[Campaign] Darkness Falls, Light Shatters

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Calabask
Regular

Post by Calabask »

The sound of heavy footfalls could be heard as Kalannar rode up to the camp with his steed. Both were drenched, for the most part, looking like they had just taken a dip somewhere. Which.. Was the case. While everyone else had been talking and whatnot, Kalannar had taken it upon himself to visit yet another pond that he had crossed, and chose to have his Bay travel through the water with him to share the experience, before he himself had chosen to take a dip. Riding up now to the makeshift cmap he'd swing off the hrose with a loud smosh sound emanating from his boots as he made his way to the closest fire. [i:mhuseuq8]"So wha' be cookin'?"[/i:mhuseuq8]
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Lothir sighed with relief as the minor tiff between Inrii and Elwyn passed. He shook his head, turning away to move over to the fire beside Palax. The dragon-son looked up, and turned a wary blue reptilian eye on the strange human. "Where did you find HIM?" he asks, looking at the bard expectantly.

"Actually, I met him shortly after I got here. He's weird, but harmless. Mostly. But I know almost everyone here, and they are decent folks for the most part. Not sure about Kallanar or Zekafae yet, but at least my pendant hasn't been scorching me. That's always a good sign."

He takes a cup of tea from the paladin, and sips it slowly, thinking back to all the adventures he has shared with various members of the group. "Out of everyone here, I trust Luaxena and Inrii the most besides Veraka himself. Kallanar reminds me too much of home, and Drakin- well, I haven't quite figured him out yet."

He moved to sit beside the priestess, and gave her a warm smile. "It's good to see you again, Lu. I never did thank you properly for that favor you did for us. In a way, my family is your family now- you are welcome to visit us in Lothen any time, milady."

Palax just sits by the fire, silently watching everyone. He pays particular attention to Veraka taking Elwyn aside, and hides a small smirk at the exchange, his dragon-bred hearing sharp enough to catch most any sound within the camp and even a good bit beyond.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Luexena Deana
Regular

Post by Luexena Deana »

Luexena just stood behind Veraka, listening to her own sensations. The drowess' head was lowered, the long silvery tresses curtaining her face from all. The priestess was quiet for a long while before speaking up.

[i:1r23j1jo]This area... is not safe. we're scried on. If we're staying here, we might as well get ready for another fight sometime very soon.[/i:1r23j1jo]

Her gloved hand rested upon a trunk of a nearby tree as she looked up finally through the veil of her strands, the lavender eyes locking on Kalannar.

[i:1r23j1jo]It is good you finally join us, my friend. We'd need your skill in setting traps around this glade.[/i:1r23j1jo]

She settled upon the grass, then as Lothir sat next to her and spoke to her, she offered him a smile, though he could easily see her concern. Her fingers brushed the hair from her face before she locked her hands in her lap, gazing about, as if still 'listening' to the thin auras of the place.

[i:1r23j1jo]I am delighted to see you as well, Lothir. You and your dragonkin relative. [/i:1r23j1jo]She lowered her voice so Lothir alone could hear her. [i:1r23j1jo]I really need to tell you what the Maiden revealed to me...[/i:1r23j1jo]
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

"Scried upon?" he asks, a worried look crossing his usually light-hearted expression. <What do you know that you've not said?> he asks her in a half-hidden sign. He can see that she is concerned, and glances about warily, listening intently to the night. Ears long trained to catch even the smallest change in notes- or any other sound- listen to the whisper of the breeze, and the soft mutters of Veraka and Elwyn a little away from the camp. He can't hear what they are saying, but he can easily guess.

He notes Kallanar finally rejoining the group, soaking wet, and lets a small smirk cross his lips before turning his attention back to the priestess. "What did she show you?" he asks, knowing that it must be of great import for Luaxena to have held it back. Something dire, he thinks ominously.

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Elwyn yawned, and lay down on the grass, using the narrow part of his gourd as a head rest. He looked up at the dark sky, mostly obscured by the foliage of the forest the group had stopped in. He took off his hood and face covering, seeing as how the secret was out, and he was mildly surprised by the lack of holy indignation from the assembled clerics and paladin. Perhaps the northern folk were more used to seeing cobbled together half dead people most of the time.

He wondered where Inrii had gotten off to, but he could hardly claim to be even a novice tracker, but he figured that she would be back sooner or later. Absentmindedly, he rummaged around in his pack, and pulled out the dozen scrolls he always kept with him. A small spark of electricity jumped between each of them, and all twelve floated a few inches in front of his face, each unfurling so he could look at his puppets' working conditions.

Elwyn silently nodded to himself, and with a wave of his hand, all the scrolls furled themselves up again, except for one. This one Elwyn snatched out of the air, and tossed it onto the ground behind him. With a flick of his finger, the iron clasps around the parchment sprang open, and a huge armored arm grew out of the paper.It was immediately followed by a second, and soon all eight and a half feet of Elwyn's flesh golem familiar stood beside him. With a satisfied nod, Elwyn put the gourd on his back, and with a nimble leap, backflipped onto Gurguch's shoulders. There he slid down into a special harness, and covered himself with the huge cloak that hung on the golem's back.
Gurguch, meanwhile stood motionless, except for its eyes, which constantly scanned the surrounding area.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Luexena Deana
Regular

Post by Luexena Deana »

She motioned Kalannar over and as the pirate approached, she began her story, speaking very quietly so only these two could hear her.

[i:nd8cigdg]It all started with darkness, rage and fire... but then I saw a sea of fire... and a fey'ri woman was crying out, jerking in the chains that had her restrained, trying to lash at someone hidden. She looked sorrowful and outraged, tears streaming down her cheeks. Then there was a boy, her child brought to her, and a spider dagger pressed to his neck.

A voice spoke... And I swear, Lothir, it was an ilythiiri high priestess of Lloth. She asked the fey'ri where the boy's father was. His wife shouted she did not know and was backslapped. And she was asked that over and over again, but the fey'ri finally responded stubbornly that HE would find them.

The picture changed then. I saw our friend[/i:nd8cigdg]. She casted a glance toward Veraka. [i:nd8cigdg]He stood there, casting the divine aura around himself, and his blade howled for vengeance. But then it all changed. It was him again, but armor tarnished, aura first turned jetblack and then gone. He looked primal... with his eyes not silver anymore, they were dark and hate-filled. Chaos lingered about him...

Then there was void... endless void... and a mist that lingered there shaped into the Spider Queen herself. She laughed... [/i:nd8cigdg]The priestess shuddered a little, recollecting that.[i:nd8cigdg] and lashed out against the vision... and then I awoke.[/i:nd8cigdg]

Luexena breathed out quietly, falling silent now, letting the two absorb the information, before whispering again. [i:nd8cigdg]I do not know why, but the Spider wants him to fall. It's a part of a greater scheme I am sure and our paladin friend is an important link. He needs us more than he knows.[/i:nd8cigdg]
Last edited by Luexena Deana on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

The bard listens to her tale, and shudders as she finishes. "Your vision sounds like one of my nightmares. I see her sometimes, in my most horrifying dreams. Always laughing, like you said. And that void- I've seen it before, too. But those were just the dreams of a frightened boy. Your vision was real."

He glances over toward the aasimar again, a look of intense worry on his face. "There is darkness in us all. But it threatens to consume him now, and we must find out why. You are right, though. He does need us, much more than he realizes. Otherwise, I shudder to think what will become of him."

Zanathie Avuna
Maid
Maid

Post by Zanathie Avuna »

((OCC: For the record this is gonna be super uber short. I've been really bad at this whole posting thing lately, but a lot has been going on. And plus, just as a headsup, I will be gone the next couple of days, so whatever happens, just keep going, V can take over Zana. WIsh me luck at MEPS!!))

IC: Zana finished up with the deer and turned to look at the paladin who had sat down with his wolf besides her. "So, I've noticed you're paladin with a temper," she said with just a hint of sarcasm and smiled. "You know, this whole sherade has been very interesting. Hells, I'm not even sure why I'm here. Not that I mind..."

Vlad was a little ways off from Zana when he noticed something ruffling around in his stuff. [i:2hj69ovt]Hmm? What is this?[/i:2hj69ovt] He went on over and noticed a lizard snooping around in her stuff. [i:2hj69ovt]Ah ha! And what is the meaning of this?[/i:2hj69ovt] he asked, standing tall over the lizard.
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

((real quick before i hit the books again))

the emerald lizard looked up to the tiger and gave a large lizard grin. her violet eyes smarkled almost hypnotically as a good charming manipulator (she's a smart lizard and excellent stealth- 17 at least.)[/size:lndq1h3b]
"[color=red:lndq1h3b]practicing[/color:lndq1h3b]," she said, innocently as a lizard could convey. Zarstra then moved around to another spot twords the fire and the tiger to look up at the large ball of fur. She wasnt too scared, other than it could eat her, but if it did, she'd not go without a fight, which entelled using Inrii's spells (familars share spells)[/size:lndq1h3b]. a lizard didnt live as ling as her without cool tricks.
Zarstra then moved on twords another person. (whose not in conversation persay...and wants to interact)[/size:lndq1h3b]

She saw the strange weird machine man jump onto a large giant, speaking of three of the party over to the side and away from everyone....she did love secrets, the large guy with the wolf from long ago speaking with the tigers master, Inrii and the ranger was off else where doing who knew what, and the big guys friend off by himself. what a strange group this was.

((can go ahead and say that the spell wore off. so his clothing is back to normal now.))
Last edited by Inriiaynrae Jaelre on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Calabask
Regular

Post by Calabask »

Kalannar grinned at Luexena's greeting and immediately dug into his pack, sifting though the assortment of trap components he had. Sonic traps would likely be the best for laying about the camp for protection. As if they were tripped, they'd send out a loud noise that would likely wake up anyone asleep, and hopefully daze those who set it off and their companions. Or even if they tripped it purposefully, it'd at least wake the group more than likely, so that they could be prepared for an attack.

Moving closer to Luexena, he'd plop down beside her as she began to recite the tale of her vision, the pirate's features scrunching up a bit. He knew a good bit about Lloth, or at least the tales that other drow on the islands told him and what Luexena had said to him, in addition to what he had seen when he helped rescue her. Thinking that Veraka may well find his wife, how he had found Luex, made the half drow feel sorry for the man, and made him want to help all the more. [i:kz3vs14g]"Tha' be som' ba' stuf'. Aye... We nee' t' watch 'im. And help him no' become somethin' his family migh' fear when 'e sees them next. It migh' jus' sen' 'im over the edge t' fallin'." [/i:kz3vs14g]
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

Looking at her he shook his head." It's strange how that never healed after all this time.. perhaps ending the chase once and for all may. Or divine intervention.. if you believe in that." He muttered for a moment before standing after she did and mused." The day I go soft, is the day I die. Lived this long by being soft, and if I seem soft, it usually means something dangerous is coming from me." He mused lightly before motioning."Lets go, let them all settle down before we sneak back in to finish this patrol."
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

((if someone thinks there left out and wants an interaction, theres a roaming lizard))[/size:2m63y92v]

Inrii's cheerfulness faded, the subject, tho she was getting better at dealing with it, still painful.
"yes, Vorndrin knew what he was doing that day he..." she looked off in the distance, then a slight change of tone, "but i did pay him, or now [i:2m63y92v]her[/i:2m63y92v], back," some anger obviously directed twords the dead male, "Mayindia couldnt figure it out. so, I'm just stuck with this...reminder... of being weak, being helpless. which is what I garnish he wanted knowing that I would, as I did, eventually kill him."

she walked slowly, then turned and paused, getting real close in a sultry teasing way, "I wouldnt expect it otherwise," then her normal voice, "else I would think something was wrong. or there was more beneath that dragon hide there," a slight grin as she started to turned to face the camp again, not heading there yet.

((aw, someone trust me. I feel special! :angel: now cant go getting to see that side of her, gotta be mean again...grrrrr lol.))
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

((Just to clarify, part of this, quite a bit, was written by Zana; so I'm just posting it up for her, with V's conversation in it.))

The night became full as the moon, Selune, rose high above the horizon, the stars above in the sky shimmering their light down. Veraka was out by the time anyone noticed, his day being long, hard, and very straining on him. Aurora had curled up where she was and was now out like a log. His dreams that night were not pleasant, almost horror stricken, as the elven companions of the group might notice should they awake and alert throughout anytime during the night.

It was early morning, almost too early. The sun hadn’t even begun to scrape the horizon and the moon was still shining its ambient light upon the frosty ground. No bugs sounded, not even the early morning hunter, only the lone drowess. Normally she wasn’t awake quite this early, but sometimes she felt the need to awaken before the others to give her peace and quiet, alone.

This particular morning was chilly, cold enough to where she huddled next to her plush white tiger. He was always warm, no matter what, even on the coldest of nights. Zana curled up into a ball, arms wrapped around knees, and thought. This had to be the strangest thing she’d ever done- this adventure. She’d never worked with anyone but Vlad and few select others, but hardly ever in a group, for trust had never come easy to her, ever since she was a child. Witnessing her mother’s murder when she was seven had left her permanently scarred, and her father, well, she didn’t know much about him either, only that he was dead.

She heard a faint rustle on the other side of the camp and noticed the main man had awakened. Veraka; from the first time she met him, she knew him to be different. She couldn’t place it, but he was. Regardless, she gave him a weak good morning smile and got up from the thermal generator next to her.

“What caused you to wake up at such an hour?” she asked causally, retrieving some leftover food and handing him some.

He accepted the offering and sat down against a tree, a little ways from the main group. “Couldn’t sleep?”

“Ah, I understand completely.” Zana sat down next to him. “I’ve had the problem often. Damn dreams don’t leave me alone sometimes.” She paused, “has that ever happened to you?”

He nodded absently and looked to nowhere. “Occasionally used to, before this fucked up situation, and now, more often than not.”

“It’s a strange thing this world is. Full of so many differences, such diversity, it amazes me that something like this could happen so often and no one but a select few pay any attention to it. Everyone just chooses to turn a blind eye. It’s frustrating,” Zana said in disgust. She wasn’t one to talk randomly or strike up much conversation, but why not? There was nothing else to do.

“And it’s things like that that make me angry. It makes everyone who cares angry. As a father, I do find it beyond frustrating, almost infuriating…” He sighed, saddened and now partially frustrated.

Zana saw this, wishing she hadn’t brought it up. She thought about what to say, but nothing came to her, so she remained silent.

After the seemingly long silence, Veraka eventually spoke up. “Do you have any family?”

“You mean aside from Vlad? No; only acquaintances. I did once, kind of, but he was killed,” she took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. Her voice hardened. “Fate is twisted. So fucking twisted.” She shrugged, frowning in disgust. “He was killed by his own mother, the same drowess who murdered my mother, and I never knew my father, he died before I was born. So right now, Vlad is all I got.”

Veraka winced. “That’s awful. I’m sorry;” At least his family was alive…hopefully, though he knew how it felt to have no family to begin with, his entire first 22 years of his lifetime had been without a family of his own.

“Don’t be. That bitch is dead, the hells can have her and her treacherous soul. I hope she burns for the rest of eternity.” She knew that sounded cliché, but it was true.

Veraka looked at the huntress with a deadpan expression, and then smiled a bit; he got up and retrieved his great sword from his pack. “I’d like you to meet a good friend from an age not to long ago,” the aasimar unsheathed the huge sword, its entire length nearly as tall as he was; It’s called [i:3fml6hl2]Aphyon’arisa[/i:3fml6hl2].”

She chuckled lightly, “Death’s stalker. Fitting.”

“Ahh, so you do know Drow?”

She gave the aasimar her ‘duh’ look. “I’m surprised it’s named in drow, seeing as you are aasimar and genasi with not
much drow in the slightest in your bloodline.”

Veraka shrugged. “To be honest, I’m unclear as to how it got its name. That’s the name I’ve always known it by, and I never stopped to ask why it was named in Drow. This sword was given to me by my mother; though she told me it belonged to my father, passed down to remove evil from this world.” He began unwrapping the steel covering the hilt for it was in dire need of cleaning. As he unwrapped the handle of the greatsword, engravings began to reveal themselves, strange ones.

Zana peered closer. She’d seen these before. They looked all too familiar. “These markings are in genasi,” she observed.

“The sword was my father’s after all, and, from what I know, he was a genasi, of some sort” Veraka pointed out, “at least according to my. . .”

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” she interrupted him impatiently. “I mean, I’ve seen these exact markings.” She thought about her ring with its markings, which she wore as a reminder of her parents. Who knows? She didn’t know genasi that well to be able to know what they actually said. Maybe the markings just looked the same to her but were actually different. “So you said this was your father’s sword, right?”

Veraka nodded his affirmative.

“What was his name?”

“Torin,” the celestial-born replied, beginning to clean the hilt of his huge greatsword..

She nodded slowly, thinking.

Where’s my food? Vlad was awake. Zana realized she and Veraka had eaten it. Oops. Now that Vlad was awake, the others would soon be awake too.

[color=blue:3fml6hl2]When everyone was up and awake, Veraka decided it was a good time to eat something, despite his near non-existent appetite. Digging through his provisions, he pulled out some granola-fused with honey, a few various fruits, and some of the sweet-breaded chocolate morsel treats that Inrii knew all too well.[/color:3fml6hl2]

“If anyone wants something, just grab it; we’re going to need the energy,” spoke the aasimar, grabbing a couple pieces of fruit, and good handful of cookies before Inrii nabbed them all.

[color=blue:3fml6hl2]When everyone had gotten something to eat, packed up their gear onto their mounts, and were all ready to go, Veraka, mounted atop Blaze, indicated that it was time to move out, and sped off into the very, [b:3fml6hl2]very[/b:3fml6hl2] wide valley to which they were crossing to get to their destination, the Dragon Coast.[/color:3fml6hl2]

After about half-an hour of riding, Veraka called for Drakin to go forward and scout out their trail that they’d be proceeding on; “take ones you think can keep their head down, and eyes open,” Veraka told his assassin friend with a solemn voice, indicating that he didn’t want the little band to wander onto any unwanted traps or other hazards.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Drakashin
Regular

Post by Drakashin »

Drakin gave Veraka a small salute and rode forward to Zana and Elwyn. "I'm going out on patrol, and since you the only other one here who rides a predator thought you might like to join me," he said to Zana, then to Elwyn he said, "I would also like you to join me on your roc. A person in the air is always handy."

Both he and Zana set out on Aurora and Vlad.

As they rode for hours, the day seemed as thought it would be, thankfully, uneventful. Drakin's instincts told him different though, and he knew that it would be unwise to dismiss the feeling as nerves. He halted Aurora with an unseen signal.

He allowed his mind to open up to the winter wolf, he said, "Things are too quiet here. I haven't heard or seen neither bird or critter for awhile now."

"Aye," she responded, "I have been having the same feeling for awhile now as well. Like the calm before the storm, as humans say."

Looking around Drakin marked Zana and her tiger a ways to his right.

They continued on their way, the small scout group keeping ahead of the rest of the party by a minute or two.

Drakin couldn't help but begin to lose interest in his surroundings, even with his instincts telling him not to, as they passed what must have been the millionth tree that day.

"Wake up," Aurora whispered in his mind. He could tell from her tone that she had spotted something important.

"What?" Drakin asked as he scanned the surrounding trees.

""There is a group ahead of us. I can barely hear them, but they are there."

He, knowing how much more sensitive the wolf's senses were than his, didn't doubt a word. "Let's see what they are up too, but if we can avoid them, lets."

Aurora gave a yip to show her agreement and relayed what she heard to Vlad.

As they continued forward Drakin could begin to hear the group as well. And from what he heard, he knew that there would be no avoiding this group.

'I've been spening too much time with that paladin. Bastard's ethics are rubbing off on me.' Drakin thought to himself with a hint of a grin.

"Leave him alone!" a woman yelled, "Can't you see that you're killing him?"

"Stop yer whining." a male voice shouted, which was followed by a scream of pain from the woman, "Ye'll get yer turn soon enough."

"Aurora," Drakin whispered to the wolf, "if there was ever a time to hurry a bit, it would be now."

The wolf appareently agreed with him for she sped up her pace until they got close enough to see the group.

What he saw made the usually calm assassin shake with anger. Before him, about thirty feet away, were ten people. Three of them obviously wanting to be anywhere than here. The party had captured a man and, who Drakin assumed, was his wife and daughter.

Two of the rouges held the man's arms as a third sent punch after punch into his stomach. The other four held the woman and girl, whom couldn't have seen her sixteenth winter by Drakin's estimate. Tow of them held the women down as the other two fondled them as they watched the man being beaten.

Drakin signaled Zana to be ready with her bow and to give a count of twenty to allow him to get into position. He got off Aurora and said to her, "Make sure none of the bastards get away."

"I almost hope they do, so I can teach them a thing or two before they leave this life," she growled.

Drakin only nodded as he made his way through the bush. By the end of the count he was no more than five feet from the group.

"Ah," yelled one of the rouges holding the daughter, "he ain't being entertaining anymore. Let's just kill him and get onto the main event." As he finished, he grabbed the young woman, making her scream in pain.

"Aye, he ain't got no fight left," said the one beating the man, who was now unconscious. He pulled out a serrated knife and began to raise the blade to plunge into the man's stomach.

At that moment the whine of an arrow flew over Drakin's head and into the throat of the rouge with the knife.

As the knife dropped from his limp fingers, Drakin rose up behind the two holding the women. His shotel entered the side of one, killing him before he knew Drakin was there.

He left his shotel embedded in the corpse, his spiked gauntlets more than enough for these bastards.

A short jab opened a ragged wound in the other's side, the he grabbed the arm holding the girl and gave a slight twist. As the rouge's arm straightened, Drakin brought his elbow down, shattering the arm. As the rouge fell back Drakin grabbed his head and twisted sharply.

As the body crumpled, Drakin thought, 'Four bastards left.'
No Mercy for the Weak;
No Pity for the Dying;
No Tears for the Dead.

Drakashin viewtopic.php?p=29418#29418
Drakin viewtopic.php?t=1701
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

Nodding to her silently listening, he had yet to speak of his past really. Just small bits here and there, perhaps reasons to as why he was how he was and where he gained so much knowledge about magic. nodding slowly he followed and raised a brow before patting her cheek lightly." Some wounds never heal, I should know, the scars on my arms are proof of this. It is the cause to as how I knew about magic, reasons to pursue and master it. I was the subject to tests of magic, let's just say the scars are a reminder to the lust of magical power." Shrugging, he didn't go into more than that, it was... hard enough as it were. Sure they faded a lot but even then they're noticeable. Years ago they'd burn and glow with magic now they just hurt." Perhaps someday the wound will heal." Shrugging slowly he gave her a slight nudge." We'll see about what's under the dragon hide later on." he teased back walking with her. Gods only dare guess what went on in their minds.
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...