The Curse of the Castle in the Mist - a DM'd adventure

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

The Curse of the Castle in the Mist - a DM'd adventure

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

PROLOGUE[/size:3a3s5ic8]

[img:3a3s5ic8]http://www.arondaparks.com/images/52106 ... nsion2.jpg[/img:3a3s5ic8]

[color=darkblue:3a3s5ic8] [i:3a3s5ic8]Your party has been travelling overland to the city of Baldurs Gate, following up on some rumours that one of the Merchant Princes of the city was said to be looking for brave adventurers willing to undertake a special mission (for a suitable fee, of course). You were especially eager to receive the commission, because this particular Merchant Prince has been noted for his generosity, not only with money but also with magical gifts.

Leading your faithful pack mule Dobbin who is laden with your supplies, you have been following a river that the local inhabitants assured you would lead directly to the City.

Unfortunately, no hired guide was available, and either the directions given you were wrong or you have taken the wrong fork by mistake. At any rate, you have good reason to suspect that you are lost and will have to retrace your route tomorrow.

The sun is setting and it is time to make camp. The most defensible campsite is on a nearby hill. The night passes safely, though everyone's sleep is plagued with nightmares. When you awake, the sun is no where to be seen and you stare out at a world gone mad.

Instead of the hill where you made camp last night, your bedrolls now lie in a foyer of an ornate mansion. A freshly swept carpet graces the floor. The walls are decorated with bright, colourful tapestries. Brass candelabras line the entranceway. They show signs of having been recently polished and are filled with candles.

[img:3a3s5ic8]http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-con ... enshot.jpg[/img:3a3s5ic8]

More disturbing than the sudden change from the wilderness to a mansion, is the smoky gray mist which surrounds the mansion at a distance of 30 feet, blocking all sight beyond. No sound penetrates the mist. [/size:3a3s5ic8][/i:3a3s5ic8]

[b:3a3s5ic8]No sound at all. [/b:3a3s5ic8][/size:3a3s5ic8]

[i:3a3s5ic8]Your only pack mule appears to have accidentally wandered off into the mist as you are still gauging your new surroundings. It somehow become untethered and was quickly lost to sight, though its lead rope was clearly visible at the edge of the mist.

When the rope is hauled back in, the dead body of your poor hapless mule is dragged back into view.

What killed the mule cannot be determined but it appeared to have died with a twisted look of pain on it’s on its otherwise placid face.

The mist slowly advances on the mansion as you all watch but luckily it does not enter the foyer.

The double doors to the interior swing open into the main hallway by themselves.

A ghostly childs voice can be heard coming from not all that far away... [/i:3a3s5ic8][/color:3a3s5ic8][/size:3a3s5ic8]

[play for sound effects :devil: ]

[youtube:3a3s5ic8]AvELtlOJSjA[/youtube:3a3s5ic8]

edit:

[The room you are in is 60' wide and 70' long with the main double doors being set in the northwest corner opporiste the enterance/exit to the building. On either side of the room are two huge windows spoace 20 foot from each other. All you can see outside is the grey mist.

The double doorway that has opened up leads to a well lit corridor that is 20' wide and runs northwards for 70' ending in another set of wooden double doors. On the western side of the corridor are 3 windows spaced at 15' intervals which look outside onto the swirling grey mist. On the eastern siide about 40 foot along the wall, you can see a large door which is closed. There is a plush carpet that lines the floor of the corridor.]
Last edited by Talwyn Aureliano on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Virgil's initial reaction, to this whole seemingly doomed awakening, is an almost creepy chuckle, musing to himself, that if he does not escape -this- place, his family curse might at last be broken, doubting he shall live to see the day, he sires a son.

For the Warlock, there is no bothering with preparing his spells, or resting to rebuild his pool of spells per day. Instead, he immediately begins a chant to put to use the invocation, of Devil's Sight (a 24 hour duration, granting normal sight within natural darkness, and 30 feet of vision in magical darkness). True, it may be unnecessary at present, but should the lights go out, he's prepared.

After the ghostly 'greeting' the white-haired, youth in his early twenties, turns those strange-to-human-features, yellow eyes to his companions, the strange though common-to-him, tone to his voice sounding more serious than jesting,"[color=indigo:3369ubo2]Well, what a cheerful little vacation spot this is. Who wants the little girl's room? Shall I go see if the pantry is stocked?[/color:3369ubo2]"

Looking around a bit more, he also mentally reviews his knowledge of the other Planes, wondering if he might recognize where, if not the plane they -were- in, they are now.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

T'risstree felt very disturbed and was deeply worried when she awoke to find that her and her companions where no longer camped outside on a pleasant hill in the countryside.

When the dead mule as dragged back in from the mist, her worry deepened. What was going on she thought to herself.

She'd heard of extra planar travel before but had never experienced it.

Then the ghostly childs nursery rhyme echoed out followed by the creepy music box music. She looked about the room intently, seeing only the way out to the mist and the doors that had opened up leading further into the building.

[color=blue:15vz6psf]"Well, what a cheerful little vacation spot this is. Who wants the little girl's room? Shall I go see if the pantry is stocked?" joked Victor.[/color:15vz6psf]

"Cheerful wouldn't be the term I would have picked at first Victor. This is very disturbing. How did we get here and more importantly, who brought us here and why? They must have very powerful magics to be able to shift us here...unless this is all an illusion?" she asked the Warlock.

She tapped a wall to make sure it was indeed real.
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

"It looks and feels real to me T'risstree," replied Talwyn.

He looked down sadly at the dead mule. Poor thing he thought.

"Virgil, I think we should wait for a minute and see if anyone comes to us first. After all, we were brought here and maybe the ones who have done this might be on their way to speak to us?"

He turned to see how Lothir and Veraka were faring while taking note of their new surroundings.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Veraka's expression was one of utter confusion; not only had he and Aurora been transferred from a open hill to a mansion, but a mansion that rang out with a creepy stillness that seemed to absorb the very life from the air.

[color=indigo:2hqt5e5t]This is very disturbing. How did we get here and more importantly, who brought us here and why? They must have very powerful magics to be able to shift us here"[/color:2hqt5e5t]

"Disturbing is only the beginning of what I would use to describe this area; if someone did bring us here. . . . . ." he paused, "then whispered to himself, "then they'll quickly find out why I'm not the most tolerant of men."

Looking around, then down to the mule, he face grew concerned; "well whatever did that to the poor mule is obviously within this area; so I suggest that we keep our wits about us and our weapons handy," Veraka finished by drawing out Marala Vharc.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

The bard says nothing at first, but merely looks around at the surroundings with a clearly nervous expression. When Virgil speaks, he suppresses a shiver, then gets a mischievous look, and unstraps his lute. He plays a few bars of a creepy tune, with a slightly sarcastic grin. (OOC: think "Twilight Zone" theme here, :p )

Then he turns serious again. "I agree with the tin-can over there. This stinks of something evil. And most likely unnatural. Anyone else getting the heebie-jeebies? I'd imagine whoever 'lives' here is probably NOT friendly." He puts away the lute, and slips the two daggers out of his boots, then whispers the command to shift them back to their saber form. "I'm ready," he says looking at the others. "Shall we go see who's home?"
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

As he studies his surroundings, even the misty outside, Virgil's eyes light up with realization, for he [b:2k9i4z6q]does[/b:2k9i4z6q] know where they are, generally speaking, and so pours forth another chuckle, even more creepy than the last, and he nearly rises to deep, loud laughter, before snapping his eyes back to his gathered companions, "Oh, it's quite real, at least in terms of where we are. The specific location, I am not sure, but this is most assuredly, The Astral Plane. Magic should work fine here, and though I've not been to this plane before, it is my understanding, that weapons may not be as useful here, as upon the Prime Material."

He gives a mock apologetic glance to Talwyn and Veraka, tolerant of them, and considering them friends, only from time spent traveling together, he still harbors a disdain for the Paladin class in general.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Talwyn glanced askance at Virgil, the mocking look in his eyes was unmistakable.

[i:k0solrk3]I wonder why he feels this way[/i:k0solrk3]? he thought briefly but more pressing matters pushed such speculation aside.

He slowly nodded as he considerd Virgils pronouncement.

"Very well, I am by no means any expert on planar travel and will defer to more learned people on such matters," he said with a small nod in Virgils direction. "Still, if we are in the Astral plane, that means this place," he gestured around him, "must have come from somewhere and whomever or whatever brought us here may still be in this place. Weapons may not be as effective as Virgil says but all that means is we hit things a bit harder if we are forced too. So far nothing has threatened or attacked us but I would think it prudent to be on our guard. We were taken and brought here without our consent. That, in my book at least, is not a friendly thing to do. There is no way out going outside," he pointed at the grey void swirling at the enterance, " and so the only way forward is through that passage way."

He unfastened his shield and readied his longsword.

"T'riss, could you scout ahead and make sure the way ahead is safe to procede please? The rest of us will be not far behind you and don't be herioc if you come across anything too dangerous. Veraka and I can deal with that."
Last edited by Talwyn Aureliano on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

She sniffed at Talwyn's cautioning.

"Huh! Talwyn, just let me do what I am good at hmm?" she said with a teasing smile.

"Very well, I'll scout ahead and see what lays ahead. I think you should wait here till I get back."

She began to move with uncanny grace and stealth, as shadows seemed to suddenly flow around her. It was hard to see her outline as she moved down the large corridor.

[Hide in Shadows and Move Silently d20 DC = 16 at the [url=http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm:rin0dca7]WotC site[/url:rin0dca7]]
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

The bard looks at talwyn and chuckles softly. "I guess she told YOU, eh, tal?" he says with a smirk. "He watches her slink off into the corridor, and nods appreciatively. "Nice. She IS good, but perhaps a second pair of eyes might be advisable?" He casts a quick spell and suddenly becomes invisible. "This way I can keep an eye on her for you, Tal." His voice seems to come from a few feet ahead now, as if he is moving away.

(OOC: Move Silent= 17)
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

As an after thought, Virgil comments, "We should all stay at least in pairs. The Astral Plane is no place to be caught off your guard. IF we are actually physically here, no one will be the wiser, should we perish here, and if we're not, if these are our Astral projections, then be on your guard if you see any creatures with yellowish brown-mottled skin, carrying silvery swords. Best if we can avoid contact with their kind."

Seeing as he's not very stealthy himself, used to relying on his oft-devastating magic to make it unnecessary, a sigh is given and he puts himself in step behind the two paladins, "Guess I'm with you two. Just try to leave me a line of fire, and keep frontal attackers off me, and hopefully we should work well in concert should we have to fight something." No he's not thrilled with pairing with paladins, but seeing as these two have either not figured out the source of his magic, or just deemed fit not to stone him to death for being empowered by demon blood and demon curse, and he has traveled with them for some time, it's a tolerable arrangement. Besides, he needs those heavily melee-oriented bodies out in front, soaking up the direct attacks, that he may cast his deadly Tanar'ri-given magics, to their mutual benefit.
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Veraka smirked at Virgil's warning, but took it seriously for what it was; "eyes out for ugly baddies with shiny swords, check," he said with his dry humor. Aurora grumbled something at his remark.

Veraka was all to aware of Virgil's demonic heritage, despite the fact that the warlock tried to hide it. Being of celestial decent himself, the aasimar naturally sensed it within him, but Virgil had been reasonably about his motives, and if they were truly on the Astral Plane, then all the more reason to keep him around; Veraka did like the idea of having someone of his caliber lobbing spells down range if to keep others busy whilst he and Talwyn fended off frontal assualts.

So the aasimar kept his sword ready and his shield up front, not chancing an ambush to the front by surprise.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[color=blue:a54sxnbi][i:a54sxnbi][As T’risstree and Lothir successfully stalk silently down the large corridor, the large doorway set 40’ to their left suddenly opens up noiselessly at they pass it by.

Looking inside they can see that this 80’ x 80’ room is luxuriously furnished with plush chairs, polished wooden tables, ornate rugs and other fine furniture. There is a doorway in the north end of the room and another directly opporsite the one that has just opened set on the eastern side of the room. Both doors are 10' double doors and are currently closed.

The furniture has been pushed back against the walls and the carpets have been rolled up. In the middle of the floor, an impromptu boxing ring has been set up. In one corner of the ring, a man? stands as still as a statue with his hands raised in the boxing guard position. This man is wearing amber silk trunks. You notice that his skin has an unreal quality about it.

Seated near the boxer and looking back out through the doorway directly at T’risstree and Lothir is another man dressed in colourful silks, fancy lace and rich velvets. He also wears a large-brimmed hat flaunting a peacock's feather. A jewelled rapier is slung on his right side on a supple leather baldric and his large hands are encased in supple black leather gloves. He has wavy black hair and a closely trimmed beard which comes to a point. His eyes are a gleaming yellow colour and he smiles at them both with what could only be described as tigerish. Behind him are two men in plate mail with open faced helms carrying halberds stand as guards on either side of the richly dressed man. The guards' flesh has the same unreal quality as the boxer's. The seated man's flesh does not have this quality.

While the chairs have been pushed back, they all face toward the boxing ring. Floating above the centre of each chair is a pair of red, unblinking eyes that turn to watch you.][/i:a54sxnbi][/color:a54sxnbi][/size:a54sxnbi]

[b:a54sxnbi][color=red:a54sxnbi]"Aha! Wonderful...more visitors to the Castle! What a delightful turn of events. Please do come in and there is no need to maintain your stealthy approach. I'm just as much a prisoner here as you are so we may as well start off by being civilized and friendly no? Call me Felix," [/color:a54sxnbi][/b:a54sxnbi] says the seated man in strange accented tones which you are unfamiliar with.
[b:a54sxnbi][color=red:a54sxnbi]"Ask your companions in the main entry hall to come in and join us as I have a proposal for you."[/color:a54sxnbi][/b:a54sxnbi]
Last edited by Talwyn Aureliano on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

T'risstree had been ready to leap back when the doorway opened to her left but seeing that nothing hostile was emerging from it, she relaxed slightly but maintained her alertness.

She was a little disturbed that the seated figure seemed to be able to see both her and Lothir as if they were just standing there unhidden.

[Knowledge (arcana) 10 + Int 2 + DC d20 check 11 = 23 - what are the red eyes and can she tell if the man is using psionics to track her and Lothir?]

[i:21z6mlfi]It may be psionics he is using?[/i:21z6mlfi] she signaled to Lothir in the Drow silent finger language.

She dropped her stealthy posture and listened as the man introduced himself but did not enter the room.

Instead she merely nodded and waved down the corridor for the others to come forward and join them while keeping a careful watch on the figures in the room.
clicky2cme
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[ successful knowledge check = the eyes are a form of the spells Wizard Eye & Phantasmal Force. Since T'riss is not a psionicist she won't know if the man is employing psionics but its an astute guess ;) - as a side note, all drow racial powers appear to work at the moment, including magic resistence ]