Ascent from Darkness

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

She thought for a moment, she normally didnt think about those days, it was so long ago. Being in her fourth century, she didnt recall much.
She walked to her cabinet in the makeshift kitchen and poured two glasses of a reddish wine, and offered Veraka one.
"Dont worry, I promise it's not poisoned," she said as she sipped hers, "where to begin? I was born to a non-noble wealthy house, Celofraie. Most females are raised and trained to be priestess, going to the academy by their 25th birthday. but most are sent around 15. Unfortunately, according to my matron mother, I didnt have the ability for clerical studies or spells. I was born a fighter. Our house needed more priestess, so they force me. Even in the Academy, things didnt work out. I changed my appearance and snuck into Melee Magthere. I trained there a good year. This action forced the loss of favor of our house and a lower house seized their chance to improve their lot in life. I was somehow discovered and spared and taken in by House Omat, the fourth house to be a solider. I was there a century, before Matron Omat was replaced by her oldest daughter, as usually happens," she explained just in case. "So many of us were forced out into the slums, an almost worse fate than death. I managed to bully my way to this position about a century and a half ago. But little did I know that Dark Maiden was seeking me. I found her a few decades ago thru the daughter of Lady Helvighym. I serve as eyes for this part of the city, sorta a spy if you will. that's prudy much me. what about your life? how did you come this little city?"
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

((sorry it's so long 8) ))
Veraka took the wine and gave it taste. Listening intently to Mayae, he took another gulp of the red liquid. She finished and asked about his past.
Veraka stared at her in disbelief, then shaking his head, he said "Sorry for the stare. No one has never been interested in my past save for Aurora here.
Hmm, my past; well to start off, I was born into the Grey Wolf tribe of Uthgardt barbarians. I've never known who my parents were; what I do know is that one of them was a probably a half-celestial. Yes, I'm an Assimar, before you ask." He let out a sigh at the thought of not knowing his heritage.
"That was how I became this colossal being you see. After being trained for nearly my entire early life, my tribal shaman gave me my right of initiation 'test'. It was very simple; go off and kill an entire rival tribe. However, my blood and my sense of honor wouldn't allow it, so I was banished from my tribe. I wandered for a time on my own with nothing but the equipment you see on my back. That was when I first encountered the Lady of Silver hair. It was the Dark Maiden, or at least I thought it was, who guided me to this one," he said, gesturing to Aurora.
"Aurora was near dead when I arrived. She was surrounded by five other winter wolves who wanted her for nothing more than a meal. At this, I saw red and fought all of them off, though not without payment." Veraka indicated the multiple scars across his face. "From there, I nursed her back to health, and we've traveled together ever since; after a while, I discovered the Black Lion tribe, and was taken in. I trained under them for a long time; then, some monks of Tyr came along for trading, and discovered my bloodline. They took me in for paladin training, which adhered to my sense of justice. For a little while, I was a paladin of Tyr, until I saw with my own eyes that there are some things that a paladin of Tyr cannot stop, mostly because the 'laws' that I served under would not allow it.
I broke away from Tyr and again, wandered alone around Faerun. That was when I discovered my storm warrior capabilities, under the guidance of some of the Dark Maiden's followers on the surface. So now I serve the Dark Maiden as a Paladin for her justice and a Storm warrior for her retribution.
As for why I'm here within this city; let's just say that I'm on a search for my past, but more importantly, I believed that there was someone within this city needed help, and so here I am." he said with some resignation.
"Though be warned, Mayae," he said staring her directly in the eyes, "there is a part of me that comes out only in the most dire of situations; I believe it to be part of my heritage, but this part of me, the berserker, so to speak, when it comes out, if you are in my way, get of it quickly. This side of me, it sees no allies or enemies, it sees only that which triggered it as its ally. You saw a controlled variant when I was fighting those," he said, pointing an armored hand over to the corpses of dire corbies.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

She understood and nodded, but not too worried. Little could be worse than torture from an angry matron.
"Aasimar? I dont think I have heard of your race or much of the human deities. I am a bit unlearned," Mayae admitted somewhat embarressed.
She took another sip when a curious thought came to her.
"Excuse my curiosity, but I do have to ask. did the Lady grant you magical sight? I know surfacers cant see down her apart from some gift or light. Non-drow in House Helvighym are given an amulet that allows them to see."
--
Zarae forced herself to not stay and watch. She was likly already in enough trouble for sneaking out again. After haven been caught the first time, she was good at sneaking out and not getting caught. But she had spent a good bit longer out than intended.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

"It is quite all right, your curiosity is well understood," Veraka said, taking another gulp of his drink.
"As for my race; well aasimars are the offspring of a mortal and a celestial, an angel or, in some rare cases, a god. In my case, a genasi and a celestial. All that I am aware of is that my mother was the celestial parent and my father was the genasi parent."

Veraka stopped for a moment, "Come to think of it, I've actually met an assimar who was part drow." He took another drink.
"As for your second question; yes, I believe that my ability to make out the auras that surround people is a gift from the Lady, though why she would grant such a gift to me is unknown."
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

She listened intently.
"I will never understand why she does such things. To come searching one such as me? I've tried hard to make amends or atone for much of the past..." she couldnt continue the thought so she chugged the last bit of her glass and walked to put it away. removing all emotion again, she turned back around to her guest, "so do you have any questions of our fair city or such. I dont know how well you know correct 'etticate', but to know who to avoid, who to run from, who to respect, and such may greatly aid you."
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

"I am . . . [b:mzb5ngln]versed [/b:mzb5ngln] in the ways of Underdark and the drow who dwell within; however, you are correct in that I am not familiar with customs of your city, though I have to admit, my stay here has been much better than I would have expected it to be. I would like to know which matron mothers hold the Dark Ones favor, and which houses they are associated with. Also, whom are the rogues of the city and where are they to be found; I don't like bartering with the likes of such, but I've found in my past experiences that drow rogues, especially males, tend to be more forthcoming with information, tools and the like, given the right . . . persuasion," he asked Mayae as he downed the last of his wine.
"One question has been irking at me for sometime, do you know of any drow priestesses that have been killed of the late? The reason for my asking is simple; when I was unconscious within your tower cell, I had a dream. Within that dream, a drow female, priestess if I'm not mistaken, came up to me and asked me, begged me to save those two," he indicated Volas and Xaeraen lying on the floor, sleeping on Aurora. "She said that they were her grandchildren and that she did not want to see them fall into Lolth's twisted teachings as she had."
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

"we're not much different than most drow cities, maybe smaller. Well, the so-called rebel groups are more prominant and active.
The top five noble houses matron mothers, obvoius by dress and attitude make up the council. they include in order: House Mae'Vir, House Kilanatlar, House X'larraz'et'soj, House Omat, House Xuxium.
there are some alliances among the houses, but I wouldnt worry about all those politics. just never look at a noble female and stay out of their way. their houses are in the Brozen as all 13 noble house are. there's no way to 'accidentally' enter that district. the girl that was here was of the 2nd house. I think she's the youngest daughter.
The Exarz is the slums, houseless rogues, poorest families and many non-drow inhabitants. very dangerous. the Bazaar will be your best bet. Bruhoanar has a shop; he's one of us and is the best source of information.
avoid the academy, for obvious reasons. to us, that is the most dangerous place. The Red Sisters operate from the temple." she thought a moment and allowed theat mouthful seek in.
"now that you mention it, Bruhoanar said something of Lady Helvighym having lost a daughter. Their was no rumors she gave up the base. Are the children from here?"
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

"Yes, I believe they are from this city, in fact; if that is the case then I must speak with Lady Helvighym immediately. If these children are truly the grandchildren of a daughter of hers, then I must let her know that I am tasked with safeguarding Volas and Xaeraen and seeing them to the surface, even if it costs me my life."
"As for the Exarz; sounds like my type of arena, however I will not go there until I've conversed with Lady Helvighym, and debriefed her of the two young ones and my responsibility toward them." A curious look passed over Veraka's face; "Mayae, do you know anything of how this daughter of Lady Helvighym came up among the dead?"
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

"word is those hunting us found her. Each of the ruling houses has puts one of their daughters into the Red Sisters. But they dont think it was a Red Sister tho. most of them are busy with our neighboring city and those problems."
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

"Understood. However if it wasn't one of the Red Sisters, then who could it have been, unless. . . . " Veraka said, his voice trailing off.
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

((just incase, in the early post, it was Zarae's sister who did it...she's a hired assassin- class: drow wonderer))

she looked at him confused. "Bruh might know, he knows everything it seams. people are carefree around him b/c he's 'blind.' so he picks up things rumors and gossip. Now, techically he is, but he see's like a bat does, thru soundwaves. interesting story!"
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

"Is this Bruh fellow located in the Bazaar? Although I'm not keen on hunting down the killer, if I know who it was, then perhaps her grandchildren will not suffer a similar fate. If it comes down to that I will hunt down the killer, even if I bring down an entire house upon myself," he said, anger rising in his voice.
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

"yeah, his shop's near the river. but we should still wait a bit before heading out. Maybe you need some rest?"
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

"Heh, I think that that would be a wise course of action, well, inaction," Veraka said to Mayae, all sudden feeling very fatigued. "Come to think of it, I don't think I've had any rest what so ever in the past 84 hours. I think a little shut eye would do me good."
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

"Very well, I can wake you when it's safe to travel out."
Mayae walked twords her own room and began to sift thru her things.
--
Zarea traveled down her house's escape tunnel. She neared the enterance, and place her ear near the door. there were no sounds. Activating her house insignia she turned invisible and waved it in front of the door. it opened into an empty room. She slipped inside as the door began to close. Quickly heading to her room she passed by the antechamber. Two of her sisters were arguing over some dead female from the Bazaar.
"I have these, but I have yet to discover what purpose they serve. But she is dead, as proof, here," Alylin place a drow ear and finger into Zebeycyrl hand along with the keyring. "I expect the Red Sisters have yet to discover as much," she smirked.
"I would not speak so to your elder sister and one in such a position as I," Zebeycyrl called as Alylin walked off.
Zarae rushed on, hoping her mother never discovered she had been missing. As she entered the gym, Nilree sat polishing his weapons.
--
After the council meeting ended, Matron Mae Vir confidently walked twords the city temple to meet with the Red Sisters. All but 3 had returned from Charrvhel'raugaust. There was no new information on either rebel group. Had she not been planning a house war, the lack of progress might would have bothered her more. Realizing Matron Shyntyl's daughter not among them made her smile wickedly.
--
Lady Helvighym walked thru the house complex. She did her usual rounds of securing all wards and protections. her daughter Zarstra had been called out of the house for today, and had not yet returned. She was still trying to deal with the loss of her youngest and keep up appearances for those in her care.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~