On the Shores of Despair

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

On the Shores of Despair

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

((any welcome to join and add to the story. the main plot idea to to figure out the problem. open otherwise. even antagonist welcome to stop the protaganist.))

Something stirs beneath Tearlap Lake. A lake located in the midst of a darkened forest in the northern-lands. Its once-peaceful shores are no longer safe. Lights glimmer in the deep, and when those lights rise, people die. Bones now litter the shore. the Clearing reeks of death and decay.
Some say they have seen a golden palace glittering in the water, but none now dare approach the lake.

Word spreads through the forest villages and hamlets from the town of Bitterleaf. A call to heroes and adventurers is posted on the town bulletin board; promise of great reward lead many to their deaths. Rumors spread of dark evil monsters lurking in the forest. The Southeastern winds bring bitter cold. The winter has halted many travelers, as the first snow hits. The body count continues to grow.

Bitterleaf, a small forest town, if it could be called a town at all, is a quaint place and utopia for nature lovers. Two decades ago, an elven ranger set out to establish a home for herself. There was built a tree house in a small cluster of trees in a clearing of the forest Firryl or Darkwood in the common tongue. As time passed, many people of several races established homes in the clearing. Numerous huts and sod buildings housed the populace. At the base of Gaelinar Kennyreplith's tree house stood an open (Stonehenge type) temple of The Three where Pyoro was caretaker and the town cleric.

sign reads:
[center:2adcsoai]-Needed-
adventurer to travel to Tearlap lake, discover cause of problems.
See Town Priest

-Reward-
5000 gp. .[/center:2adcsoai]
Last edited by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Adian rode into Bitterleaf as part of a retinue of guards for the last caravan of the season. His contract ended here, unfortunately. The merchant didn't have the coin to be able to pay or feed him, and since this was as far north the caravan went, the young drow had to part company with them anyway. He was being gradually called north for no reasons known to himself. The Dark Maiden had a reason for him to go north, and so here he was.

He led his horse towards the tiny traveler's inn only to veer aside at the sight of the sign. The uneasiness he had sensed as he had come into town made a kind of sense now. Five thousand pieces of gold was almost certain to be an incalculable fortune to this town...they had to be desperate about this..."Tearlap Lake."

He did not care so much for money beyond what could be done with it. It was more important to him to set an example...to show the world that the drow were capable of things like honor and compassion. He also took the creed of the Dark Maiden very seriously:

"Aid the weak, strong, grateful, and churlish alike. Be always kind, save in battle with evil."

He approached the open-air temple, his hood up and the cloth over his eyes to protect them from the sun.
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Pyoro was a tall for an elf, dressed in a high-collared sleeveless tan silk tunic embroidered with the symbol of The Three and calf-length green twill trousers. A hooded night-black woolen highwayman's cloak made him look older than he really was. His hair was copper and decorated with beads. His dark golden skin reflected the evening sunlight.
Pyoro sat cross-legged in the midst of the standing stone, deep in trance. Without opening his eyes, "welcome my dark elven cousins."

A half mile from the town, Zarae walked through the snow and trees, her hood down and enjoying the cold winter air as it blew thru her red-streaked silver hair. She loved the winter, especially after discovering snow. Her piwafwi kept off the bitter wind and her clothing dry.
As she continued to trudged thru the snow, she thought back on the message she was sent. She had been a recent convert to Eilistraee, so it was a surprise that she received a message to head twords a village in the middle of Firryl. Wouldn't Eilistraee have sent more experience clerics? Her biggest concern was how they would treat a dark elven cousin; this town consisted of a large number of surface elves with a high probability of them hating drows.
Zarae neared the village and pulled the crimson hood on. She nodded to the two guards who had been use to strange visitors the last year. Their polearms stood by ready for anything. She walked through the town and twords the Inn. If any knew of where she could get a horse, innkeepers usually did. She approached as she saw another cloaked figure with a horse walk twords the magnificent tree and temple. Turning back she saw the large sign.
Lifting her eyes upward, 'So i assume this is why? Works for me.'
She turned around to head twords the village center as the cloaked figure entered the temple. Her silent footfalls kept them from turning around.
Zarae paused when she him speak.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Adian raised an eyebrow. This was a far friendlier greeting than he usually got, especially at an elven shrine. He nodded at the female who entered with him and bowed politely to the priest.

"I am Adian Novar," he said. "And I am honored to meet you. I beg you to forgive my appearance for I have only just arrived. I am given to understand that your home is having a problem with 'Tearlap Lake.' In the name of the Dark Maiden, I wish to offer my help."

Adian was still wearing his finely woven chain mail, his helmet and shield still hanging from his saddle. Over it he wore a simple dark blue tunic followed by the hooded, black cloak. In addition to the cloth over his eyes, he wore a bright white headbands that disappeared into his shoulder-length silvery hair.

He was of average height for a male of his kind, only just above five feet though of stockier build than some. His weapon, a bastard sword, looked too large for him on his back. His face was boyish, with fine features and smooth skin that made him look younger than he was...only scarcely entering early adulthood.
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Pyoro stood up wand walked over to Adian. He motioned for Zarae to join them. "Ah yes, the one you call Mystra is allies with your own goddess. I received word to look for some of such reputations. But outside this temple, I would be careful among the people. Few will be so welcoming or trusting. I am Pyoro, town priest. As long as neither of you cause problems you are welcome."

Zarae walked closer, still cautious of the sun elf and fellow drow when she heard him say he was a follower of the Dark Maiden. This must of have been where Eilistraee wanted her after all. She was taller than him, but he was likely older despite youthful appearance. She herself was considered a child by the standards of her race. And a good look at her would have made that obvious had she had her hood down.
"Vendui," she spoke to both. "the tongue of rivvin is not too good."
She was about to activate her house emblem so she could speak clearer, but Pyoro continued.

Pyoro nodded to her hello and then continued in elven assuming they both spoke it, "As for this mission, Gaelinar and I need people to investigate the lake. There is someone or something there causing problems. Every party we have sent has yet to return and I cant keep sending these people here. Most of them are simple woodmen and farmers, no experience in this. And with this snow, few will be this way until spring. I am willing to provide basic supplies and horses if you are willing to undertake this."
He looked at both of them, "I can guess you didnt come together, but you mission will have a better chance of success should you two decide to work together."

Zarae looked up to see a new batch of snow begin to fall. She stuck out her hand to catch the new snow, showing the sleeve of her midnight blue spidersilk shirt. A smile of amusement appeared on her shaded face and her piercing maroon eyes faded to a dark teal.
Shrugging she waited for Adian's response; she was up for any adventure.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Adian glanced again at the female, noting the spider silk. Obviously someone of some sort of rank.

"Vendui, my lady. I am accustomed to working in groups," he said. "If you will allow me to assist you." He bowed, automatically deferring to her. "If I may ask, I find it likely that we will need winter clothing, food, and supplies of firewood. The trees are likely to be too wet to be of use to us. A map of the area would also be of great assistance.

"I would also ask of the history," he added. "Anything that might lend a clue about what might be out there."
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Zarae nodded, "sure, I love a good adventure. And logically two would succeed better than one. I'm Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar, tho I go by Zarae."

Pyoro waited, then responded to Adian's questions, "Yes, I believe my daughter will be able to assist you in supplies. She owns what most would all a 'general store.' You will need warm boots most importantly. frost bite is the most dangerous when dealing with this wilderness. As for warmth and fires, I have something special for that, see me before you leave. I suggest you rest the night here and take off in the morning."

Zarae interpreted Pyoro, "My eyes are accustomed to sunlight. But would morning work for you? or do you prefer night travel?" she asked Adian. Unfortuntly, her light adaptation was due to Lloth's work. She then remembered the prophesy- always be hunted and death would follow. Even if she had forsaken her, Lloth's grasp was always there.
'Would it be safe for him to travel with me? Am I goin to be the cause of another innocent's death?' she wondered. Zarae had already lost her first real friend. She had to remind herself that Eilistraee called her here and she had a reason.

Pyoro motioned for the two to follow him as he headed for a large hut near the inn, "For now, you both should keep your cloaks hoods on. At least until you get inside. She has living quarters suitable for you and makes a delicious venison stew. Come along now, it is getting late. History and stories are best told over dinner."
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

"I would prefer the night, lady Zarae," Adian said, leading his horse after the priest. "Unless the cold becomes too severe. The snow during the day is...annoying."

More like blinding, really. He'd found himself needing two eyecloths the last time he'd been in a cold clime.

"I hope you will be patient with me," he said. "I have not been on the surface long and there are many things I do not know. Fortunately I had some good teachers."
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

The snow begin to fall heavier. Zarae followed the elf and Adian, her hood and cowl pulled low to hide her obsidian skin. She was tempted to play in the snow, but their was pressing business. Whispering over to Adian, "I personally prefer night travel also. It provides better stealth and cover. How long have you been up here? I have been on the surface about five sun and moon cycles. Five days I think its called."
She thought on the events that brung her to the surface world. All this was a relatively new experience for her. Zarae had read numerous books about the surface realms, but nothing compared to the actual thing. She turned to pet the horse, "magnificent beast. horse? from the looks of it based on drawing from the tomes, tho I havent seen any before."

Pyoro lead them to a medium sized hut, well constructed and up kept.
"Here we are. The front is the store and her personal home in back."
He turned and opened the door, "Kyahel, Siavara, you have guest."
A (teen-aged) half-elven boy of golden hair and emerald eyes walked out, dressed in a simple leather tunic and breeches.
The priest turning to Adian, "Siavara will take your horse, feed and shoe it. Your horse will be ready by midnight the earliest. Zarae, you may borrow a horse for the journey."
"Prepare Moonlight in stall three also," he told his grandson.
Siavara nodded, suspicious of the two. He was short despite his half-elven decent but well muscled from his work with the horses. He reached over to take the reigns from Adian.
Pyoro then entered the building and walked over to his daughter.

Zarae's keen eyes picked up the conversation and she saw the glare in her eye as her father explained the situation; she was not too happy about having drows under her roof. Kyahel stomped back to her living quarters to start a pot a stew.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

((Trying out one of my other characters, see what you think of her))

From the outskirts of the village, there was a sudden loud commotion. A girl with pale grey skin like polished stone and garbed in a simple loose white cotton robe had been spotted approaching the village and was carrying one of their trainee rangers who had been missing for some time. He hadn't been headed out near the lake but the worst had been feared, however she had now brought him back to his home, unharmed but exhausted. They story spread fast that she had actually found him dead and brought him back, having come this way to give her aid for the village and recognised him as one of theirs. Seeing him settled back where be belonged, she waved away offers of reward and left the boy to greet his family.

Upon reaching the houses her skin had no longer been the pale grey it had been as she came to the village, that being no more than a simple ruse to allow her to come closer without being attacked. Her skin, and indeed her entire body, was now crystal-clear with a slightly blue tint like finely-made glassware. Her hair too, and even her eyes were without any other colour, making her look a little like a golem of some kind. She introduced herself as Pwdn, one of Ilmater's children, and expressed her wish to provide her help to the community but found that the one she needed to talk to, a Sun Elf named Pyoro, had moved along only very recently to the nearby resting house. She was also referred to the general store, but moved without hurry since she had no money at all with her. Still, she had only her light robes and a strip of red ribbon tied about her wrist, and had felt the bite of the cold on her way here despite her normal resilience to environmental effects. She would need a heavier set of garb for this journey, and though she shunned the acquisition of personal possessions it was a matter of necessity that she found warmer clothes. This however turned out to be unnecessary, as upon arriving there she was assured that payment was not necessary, the aid she had already given in returning one lost to them and the aid she was going to give were more than enough reason to allow her the simple supplies she would need. A fur-lined coat with a cowl to keep out the cold, boots of the same and a blanket for camping. She nonetheless promised to return all three if or when she succeeded, she wouldn't need them once she left.

Pwdn had drawn a few strange looks as she strode gently over the snow, barefoot and lightly clothed with her skin glistening in the reflected sunlight, but most were simply content to leave her be and watch.

((How's that? ^^ ))
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

"She's a fine mare," Adian said, giving her one last neck rub before the boy took her away. "A little stubborn, but plenty of courage."

[i:25beb6kf]"I may want to examine my stew rather thoroughly before I eat it,"[/i:25beb6kf] he commented in the Silent Tongue, the quickness in his fingers having a decidedly wry twist to them. This was much closer to the sort opf reception he'd come to expect from his surface kin.

"I appriciate the hospitality," Adian said aloud, not sitting until Zarae did, but enjoying the warmth of the house.
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

((sounds good to me! just so im sure, u havent entered the store, right?))

Zarae watched as Siavara took the horse off to the stable.
"A beautiful horse."
She entered the house when Pyoro called them into the the back building.
Zarae signed back to Adian,[i:2awo5qg9] I can cast detect poison if you think that will work[/i:2awo5qg9].
They entered Kyahel's home. It was sparsely furnished with a small round table and chairs near a blazing fireplace. The pot of stew was steaming and filling the room with the scent of meat. a curtain served as a door to the bedrooms.
"come and sit. dinner is cooking. You will have to excuse my daughter. My Kyahel is not use to our dark cousins and has only heard rumors of the Dark Maiden's existence."
Zarae sat in the hand carved chair as Adian joined.
"you said you would tell us more of our mission," Zarae spoke up.
"all in good time I can assure you. but first," looking to Adian then to Zarae, "tell me, where do you hail from? And how did you come to this far north town?"

Outside, as a grumbling Siavara walked the mare, he saw an unusual female in clothing not suitable for the weather. many people were watching her, staring confused.
"Can I help you ma'am? Your not from these parts I can see."
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

[i:35cfbqmq]I was exaggerating,[/i:35cfbqmq] Adian signed. [i:35cfbqmq]I doubt she really would poison us, and to suggest so would insult our host.[/i:35cfbqmq]

"It is quite all right," Adian said aloud to thjeir host. "Few have heard of her, so suspicion is natural. It is part of our creed to try to change that.

"Originally I hail from the Promenade in Undermountain," Adian explained. "This is only my second Run, but somehow the Dark Maiden has led me quite far from my home. Perhaps I can fulfill my Run here, though obviously that is not our purpose at the moment.

"I came here contracted as a guard for a merchant," he said. "But that is ended now. I might have continued north had I not learned of your troubles here, though I do not know its nature."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

OOC: all of his abilities are fom the book of exaled deeds, vow of poverty

Zazzt looked at the sky. His grey eyes seemed unfocused, but in truth, they saw everything (true seeing). He wore simple clothes, a par of pants that showed as much leg as cloth, an equaly threadbare shirt, and a large cloak, that seemed to be a rag, thrown over his shoulders. On his feet were simple sandals, and his dark skinned toes were crunching merrily through the snow. Despite this obviously simple attire, which could not protect him from the cold, Zazzt walked with a brisk pace, unnaffected by winter's bite. Over his shoulder was slung a large sack, which contained an extra set of clothes, and a few cooking utensils, and a bedroll. In his other hand, the strange drow held an iron steel bound staff. He knew not where he was going, a simple traveler, wandering the world n search of other people, and perfecting his strange style. He fought in the style of the monks, but through a century of traning, was able to work magical spells into his martial art. He. Walked over the top of a small hill, and saw a small village. Glancg at the darkening sky, he decided that pehaps it would be best if he were to spend the night in the town. And so, he stepped off the road, and trudged through the snow to the gates of the village. At the gates, he saw the sign, and turned his gaze to the largest building he could find, assuming it to be the temple. He walked to the doors, and called inside, "Hail, master of this temple, I have read thy notice. Are you still in need of the help?"
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Adian seemed to freeze when he heard that voice.

"I don't believe it," he said. "No way."