight for now))

Inrii took up the rear with her mount, following the group and saying nothing. some rest had restored her more playful/fun side for the time.
She hopped down from the camel, no disguise this time, and let her cowl down showing her silvery hair and ebon face. the girl found a spot and waited for the others to begin so they could get this done and over with and get on with the task.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

He hopped off his camel, and adjusted the cloak, so his gourd was open.

[color=red:2cky6of0]"Now then, lets begin. Since there are two of you, I suppose it would be fair to start off with two puppets... Now then... which two?"[/color:2cky6of0]

He sat down, crossing his legs, hand cupping his chin, fingers drumming on his face mask.

Zyeke
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

Sitting down might not have been the smartest thing Elwyn could have done at this point. Facing two experienced and well-equipped Drow would be hard from that position.

Baravar and Illorya had followed him, flanking him the whole time. They remained in their flanking positions, voluminous robes blowing in the hot desert wind. They had remained silent, watching their antagonist. As soon started tapping his face mask, the tapping of his fingers almost hides the trio of small, sharp clicks that are stolen away by the winds and the sands. Three of the legendary small crossbow darts speed their way toward the puppeteer. They weren't heavy enough to kill him, but the soporific poison the tips were coated in would end this battle very quickly if they scratched him.

The cloaks billow and snap around the two Drow. The crossbows aren't visible, but the cloaks are obviously arranged in a such a way as to provide maximum protection from the wind and sand and heat, while keeping restriction on motion to an absolute minimum.

The three darts hiss through the air from opposed angles, forcing Elwyn to choose a direction to move. The two Drow had also staggered their firing lines. One dart had been aimed directly for Elwyn, but the other two had been fired at the spots he would have to move through to avoid the first dart.
~ JRR Tolkien
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Elwyn's fingers stop drumming. He slowly turns his head to lookat Baravar and Illyora. With a sigh of exasperation, Elwyn stood up, and dusted off the bottom of his cloak. He nodded, and chuckled silently.

[color=red:20fe3fdj]"Oh, but that was a neat little trick, that was. Those three darts are so small I almost didn't notice them. Poison, I presume?" [/color:20fe3fdj]

He held up his hand, the darts held between his fingers, sparks of electricity jumping slightly between the metallic heads.

[color=red:20fe3fdj]"The source of a puppeteer's power is lightning. We use it to give our puppets' their life. Among the simplest tricks learned by a puppetmaster is to send that lightning at an opponent."[/color:20fe3fdj]

Elwyn raised a hand, and a blast of lightning flashed a good dozen feet into the air, leaving the place smelling strongly of ozone.

[color=red:20fe3fdj]"Of course, we also have our corpse puppets, but I digress. My point being, puppeteers of a certain calibre are able to utilize that lightning so precisely within their own bodies, that we are able to influence the metal around us. Like so".[/color:20fe3fdj]

Elwyn opened the fingers of his hand, and the cross bow bolts floated back to Baravar and Illyora.

He bowed, [color=red:20fe3fdj]"Now then, I promise no more of that. I simply forgot to mention it to my sorceress friend over there, seeing as we didn't have as much time to chat. Now then, to business."[/color:20fe3fdj]

Elwyn's hands rose again, this time a scroll in each. Sparks flashed along his fingers, and out of the scrolls appeared a drow and an elf. The elf faced Baravar, and the elf coldly gazed at Illyora. With a twitch of his fingers, the drow took a step forward, drawing a pair of shortswords, where as the elf drew a pair of gleaming longswords.

Zyeke
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Inrii chuckled when the excitement began, like a girl at her first wrestling match. She hadnt atually sat down to watch a fight since, well, after training and the beginning of the so called 'apprenticeship' with Mayindia.
this spat looked interesting and it was just starting!
the sorceress looked up to the camel and jokingly conversed, "who you gunna bet on? really. not a bad choice. me? I'm betting a stalemate."
the camel just stood there, not bothered by anything or even listening or watching. not that it stopped Inrii from being silly (secretly).
"too bad Zarstra had to stay home," referring to her emerald lizard familar she'd left this trip back in Minauthkeep. it had been a long debate but finally the lizard saw her point and gave in.

((just to help understand- she's like 26-27, a kid, here so its reasonable for her to be silly like this, at least when no one was watching/listening))
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

Illorya draws her twinned rapiers in a motion so smooth and easy that they seem more to appear in her hands. The puppet facing her doesn't react, naturally, as she assumes a guarding posture. But rapiers are the least threatening aspect of Illorya's capabilities. Like all Menzoberranyr Drow, she has been expertly trained in the use of her weapons. She has also been taught powerful magics. Beneath her veils and cloaks, under her breath, she begins a spell, shaping power through the words. This spell required no gestures, no ingredients, not the way she'd prepared it the night before. She only needed to last long enough to cast it.

Baravar smiles grimly under his cloak. He would have been disappointed if the puppetmaster had fallen to the darts. It would have been too easy, and he probably wouldn't have been inclined to help someone who would fall so easily. That said, he wasn't much for holding back. He and Illorya had spent some time going over what they knew of puppetmasters, and had worked out several ways of ending this match as quickly and effectively as possible. To that end, Baravar had donned his cloak of displacement that morning before they'd headed off. The cloak would make him appear to be in a spot several feet from his true position and the image would mirror his movements, but anything aimed at that spot only got air. It proved invaluable now in the shifting sands, as there weren't even footprints in the sand that could betray his true position. Which, at this point, was behind the Elven puppet. The Weaponmaster draws his schiavona, a longsword with a basket on its hilt. He takes a few steps back, seeming to the world to be backing away from the puppet. Then, with a blinding motion, he turns, the adamantite blade flashing in a blinding arc, seeming to become a solid sheet of razored metal as it arcs upward at an angle. The displacement effect would probably only delay the puppeteer for a heartbeat, but that was more time than the Ranger needed to put paid to this puppet of flesh. The schiavona's edge and weight would carry it straight through the puppet, shearing flesh and bone.
~ JRR Tolkien
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Elwyn's eyes followed the ranger's movements, the necklace he wore under his cloak allowing his eyes to penetrate the effect's of the cloak's magic. That being said, Elwyn's attention was focused on the female, as she didn't react in the expected way. He silently groaned, yet another wizard, gods, was he doomed to keep attracting them life flies to a fire? The fingers on his right hand danced, and the puppet's arms dropped down at the elbow, revealing metallic tubes where bones should be. The puppet leapt backwards and slightly to the side, and a trio of darts flew out of the tubes, a strange liquid dripping from the barbed metal heads. The momentum of the arms launched the two swords at Baravar, who stood in the puppet's line of fire. A fine cord stretched from the hilts of the swords to the puppet's hands, allowing them to quickly be retracted.

His left hand twitched slightly as the blow connected on his puppet. With a decidedly metallic clang. The sword cut through about an inch of skin before it connected solidly with the metallic skeleton of the drow puppet. Instead of being cleaved in twain, as Elwyn assumed the ranger had expected, the drow puppet raised a shortsword, aiming a strike at the ranger's head. The blade of the shortsword also dripped that strange colored liquid.

Zyeke
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((just continue the fight, she's just gunna watch right now anyway. i'm gunna says she outside of range of the dead magic zone as she wouldnt be too close to begin with anyway))
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

((Hmm, I guess Baravar is gone for a while... So I'm gonna just keep the RP goin on monday, if he hasn't posted by then...))

Zyeke