Winding Roads

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Eli
Maid
Maid

Winding Roads

Post by Eli »

Beneath long, muddy sleeves, sharp fingers clicked rhythmically on a table at the [i:m0lyklp2]Golden Egg[/i:m0lyklp2] Tavern. The sound, belonging to a short, hooded figure sipping ale in the shadows, was drowned out in the singing, dancing and drunken banter of the tavern's other patrons.

[i:m0lyklp2]"All the better,"[/i:m0lyklp2] the boy thought, taking another sip. Mortals were a noisy bunch; not that his crowd was much better. Speaking of which-

[i:m0lyklp2]"Where is that ol' bone bag?"[/i:m0lyklp2] he hissed to himself, slamming his mug down with enough force to send ale flying over the sides as his head twisted and turned, surveying the area; twisted and turned in ways that seemed almost unnatural, but no one was watching him amidst the quick pace of people coming and going.

Shifting his hand, he now began to click his pointed fingers against what appeared to be teeth that were more jagged still; a habit of his. "I should make a candle holder out of his skull."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

The door of the Golden Egg opened, and a drow entered. However, the illusion on him made him appear as nothing more than an ordinary human, in ragged traveling clothes, and a bag for magical components on his side. Another human entered behind the drow, wearing a heavy white cloak, with a hood that covered most of his face. A large gourd was slung across his back, and a haversack that bulged with what looked like scrolls was slung across his shoulder. Zazzt and Ellon walked to the bar, not having noticed the small child in the corner, and Zazzt ordered a pair of drinks, while Ellon sat at the counter, looking around the bar in fascination. After finishing one round, Zazzt also turned around, and though his eyes did seem to linger on the figure in the back longer than the other people, his gaze didn't show any recognition of the boy. Nonetheless, the pair stood up, and grabbing their drinks, walked to a table close to the boy's and sat down, deep in conversation.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

The door to the tavern opened again ... more like burst open, to admit a strikingly handsome man, clearly Calishite, with tanned skin and dark brown hair falling into his eyes. He searched the room for a moment, then, smiling widely, walked over to the boy's table, arms spread wide.

"HA! I told you I'd find something good. Whaddaya think?" He twirled in a circle before sitting down opposite him and waving his hand at the waitress, ordering a drink for himself and winking at her.

Frowning at the expression on the boy's face, he shrugged, "You go out like that, for all I care. You know, Eli ... this is the difference between us." He reached over, as if to pat his shoulder, then paused mid-rise, clearly rethinking. Or it could have been that stare.

Sitting down and clearly chastened, the man grabbed his drink and stared at it for a moment, "See? You have no sense of fun, humour! Look at these wonderful people here! All you see is boring stuff. When you've lived like I have, then you'll see what I'm talking about. [i:3uxsp90p]Live[/i:3uxsp90p] a little." Grinning at his own secret joke, he looked back at his mug, then at the boy, making a face.

"Of course, Eli. We had to stop here out of all the places we could have stopped? I should have stayed home. Or on some other plane. Anywhere is better than here. But no. You're the boss, and of course we go anywhere I don't want to." He groaned aloud, then passed the mug to him. "You want it? I forgot I can't drink. Old habits seem to die very hard, apparently." He raised his hands, "Swear it isn't poisoned."
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli looked up at the man through the heavy shadow of his hood with nearly-black eyes. "Cain," he grumbled; the acknowledgement of his presence was as much of a greeting as the man could hope to get. "It doesn't matter how many times you shed your skin, you still act as young as I look."

The boy leaned back slightly in his chair; he was petite and wide eyed, perhaps even a tad bit cutesy in appearance apart from the personality and unnaturally wide Cheshire cat grin; not that he often grinned, apart from the occasional sadistic smirk.

"If these are people are so wonderful, why would you want to be anywheres else?" He took a swig from the second mug without so much as a 'thank you', not that it made much difference on his body either; in the least, it prevented it from drying out.

"And the difference between us is not my lack of 'fun', but that your sense of it is somewhat frivolous and material." His gaze followed a waitress as she made her rounds, "If you spent half the time on your duties as you did on womanizing, I would be back in my original form by now."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt's keen drow ears caught a name. Eli. It was faint, but mostly due to the din of the crowd in the tavern. Long ago Zazzt learned to trust even the faintest things he heard or saw, and turned around in his seat, looking more closely at the crowd. He noticed a small form, heavily hooded, sitting at a table near his, which easily could have been Eli. To be certain, he stealthily cast a spell that sharpened his hearing in their direction, and blocked out all other noises, allowing him to listen to the two talking, as if he sat at their table.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

"Hello to you too," used to his companion's attitude, the man grins - at least he was in a talking mood today.

Raising his hands in front of his face, fingers spread apart so that he could still see Eli, he smiles widely, "See? I age better than you do. Clearly."

[color=indigo:291ycixq]"If you spent half the time on your duties as you did on womanizing, I would be back in my original form by now."[/color:291ycixq]

Cain frowned, crossing his arms over his chest and looking away from him, watching the room, "It's not like you pay me for this stuff or anything. Besides, I [i:291ycixq]told[/i:291ycixq] you we're chasing a fantasy here! And a darned big one at that! We're never going to get anywhere if we do-"

His eyes widened as he felt something tickling the back of his neck. Someone was using magic - not far from them, and not exactly at them either, but he had the sense that they were the target. He pulled out a small stone the size of his palm that glowed a bright orange, and, looking at Eli grimly, he nodded.

His dark brown eyes suddenly glowed, fading to a light blue as he called upon his [b:291ycixq]Arcane Sight[/b:291ycixq]. Immediately, magical auras surrounded his vision, most coming from himself and his companion, but a soft light glowed with magic here and there.

He found what he was looking for, a spell that faded away just before it reached their table, and widened where the caster, a human, sat with another friend.

Sitting back in his chair - and not missing the bright aura that surrounded the human as well, most likely the mark of some sort of magic-imbued cloth he was wearing or an illusion of some sort - Cain closed his eyes, the blue glow passing through his eyelids faded until it vanished completely.

He looked at Eli, a look of disgust passing through his face as he fought back the urge to vomit from the sudden loss of the sight, and looked in the human's direction, careful not to move his head at all.

His left eyebrow rises slightly, "So, uh ... the air in here is quite hot, isn't it? Perhaps we should leave?"

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt scowled, his spell was noticed. No big surprise, considering who he was dealing with. But as he realized the pair was getting up to leave, he tapped Elwyn on the shoulder, using the touch to cast a spell that linked their minds, allowing telepathic communication, "Follow that pair over there," Zazzt sent Elwyn a mental picture of the two, "Get your puppets out, and use them too." Elwyn nodded, and stood up, walking towards the door, and once outside, he looked around the inn, and finding an easy path, climbed up onto the roof. Once on it, he opened his haversack, and pulling out a trio scrolls, unrolled them on the roof. Small sparks of lightning flickered on his fingers, providing energy to summon the three puppets (drow, halfling, and human) that were keyed to those particular scrolls. Elwyn mentally connected with each, and commanded them to blend in with the crowd on the street.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli stared blankly at Cain before his eyes trailed to the stone, tilting his head slightly to the side. He looked unimpressed; then again, he always did.

"[i:hrx2xk5z]I knew.[/i:hrx2xk5z]" he mumbled, quietly. "And now that you've used magic with another magic user present, he likely realizes we have something to hide."

He gave a small flick of his wrist and stood. "Very well, but rest assured they're going to follow us." Apart from the occasional temper tantrum, he spoke in a very deadpan voice. No use in being secretive now; not that the perpetrator himself was very subtle in his choice of spells. He was feeling slightly more annoyed then he was threatened.

The boy didn't give Zazzt or his companion a passing glance as they exited, but growled slightly between jagged teeth to his own. "I've told you before; should it be one of [i:hrx2xk5z]his[/i:hrx2xk5z] men, I shall not hesitate to kill the pests in cold blood."

With that, the two departed onto the street.

"And I'll have you know I've aged perfectly well; you've obviously gone senile, [i:hrx2xk5z]pretty boy.[/i:hrx2xk5z]"
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Cain shrugged as they left the inn, "I told you, I won't stop you. But we can't do it in the middle of a village. Whoever it is is probably low in the chain, anyway." he snorts, "The power he had wasn't exactly what I'd call impressive. A fireball or something flashy would've been nice." He raised his hands, twirling them in an imaginary fireball form, and sparks flew from his fingers for a split second. "I wonder what he was trying to do, anyway."

[color=indigo:3h740iq8]"And I'll have you know I've aged perfectly well; you've obviously gone senile, pretty boy."
[/color:3h740iq8]
"S-senile? Look who's talking! I'm not the one who decided to cross half [i:3h740iq8]Faerûn[/i:3h740iq8] on some stupid pride trip! I'm not the one who thinks we don't need rest like any normal living creature at night - which is foolish, let me remind you, we need all the sleep we can get! - and I most certainly am [i:3h740iq8]not[/i:3h740iq8] the one ... the senile one!" Cain spluttered out in annoyance, stamping on the ground with each comment.

Realising what he looked like, Cain frowned and huffed, though his anger clearly wasn't bad enough to not smile and wave at a newer acquaintance he had met earlier that day. Cain looked up at the sky, then down at Eli, sighing, "Let's leave this place. Aamina must be anxious. We've been here for a while." He bent, as if to brush dirt from his breeches, and whispered once his head was more of a height with Eli's.

"Should I pull my Sight in case our followers use magic? It's better if you hold off until we face them directly. Once we get to Aamina, she can find them.

"Besides," he added, straightening up and ruffling the top of Eli's hood, which he figured would annoy him - his little stab at his at oft times insufferable companion, "a village this size isn't worth fighting in. It's more fun in those open fields. Like in the stories. Whaddaya say, little brother?" He grins.

Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli swatted Cain's hand from his head with a grunt before pausing in his tracks. "I don't even want to begin to imagine where you left that house-cat of yours," but nodded to the presence of the stone.

"And you, perhaps. This body requires sleep no more then it requires nourishment; as long as I drink sufficiently, I'm capable of planning our little escapades while you bed until the late hours of the morning." That, and the occasional concoction to ensure his soul was properly affixed to his body; in the mean time, he couldn't have it drying out on him.

He shot Cain a cold stare before continuing forward, pushing back a tuft of thick, mud coloured hair from his face that had fallen astray as a result of his pestering. "Not to mention in the company of other people," the Sorcerer added somewhat coldly. He had no time or interest to indulge in such shallow entertainments; not that Cain was near as frivolous as he made him out to be, Eli simply pointed out the worst in everybody.

Despite seeming unfazed by their followers, Eli kept open a keen ear and sharp eye. He had long since learned not to underestimate people, especially magic users.

"Lead the way, old man."
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Blissfully ignoring Eli's snide remarks, Cain led the way through the main street, or, rather, the one proper street the village had. It was surprising, really, that a village so small could have quite so much in it. It barely took a half hour to pass through to the other side.

Once past the gates, Cain looked up as the village gates closed, then locked as dusk approached. Hoping to find two people looking for them when light was starting to fade wasn't the best idea, he figured. He brightened when he saw a small stand-alone copse.

"Let's go! My Aamina must be crying by now! She hates it when I'm late for dinner!" His casual gait quickened to a run.

Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli gave a sniff and rubbed his nose as he looked back on the gate. "Pipe down, you old windbag. There's a [i:258vx9st]reason[/i:258vx9st] they lock the villages up at night, you kn-"

But by the time he turned around, Cain had already run off full stride towards the copse. The boy heaved a heavy sigh and adjusted his hood before revealing a small dagger from the folds of his clothing, twisting it around in his hand. No use wasting perfectly good magic should they run into any forest creatures tonight.

Eli slashed at the air with a hop, grimacing and putting the weapon back in it's proper place, secretly regretting being so small. He'd give them the good old hack and slash.

Another sigh, and he quickened his pace to catch up with his companion- but was careful not to run, he didn't want Cain making the mistake of thinking he [i:258vx9st]cared[/i:258vx9st] whether or not he was alone out here.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt hurriedly followed Eli and Cain, careful to remain out of their notice. He mentally saw Elwyn also following the pair with his pupptes, and along the rooftops, and when the two left the village, Zazzt joined Elwyn on the walls just in time to see Eli and Cain dashing for a copse not far off. With a slight curse, Zazzt and Elwyn leapt off the walls, and also sprinted off after the two. Soon they were joined by a third, more hulking form, as Elwyn's special puppet, Gurgch, a specially crafted flesh golem, joined the two pursuers with his longer strides. Zazzt mentally told Elwyn to hurry, fearing to lose sight of their quarry.

Zyeke
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

As soon as they entered the small expanse of trees, Cain stopped and looked around, calling out loud for his pet. After finally realising that she didn't seem about to come anytime soon, Cain walked further in and plopped himself down.

"Ah well, she's just being difficult. She can't stay away from me that long, you know." He pulled out a tiny scroll before setting it down on the ground and looking up at his companion. "Might as well study or something while we're at it, though. Those men might be here anytime soon. Did you see anything?" He stood up again and walked to a tree, pushing down one branch and peering through the line of trees - the evergreens were thin enough that small patches of the road they had taken were visible. His eyes narrowed as he saw a small cloud of dust settle.

"Either that's one large animal, or someone chased us. I'd be surprised if they came alone." He sighed and went back to where he was sitting. "Just one time, for no one to attempt our life or unharmed kidnapping or something. You know how fun that would be?" He stared up at Eli, "But you wouldn't know. It's almost as if you did everything possible to make people hate you and want to kill you. I swear, one of these days ..."

He pulled out a flask and tossed it to Eli, "Anyway, you've run for a bit. Something for your pretty little soul. I'll make more tea when things have gone down a bit, yeah? And no - don't say anything about it not being ale. It's not like you can even taste the difference, is it?" He paused, realising he didn't even know, and his tone became more curious, "Is it?"

He pulled out his stone and tossed it from palm to palm staring in the direction they had come and expecting their followers to join them at any minute, running through spells in his mind.

Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

"Mm," mumbled Eli, taking a swig from the flask. The answer was [i:3cm8xidm]no[/i:3cm8xidm], but he still left the question ignored. Wiping his lips he stood opposite Cain, peering into the expanse of land beyond the clump of trees.

"That would be asking too much." He took out his dagger again, spinning it clumsily around pointed fingers; after relying years on magic, he hadn't much skill in weaponry. "Not that you have to worry about kidnapping. A moody child is much easier to stuff in a sack and sling over your shoulder then a [i:3cm8xidm]strapping young lad.[/i:3cm8xidm]"

Eli frowned deeply and took another swig, recalling some less-then-friendly encounters in the past.

Whoever was chasing them took pride in being flashy; his attempts were in no way subtle. This struck the boy as something- -somewhat familiar.

"With any luck she'll stay away from you and attach herself to our guest instead; no use in getting my robe all messy for nothing." He brushed off his pants and sat down with a sigh, "[i:3cm8xidm]Those[/i:3cm8xidm] types of stains are the hardest to get out."