Karazan - the new city

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

User avatar
Kiaransalyn
Traveler
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

Post by Kiaransalyn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 am

"To address some of the questions that have been raised," Karas begins by way answering Xun'arra, "As to the raising of cotton, the local climate isn't suitable for it. But flax, for the production of linen, can be grown here. A linen is a finer material too.

"As for domesticated animals, the farms have cattle, hence the cheese you have in your stores. We have a small flock of sheep, and there are a few goats too. There are rumours that some pigs in the forest could be easily domesticated."

Karas waits while T'risstree speaks, then speaks after her. "The orcs and others I mentioned haven't yet been sighted, but it does seem sensible to put some defence in place.

"It seems to me that you are all beginning to formulate plans of what you want to do."

User avatar
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Western Australia
Contact:

Post by Talwyn Aureliano » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:26 am

"I thank Matron Helviiryn for her vote of confidence in my abilities to act as a diplomatic on behalf of this settlement." He bowed in her direction politely.

"However, before I agree to set off on such a venture, I must ensure that the requirements of my folk are met. As it has been mentioned, we will need products to trade with. In order to get our brewry going, I will require a Cooper to make barrels and a smith to forge the iron hoops in which to bind the barrels. That means first in getting of suitable timber and finding workable ore deposists. The former is no trouble but finding a workable ore body will be a challenge."

"Therefore, I believe we should enact the following as a plan:

1 - we follow Matron Helviiryns plan to send out scouts to find out the lay of the lands around us.

2 - forgaging & hunting parties from House Veilochar and from the Golden Lion set out immediately to gather foods and livestock for our farms. A catalogue of any stands of food bearing trees and plants will be required.

3 - New farms must be started as soon as possible. Livestock and grain should be our priorities. As stated, the Golden Lions will be breaking ground after this meeting concludes.

4 - Working parties have to be sent out to cut and transport raw timber back to the settlement to aid in construction. A lumber yard will have to be built. I volunteer my men for this task.

5 - a basic earthen rampart and stockade must be built for our defenses. All of the citizens of this settlement must contribute to this project as it benefits us all. As we grow, we can improve on the defenses.

6 - a platform and watch tower should also be built as soon as possible to monitor any movement beyond our immediate borders and give signal if hostils are approaching.

7 - A militia or defense unit of volunteers must be established to maintain a basic line of defense.

8 - a sanitation plan for the town must be drawn up within the year. Fresh water cisterns or a resevior must be built and a sewer system dug so disease does not become a problem.

and finally a delegation will have to travel to meet with the other settlements.

I believe that will cover the basics that we can manage within a year that will give us the best chance of making this a viable town.

I would like the council to vote on these meassures please.

We can vote on then en masse or on each one, it is your choice."
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Image

User avatar
Kiaransalyn
Traveler
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

Post by Kiaransalyn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:51 am

Karas waits for the other three council members to reply. He studies their faces, hoping to see a glimpse of their thoughts displayed.

User avatar
Bergeth'fryn
Regular
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Bergeth'fryn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:54 am

Vielochar again stood, " I shall deploy 4 of my followers to the hunt, 2 shall go to assist in forming the militia. Your offers of assistance are most appreciated milord Talwyn, milady Helviiryn."
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.

User avatar
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:31 am

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04 am

Carefully listening to the human, T'risstre eyes were half closed as she examined his proposals in detail in her mind.

After Veilochar had spoken, she stirred out of her silent contemplation.

"You show a clarity and a breathd of vision I was not expecting from a human Knight Captain. I agree in porinciple to your list of taks and goals and will committ my people accordingly."

"First, I will match House Veilochar with 4 House troops to particpate in the hunting party. Since they will be out roaming, I would suggest that the scouting mission be folded into the hunting mission which will save both time and people from being diverted into a duplicate activity."

"Second, 2 of my house troops will be sent to be part of the militia."

"I will also send 2 of my men to assist in the lumber project as timber will be essential to any construction for now."

"Next House Helviiryn will also dedicate itself to starting a new farm. Until we have raw materials for my weaver to work with, there is little she can accomplish however I will set her to start training others immediately in the craft despite the lack of raw materials."

"My House wizard will aid in the construction of the earthern rampart and will be able to speed the process through the use of the DIG spell. Two other men will be allocated to that role. Once that is completed, he will be directed to draw up the plans for the sewers and road network for the settlement."

"I can not spare any more people to projects at this point. It is upto House Alean'rahel, Veilochar and of course the Golden Lions to committ more personnel if we wish to succed as a community. Selfishness and suspiscion will harm all of us at this critical moment. I urge my fellow council members to take the necessary steps and committ the required people that will ensure this towns survival."
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme

User avatar
Kiaransalyn
Traveler
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

Post by Kiaransalyn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:12 am

Karas smiles as the discussion continues, (as if a divination were coming true).

"Whilst you all have been talking I have thought of a monetary system that we might employ. It takes the form of a small glass globe. Within it, there is a figure that will show how much in profit or in debt you are. I can make it so that each globe is attuned to its bearer. This might help us work together better.

"With regard to the town's defences, I can offer some of my own household to help. I will also send out two scouts to look for a stone quarry."

User avatar
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Western Australia
Contact:

Post by Talwyn Aureliano » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:31 am

"I thank Matron Helviiryn for her kind words," he said with a half smile.

"She is correct though in her statement that we must now committ our resources to the enterprises that are before us. I will send along the ships mate, Mr Basil Zemplis [Rogue 4], to accompany the hunting & scouting party."

"I will then committ 3 people to the task of securing lumber [2 COM 1 WAR] and I will personally lead the expidition to harvet the lumber."

"2 more of my men [2 WAR] will be dedicated to the militia leaving Mr Perspex and the rest to begin a new farm. This farm will focus on grain and fruit production."

"My people are totally committed to the endevours and will be unavailbe until summer for new duties."
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Image

User avatar
Bergeth'fryn
Regular
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Bergeth'fryn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Vielochar again stood, "I have only just remembered, a child among our farming families has told me that, if provided with proper tools, he can work wood into more favorable shapes for us. He shall be open for business as soon as we acquire tools and material for him to use. Also, due to the lack of my kin's experience in farming we would be willing to trade 'ownership' of our farms for favorable trading arrangements and continued support. Instead of farming we would devote our efforts to the hunt and to the defense of this settlement."
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.

User avatar
Arya Baenre
Resident
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:57 am
Contact:

Post by Arya Baenre » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Xun'arra nods to herself, then speaks up, "Your words are wise, indeed, Master Talwyn. My brother, Tazryn is a fighter; he will join the militia in aid, as will his most recent third in command at my house. Should any of the commoners wish to aid in our militia, my brother will be pleased to offer teaching as well."

"Apart from my other brother, who wishes to remain with us in case our house requires his help, we have two more wizards at our disposal. These two will be sent to aid with the watchtowers after the sewers have been finished. I am sure our wizards can find some way to keep this city safe between them." she nods at T'risstree.

"This sanitation and sewer plan seems most intelligent. We could hardly lose a few men to disease when we have only just formed a village. While defense in our city is most important, I feel it will be for nothing if we cannot defend the people from the most common of enemies; as Master Talwyn said, we do want to avert disease, and I therefore believe that this task is what we should be paying most attention to. The wizards I have mentioned before will play their role in this, aiding for a faster construct of a sewage system. My sister, Ilphayn, is a cleric; she will help to speed the formation by using the talents she has to shape the stone so that it will allow the flow of sewage. This should cut down on time quite a bit."

"Karas, is there freshwater or saltwater around here? What I mean to ask is need we only worry about purifying the water, or do we also have to take into account the salt?"

She looks at Vielochar, tapping a finger against her lips, "Master Vielochar, I was curious as to what you hoped to get in an exchange for your farms. I am interested in opening more space for my farmers to grow more varied crops so that we will not starve should harm come to one crop. Also, as Karas has said, flax will grow in these parts, and I do wish to try my hand at that."

Xun'arra turns to T'risstree again, "I did offer to set up a clothing shop, however it seems that you have a talented weaver among your ranks. We can drop this idea, and sell you whatever materials we may have to you, opening up more of my house to be delegated to other tasks helping around the city, if you wish. We can then continue to exchange silk and linen."

Finally, she turns to Talwyn, "You said you would need help making the barrels and hoops and such. I cannot offer help with the wood, but the man I mentioned before would be able to make these hoops for you, if you wish to send him dimensions and such."
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.


Your hair is pretty like a tree.

User avatar
Kiaransalyn
Traveler
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

Post by Kiaransalyn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:18 pm

Karas smiles at Xun'arra, "The river and the water here is fresh. Over in the west, near Bala there is lots of salt-water, but here all water is sweet."

User avatar
Bergeth'fryn
Regular
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Bergeth'fryn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:44 am

Vielochar looked to Xun'arra, "We would desire food, supplies, and quarters. As the warriors we are, we would be able to be much more efficient in a hunting and scouting capacity than we could as farmers."
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.

User avatar
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:31 am

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:06 am

"Now that people have spoken, I will re-arrange my priorities."


"If you are surrendering your farms Veilochar, I will take one as that will save time as my house will not have to build a new one. I will send 6 people [5 COM, 1 EXP] to take on that task. However, despite the fact you are dedicated to being warriors, there are not enough of us to do all the other tasks and so like it or not, your house will have to shoulder some of the burden in providing labor in regards to the necessary tasks. The humans have a quaint expression: [i:3qud7ia4]there ain't no such thing as a free lunch[/i:3qud7ia4]. Simply put, you will have to work to eat, just like the rest of us. Simply being warriors will not excuse you from this task if you want this colony to survive. Hunting will provide some food but not enough to feed everyone."

She smiled sweetly letting that fact sink then continued speaking.


"Next I will committ 2 of my folk [2 EXP] to the lumber detail."

"For the hunting/scouting party, I will assign, Captain Guldor and 1 other [1 WAR]. This will leave my house wizard, Shyntdar and one other [1 COM] to work on the diggings for the moat/earthern rampart and the sewer system. The last 2 and myself will focus on crafting from materails gathered [2 EXP]."
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme

User avatar
Kiaransalyn
Traveler
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

Post by Kiaransalyn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:12 am

Karas speaks, "If the farms that I gave you are being surrendered, Master Vielochar then I will not stop you. I will suggest, however, that while one farm goes to Matron T'risstree and one to Matron Xun'arra that the woodworker goes to Master Talwyn.

"Yes, that is a good trade. I think we should all agree on that. Then conclude for the moment, resuming in three months time. I, for one, am ready to leave, and I've no doubt you've got better things to do too." Karas rises impatiently, before sitting down again.

User avatar
Bergeth'fryn
Regular
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Bergeth'fryn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:57 pm

Vielochar bowed to Karas, "Indeed, Master Talwyn may employ the services of the woodworking child."
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.

User avatar
Kiaransalyn
Traveler
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

Description of Karazan

Post by Kiaransalyn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:06 pm

[u:7ckblqzr]Spring[/u:7ckblqzr]

The three months of Spring saw the small settlement of Karazan grow as new buildings were built. Trees were cut, ground cleared and crops planted. All of this was performed in almost constant rain. The Spring saw regular heavy rainfalls, making the ground muddy and work unpleasant. Tempers were not far from the surface as many toiled on empty stomachs. Yet, the sense of discontent was balanced by the fact that all knew this was the start of something.

[u:7ckblqzr]Karazan[/u:7ckblqzr]
The hamlet of Karazan is situated upon a bluff, overlooking a wide bend in a river, which flows in its valley. Towards the West, the land climbs into oak and beech forest. To the East, the land also climbs but higher, and into brooding moorland, populated here and there by clumps of pine. North leads upriver, and towards the headwaters of the river. This way also climbs upwards, first through deciduous forest, then into mountains.

To the South, the land is gentle plain, with the river gaining strength from each tributary before flowing out of site.

The centre of Karazan is a large square, to one side is the small council hall. To the other a large ship, which forms the Golden Lion. Houses Alean'rahel and Helviiryn are building nearby. The beginnings of buildings devoted to smith-craft, brewing and woodworking are nearby.

The main buildings in Karazan are farmhouses, populated by those who are working and cursing soggy fields. The western fields are suited to crops, those to the east for pasture. The southlands are not yet touched but they look suitable, or they would if it wasn't for the large pools of standing water due to the constant downpour.

[u:7ckblqzr]The start of Summer[/u:7ckblqzr]
As Spring moves into Summer, the weather gets warmer, and the land finally starts to dry. Karas, whose habitation remains concealed, despite the scouting and militia patrols reappears one day, to announce that his divinations forecast an ideal summer. He also says that the council will meet again in a weeks time to discuss Summer.

Before that meeting, a number of things happen. Your scouts have spotted a number of heavily armed duergar approaching from the south. They are accompanied by four wagons drawn by strong horses. They are making slow but steady progress.

Your scouts also spot a small party of drow in the north, and a small party of humans have been seen in the western woods.

Post Reply