The Vale of Shadow

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

The Vale of Shadow

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

Legend tells of the Vale of Shadows, a lush valley hidden in the mountains that holds a sacred pool with the power to make dreams reality. The Vale is considered a myth, a story that has been passed down through the generations. Over time the stories for the most part were forgotten.

Mayindia was one of the oldest drow in Minauthkeep, Cormanthor, The House of Jaelre. She had claimed to have seen it with her own eyes. Unfortunately, she was considered delirious and demented by House Jaelre. Despite her condition she was still a powerful sorceress, with spells that could rival most any arcane spellcaster. Thus, she was feared.

Inrii spent the morning before her next lesson, meditating in the shadows of her room. She and Raya shared an extension of Jezz's dwelling. A hard knock awoke her from her trance.
"I'm up!" Inrii called.
She disliked her sister as much as she hated Inrii. Even tho both had been taken in, Jezz obviously favored her. Even if all the males lusted over Raya and the females grudging of her beauty and shape, Raya still held contempt for Inrii. part of it steamed that she was forced to be a surrogate mother, and the other part because of Inrii's power. Inrii was a simple rugged type beauty who acted more like the guys and cared little for her looks. Yet everyone fancied Inrii over Raya. It got worse when it was discovered that Inrii was a sorceress with abilities she could never amass.
'one day' Raya thought.
Inrii got dressed in her usual black garb of those of the Masked Lord. She tucked her half mask into her pouch. She hated it but kept it around just in case. Zarstra, her lizard familiar, yawned and climbed onto Inrii shoulders.

"Get out of here. Your already in enough trouble," Raya snarled as Inrii grabbed a biscuit on her way out.
She approached Mayindia's hut and entered. the place was a mess, like someone ransacked it.
"Mayi, I'm here for my lesson. Mayi? whats going on?" Inrii called as her hand went to her hidden dagger.
A crazed laugh startled her. Mayindia ran to Inri, snatched her hand and place a rolled up scroll into it.
"take this child! follow the map. but tell no one."
"wha...? whats going on?"
"theres no time. you must hurry. They're coming!"
with that, Mayindia vanished. Inrii rushed to the spring and opened the scroll. it was a map to Vale of Shadow. She looked back to the hunt and wondered what was so urgent about this mission. Hurrying back to her room quietly, Inrii gathered her travel gear. She wrapped her piwafwi tight around her and snuck out the southern gate. Inrii headed twords the mountains, carefully following the map the drow had given her.
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Zazzt stood up, yawning, he still hadn't gotten used to the surface light, his drow eyes complaining about the light of sunrise. He had been heading towards some mountains, in search of some sort of shadowy vale, or something of the type. His master had sent him there as a last test of his prowess. Under his master's watchful gaze, he had learned magic, and now, Zazzt believed that his time of apprenticeship had ended, even though he had no delusions about the power gap between himself and his master. His advantage lay, he believed, in the fact that he had created his own fighting style, one that mixed magical abilities with the style of the monks. He stood up, and stretched his body to awaken his muscles, and then, in the blink of an eye, he jumped into the air, a good 3 feet off the ground, and snapped out three quick kicks, landing lightly on the balls of one foot, and dropping lower, sweeping his leg out and in the same motion springing into the air doing a somersault, landed on his hands, and standing on one hand, started doing push-ups.
After he finished his morning work out, he waved his hand over the campsite, and the bedroll flew up into the air, folded itself, and landed in Zazzt's simple pack, which was already on its way to Zazzt's waiting hand. He tossed it over a shoulder, and picking up his quarterstaff, began walking along the road. His pace was slow, he had no need to hurry, his master did not sound particularly rushed in his request, and besides, the day was beautiful. His gray eyes, virtually unseen among drow, scanned the surrounding area, but it seemed to be deserted, so Zazzt sat down by the side of the road, and closed his eyes, falling into a meditative state, levitating a little off of the ground. How long he was like that, he had no way of knowing, but he heard the slight scuff of foot on and ground, and that was enough to snap him back to reality. He opened an eye, and saw a female drow, piwafi wrapped around her dark garb, hurrying along the road, so he called out to her, "Hail lady, what be thy rush?"
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((OOC: since u called me lady, I assumed ur Eilistraeen or good. my response will be different if ur part of the group from house jaelre; i would recognize u...so ill fix if need be))

Inrii had been thinking much of the morning events as she traveled the Cormanthor forest. She also had been keeping an eye out for any strangeness. The conversation played in her head over and over.
"whaddya think Zarstra?"
Her lizard just shrugged, as much as a lizard could. Then suddenly they both became aware of another humanoid presense. Inrii's hand went to her hidden dagger and continued on as if she didnt notice. Zarstra kept an eye out behind her. Ahead along the road she saw the drow's acrobats as he 'fell' to the ground.
When he called to her she slowed and cautiously walked twords him, hand still on her hidden dagger. She did not recognize the male. He didnt appear to be from back home. She had made sure no one followed her.
"Vendui. It normally not such a smart idea to give your position away. These forest are watched and guarded closely. My buisness must remain mine. But I must ask what brings one such as yourself into House Jaelre's territory?"
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

OOC: Eh, not particularly, CN, it's just a sign of courtesy.

IC: "Fair enough, thy business is thine." Zazzt shrugged, his grey eyes lingered for moments on her hidden hand, almost as if he could see her dagger, and smiled, "What need is there for hiding my presance, if I am part of the all? I leave sneaking to the thieves and assassins. I mean thee no harm, and even if I wished thee ill, I would challenge thee openly." He looked over his shoulder at the distant mountains of Cormanthor, "House Jaerly? Tis not one I am farmiliar with, my master told me to hide my presance, but I assumed twas to protect myself from hidden beasts, rather than my kinsmen. As for my business... My master sent me into this region to search for some vale or another, tis said to be hellish place, everything shrouded in shadow, with a terrible pool, that can impart divinity onthose who drink from it. Know thee of such a place?"
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((ok...just making sure.))

"My house is not one you want to take lightly. The patrol doesnt normally come this far unless there is good reason. You talk of the Vale of Shadows, it is only myth, a story used by the elders to entertain us 'drowlings'. I suppose you are hoping the pool exist, even it the place is myth? and I don't reckon you know the exact location of this mythical place?"
Inrii though for a second. Her hand relaxing on her dagger, but reflexes ready should he prove treacherous. Zarstra watched, her keen eyes looking for any sign of trouble.
"I'm Inriiaynrae Jaelre, Inrii for short. This is Zarstra. I am very familiar with these woods and can show you a quicker route to the mountains off the main road. One only we know of. Besides, your quest has sparked my interest as well. I am needing to get away from 'Uncle Jezz' and my sister for sometime. Tho' they wouldn't understand the need to adventure."
She smiled mischievously, listening to his response, and watching his reaction motioning to see if he would follow her or not. If he knew of the place, then it might not have been a coincidence. Had Vhaeraun sent him also? She needed to keep an eye out on him; and what better way than to have him go along.
Plus her shortcut would cut off many days of travel.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt bowed, "Very well, call it what thou will. I suppose traveling with another person is always easier than alone." He clasped his hands in front of him, and started following Inrii. "Perhaps, but I have made a few enemies of my own, that are 'not to be taken lightly' however, I am still here. Most of that achievement belongs to my master, a great mage, Nathree, perhaps you have heard of him?" As he walked, his outline shimmered, as his wards adjusted to accommodate a spell that made him impervious to all steel weapons. His hands didn't move, only his fingers twitched slightly. "So Inrii, if I may, if this Vale is nothing more than a myth, what is thine interest in it?" He chuckled, "But if you seek protection from this uncle and sister of thine perhaps I could help thee I have a small repertoire of spells that can cloak from scrying spells," He smiled, "However, if they send dogs after thee, only thy skills with a blade will preserve thee."

Zyeke
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Inrii found the spot and led Zazzt down the unseen path twords a small cave.
"I'm not running away. I'm bored. Who wants to spend all day studying when one can adventure. Spending all the time in a hall learning things that could come naturally is so dull. But i guess thats why wizards are stuffy old grumps," she laughed winking at him. She rubbed Zarstra chin as she climbed into Inrii's familier pocket.
"I'm afraid he doesnt sound familier. Most the spell casters back at the fort are nightshadows. only a handful of wizards leave their comforts of power in our ancestral cities. tho if more joined him, Uncle Jezz would have already found that powerful artifact he's spent his whole life searching. "
Inrii's true seeing allowed her to see the magical aura of protection.
'He's not too trusting of me neither. Irony' she thought as they neared the cave.
"This 'portal' leads to the the end of the forest, normally a four day travel. I hope you carry no extra demensional belongings. They tend to explode upon entering," she smirked, "funny tho!"
Inrii suddenly paused. Her keen ears heard a familiar sound whistle through the trees twords the cave. Then came the clatter of claws clicking through the underbrush. With her spell she saw a plated gnoll carrying a double ended spear shouting orders to the back of the cave. She signed the info to Zazzt.
"I told Vorndrin it was stupid to cut patrol here," she whispered to herself.
She cast (greater) invisibility on herself and drew her sword.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

"No, I hold no magical items on my person at the moment. Or ever, to be honest with thee," He signed back, "Must you always sneak?" He dropped his pack to the ground, and picked up his quarterstaff, and stepped out, in plain view of the gnoll. "Well met good sir," he called out, one hand gripping the staff, the other in front of his face, his eyes seemed closed, but in truth, he was carefully examining the gnoll, looking to see for a magical aura on his weapons, "Would it be too great a courtesy to allow me passage through yonder cavern?" His stance was seemed relaxed, but his movements were never wasted, allowing him to spring into action, if I fake to blows.

Zyeke
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

from near the cave entrance came a laugh. Inrii's swift boots brung her to the gnolls guards as Zazzt drew the gnoll captain's attention. She threw a dagger into the back of it's furry spotted shoulder, purposely just missing the vital artery.
She winked at Zazzt, if he could see it, "I'm a rogue, of course I sneak," she whispered.
Still unseen she turned slicing her longsword at the first gnoll. He grasped his chest as blood poured from the thin line. Another ran to the fallen body to loot its corpse.
"Stupid, soon dead gnoll," Inrii called mockingly in their language. The gnoll stood up, looked for the voice as her blade cut through his neck. The rest of the 8 rushed out of the cave, right into Zazzt's hands. He was a big bot and could handle himself.
Inrii began to shift through their possessions. There was no way they could have activated the portal; they didnt have the 'key'.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt sighed, and sensing a need for urgency, pointed a finger at the 8 gnolls rushing ou at him. A small pea of flames made a graceful arc right into the middle of the group, and suddenly the gnolls' world became a raging inferno, their last memory of this world, before their spirits fled their destroyed mortal coils, into the waiting arms of their god. Zazzt bowed, and stepped past the group, standing beside Inrii, "What are thou searching for, as I doubt these gnolls had the means to open yonder portal."

Zyeke
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

"Of course they cant open it. But why would I let such loot go to waste? There's got to be some coin in here," she responded.
Inrii searched their temporary camp. There wasn't much to loot in their meager possession. Off to the side of the cave, a green metallic shine caught her eye. She picked up the ring and inspected it. the ring radiated with a green magic aura. She tucked it nonchalantly into her pouch.
"If you wanna search, hurry up. I'm ready. Nothing of interest here," she replied as the invisibility spell wore out. "Hmmmmmm, that's odd. I remember Alton putting up a special ward in here. How were they able to stay here? The wards should have drove them off when they entered the cave. I doubt they have enough intelligence to dispel these wards."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt simply smiled, "Long ago I have forsaken the magic of others, and have learned to rely upon my own skill with spell and fists." He turned around, his grey eyes turning a brilliant blue, he scanned the cavern and cave for the ward Inrii spoke of.

Zyeke
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

sheathing her sword, Inrii used her true seeing to find the ward. It was as if it was gone.
She quickly signed to Zazzt, "You sense that? Somethings not right."
Thinking quickly, she rushed to the back of the cave, spotted the the secret door, and hurried to the portal. When she arrived to the farthest room she paused in shock. Inrii threw back her hood, allowing her knee length bluish silver hair to fall around her. The portal had taken some damage. the titanium poles that suspended the gate were bent, though still standing. She pulled out her half mask and donned it.
Looking back to see she was alone ((if im not alone then I wouldn't open it yet. family secret ;) u can enter as it lights up tho)) she walked up to it. taking her dagger, she cut across her palm and let her blood drip onto the panel's cup sized hole. She then looked back again and then waved her hand over the panel, allowing the magic of her mithril House ring to activate it.
The gate began to power-up, filling the room with a bright lavender light, then faded back to blackness of the cave.
"wha...This aint good."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt rushed into the room, "I felt a rush of magic... Is this thy portal?" He asked, then his eyes settled on her mask, "Vhaerunite? Does House Jaelre worship Vhaerun?" He took a step back, and his pack fell to the floor, "Thy portal is broken, its structural integrity has been compromised, thou shall not activate it like this. Given time, I could possibly fix it, however I shan't give thee guarantees." He gripped his staff, "After we find this Vale, thee and I have something we need to discuss."

Zyeke
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((i just remembered why i loved spell check on the internet program...hehehe))

Inrii took off her mask and put it away again. There was need for this third part of the key, but the portal was damaged. Inrii shrugged, thinking about whole incident. She may had been raised in Vhaeraun's faith, but she had never really been religious or active. He hadn't been real to her. She even wondered if she could truly be called a Vhaeraunite.
"It looks like we're taking the long way. I'm gunna have a talk with Uncle Jezz about Vorndrin's decisions." She started out the hidden rooms to the main cavern.
"and to your obvious shock and question, my [i:rxgu6i9n]House[/i:rxgu6i9n] does follow the Masked Lord. I thought most people in this area knew of Minauthkeep. The mask is a part of the key. Looks like it did me no good tho. So is this where you attempt to take me out or you want to continue your quest?" she joked.