A spell gone awry...

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Vailintin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vailintin »

[OOC: You assume correctly. As it is, Tristian and kin can 'see' without light.]

Tristian lets down his wings, letting anxiety melt away as Veraka plays interpreter, that is until he recalls brief explanations about that plane from one of the few clerics in his family, and this only renews the edge to wariness. Keeping one ear focused on Veraka, the other on how and where his voice, travels and bounces back. To others, these may be simple echoes, but the approaching figure, he notices just barely, her scent distinguished next to the suspicious man-bat creature.

He begins to respond to Veraka, "Well... that I'm not exactly sure about, though I can only guess one of those Harpells had...." he trails off, when their friend from the plane of shadow vanishes again, and a new voice, one he does a poor job of pretending not to have noticed her, cuts in with a new question. He takes a stab at some humor then, "Ohhhh no reason,just out for a stroll through the caves, with my friend here, and then this giant of a human came along, with his dog and girlfriend..." still Tristian keeps close to the other bat that stayed with him, plotting escape routes.
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Seeing Tristian reaction of tension, a both glowing silver eyes narrow and look to the aasimar's left as he turns his head slightly.

Veraka, hearing the new, feminine voice, whirls, his armored hand raising his sword to a neutral position; his eyes came upon a drow female, who had made it apparent that she was . Though his initial predictions were thrown off, he became aware of Tristian's attempt at humor. Sheathing Marala Vharc to show his non-hostile intentions to the new female arrival, Veraka turns back to Tristian, saying "that's aasimar, friend; if I were human, well, suffice to say that I'd look a lot older than I do. Oh and Aurora here is a winter wolf; do please try to remember that slight fact; she's does [b:167zt5vp]not[/b:167zt5vp] like being compared to a domestic dog."

The aasimar then waits for the new female to introduce herself, wondering if she too only spoke drow, or understood common.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

Barvl re-emerged from the shadows behind the elf shapechanger, "Not b-b-bad folk h-here" Unsure how else to explain the lack of evil taint he usually saw on bad people, A little better with the surface language he had noticed this one using.
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
Vailintin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vailintin »

Tristian's eyes widen a bit, for he has only ever [b:2hdyeqxs]heard[/b:2hdyeqxs] of these beings called Aasimar, to get to see one, while not as impressive as the stories, he shall surely have some bragging rights if and when he returns to his family. Detaching himself from keeping close company to his feral companion, he dips into a courteous bow to both Veraka and Aurora, flourishing his wings, in grandiose manner, switching to the mysterious Druidic tongue, taught to none who are not druids themselves, though understood by animals, "My deepest apologies, Lady Aurora, I meant no offense with my little jest." And then back to common, as he rises, nodding to Veraka, "A pleasure to finally meet one of the mighty Aasimar, truly, Selune heard my prayers to have your company."

Alert, still on edge, despite the comforting company of an Aasimar, and tales of danger around every corner in dangerous Underdark, nothing could upset Tristian's following calm, as the sudden reappearance of Barvl, behind him. Or more accurately, his voice coming from so close behind, without even his scent registering first. Before the Shade Elf, even finishes his sentence, not just Tristian, but the dire bat at his side, both whirl about, the former baring claws, and poised to slash with both hands, before recognition sets in. The latter, acting purely instinct however, comes reaching across to swipe with the alar claw of her wing. It is halted though, mid-swing, inches from connecting (if of course it were not evaded), by Tristian, hooking his own wing around hers, and while glaring at Barvl, moving to sooth her, speaking in the 'language', if it can be called such, of bats. No... he is not bad folk, but given to animal instincts only slightly less than a truly wild animal, spooking him is seldom wise.
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Kathryn's lip curls at Tristian's mocking answer, not really noticing that he is not as surprised to see her there.

At the aasimar's - Veraka, was it? - introduction of himself, she cannot help but look impressed. Tales of his kind often travel to the Underdark, but that deathly nature she had heard about seemed so tame. Her eyes wander over to the female standing beside him, her name slipping her memory. She must be the reason. But, this was the Underdark. If they were to keep company for a little longer, they would surely come across a fight. Perhaps then the tales would be given justice.

She notices that the slippery one that had just introduced himself before she had entered had re-entered, so to speak, coming up behind the bat. He attempts to speak in drow, but falters. Wondering what his native language is, she turns to Tristian and shrugs, "Humour like that often gives rise to ... misunderstanding." Her eyes linger on him for a moment before she adds softly, "and misunderstandings, well ... they don't go too well down here, do they, Mister ... ah? I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name." She speaks in Common now, the hint of an accent in her tone lightly slurring her words, but otherwise near-perfect.

She nods to Barvl, wondering what he could mean by 'bad folk'. Hoping that if they did have some way of detecting evil they would allow her to explain herself before trying to kill her first, and that neither option would end in her death, Kathryn smiles at him. "No, no bad folk here. Quite the opposite, I'm sure."
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

Barvl hissed, but instead of retreating back to the comfort of shadow again, he drew what appeared to be a slender longsword with no cross-guard, curius for the chain attached to the bottom of it, winding up his right arm. "S-sorry," he continues in the surface tongue," I f-f-f... I nnot want to fight."
T'riss'ae_d'wylthen
Maid
Maid

Post by T'riss'ae_d'wylthen »

((OOC: Just so you guys know I've only been rping for just under a year so I'm still rough around the edges. Please pardon any mistakes that I make as I am still learning.))

T'riss'ae had been traveling far and wide throughout the Underdark. "Not again," she murmured to herself and cursed. Sighing she looked down toward her werewolf familiar and companion Kala. [i:rvb4ul2n]You've gotten us hopelessly lost once again haven't you? I knew I should have been the one to navigate[/i:rvb4ul2n], Kala answered back. Since she was T'riss'ae's familiar, they shared an empathic link that allowed for easy communication. The young Drow wore a cloak over her usual armor of the Dark Maiden, her Moonblade, Sril've Jess, hung at her side. About to give up and try to set up camp, T'riss heard voices up ahead. Grinning from ear to ear, the girl quickened her step. Doer Kala! Let's go! Maybe we can ask for directions!" Kala groaned and said nothing as she canted behind T'riss.

Just before they arrived, T'riss'ae slowed her steps as not to alarm them. "Vendui all. I am T'riss'ae d'Wylthen of the House Arab'lyl. I mean no harm and am a traveler," she called out in Drow. There was a soft and gentle lilt to her voice as she spoke. "Er...it seems I have gotten myself lost..." T'riss put her arms out away from her sides slightly, but not too far. With that distance she could still reach the daggers at her outer thighs. She had arrived behind the other Drow female and was oblivious to any tension or danger in the air.
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

{{OOC: Welcome, T'riss. ;)}}

She steps back when Barvl brings out his longsword, mentally forcing herself to keep her hands by her sides and not draw her weapon.

[color=indigo:2i8dlbnd]"Vendui all. I am T'riss'ae d'Wylthen of the House Arab'lyl. I mean no harm and am a traveler," she called out in Drow. [/color:2i8dlbnd]

Focused on Barvl as she is, Kathryn nearly jumps at the voice behind her, turning around and stumbling backwards. Cursing her inattentiveness, Kathryn steps back a little more, maintaining a safe distance from the new drow as she introduced herself, trying to seem inconspicuous.

She nods to the drow, "I am Kathryn of House Ithari. I am afraid I am of no use to you as I find myself ... lost at the moment as well," she responds in drow. She finds herself hesitant to explain this, as the words sound weak even as they leave her mouth. Right near her homeland, and she was lost.

"Where is it you were going?" Her inquisitive gaze drops to the blade resting on T'riss'ae's hip. A sinking suspicion arises in Kathryn, and she looks back at the other two behind her, noting escape routes. What were the chances of running into a follower of Eilistraee right out of Menzoberranzan?

Hoping they were slim, Kathryn pulls her cloak tighter around her, noting another shape near T'riss'ae.

T'riss'ae_d'wylthen
Maid
Maid

"Greetings to you as well," she returned in Drow. She sighed disappointedly when she heard the female Drow said she was also lost. [i:1f4dacrm]This doesn't bode well[/i:1f4dacrm], she said to Kala along their link. Kala gave a wolfish snicker as she trotted up beside her friend. [i:1f4dacrm]As I said earlier.[b:1f4dacrm] I [/b:1f4dacrm]should have been the one to get us out of here and to the surface. You know you're hopeless with directions but nooo you wanted to lead the way this time.[/i:1f4dacrm] Kala nipped at T'riss to make her annoyance known. No matter that the young drow was wearing armor....

T'riss gave Kala a foul look before looking to the other beings there in their impromptu party. Since it was pitch dark, she was suddenly glad she had taken the time to purchase the enchanted band about her forehead. It was unnoticeable because her hair was always falling in her face. It allowed her to see through this inky darkness, which was why she had been able to see the others so clearly. She tilted her head curiously as she noticed that the being standing just a ways off. "Would you be able to give me directions to the nearest portal sir?" she asked in Drow. She prayed to the Lady that he knew. T'riss was tired of this dank air and longed for the fresh scents of the woods.
Vailintin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vailintin »

[quote:1i6y400z]Barvl hissed, but instead of retreating back to the comfort of shadow again, he drew what appeared to be a slender longsword with no cross-guard, curius for the chain attached to the bottom of it, winding up his right arm. "S-sorry," he continues in the surface tongue," I f-f-f... I nnot want to fight."[/quote:1i6y400z]

Initially, as the sword came out, Tristian's first instinct, as passionate a lover of nature as any druid, was to protect the very bat he was trying to calm, mentally at least, preparing to use one of his day's prepared spells, suitable for carnival acts, to shrink Barvl... that is until the apology is issued, and through narrowed eyes, the lycanthropic druid simply replies, "Then you should not be sneaking behind people in this Hellish place. Rather be in the Evermoors, than here."

Then his attention is drawn back... back to the newly arriving female, no TWO females, sure as with the previous new arrival, their scents had hit him before their voices, and the perpetual anxiety the Underdark, and its terrible legends, was affording him, kept all his senses acutely alert. These ones though, were conversing with the recently arrived Drow woman, Kathryn, and he was not as hasty to turn and take them in as well, as they did not seem too threatening.

Then a notion strikes him, and he interjects, using Common, doubting his dark underground kin might understand any of the other languages he'd become versed in, "I do not know my way through your.... lands. Nor even know where within them I am, but if you could provide me with some sort of image or scent to focus upon, unique to any place that you do wish to go to, perhaps..." and he looks aside to his newest winged companion, "... WE could find the way. For all I have heard of Underdark, you pay such animals as her so little attention, but roosting so near to your dangerous cities, she is likely afforded some sanctuary between excursions of hunting, surely she knows the ways to many places well."
T'riss'ae_d'wylthen
Maid
Maid

Without a thought, T'riss's hand moved to her pendant. The necklace was an engraved moon with the Lady's emblem emblazoned upon it. "All I have is this pendant. It was given to me by one of the priestesses that inhabit Promenade." Kala sat down next to her companion before speaking herself. "My fur has slight traces of that temples scent on it. You're friend can sniff me if she may like Druid." The wolf had spoke in Common so that she could clearly be understood.
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

Barvl smiled. "I'm s-s-shadow. I c-can take o-o-o-o-o-o-others to p-pla-places!" He gave his blade a mental command and it shrunk into the hilt, then he replaced the handle on it's hook on his bracer.
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

"If you wanted a portal to ... above," Kathryn interjects, "then I believe you are walking the opposite way. I am not entirely sure where we are, but it is one of the ways near Menzoberranzan." She pauses for a moment, trying to remember if there were any fast routes. "There are many caves near one section of the city, but ..." She bites her lip, wishing she knew where it was they were, exactly, the rest of her sentence fading away, figuring that the bat and Barvl were of better help at the moment. Since no one seemed to know where they were, it seemed a good idea to follow around for a while at least. She wasn't going to get anywhere wondering where she was.

"Nevermind," she murmurs.

Vailintin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vailintin »

[center:1p9m1r6b]OOC:[/center:1p9m1r6b]
[center:1p9m1r6b][color=red:1p9m1r6b][b:1p9m1r6b]<<<Attention RPers!>>>[/b:1p9m1r6b][/size:1p9m1r6b][/color:1p9m1r6b][/center:1p9m1r6b]

At this time, I'd like to call for a pause in the RP. As things stand, we've moved pretty far along, and I've found out Veraka is away for the time being. There will be much catching up for him to do when he gets back to us as is. I can't help but feel a little rude, to press on any further without allowing him that opportunity.
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Veraka turned to here the new voice, who revealed herself to be T'riss'ae.
[color=indigo:32g58c8q]Vendui all. I am T'riss'ae d'Wylthen of the House Arab'lyl. I mean no harm and am a traveler,[/color:32g58c8q]

The aasimar a gave a deep bow to the introduced drowess.
"Greetings T'riss'ae; a pleasure to meet you; as to your portal question, I cannot give a clear definitive answer to that, but I assure you, that if I knew of any, or stumble across some, I'll be sure to let you know."

It was Kathyrn's intro, followed by her remark of humor that caused the aasimar to pause; "perhaps humor does give rise to misunderstanding, but like many things in this world, humor only is what the person who perceives it makes it out to be. If misunderstanding is what is concluded from such laughable ideas, then that is from the judgment of the one who thinks so, is it not?"

Neriah looked at her aasimar with astonishment; "Veraka; you do realize that Kathryn here speaks from experience in the Underdark, right?"

"Yes, but I also realize that it is in the eyes of the beholder that such precepts are made and concluded. It is the judgement of the person that shapes such opionions, no offense intended Kathryn; but there is wisdom in all of us moving to more, [b:32g58c8q]non-threatening[/b:32g58c8q] location."
The fey'ri blinked in astonishment again; how her Veraka could answer such things with such a wisdom was beyond her. She guessed that it came with his celestial heritage.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix