Half Moon Inn: Part 5

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

it had been a few days since she took the assassin. on a whim, she decided to return to the Inn, maybe word from those journeying? not likely. but she had no real plans. the lythari was a true nomad at the moment. having left her clan to learn what was beyond Evermeet, she'd been just going from place to place.

back outside in the garden, the lythari stood watching the moon rise, listening to the joyful sounds inside and just enjoying the cool night air as winter was approaching.
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Gareth Ravenmantle
Regular

Re: Half Moon Inn: Part 5

Post by Gareth Ravenmantle »

A cool breeze fluttered throughout the surrounding countryside of the Half-Moon Inn, and the sounds of a horse could be heard from outside, a black horse trotted up to the hitching post of the Inn, the clopping of its hooves made almost making a melody of nature and adventure. A tall figure in black armor climbed down from his mount. In the shadow of the building he looked like an intimidating dark shape, he took the reigns from his horse and tied a secure loop around the post. Nearing the door, light poured around him, and patrons with their drinks could see the white and red patterns on his armor. He looked almost as though he were a walking post-card. Each brand and swirl of paint on his black plate armor being an accomplishment, or a quest, or something significant to him and to others. He pushed through the doors of the Inn, and pushed his hood back. Long horns pierced the air around him. His mask was black and gold lining ran in all directions, His mask covered the red face and white eyes some people would know him by. He looked like a man who should not be trifled with, but his joyous grin made his true nature shine through. Gareth was an adventurer, and had recently left the land for many a year, the look on his face and his posture making the impression that he had just returned home.

Gareth moved slowly to the bar, "One mead, please." His rough voice was almost booming, Gareth's nimble hands dove into his pockets and pullet out a bag of gold coins, he dropped a couple into the bartender's hands, he took the cup brimming with alcohol and raised it to his lips, he took large swigs, on the road he never got the chance to really enjoy a beverage, or the company of other people, he made an almost relieved sounding sigh, and took the shield off of his back, he leaned it against the bar. Gareth turned in his seat and surveyed the Inn, he hoped to see someone he knew from his adventures here. A number of people stared, never seeing a creature such as Gareth, he took no notice and kept sipping his mead. Gareth could feel his adventurer blood boiling, he needed to quest, it was his opiate, a drug he could never hope to quit. Gareth placed the empty mug onto the bar and pulled out a chair at one of the near tables, he placed his shield and sword on the table and slumped into the chair. Gareth propped his feet up on the top of the table, fully relaxing, knowing that this place was the founding of many adventures and many friendships, he closed his eyes and took in all of the great memories. He looked down at his amulet, it had a large ruby the size of a kobold's brain, he stared at it, waiting for the silence to be broken.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

OOC: I've not been on much lately- mostly just lurking to see if anyone's in, and the occasional post in General Discussion, but I'm bored, and I'd like to get back into the rp side of things, seeing that no one has posted on mine in a while. Sooo....

IC: A pair of children, appearing about twelve or so, rush into the inn laughing, clearly enjoying some game or other. They are quite distinctive-looking, both having pointed ears, silver-white hair- the boy's being short and feathery, the girl's curly and falling just above her shoulders- and sky-blue eyes, and with charcoal-gray skin with a slightly golden tinge. They wear clothes in the style of elven nobility in shades of blue and green, and the boy wears a set of pan-pipes on a string around his neck.

"See, I told you I'd beat you to the door, Zak!" The girl giggles, giving him a smug look.

"Only cause you cheated, sis!" He replies, sticking out his tongue at her.

"Did not! You never said we couldn't use amgic to win!" She shoots back, still laughing.

At that moment, another figure enters, this one clearly adult- and VERY clearly a drow. He is dressed much like the young ones, in elegant yet understated silk and velvet brocades in the same shades of blue and green. The handsome- and still quite young-looking- dark elf glances around the inn, spots the two children and strides over to them with a look of mock severity on his features. His unusual light blue eyes sparkle with barely concealed mirth as he gently scolds the pair. "Now, there, what's the meaning of running around like a couple of stampeding rothe, hmm? You know that's not how one acts in public!" His long white hair pulled back in a low tail, dark green cloak swirling gently around him, he waves them over to the nearest empty table. "Now go have a seat while I get us something to eat and drink. And for Seldarines' sakes, TRY to behave yourselves!"

"Yes, father!" The two reply in unison, dutifully complying with the order. Meanwhile, the drow saunters over to the bar, orders three plates of venison roast with potatoes and carrots, with fresh-baked rolls, and three flagons of cider, before returning to the table. He looks around the room, and furrows his brow for a moment at sight of the other notable patron in the room, as if he almost recognizes him, then shrugs to himself and simply nods to the tall, horned figure. He pulls an unusual lute from under his cloak, lovingly handling the polished black lacquered surface with the alternating silver-etched images of moon phases and nude dancing elf-maids, the long, oddly-kinked neck gleaming with no less than twenty-four mithril strings. He sighs as he takes a seat with the two younglings, and sits back to strum idly on the instrument. After a moment, the boy cocks his head and joins in on his pipes.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Millek
Maid
Maid

Post by Millek »

Not all are the visitors to inn or even realm of existence, that share an appearance of kinship with the native races of vast Faerun, where shadows, magic, and deceit are at play, even the best intentioned adventurer might find themself cast from their native realm into another quite so unfamiliar. Not long after the merriment begins, follows one such adventurer, though his intentions, at least to begin with, appear less than good. Clad from head to toe in black and crimson leather armor, specially enchanted, each of its pieces to make his steps silent, and his undetected attacks especially deadly, comes the crouched, stalking figure. At first glance, humanoid, but a more studious observation reveals a distinctly feline face, with black fur, white rosettes, and matching this is the swaying tail out behind him. However, his intentions may remain questionable, presently dual-wielding daggers, both dripping, coated in some manner of poison. In the moment that he steps into the light, and realizes how many are present, the hooded cat's eyes widen, whilst pupils narrow, and he charges at Lothir, shouting, "Rraaah! Deceiver! To the Void, Rahj sends you!"

A case of mistaken identity, perhaps? This cat... this sneaking, stalking, dagger-wielder evidently some manner of assassin, seems quite angry about something. Perhaps some other drow has wronged him somehow? Questions for later though, as he's attempting to take his revenge on this one. The terrible poison on either of those finely crafted blades, has a twofold effect, of weakening one's ability to resist poisons, and at the same time diminishing their health. Ideally, his intended victim gets out of this unscathed, but the enraged feline also has quick hands and great dexterity. In terms of strength, he's strong enough to hold his own in a duel, though likely outmatched when facing greater numbers. Of magical prowess? Nothing demonstrated so far, there is magic in his armor, yes, but so far it seems that at best his magical prowess is for nothing but the most rudimentary magics. No, this one is of the sort whose greatest prowess remains in the shadows, a stalking predator, not that of the fierce warrior, or the powerful wizard.
Character 1: Viletooth of the Poison Dusk Lizardfolk: Sariss
(Viletooh is a Black Dragon/Lizardfolk hybrid. Template is found in Dragon Magic handbook for D&D 3.5)
Character 2: Assassin Khajiit: Rahj
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

OOC: Oh, it's ON, baby, LOL!!!!

IC: Enjoying the chance to get off the road and rest, and even more so the chance to spend some bonding time with the twins, the drow is only mildly curious when the odd feline visitor enters the inn. "If I didn't know better, I'd swear we were back at Candlekeep's inn," he comments dryly, chuckling. Then the stranger sees him and shouts angrily, and charges at the startled bard. In one fluid move, the chair and theorbo-lute are abandoned, and the drow spins aside and ducks low, coming back up with a pair of gleaming silver daggers in hands. Two simple words spoken in elvish, and the daggers lengthen into a pair of identical mithril sabers with silver hilts shaped like nude elven females with arms upraised holding moonstone pommels as if embracing the moon itself. Simple handgaurds in the shape of twining ivy vines, curve gracefully up one side of each, while the blades are etched with intricate knotwork on one side, and a single word in elven script on the other.

"I do not know who you are, stranger, but you have just made a serious mistake. Zak, May, get upstairs. I don't want you two getting hurt." His simple command is all it takes for the two youngsters to nod and dash for the stairs, though they don't go far. However, on the way, the boys turns and gives the attacker a narrow look, then suddenly points a finger at the floor beneath the cat-man's feet. A swift sing-song chant covers the spot with a large grease-slick.

"Thanks, Zaknirachel, but pappa doesn't need any help!" Calls back the older male, then amends quietly, "At least not yet..." He moves back away from the enraged feline stranger with both blades in guard position, ready for whatever comes next.

OOC: Is Rahj a member of the Dark Brotherhood, by chance? Lol! That armor sounds vaguely familiar....

Millek
Maid
Maid

Post by Millek »

OOC: Yes he is, it's all part of a grander scheme on how and why he's been transported into Faerun.

Target evading, a chair left in the way, and a child of all the unlikely sources, casting some unfamiliar magic in his path, there is nothing for it, but to dive vault and roll, over the chair, and up to his feet, twisting as he arises to face his prey, "Ohhh, don't play coy, Rahj never forgets a face. Go to some old temple, kill an old man, this was the contract. But when Rahj gets there, there is only a trap, and you. Now, unless you have a good reason to continue talking, Rahj is tired of speaking, and would kill you now, or die trying."

There's definitely a lot more to this story than is being said so far, and the cat is clearly a bit anxious to get this over with. Someone with Lothir's face has betrayed him, and a paid assassin would understandably want revenge when the person who hired him, set him up. Still, for the moment he doesn't advance to attack, giving pause, however brief, to allow the dark elf before him to give good cause for continued discussion. Not long though.
(Viletooh is a Black Dragon/Lizardfolk hybrid. Template is found in Dragon Magic handbook for D&D 3.5)
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

OOC: Heh, I had a feeling he was. What self-respecting assassin doesn't join them? As for myself, I have joined the Companions, the Bard College (naturally!) and have gotten as far as going after the horn for the Gray-Beards in the main quest. I tend to wander around a lot, picking up side-quests and finding random adventure sites as I go. I've also toyed with joining both the Stormcloaks and the Imperials, but haven't yet formally taken sides. (I'm leaning toward Imperial, due both to certain story elements of the game I found in the guidebook, and to my fondness for the Emperor in Oblivion- the Empire has mostly had the best intrests of its citizens at heart, so I tend to favor them over a guy who literally walked into Skyrim's capital and Shouted the High King to death for no good reason!)

IC: "I do not know who you think I am, abbil, but you are sadly mistaken, Firstly, I am not one to betray others- it's one reason I left my home, in fact, to avoid that sort of thing from my people- and secondly, I've never seen you before, much less one of your kind. And third, the only temples I've ever set foot in were those of the Earth Mother, Sky Father, and the Venom Queen back on my own home-world, or the Dark Maiden here in Faerun. And I'm quite certain YOU were never in ANY of them. You, see, I never forget a face either, nor anything else I've seen or heard, for that matter." He tracks the odd stranger's movement closely, certain there must be more to this than meets the eye. "I'd like to know why you think I have anything to do with this trap you speak of. Treachery and deceit are things I despise, for the reason that it reminds me too much of my homeland. Are you certain it was not some other Mori Quessir?" He asks, using the formal name for his people.

From his manner and speech, and the guileless and puzzled expression of his face- most importantly, there is no hint of malice in the pale-blue eyes- it seems clear that this one is not a hardened killer, though certainly not unused to threats of violence from others. He holds his sabers with practiced ease, but appears reluctant to use them against another, as if they are merely a means of defense, rather than aggression or plots. Thus far, he has remained purely defensive, making no move to attack, as might be expected if he were truly the perpetrator of some treacherous scheme. Niether does he attempt to flee; instead, his words seem intent of rooting out what is going on, perhaps out of some morbid curiosity? Or more likely concern for the two children perched anxiously on the stairs.

Millek
Maid
Maid

Post by Millek »

OOC: Next time you make a new game, instead of following Hadvar into Helgen Keep, turn right and you'll see a second, larger entrance into the keep, if you go there, you escape Helgen with Ralof, instead of Hadvar, as a result, you'll hear a very different story about how and why Ulfric killed the High King, that it was fair and honorable combat, and with accusations that the king was a traitor to his people.

IC: The gaze in those feline eyes is one that looks unimpressed at all these claims, about to call a bluff, when suddenly it changes, "Hmm, perhaps there is something to your words, Dunmer, so Rahj will allow you to prove yourself." A big, sly grin begins to form, as one dagger is sheathed, the combat posture is relaxed, and a vial is produced, "Drink some of this, and Rahj will see what sort of man you are. Yes, it is a poison, of a sort, it'll not kill you, but Rahj would like to see how it effects you.This one apologizes that this test must be so extreme, but if you speak truth, Rahj shall know instantly, and on his honor, will attack you no more, and administer a cure promptly. Only way to know you are not Daedra in disguise."
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

OOC: Actually, I've seen both versions, and I've gotten far enough in the game and visited most of the cities to have gotten the whole story- but using a Shout in a duel is hardly "fair and honorable", IMHO. I rarely use it myself except against dragons or other dangerous monsters or undead. Seems kind of unsporting against ordinary NPC's, LOL! I've also read through the qust-line of both sides, and it seems like the Imperial side is more interesting and has a better outcome overall. Though I admit, I'm anxious to see what happens at the Moot when you convene all three sides to settle the fight (Imperials, Stormcloaks, and Thalmors). But the Imperials just seem a bit less hot-headed and quick to fight. I like a cool head in most situations- it usually leads to fewer misunderstandings and pointless battles. Plus, I like a happy ending.... ;) :angel: :p

IC: "Dunmer? Daedra? I've never heard these words- what do they mean? Is a daedra a demon of some sort? I've heard of many kinds of demons, but not one by that name. And why, exactly, would you think me foolish enough to willingly take something you have already admitted is a poison, particularly in view of my own younglings? Do I seem daft or mad to you? On your honor? That is not a word to throw around lightly, murrpau'nesst. Honor is something I take very seriously, for to be without honor is to be little better than a brute. I no more trust you to give me the cure than you trust that I'm not this demon or whatever it is. Seems we are at an impasse, eh? Perhaps we can solve the problem over a drink? That is certainly unthreatening enough, yes? Or are you so quick to judge that you have no room to change your mind?"

The words are clearly a challenge, but still calm and reasonable. "It just happens that I had ordered a bottle of elven moondrop to enjoy with my dinner, and I'll be happy to share. If you don't mind sharing a table with two mischievous little scamps!" He nods toward the two children with a slight grin, then waves toward the table, moving back toward the discarded chair to reclaim his seat, and leaning back almost casually, though the blades do not leave his hands. "Your call, of course- Rahj, was it? From whence do you hail? Let us settle this like civilized folk, shall we?"

Still showing no signs of hostility, or even fear, the drow watches the newcomer with what appears to be cautious curiosity, almost cat-like himself in that respect. There is an air of quiet confidence, yet with enough wisdom not to turn his back on a potential foe, nor to immediately trust what is before him. Perhaps he, too, is acquainted with betrayal? Seeming lack of subterfuge notwithstanding, he moves with body tensed as if ever vigilant against threat, perhaps even slightly paranoid, in spite of the apparently friendly and open demeanor.

Millek
Maid
Maid

Post by Millek »

The cat remains cautious, and with good reason, for awhile still, his tale full of strange words and unknown names, his plight caught in a web of deceit and trickery at the hands of a being whom is a god to the dark elves of his world. Still, there is something in the words and expressions of the dark elf before him, "Your eyes... they do not lie. Hard as this is for him to believe, Rahj sees now, you know naught of these things. Dunmer is another name for Dark Elf, and the Daedra, Rahj does not think they can be so easily classified." The offer to sit, drink and eat, is met with more suspicion in his eyes, and yet, the other dagger is hesitantly slid away, and a seat is taken, accepting the offer apparently, "This one, apologizes for attacking you, but your face does match that of his prey. So it would seem someone desires Rahj out of the way, chasing prey that is not worth the effort. Since he is stuck here, however, Rahj will accept a civilized meal. Not since the long past nights of feasting in Jorrvaskr, has Rahj eaten of well-prepared meals."

A gentle grin begins to grace those feline lips, showing true to form, pointy feline teeth, "So, so much there is to tell of where Rahj hails from, apparently a whole world apart from this one, but rather than speak of other worlds, for the thought of never returning does not sit well with him, he would speak of the home land of his people. Rahj is Khajiit, and Khajiit comes from Elsweyr, a land of jungles and deserts. You would perhaps enjoy a visit to one of our cities, yes? Many pleasures to be had, for pleasure is part of our way of life. "
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

"Ah, I...see." He replies, slowly, taking in all that the stranger- this "kkajit" says. "Dunmer- I've never heard us called that. We call ourselves Mori'Quessir, or simply drow, if you prefer. We are called a few other names- many of them LESS than complimentary, by other peoples. Our People have a rather bad reputation, I'm afraid, and most of it is well-deserved."

He watches with keen interest while the khajit puts away the blade and joins him, then slowly lays both blades on the table, though still within easy reach if need be. He sets them next to the elongated lute, with the elven script on the blades clearly visible, likely by design. For those who can read the ancient elven language, one blade says "Honor", while the other reads "Valor". The symbolism of the elf-maiden holding up the moon is quite clear, as well, obviously representing some sort of goddess.

"Jorrvaskr, Elsweyr? I do not know of these places, but the latter sounds a bit like my own home. I come from an empire of volcanic tropical islands called Argonia, on another world. My people were driven there long ago by their fair-skinned kin, and live in great sea-caves beneath the islands. They ply the trade of mariners- pirates and raiders, mostly- and also fish, catch crabs and lobsters, hunt seals and whales, and even dive for shells and pearls. Our cities are underground, usually near the sea so the ships can be docked. The homes and temples are unlike anything upon the surface, built from the very stalactites and pillars themselves, or right into cavern walls. Do your Dunmer live the same way?" He asks, pausing to wait for the server who comes over to bring the plates of food and the bottle of the shimmering clear wine. She sets down two glasses, and two more filled with what appears to be simple fruit juice, then smiles when the drow produces a gold coin and hands it to her.

"Good to see ye' again, saer!" She says saucily as she saunters off with a sway in her hips. "I don't suppose ye'r no longer with that gold-skinned lady, eh?" She says, glancing back. He chuckles and gives her a nod and jerks one thumb toward the two children still waiting cautiously on the stairs. She sighs, and shrugs. "Well, gal can dream, right?" She grins, and leaves.

"Guess my days of flirting with the help still haunt my reputation..." He snickers, then waves the two young ones down. "Introductions are in order, I think. I am Lothir Ustdalharn E'Terrin'dar, formerly Heir to Aldan the Dark, Pirate King of Argonia, and these two rascals-" he adds playfully, "Are Zaknirrachel and Mayerelan.

Millek
Maid
Maid

Post by Millek »

The saucy wench accent, Rahj had heard plenty of before, many taverns and mead halls in the lands he had been in, before being cast into an entirely other world, even as the server was departing, he comments to her, "Rahj is plenty available, for beautiful lady." Such a flirt, and a shameless one at that, he gives her a grin and a flirty wink, then looks back to Lothir, "Rahj does not know much of how the Dunmer live, but has heard tales of the alien landscape of Morrowind, giant glowing fungi and such. It seems though Dark elves of all worlds generally have earned their ill reputation, for even the Dunmer praise the Daedric Prince, Boethia, as their god-ancestor."

The children introduced, are not quite ignored, but nor does he respond right away, suspecting they'd still be wary of him. Besides, there's also the lady he was flirting with to tend to if she accepts the offer.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

"A Prince? Perhaps not so different, then. Here, they follow a demon-goddess named Lolth, the Spider Queen. And there are many fungi down in the Underdark, some nearly as large as trees, and some of them do indeed glow. It is much the same back home, but she is called Lothrenya the Venom Queen, demon-lord of spiders, scorpions, snakes, and other venomous creatures. Her every word and deed is poison in the hearts of my People." He speaks with a hint of disgust, then sighs and shakes his head. "But enough of that. You say this other looked like me? Surely it must have been coincidence; I'm certain that I'd have known if someone wanted me dead. Moondancer knows that it's happened often enough in the past, but most of my enemies are dead. Which reminds me- that poison of yours would not have worked on me, even if I had been willing to take it. Let us just say that I am immune to poisons of all kinds, so it would reveal nothing. Except perhaps that you are the sort who is fond of using poisons, a fact which does not speak well of you, sirrah." He gives the khajit a meaningful smirk, one snowy brow arched.

He leans forward slowly, carefully reaching for the bottle, pouring for both of them. "Of course, I CAN still get roaring drunk if I wish, and certain natural 'drugs' will affect me if I imbibe them, but that is the extent of it." He chuckles and grins, holding up his glass in what is clearly a toast. "To new acquaintences and new opportunities for adventure and exploration, eh?"

Millek
Maid
Maid

Post by Millek »

Sly grin and chuckle in that peculiarly feline voice, Rahj leans back and declares, "Fusozay Var Dar." He gives a short pause, well expecting these words to be alien to his audience, "This is meaning, 'Kill without qualm'. The human races call this 'Fighting Dirty', Rahj calls it fighting smart. That this one uses poison, speaks well of his cunning. Why face an opponent in combat at all, if they can be beaten before they even realize they're under attack? And if one must confront their enemy, why not seize every possible advantage available? Bravery is good, honor in combat is fine, but neither are worth dying for. This one does not expect you to understand, but this is the Khajiit way. However, so is enjoying life. So..." he seizes up the glass of wine for himself and raises it in return, "to new acquaintances, and life's pleasures."

Without further ado, he downs the wine quick and hard, accustomed to drinking in the mead hall, with strong mead, and much to toast to. Cat handles his liquor pretty well too, hardly seeming affected, "Now then, Rahj is dying to know, is there any paying work that he can be doing? He is stranger in strange lands and must establish himself."
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

"I'll drink to that!" He says, grinning. Then he shakes his head in amusement, and lets out a little sigh.

"Oh, I understand all too well, abbil. This is the way of my people, too, more so than you could even imagine, I'd wager. Murder, strife, chaos, and intrigue are the stock and trade of the drow. The un-ending quest for greater power, influence, and wealth are their lives, and lies, poison, and betrayal are their weapons of choice. This is why I left my home- because I could not in conscience live in such an environment and ignore the inherent evils of my own kin. The choice was to either leave, or allow it to slowly destroy my heart and soul. Or be discovered for the 'heretic' that my kind call those like me, and be killed for it. And yes, honor IS worth dying for, to some folk. It is why knights and crusaders of good deities exist. They believe that life is worth preserving, that honor and virtue are worthy of respect and that to die in battle against evil is the highest form of glory. Personally, I'd rather fight and live, but there is no shame in death. I've been dead once before, so it holds no dread for me. The only failure is not to act at all, or to act the part of the coward, no?" He glances at the khajit to gauge his reaction, then shrugs.

"Myself, I've always preferred to fight an enemy face-to-face, witout fear, and to offer mercy to one who has surrendered, or to make the kill quick and clean if that be neccessary. I have other advantages of my own, in any case, that do not require fighting dirty. Magic, for one. Or my own natural abilities with blade and song. You may have noticed that I wear no armor...." The last is said with a half-smirk, chuckling. "Lightly armored is light of foot, no? Although, do not think I am unfamiliar with poisons or the like- I DID grow up among some of the most expert creators and users of them to live anywhere! That, and I occasionally dabble in alchemy and herbalism, though mostly for beneficial purposes."

"As for work, I do not know of any off-hand, but then, we are here simply passing through on a family outing. Of course, you could always apply in Lothen, where we live, as a member of the Silver Spires Watch, as an agent or such, but that is all I can think of at the moment."