Founding a Facade

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

While Veraka was asking himself rhetorically what was going on, the small gnomish lady was furiously patting out the remaining smoldering embers that issued whisps of smoke from her long strawberry blonde hair and golden robes. Her pretty freakled covered cherubic face was wrinkled in concentration and mild pain.

"Ow ow ow ow ow ow," she cursed as she swatted at the last of the stinging burning fragments. She then looked around, realising that she and her companion, who was slowly getting to his feet with a painful groan, were not alone.

With an amazing turn of speed she darted across the few feet to stand close to the now kneeling paladin and cooly regarded the female Drow, the Asimar and the large winter wolf that stood nearby. Her azure blue eyes critically but briefly examined her companion. She dug her tiny elbow into his side with a dull bang and hissed at him in a low tone,

"Heads up shiney pants! We've got company!" She then flashed a brilliant yet calculating smile at Veraka and Pheurazath.

The paladin lifted the visor on his full faced helm and looked out at the people standing nearby. His sea green eyes lingered on the Drow for a moment and he raised an eyebrow when he regarded the Asimar. Slowly rising to his feet, he sheathed his glowing sword and spoke in a quiet tone while holding up his right hand in greetings.

"Hail & well met. I am Talwyn, knight captain of Torm and this is my friend and traveling companion Grofsnuttle the Magnificent, mage of might and power. If I may ask a small boon...where are we?"
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Pheurazath's initial shock, is stolen away by the new [i:3ghchz3n]rivvil[/i:3ghchz3n] in shining armor, and his absurd request. Nearly laughing her reply, as her arm lowers, she shoots back, mockingly, "You ask a boon, before offering compensation?! You are either a fool, blind, or both!" She waves her arm, gesturing over the expansive cavernous wilds stretching out on all sides, besides the nearby artificial city wall, "Look for yourself, and tell me, what other caves would you expect to find Drow in?"

On that note she adds a brief glare at this supposed 'Magnificent' mage, who is mighty and powerful, hinting at her doubts of all the above, as she did not mention where she teleported her and her companion to, and leaving Pheurazath to doubt, if the little gnome even knew the answer herself.

For the moment, the Aasimar is briefly forgotten, as she confronts what seems, a pair both convenient, and ridiculous, distracting from the inquisition that might have blown her cover.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Upon hearing Talwyn's introduction, Veraka sheathed his sword, came to a rigid stance, and brought his sword arm up to his helm in a crisp salute. Ingrained from years of training, his short military career had it's benefits, occasionally.

"Knight-Captain of Torm, you are within the Underdark, near the drow city of Lith My'athar," the aasimar said, lowering his salute, "Pleasure to meet you, Sir Talwyn and Lady Grofsnuttle." He gave a slight bow to the both of them, then took Talwyn's extended hand, and returned the greeting.

"Veraka Orden, champion of Lord of the Northern Wind, at your service," he released the knight's shake, and with a wave of his armored gauntlet, introduced the winter wolf; "and this is Aurora, winter wolf of the Northern Lands, and follower of Selune and the Dark Maiden."
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Grofsnuttles smile grew wider but her eyes were as cold as blue ice as she first listened to Pheurazath snappy terse retort then she beamed sweetly at Veraka after he spoke.

"Ahh yes ...hmmm...Lith My'athar....well I was on target but out by a few miles...downwards," she sighed momentarily, a frown crossing her small pretty face. She sighed and tossed a now blacked and slightly melted bronze device on the cavern floor.
Muttering to herself,
"looks like we're having to go home the old fashioned way..."

She then turned back to Pheurazath

"And by your arrogant, ignorant and greedy response I can see that there absolutely no doubt that we're in the Underdark. However, as you are probably not aware because of your previous and factuous statement which indicates utter imbecility, the Underdark is a big place and has many caverns, cities and such. Do I have to use small words or draw you a picture in crayon so you can answer the question? Lucky for you this rather charming fellow has more than just good looks to sted in his favour and thus we don't have to sit down for a few hours while you try to master the basics of writen words." She smiled sacarinely back at Pheurazath.

Talwyn harumphed and coughed politely, trying to conceal a smile as Grofsnuttle verbally assaulted the drow woman.

"Well met Veraka champion Lord of the Northern Wind. Please forgive our rather aburpt appearance but the horde of Orogs we'd ran into were proving a bit sporty. While I know we could have given a good account of ourselves, my companion felt that discrestion would be the better part of valour today," he added with a wry smile as he shook Veraka's hand.

"So Lith My'athar eh? Funny...I think I've heard that name somewhere before..." he trailed off as he tried to recall something about the city.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Another growl and face twisted in a snarl, the infuriating temptation to revert forms and wipe the smugness from the face of that gnome, in a single acidic breath. How fortunate like the race she pretends to be of, the short temper, and great ego is not uncommon. But then considering, the city so near, that she wishes to enter, continued displays of stereotypical behavior, simply won't make good impressions with the locals.

Jaw set, breathing measured, a sudden air of peaceful calm flows over her manner, "Lith My'athar, from what I have heard, was involved in a war, against a singular Matron Mother who had risen to considerable power, reportedly by employing the services of a bound Arch Devil. I know little of the specifics, only that many houses were greatly relieved when she was slain. As for me... Kalkyril Ilindl, a now houseless rogue."
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

OOC: though this part of history of the city isn't official, I'm throwing it in there cause I was in another RP set in the same city. If anyone feels that it shouldn't be added, just tell me and I'll edit it.

IC: Veraka looked at Kalkyril, then nodded his own agreement, "that, and there was a recent house high among the ranks that was eliminated a number of years ago; I was part of that battle myself. Nearly got killed by one of those blasted, hell-spawned tentacle demons, poly-morphed in the shape of drow, yochlol I believe their called; afterward, I and followers of the Dark Maiden made our way to the surface and from there on, went our ways."

The aasimar remembered that fateful day very well; had the Eilistraeens within the city not assisted him with his wounds, he surly would've died. Shaking his head clear of the thoughts, he put in, "well, now that we're all dandy and know each other, aside from our little indifference's, what now? As much as I'd love to sit around idly in the Underdark discussing the finer details of our own travels and reasons behind whatever we're doing, I believe that it'd be better spent doing somewhere else."
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

"You speak with wisdom Lord Veraka," said Grofsnuttle approvingly.
"As delightful as it is to stand around here in this charmingly dank and dangerous cavern shooting the breeze with witty reportae, perhaps we should indeed make our way over to yonder city and ask politely," she shoots a quick meaningful look at Kalkyril, "if we be allowed sanctuary within their walls. I need time to replenish my accompliment of spells as well as procure some ingridents and reagents as unfortunately, my bag of supplies was left on the other side of that portal," she ended with a rueful sigh.

"So this is the fabled city in which the champion who defeated a lord of the 8th circle found support from eh? I had been told of a small community that existed in the Underdark whose patron deity is Eilistraee by the sisters at Skullport but they never revealed to me its actual location. Though I am a trusted ally of the Dark Dancers followers, they believe that a secret is best kept when it is held by a few, a wise and very prudent course of action in these troubled times I think. Still, now that I am here, I would have words with high priestess of the city as no doubt she will wish to hear of news from Skullport and of her sisters on the surface," said Talwyn as he removed his helm, shouldered his pack and stood ready to walk towards the city.

He took out from under his breast plate a glowing holy symbol on a chain that rest over his chest. It was of a golden lion that represented Torm in one of his forms. It shone out with a soft radiance that stretched out in a ten foot globe and those looking at it felt a sense of peace and protection.

With a small polite bow to Kalkyril,

"Milady, since these are your people, perhaps it might be best if you lead us to the city gates and annouce our peaceful arrival."

veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

"Mmm" Veraka nodded his agreement; "I agree with Talwyn. Though I've been to this city before, and know it well enough, but again, that was years ago. So I do believe that our best bet would be for you to guide us in," he said, looking toward to Kalkyril.

Then hearing the words of the knight-captian, the aasimar turned towards him, removed his platinum-dragon scale helm, and with stern face, said, "Knight-Captain, a word of caution around here. When last I was here, the battle that I was in was staged by a Lolth worshiping house, the matron of which had a sect of assassins at her beck and call, so be wary when asking around here for a high priestess of the Dark Maiden, though I think I'll be able to assist you in this venture, should you require it." With that the aasimar, strapped his helmet onto his belt, and brought out a cloak, which he used to cover his platinum dragon armor; "also, subtlety and discretion will aid you here, trust me."

Checking his tantos and throwing knives, the aasimar went over to Aurora, fastened a few things over her shoulders, and looked to the priestess and nodded, confirming his readiness for departure.
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

(OOC: hope it is Ok to join in :angel: )

T'risstree sighed regretfully and tossed away the scroll she'd been trying to decypher with no luck. She sat back and looked out of the window over the small city she'd called home these past few months. She felt a pang momentarily for the warmth of the sunlight on her face and to feel the fresh breeze dancing around her. Still, duty to the goddess was paramount and she had her orders from the highest source at Skullport.

She regreted not being able to say goodbye to her lover before she left and felt that the note she had hastily scribbled was not explaination enough.

"[i:24gk5wve]He'd understand[/i:24gk5wve]," she thought to herself again hopefully.

Since arriving in Lith My'athar, she'd been quietly cataloguing the city rolls of its populace. Using her special skills, she had carefully worked her way in and out of the various houses and merchant groups in order to see if any Spiderkissers were still lurking amongst the people.

As always, Lloths lackies had wormed their way into the city despite the best efforts of the priestesses here. Like with all infestations of spiders, you have to get a broom and regular brush away any cobwebs and nests that inevitably appear even though you fireballed the nest only months ago.

The city was awash with the soft hued glowing faerie lights that shone out in the gloom and she could hear vendors below her window in the small market square crying out their wares for sale.

With a toss of her long silvery blonde hair she stood up, stretched and went downstairs.

"I feel hungry," she thought. "I hope that Rheldoran has managed to get some fresh greens from the surface this time," she mused as she drew her silken cloak around herself and left her small apartment in the city's main temple.

The smells of the city assailed her senses as she stepped out into the open. Sizzling spiced rothe meat on small sticks BBQ'd over small braziers of coals and set her mouth watering as she walked past the male drow who carefully turned each skewer, cooking the meat to perfection.

No...salad was what she really craved right now and maybe some fruit too.
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Continually growing uncomfortable with being called a priestess, certainly with so many people around her that clearly know too much for her to carry on the charade if put to the test, decides to sharply correct, "Priestess no more! Or is the short term memory of a blood fly common in Aasimar? I am fallen from favor, as we've already discussed. Kalkyril will suffice for now."

A hand strokes back through the lush silky mane of her white hair, and she turns, ignoring the pointed looks she receives from the gnome, easily dismissing the ire by imagining how many ways the gnome could be prepared as a meal. Meanwhile, confronting the gates, she calls up, "Vin'ult! Usstan, Kalkril, d'l'chi qu'ellar d'Ilindl, lu'nindolen colnbluth joros whol nec'perya wund dosst che'el."

A doubtful glance goes back to her 'companions', "I have heard a little about these Drow, I suspect my presence will make them uneasy, be prepared to surrender your weapons, as a show of good faith.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Talwyn looked askance at the female drow as she vented her frustration. He was reasonably familiar with their often tempestous nature and it appeared that this one was most definately on edge. He looked down at Grofsnuttle who had folded her arms and set her lips in a thin line of disaproval. He could tell the gnome would like nothing more than to cast some wicked illustion or spell which would be at the female drows expense. With a tiny shake of his head, he indicated that would probably not be a good idea for now to which Grofsnuttle merely sniffed and looked away towards the city gates.

"Ahem," clearing his throat he spoke up to get the testy drows attention,"Surrendering weapons in accordance with local laws is no problem for me and I am happy to oblige if it will allow us entry into the city. The gate guards will see that at lest myself, Lord Veraka and Grofsnuttle are no real threat once they have checked our bona fides and I believe that Lord Veraka will be recognized as he has spent time in the city previously. Plus they will see me for who I am, a servant of the True god and thus an ally rather than enemy."

He loosened the various knots and straps that held the number of weapons on his body and stood ready to hand them over.

veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

At Kalkyril's angry outburst and insult at him, Veraka merely shrugged his shoulders, and let it slide. Though he'd never truly known any drow more than as a friend, he'd been around enough of them to know that this kind of reaction was reasonable, hell, he'd nearly been killed by two or three in his past.

"One can only hope so, Knight-Captain. I do, however, know that last time I passed through these gates, I had to pretend to be a corpse among a bunch of dire corbies that I'd killed in this same cavern. All I can say from that experience is I hopped that the guards have changed. But, all the same, I will surrender my arsenal upon request." he withdrew his weapons and undid his bandoleer of throwing knives. His face though, was strewn with remorse as he remembered that fateful battle, one that nearly cost him his life, within scrapes of death itself.

"Hard to believe that it's been nearly this long. . ." shaking his to clear the thoughts, he scanned the gate guards with his celestial vision, seeing their faint auras; "well, I'm not detecting anything sinister about the guards. Hopefully, their at least not under the reign of anything like the spider queen, or any lolthians. That is, unless, you can detect something that I didn't make out, Knight-captain."
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

T'risstree made her way across the bussling market towards Rheldorans little restaurant. It was a small shop, cut into the base of one of the towering colums that stretched up towards the roof of the cavern and which a major house had made its home in on the upper teirs of the massive collumn.

She liked coming here to eat as Rheldoran specialized in serving rare surface foods such as fruits and vegetables that were only found in the sunlight surface realms. Rheldoran was an intriguing character. An older male warrior mage who had retired from adventuring because of injuries sustained and also he grew tired of having to constantly defend himself against ignorant surfacers and hostile drow who saw him as just another male drow and therefore a threat. He instead choose to settle in this small out of the way city that was reletively free of Lloths insane worshippers and became a merchant and food seller. His son, Haemmeriss, was now the one who handled the dangerous but profitable job of bringing goods down from the surface which allowed Rheldoran time to indulge in his true passion which was food. It was easy too see how much he liked his meals as he was rather rotund for a male drow with a large beer belly jutting out underneath his black cooking apron.

"Vendui Rheldoran, lu'oh ph'dos yallt?" called out T'risstree with a warm smile as she approached the doorway to the small eatery.

"Lu'vendui ulu dos jabbress. Usstan tlun al lu'dos lor nug'ri," he replied with a jovial smile as he waved her inside. A well dressed goblin darted forward and pulled out a chair for T'ristree to sit on. She sat down and sniffed the air and smiled. The smell of a bubbling stew and roasting meats and other delights filled the air but what caught her eye were the piles of fresh greens and fruit that lay artfully arranged on the counter in front of the kitchen

"So then mistress T'risstree, what can I get for you this day? We've got fresh fish wrapped in vine leaves and stuffed with herbs, nuts and lemon rind. Or perhaps a slow roasted cut of Roathe sauted with a red wine jus with baked potatos and fried mushrooms?" he asked as T'risstree studied the blackboard menu above the counter.

"Mmm..those sound delightful but I'm hungry for that spicey chicken salad you can make and since I can see you have lots of fresh greens on your counter, I can assume that Haemmeriss has only just recent come home with another caravan."

"Indeed mistress. My son has outdone himself this time around. Our surface contacts have been most forthcoming in selling him their produce in exchange for rare Underdark minerals and goods. He's even perfected a spell which uses cold in order to keep the produce fresh much longer than it would normally last," he said with a hint of pride at his sons ingenuity. "He asked that I pass on his regards to you as well and inquired if you might be free of an evening to join him for some wine?"

T'risstree smiled softly at the older male not so subtle attempt to pair his son off with her.

"Hmm...maybe...we shall see. Let me eat first and then I'll think on it," she replied with a wink. He nodded affably and went back into the kitchen where a number of drow and a few goblins were busy at work. She could hear him call out her order and watched for a minute as he waited for his chefs to bring the igridiants for her meal which he'd prepare himself.

T'risstree sat back and looked about the small restaurant and at the few people who sat quietly eat and talking in the dark recessed booths that lined the back walls of the dinning area. The place could fit about roughly 40 people. The genuis of Rheldorans place was that it was carefully enspelled and designed so that customers could not overhear what was being said from another table. Thus Rheldorans was an excellent place to do business quietly and as well, observe those who might be plotting or scheming.

A goblin scurried over and brought her chilled glass of white wine, freshly baked bread rolls and butter from the surface. She sipped the cold refreshing wine, lathered a generous amount of bright creamy yellow butter onto a roll and tore into the crusty bread with relish. She tok another sip of the wine and sat back again in the comfortable armchair. The wine brought back pleasant memories of her recent time on the surface. Rheldoran knew this wine was a favourite of hers and made sure that there was always a case in stock.

Soon one of the goblin waiters came out carrying a large bowl full of shredded chicken, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, sprouts, ginger, chillies, herbs , onions and liberally dressed in a special tangy salty sweet sauce of Rheldorans on making. She fell on the crisp delicious salad with relish, savouring the salty sweet tang of the salad dressing, the sharp crispness of the fresh vegetables, the silky texture of slowly poached chicken and firey burn of the red chillie peppers. This was a dish she'd grown to love as it was one of the meals her former lover had introduced her to while she was on the surface.

[OOC: wooo :eek: long post :p - hurry up in get in the city ;) ]
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

((alright, moving on. . .))
Veraka noted one of the aura's that he'd seen was more of the good variety, so he decided to do something a little on the brash side; sheathing his weapons, he said to Kalkyril, "though you're presence might disturb them somewhat, if I may, I believe one of the guards might have knowledge of me, and if my guess is correct, I might know them."

After saying that, the aasimar looked up to the gates and called out and up, "be any of you who goes by the name Zhay?" After a couple of seconds, a drow male, who looked about the age of Veraka, levitated down, though, he wasn't your typical drow in size. An impressively tall adolescent, the drow was only about 4 inches shorter than Veraka. On his back was a sheathed greatsword.
Almost at once the massive male encircled the aasimar in massive bear hug, to which Veraka returned. He came upon some curious glances from his fellow compaions; "sorry guys; this here is Zhay, a student of mine, if you will, back when I was here in the city years earlier. A very adept learner at that too, but enough about semantics of old friendships. Zhay, we've come to the city and do require a little assistance, can you help us?"

"Sut'rinos, nindol ghil zhah abbil usst lu'l'che'el. Xal nind sultha?" he called up to his commander.
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

{{OOC: I hope you won't mind another person joining in. 8)}}

The drow's hand slammed down onto the table, fingers spread out across three different pages in front of her. Her eyes narrowed as the much older drow sitting down finally looked up, peering at her through thick spectacles. Glasses were not common where she was from; blindness was a weakness that the Underdark would not tolerate.

"I want to know where he went. Now." She bent down, her head three inches from his, making sure he heard every word.

"Such impatience is not befitting a priestess of Eili-" Her other hand slammed down beside the first one, "No questions were to be asked. You promised me you'd find him for more than you're worth, and I gave you double that. Where. Is. He?"

Three years after converting to the worship of Eilistraee, and Maryne still had not been able to control her anger. At times, she wished she'd had that snake whip on her hip. At times. Like now. Some kid had taken to the streets with her most prized possession, and she was not about to let him pass. After all, it couldn't be [i:3mcxviu1]that[/i:3mcxviu1] hard to find a human child in a drow city, now could it?

And yet here she was, a week after, in some shop - she was sure the owner's name started with an R - waiting for something she could have found in a day. If only she had the time. Holding back a snarl when she realized that the old man was still making excuses, she sat down and raised her hand for a nice stiff drink. Gods, could this week be any worse?
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.