The Art of Magic

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

"It's not difficult at all!" He mentally snapped, making a note to appear physically peeved as possible. "Do you know how to make a golem? A man formed in little more then clay; then you add physical imperfection, because only the Gods may make men in their flawless form." Eli tapped his teeth again, but this time to point out they were strange looking, angular like a beast's, to demonstrate his point rather then out of habit. "This body is made of little more then that. Even a fool like you should know how to make one, unless they skills of young ones are lessening by the decade-"

He paused for a moment, expression softening. His voice, at least in Zazzt's mind, sounded slightly nostalgic. "The only thing that requires skillful hands... if affixing the soul."

The boy was lost in his own thoughts for a minute before he resumed talking. "But I can fight on my own, I assure you. What reason do you have for aiding me? In all likelihood, should my original body be restored, you'd lose your use and I'd simply dispose of you." He paused again, biting slightly on his knuckle as he considered the situation. But he wasn't in his original body, was he? Not a fraction of his power had attached itself to this vessel. The Drow could be of some use, perhaps, if he stayed on his good side; chances were Zazzt good even pulverize him in his weakened state. That is, at least until he got into civilization and refueled once more.

"Fine." he said, rubbing the deep dents left bitten into his finger which filled in almost immediately. "For a time."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Zazzt mentally nodded, "Dispose of me? Amusing, but I hardly doubt you have magic to peirce my sheilds, or deflect my attacks. The theory of crafting a construct is well known to me, but I have never needed a construct. I have been able to supply my own defense quite ably." He looked the boy over, "But the constructs that I know how to create require that a spirit from some elemental plane be bound into the form, making a mindless, if powerful, adversary... But I suppose now is not the time to discourse over past achievements. We must turn to the more immediate problem at hand." His eyes twitched in Lillianna's direction, "I somehow doubt that that one would work with the likes of you and I."
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli cackled to himself physically, but resumed speaking mentally. "Ha, ha- I suppose, the way I am now, I couldn't even begin to think of such a thing as disposing you. Indeed, by most degrees you are far more powerful then I." He crossed his arms, a very egotistical look passing over his face. "But should you indeed help me return to my original state, as you say; well... that is another story. However, there is no reason to discuss the past now; there is, indeed, the matter at present."

His eyes passed thoughtfully onto Lilianna. "Probably not, but she's a healer; not that I need such a thing, however, there are many prospects to this Elf that could be of use to us. All she needs is a little... persuasion."

Eli stared down at his feet, not even he knowing quite what he meant by 'persuasion'. Normally he was quite good at controlling the mind, usually having others do his bidding instead of getting his hands dirty, but the Elf was quite strong in defense and at the moment he was quite weak. Which reminded him.

"But of if I'm to be of any benefit to [i:1hfhh8al]you[/i:1hfhh8al], we need to bring this broad with us into civilization fast. I need a certain potion to keep my magic affixed to this body, and I won't be finding the ingredients out here. Unless, of course, you'd prefer an empty shell of a child at your disposal."
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

One eyebrow lifted slightly, "I can't honestly say that I'd rather you were here instead of on some other plane, [i:251mzvdx]dear[/i:251mzvdx] Drow. I'm sure you'd have found your true kin within those festering slime pits when you were there? Brothers and sisters, perhaps?"

"And godhood?" she continued, "For who? You or your Master, who'll probably die by your own hand?" A small voice rose inside her head, chiding her for her hypocrisy. Pushing it back down, she added, "Well, I hope you one day find reign among your own people; hopefully somewhere in the Nine Hells, where you'll be able to see your dear Master and most likely every other Drow you've met in your life."

She found the glances shot at her by the two rather disconcerting. What were they doing, those two? If they were somehow planning on getting rid of her, it wouldn't happen. Unless, of course, some other more well met traveler happened to actually [i:251mzvdx]know[/i:251mzvdx] their whereabouts. It seemed odd to her that the child - so afraid of the Drow at one point - seemed at ease around him. She'd felt that there was something different about the child ever since she had met him, but not in any strange, perverted way - just that his spirit didn't seem to fit with his shape.

A sharp pain ran up her left arm. She turned her back to Zazzt and Eli quickly, gritting her teeth. Her other hand rose to hold her arm, but it left as soon as it came. She turned and addressed the both of them, her voice slightly hoarser than it had been a few moments ago despite her attempts to cover it. "Come, lest I grow feeble with old age waiting for you to decide on whether we should go or not, and whether you should come." Directing the last part at Zazzt, she looked at Eli, "Child, your parents must be waiting for you - we'll not keep them long, shall we?" [i:251mzvdx]Quickly, quickly.[/i:251mzvdx]
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt shrugged, "Well, I find it easier to dissect life preserving enchantments while they are still active, as opposed to after they have ceased to function. Besides, simply use your childish charms on her. It works perfectly fine, assuming you are not trying to con a drow. We live on intrigue, and your acting skills are not quite up to their finest yet." He stretched, "Well, I suppose you and I can have a nice friendly competition when you are up to full potential once more. It has been long since I have had a good spell duel with a worthy rival." Zazzt glanced at Lilianna, making sure she wasn't planning anything, and said "I suppose that I really must be on my way, fare thee well." He started walking, and waved back at the pair, using the motion to cast a spell of invisibility, and levitation simultaneously, making it almost indecipherable from a teleport, even though he was still close enough to communicate telepathically with Eli.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli rolled his eyes, walking faster to catch up with Lilianna. Did Zazzt really think she wouldn't detect something like that? The Elf was kind, of course, or at least played the part; however, something told the former Sorcerer not to underestimate her power. She seemed proficient enough in magic that he deemed it unwise to pass over her so quickly, not until he'd fully assessed her skill level.

Gleefully (or at least seeming so), he latched onto her arm again. [i:3ke1p0ax]'Childish charm'[/i:3ke1p0ax] would only last so long, "And besides," he said to the Drow through their mental link as he eyed the place he suspected he was now floating, "I only touched her mind briefly before, but I can feel it. She's suspicious; suspicious, probably because of your moronic calling me out on my identity over and over. Whether I my acting is up to par or not, she found [i:3ke1p0ax]you[/i:3ke1p0ax] quite persuasive- and you're going to have to fix it lest she decide I'm not what I seem once and for all."

"I'm sorry for being so... er, rude to you before, my lady!" Eli smiled kindly at Lilianna, giving a sort of bow and remembering to pep his voice up a bit, if only just to spite Zazzt's snub at his acting. "Hunting for strange flowers in such cold weather without a bita' food to eat is bad for thuh' human brain, ya'seee. But you protected to from the horrid creature, miss! Good thing he's gone; you must have scared him off with those enchanted swords of yours!" He hopped excitedly as they continued walking, "Never before have a seen such a thing! Tell me;" He said, turning his head to the side when his grin became a bit too wide, "How did you learn these tricks?"
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Her gaze followed Zazzt's movements, then turned to the road ahead as soon as he vanished. Her cheeks coloured, suffusing her copper skin with a rosy glow as anger took hold. Did he really think she was [i:2cfujmns]that[/i:2cfujmns] stupid? She was no youngling to any order! And the presence of the Drow gliding along close to Eli was not impossible for her to spot. Despite her thoughts of his constant boasting, he definitely was powerful - and that wasn't something that went away with invisibility.

She did not speak up, though. She was no fool - although she did not know exactly where the Drow was at the moment, it was certainly within close range of that brat. They were up to something, most assuredly. As Eli ran up to her, grasping at her arm, she looked at him and smiled, hoping that Eli would mistake her flushed face for warmth and not anger. It certainly was more than a little irritating, being looked down upon, but the weaker they thought she was, the better. At least then she'd be too unimportant to worry about.

"It's fine, child. I'm sure your hunger can be taken care of when we reach your place - I'm afraid I've nothing in my stock." It was partly true, she reflected. She had merely neglected to add the "for you" at the end of her sentence. The food she had was not going to be wasted yet - she still wasn't sure if she'd find a job at the child's village. Truth be told, she wasn't even sure where she was, and the map that lay in one of the many pockets of her cloak was no help.

She realized that he had asked her a question and smiled, "It's a secret, little one. Maybe one day you'll learn to do things like this. You've an appreciation for magic, do you not?" One day? Unless she was mistaken, gathering from what the Drow had said, this "child" was no such thing. He'd probably done so many a time before.

She awkwardly reached over at patted his head. Where had that accent come from? And the attitude? She never removed her eyes from the road the whole time. Whether or not the Drow had anything to do with it, hopefully it had nothing to do with her, and hopefully he wouldn't turn visible until well after they had reached the village and she had managed to shake the child off. Judging by earlier reactions, he'd try to leave her before she offered to walk him home, anyway.

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

As the two walked away, Zazzt floated along silently behind them, not even thinking that Lilianna was aware of his presance. His faith in his power had ever been his weakness. As he floated along behind the pair, he considered Eli's words. Zazzt scoffed at the notion of Eli being able to dispose of him, but he also knew that a spell battle between the two would certainly be a costly affair, and would leave their battle feild scarred. He hoped he could minimize the effect of the battle... he might even convince the elf to raise a barrier around the two, if it came to blows with Eli, which Zazzt dearly hoped to avoid, there was much to learn from the shape shifting child. Zazzt smiled, at the possibility of gaining magical knowledge, but he dearly hoped he could stear the almost inevitable fight clear of her, and the village that was doubtlessly nearby.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli frowned and looked down at his feet a minute as he walked. Maybe he'd overdone it a little bit; his usual voice was quite posh in accent, very pronounced and not quite fitting of the lowly child he was pretending to be. That said, he couldn't very well start talking childishly now- however, he felt the constant urge to prove he was the best. The best at absolutely everything. In his own mind, he was; this was not truly the case, but he'd yet to accept the limits of his new body. Even as a sorcerer, he had always been a brat in that manner.

Either way, he continued on; "And don't float so close to me, you fool." He snapped at Zazzt, though his jagged mouth stayed closed. "If she does see you- oh, and [i:3al1thu0]however could that happen-[/i:3al1thu0] lurking so close to me, her suspicions will only raise."

He did a sort of half skip, half walk farther ahead in order to gain some distance, looking back with that fake, kind smile plastered upon his face, making sure not to flash a threatening grin this time. "Well, hurry up!" Eli urged. "I think it's this way! We better get walkin' lest that creature find us again."

The volume of his voice slightly raised to make sure Zazzt could hear, "That [i:3al1thu0]horrible, ugly, idiotic[/i:3al1thu0] drow". The boy began to hum to himself happily. "But I sure would like to learn, miss. I sure would. I don't know a thing about that stuff, tho', my father keeps me away from it, for honest and truly!"
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Quickening her stride to catch up to him, Lilianna nodded reassuringly, "We'll get there, I promise you."

She hid her grin, pulling her cloak over her head to let her hood drop low enough that it cast any visible part of her face into shadow. Resisting the urge to add to the adjectives Eli had thrown out, she stuck her hands into two empty pockets.

"He keeps you away from it, you say?" She tilted her head to gaze at him, honeyed braids swinging loose to hang below her hood. "And yet you do not seem afraid of those who use it," she murmurs softly, adding a note of awe to her voice so that it seemed more lighter - full of praise, even - instead of an accusation.

She slipped her hand out of its glove and held it before his face. At once and amber glow filled the air around it. Tiny streaks, like miniature lightening danced around her palm and slid around her fingers. "Would you like to learn how to do that?" She still wasn't positive as to whether or not this child was a real child, but should he prove to be, his parents may very well be her first customers. Although it was faint, she could feel the Talent within him, and, even deeper, was a stronger current slightly reminiscent of a waterfall, hid deep within him almost like a core source of true power. If he was a child, he could prove potentially dangerous if untaught.

Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli slanted his head, staring absent mindedly at the streaks of light. "Certainly!" he said, clapping his hands together with another friendly smile and thinking to himself, [i:2yc8399n]"Because the one thing I need more then power right now is a damn finger light show."[/i:2yc8399n] Not that learning her brand of magic wouldn't be beneficiary, if she had anything at all he didn't know; most of his magic was dark, anyway. It was always good to know what he was dealing with. "And I guess I'm just curious- rebellious, as father would say."

Walking on with the elf, something caught his eye; whether or not the other two could see it yet, he could not tell. Slowly, a stream of light broke over the horizon. Eli squinted for a moment, face blank of expression. "A mob..." he mumbled quietly to himself. "Humans from the village..." And fire. If there was one thing he didn't like (at least, not anymore) it was fire.

He shuddered slightly upon remembering something. "We should get out of the way." He urged Lilianna. "They're obviously- uh, rowdy about something. I wouldn't get in their way. They can be quite violent, you know. Best just to avoid them." The boy slightly tugged her sleeve to the side of the road, but not forceful enough to seem frantic.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

At the boy's words of "fire", Zazzt smiled, "Time to play the hero." he sent to Eli, and flew off behind the mob, reappearing behind them, and smiling happily, "So then, why are you all standing around here for?" He looked at the flames devourig the village, "Do you need help? Have you no water readily available?"

Zyeke
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

The light cantrip disappeared, and she looked over in the direction he was gazing at. Her eyesight, much keener than Eli's, spotted the source quickly. She shook her head and pulled him back on the road. "There are only twenty or so - they cannot touch you while I am here."

She notices his shudder, then, with a sigh, acknowledges and turns off the road. It was better for him to lead her in than run off in fright because of fire. "Come. I think I see the village gates spread out this way. If we're lucky, we might pass through unnoticed.

She led him now, one hand behind his back, pushing him forwards, the other now grasped around a slender wand hidden in her pocket. Riots were dangerous to be near, and she did not want to start off her new life with - however insignificant to her - a death. She overlooked the fact that she was curious as to what powers Eli actually held.

Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

[OOC: I meant torches in regards to fire since it's a mob, not the town; so. Yeahh.]

Eli breathed a sigh of relief, though no actual air passed through his throat. He had never even known a twinge of fear but a few years ago before becoming stuck in this accursed shell. Swords could cut through this flesh and he would just as quickly pull himself back together; fire, however, hardened his clay exterior, cracking it to bits and pieces. He'd lost and remade a good limb or two due to it, though the ingredients from which he was made were not completely rare. Only then could he feel pain, let alone feel anything at all. A weird sort of pain, though; as if a piece of your being had been torn off inside yourself, rather then just an arm or a leg.

The villagers looked around, but could not spot or hear any of them; average humans, their eyesight was not so keen, especially as the sky had finally darkened and their shouts drowned out their footsteps as they crackled through debris into the woods. Eli slumped half heartedly against a tree with a frown, no longer looking nervous so much as vaguely displeased that his quest had been cut short once again by a bunch of strange, bumbling imbeciles. He growled slightly to himself, regretting the decision not to simply see what power remained within him and simply killing them all; however, this would displease Lilianna. He didn't want to risk a battle with anyone of her or Zazzt's skill level, not until he'd got into the village and acquired the potion he'd been longing for.

Quietly as possible, he continued trotting through the woods, knowing the village would be in the opposite direction as to where the villagers were coming from. He twitched slightly as he heard one of them shout out something about "finding that boy's killer" and "how did he get out of the town unnoticed?" but continued walking on as if he heard nothing. "On second thought..." he mumbled to the Elf, stopping abruptly and wondering where Zazzt had disappeared to (while not particularly caring enough to use his mind link) , "I recognized none of those villagers, and I've lived in the same place my entire life. Come, they must be the neighbouring townsfolk, my home is this way."

He began cutting through the trees, knowing there was a second village somewheres nearby. If they'd found the body of the boy and his family after he'd killed them in order to use to child's identity and remain of little suspicion while hiding out among them, the kid returning from the dead was probably a bad idea.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

OOC: Oh... psh, boring mob then...

IC: Zazzt smiled, and with a wave at the astonished townsfolk, flew off into the air again, this time not wanting to make full preparations for invisibility, transformed himself into a black hawk, and using the mind link to see where Eli was headed, flew off in that general direction, landing on a branch not far ahead of the two.

Zyeke