The Curse of the Castle in the Mist - a DM'd adventure

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

The bard looks into the room uneasily, and mouths a silent curse at having been discovered. With a small sigh and a shake of his head, he lets the invisibility drop, but stays back from the doorway into the room. He casts a nervous glance at the eyes above all the chairs, clearly wondering what is going on.

[Knowledge Arcana check- 10 + Int 4 + roll 10 + 24]- to see if he can tell what they are.

When T'riss signals to him, he turns to her with a shrug, indicating that he doesn't know. However, he speaks to the man from outside the room, still ovbiously cautious.

"You spoke of being a prisoner. I think that until we ascertain that you are neither attempting to lure us into a trap, nor that we would become prisoners ourselves should we enter, we shall elect to stay out here while we listen to your porposal, good sirrah. No offense, of course- but we hardly know who you are or why we have been brought here."
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Virgil, registering the motion to follow, to the newly opened doorway, and at least recognizing that his companions appear to be conversing with something or someone beyond the doorway, approaches them, ever cautious.

Once able to see what is to be found beyond the doorway, his mock cheerful manner deepens into a truly sincere grim wariness, issuing a whispered suggestion to, "Be careful, the Astral Plane, much like dreams, isn't always what it seems."

Scrutinizing all the entities within the room beyond the doors, Virgil once more searches his knowledge of the planes, hoping to identify any of them, by either nature or name. Hoping to make the study more effective, he also inquires, "To whom are we speaking, and by what name goes the strangely clad fellow within this peculiar arena?"

[Gather Information check - 21 = 4 Cha + 17 roll]
[Knowledge (The Planes) check - 24 = 6 ranks + 4 Int + 14 roll]
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[ Lothirs check is the same result as T'risstree's - the eyes are an amalgam of the spell Wizard Eye and Phantasmal Force, used to observe remotely ]

[color=red:yjijwlbp][b:yjijwlbp]"Ahh...another Drow...how unusual. No, I can assure you I'm not attempting to entrap you sir. Rather perhaps interest you and your companions in a test of martial arts. Your best fighter versus mine," he indicates to the still figure in the amber coloured pants in the boxing pose. "I'm willing to wager any amount you care that bet that your best man will not be able to go 3 rounds against Joe here. Well...what do you say hmm? Would perhaps either of the two holy warriors be up to test their mettle for a bit of harmless sport?" he asked with a predatory grin.[/b:yjijwlbp][/color:yjijwlbp]

[Virgil checks - Gather Information success - the entities with the unnatural looking skin may be constructs of some kind but Virgil isn't able to get a good enough view from this distance to be 100% certain (they're over 40' away from you at the moment). The fellow in the "snappy threads" gives Virgil the creeps. There is something very odd about his hands. Although he is wearing gloves, his hands seem to be the wrong way around, palms facing upwards instead of down.
Knowledge (Planar) success - however Virgil is unsure if the "man" before him is actually of extra planar origin or a native of the astral - "he" may be native to Faerun and other worlds ]

[color=red:yjijwlbp][b:yjijwlbp]The seated man blinked at Virgils question.

"I'm not normally in the habit of repeating myself but since we've just met, I'll make an exception for civility's sake. Call me Felix," he says with a non chalant shrug.

"Please, don't just all stand there gawping like a bunch of slack jawed peasants, come in and have a look around. There's only me and my warriors here, there is no need to be afraid," he finished with a casual wave of his hand as he reclined back in his plush armchair.[/b:yjijwlbp][/color:yjijwlbp]
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

OOC: [Kowledge- Arcana and Knowlege- History: Arc- 6 + Int 4 + roll 13 = 23; Hist- 6 + Int 4 + 19 + 29] to recognize who- or more accurately WHAT the guy is.

The drow looks at the man more closely, and spots something amiss. He turns to Virgil. "Are you sure this is the Astral Plane? Because I don't think that guy is native to the Astral. In fact, I'm thinking he'd be more at home on a Lower Plane!" He stares directly at the man in the snappy clothes, and signs to T'risstree behind his back <I think he's a Rakshasa. Stay alert, and don't trust ANYTHING he says!>

Aloud, he says with a slight smirk "Felix, is it? I knew a cat by that name once!" (OOC: Sorry, couldn't resist!! :p :devil: )
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

On seeing T'risstree wave to the remaining party members still waiting back in the entry hall to come up to where she was standing.

Talwyn followed Virgil along the corridor till he got to the open doorway and peered into the huge open room which had been set up as an impromtue boxing ring.

He saw Felix sitting casually on the plush armchair and noted the 3 silent and very unnaturally still figures of the boxer and the two men at arms.

He listened as the brief conversation was exchanged between Lothir, Virgil and the seated Felix. Felix's proposal of engaging in a boxing mtch appeared, on the surface, to be genuine but Talwyn didn't normally agree to fight for sport simply for mere money. Besides, there was something off about this character but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

He noticed out of the corner of his eye, Lothir moving his fingers bhind his back, using the silent drow language. Unfortunately Talwyn wan't familiar in that mode of communication and couldn't follow what the bard was saying to T'risstree but he intuited enough to know that Lothir felt that caution and guile were needed in dealing with Felix.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Virgil, readily suspecting the same as Lothir, even if the Drow sign language is not familiar to him, the backward hands, a telltale trait that rang out in Virgil's mind as a remarkable feature he'd only known to exist on one manner of being. Musing at the hands, his first thought, is at how surprised he is, that if his suspicion were true, that the creature should make such a foolish oversight in his transformation, and then, along that line of thought, makes a point of trying to fill his mind with random, useless thoughts, some of which hinted at lewd notions he believed might perturb Felix, if in fact he were a Rakshasa, and making any attempt at reading his mind. One such thought, dealing with Felix having intimate relations with wererats.

Still the Warlock allows among his forced thoughts, the simpler ones to come through such as, "Tell me, Felix-with-Backward-Hands" no subtlety there, "I am curious how is it you know that our two, well-armored companions are holy men, and not simply knights?"
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

T'risstree nodded as Virgil asked Felix his very probing question.

She didn't know much about Rakshasa, aside from that they were creatures of legend and to be treated as extremely, evil, dangerous and very devious.

It obviously could sense them and it knew that Talwyn and Veraka were Paladins even though it hadn't seen them.

It was playing the supremely confident antagonist which mean it believed it held the upper hand.

Time to give us an edge.

She closed her eyes and concentarted.

{Clerical spell - Prayer}
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[b:2l2dhyqa][color=green:2l2dhyqa]"Tell me, Felix-with-Backward-Hands, I am curious how is it you know that our two, well-armored companions are holy men, and not simply knights?" [/color:2l2dhyqa][/b:2l2dhyqa]

Felix blinked for a second then his smile grew larger, showing an incredible set of brilliant pearly white and sharp looking teeth.

He seemed to be growing larger within his seat but he wasn't moving.

[b:2l2dhyqa][color=red:2l2dhyqa]"Oh so you are clever ones! Bravo! I must say most of the morons that get sucked into this place don't spot the clues I leave out. If I was completely disguised there'd simply be no sport at all to any of this and spending eternity trapped in this accursed castle means you have to be creative in order to stop yourself going insane,"[/color:2l2dhyqa] [/b:2l2dhyqa]he giggled slightly with an odd manical growling titter while slowly clapping with his large strange hands.

[color=red:2l2dhyqa][b:2l2dhyqa]"I did mean what I said that my offer for a boxing match was indeed geniune but like almost all the other meatsacks that stumble in here, you just can't take things on face value and always have to question the veracity of the situation. Disapointing to say the least but its not unexpected. However the show must go on as they say in the classics. You will be the entertainment one way or another...." [/b:2l2dhyqa][/color:2l2dhyqa] he trailed off and not taking his eyes of the party, clicked his fingers and pointed at you all and in a gleeful voice said,

[color=red:2l2dhyqa][b:2l2dhyqa]"Kill Them!"[/size:2l2dhyqa][/b:2l2dhyqa][/color:2l2dhyqa]

The still figures suddenly spring to life and charge across the room while the doorway in the northern end of the corridor bursts open and out charge 4 cat like beings with sharp razor like claws and glowing red eyes.

Felix stands and casts a spell.

[OOC: we'll move the combat now to the Combat Thread - post your intentions and initiative there. We'll resume RP back here once the battle is over]