The Art of Magic

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Arya Baenre
Resident

The Art of Magic

Post by Arya Baenre »

Lilianna kicked at the leaves on the ground, looking around the area for some sign of civilization. Taking out a slip of paper, she sighed again, her breath coming out in a fine mist.

She pulled her hood over her head, hiding most of her face as a strong breeze blew towards her, cursing the thin cloak she had worn as cover. Winter's icy reach had not yet enveloped these lands within her cold embrace, but she was bound to come in a few days.

It had been a while since she had left her home to come down to these parts - it was said there was good enough opportunity for a mage in small parts such as these - the pay wasn't the best, but food and lodging made it worthwhile. In just a few years, she should be well on her way to become a well known magic user.

Tucking her hands within her sleeves, she proceeded onwards, muttering under her breath at each cold gust of wind. Now, if only she could find such a place.
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

The sound of snickering rang from a nearby tree where a short, hooded figure made no effort the hide the entertainment he felt from the seeing the passerby shiver and frown. "Cold?" he smiled, motioning his hand lightly as his legs dangled from a thick branch high above the ground. The boy couldn't have been far into his early teens, perhaps even younger, but he wore the expression of someone far less bumbling, someone far older; a chesire cat sort of grin. All in all, it was a bit unsettling.

With his left hand, he toyed absentmindedly at one of the arrows held by the fabric wrapped around his chest. "I could fix that," he muttered, manner unusually cold compared the the devilish taunting he'd directed at Lilianna only moments before. Eli looked up and smiled again, this time almost sheepishly. "Got any money on ya'?"
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

She turned to the young boy. Lifting her hood to get a better look at him, she tilted her head backwards, dark honeyed braids falling away from her face to expose coppery skin and piercing golden eyes. The points of her ears, visible through her hair, marked her an elf.

A motherly smile painted her ageless face in return to his question. Shaking her head, she called out in a soft, musical tone, "No, little one, I do not. Where are your parents, child?"

She paused a moment, and then added, "And you said you could fix the cold? How would you be able to do that?" At this, her tone became slightly inquisitive yet incredulous, giving a greater impression that she was speaking to a three year old.

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Zazzt shook his head, why in the name of the holy pantheon had he been placed here? This area of Faerun was just about as gods forsaken as possible. A waste of his talent, that's what this whole ordeal was. "Lady Mystra why, why must you try me so?" He grumbled. The light breeze that caused his face to sting decided not to answer, it never did anyway. He blew on his hands, trying to warm them, but to no avail. After his breath passed, they remained as cold as before. With a sigh, he stuffed them into the pockets of his robe, and buried his head deeper within the hood of his cloak. Suddenly, his keen drow ears picked up the sound of conversation, a little to his left, he turned, and looked down the small hill, seeing a pair of dark forms. They must be the ones talking. Waving his hands to warm them, fighting with unfeeling hands could be difficult, he walked down the hill calling out to the people below, "Oy, who are you, identify yourselves."
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli paused to stare at her a moment, apparently surprised by Lilianna's appearance. His own was still mainly hidden by the hood that overshadowed his face, but his dark, widened eyes were evident as daylight. For a second he looked bewildered, age appropriate even, before an oversized sneer emerged on his small, round face. "Heh! A dirty elf," he muttered to himself just audibly enough for her to hear (though there was no real basis to his statement), "No wonder you can't afford a decent cloak." Oddly enough, his robes were even thinner. Somehow, the boy didn't shiver, didn't move an inch, even when bashed with the cold, forceful winds which ripped through the treetops.

"If you have no gold to go along with your foolish questions, then you, madame, are of zero use to me." He looked up in a manner too posh to fit his meager outfit and low stature, as if the motherly tone of her voice was a damning insult. Although his own voice was youthful, it had no childish chirp to it; he was cold and downright rude. His gaze stayed fixed on the now dimming sky, waiting for the sound of Lilianna's footsteps to carry on and leave him be. Eli wouldn't lift a finger for someone else unless it benefitted himself as well; if she couldn't offer him anything, he was just as content to see her freeze to death. There would always be another stranger with something valuable on them he could con away; or, if need be, take forcefully. In his field of work, ingredients did not come cheap. Running petty errands would not fill his needs; not that they weren't below him, anyhow. He was gunning for the big money.

He hummed a strange melody to himself as the man approached the two, although the mysterious boy refrained from responding to his question. "In fact," he thought to himself instead, "here comes one of those strangers now."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

As Zazzt neared, no reply was forthcoming, so he shook his head. "Wonderful, I have come upon a group of deaf adventurers. Just my luck." He muttered under his breath, "Ah well, unless the gods deem to make me the object of their merriment today, I might still be able to speak with them." He now stood fairly close to the two people, and raised his dark skinned hands, pulling the hood of his cloak down, revealing his drow nature. Waving his hand behind him, he summoned a small disc of purple energy, and sat down on it, "So then, are you deaf?" He asked loudly, and pulling out a piece of parchment scribbled down, [i:2plemhwc]Can you not hear me? Are you magically afflicted with deafness?[/i:2plemhwc] and tossed it on the ground by the shorter one's feet. Sighing, he rummaged around in his pack, and pulled out a cane, with a ruby as a hand hold, and touched that to his forehead, trying to detect magic on the two people in front of him.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Her lip curled in contempt at Eli's words. "I might have known. The way you humans raise your children ..." her mutter was swallowed by the wind.

She turned to acknowledge the newcomer, opening her mouth to answer him just as he lifted his own hood.

Pure shock transformed her angular features, irritation replaced by dread that changed to anger. The pale blue Zazzt would have seen surrounding her and - more importantly - her cloak, filled with various magical relics, turned a brilliant sky blue, brightening as her shield spell came into effect. Without a thought, she cast one over the child as well - brat or no, he'd be on her conscience if she let a Drow touch him.

She drew back a few paces and lifted one gloved hand. Curving her fingers upwards, she spoke a word. Lightening crackled into existence, playing between slender fingers. The lightening was clearly a warning for him; she had not sent it at Zazzt yet. She sent a tendril of lightening out a few paces before Zazzt to show him that it wasn't for show. If he was anything like what she had heard, she was definitely going to need much more than that. Her lips moved in an inaudible prayer to her god that she would be protected from the evil Drow standing before her. It did not occur to her at any point that he may be a friend.

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt smiled, "Impressive, an accomplished mage I see," He bowed to Lilianna, "As to be expected from one of the People." He glanced at the human, and shrugged, "Well, since we all seem to be stuck mute and deaf by my appearance, I think it would be best to not hurl lightnings about, young one," With a snap of his fingers, he also produced lightning around on of his hands, while the other blazed into fiery life. Placing both hands behind his head, he laid down on the disc, letting the rainbow of his wards play out into full view, confidant they would protect him from any possible attacks from the other two. Almost as an after thought, he flicked both palms outward, and the energies of the two spells discharged for a good dozen feet of pure fire and lightning. The disc turned around, so that he could see both of them without standing up, "Are you hungry, perhaps?" He asked, pulling out a goblet and decanter of fine drow wine, and pouring himself a drink.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli swung down from the branch in one fluid, seemingly inhuman motion and grabbed hold of Zazzt's note, brows furrowing deeply and a look of frustration appearing on his face as he crumpled it up and threw it forcefully back in his direction. How [i:1ixqzhrx]dare[/i:1ixqzhrx] he imply such a thing? There was absolutely no reason to speak with the likes of him in the first place, let alone have his ability to hear questioned. "Do not test me, boy-" he began to shout, despite obviously being the youngest of the three. Eli then caught himself, loosening his tightly clenched fists and grimace, as a familiar nervous yet sheepish smile appeared on his face. [i:1ixqzhrx]"I dare not forget the position in, or it will be the death of me; I can't battle like I used to."[/i:1ixqzhrx]

He recognized that sort of magic. It was probably not in his best interests to make foes with such a Drow in his current body. Hard to kill as it was, Eli was still weak he couldn't afford to lose the energy. He hid his disgust behind the mask of childish innocence, and was about to ask the same question he did of Lilianna is his sweetest, most convincing voice- when suddenly, he felt a shiver rush through him. He jumped slightly backwards and surveyed the Elf, recognizing immediately the protection spell she'd put upon him though bewildered as to why.

[i:1ixqzhrx]"All the better,"[/i:1ixqzhrx] he coughed to himself under breath. Should Zazzt read his abilities, he might start questioning why such a young child had such a strong reading; with Lilianna watching over him, he would not have the opportunity to reveal this unsettling fact. He was already unsafe being on the run as it is without having to change his identity again.

Eli watched the two for a minute before his eyes trailed away. If these two were going to brawl, he needed to get out of here. Not that their kind would be a problem in his original state, but as he was, drawing attention was not ideal.
Last edited by Eli on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt chuckled, "Ah, I see the charm has broken then." He slid off of the disk, and it rose to about chest height for him, and he opened his pack, and pulled out a fist sized red orb. Blowing on it caused it to glow, and suddenly a heat, as if from a small campfire started emanating from the object. "Now then, to business, who are you, to be impertinent to me, you seem hardly out of your first score of winters child, whereas I have lived for almost three centuries." Sipping from his goblet, "And what brings you to these gods forsaken lands anyway? If you are an adventurer, I can assure you, there are no artifacts of note in these parts."

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli growled again. [i:1xxp54xl]"Obnoxious oaf,"[/i:1xxp54xl] he thought, although he thought that of most everybody. He remembered his disguise once more, and a false smile filled his face.

"I'm older then I look, my good sir!" he laughed in the most childlike way he could muster, giving a small bow as he did so. "My mother is quite ill and my father has sent me to look for some rare herbs; however, this was a good week ago. I seem to have gotten lost, and find myself out here." At least concerning the herbs, this wasn't entirely untrue.

He gave a sort of wave, beginning to swivel on one foot, hoping the Drow would let him be on his way. "Sorry-" he began, choking slightly on the word, "to dishonour you so, I'd best resume looking lest I ne'er return home again." The young appearance he used while in this artificial body was entirely created for the element of surprise, but it occasionally let him avoid confrontation, too. If he could, Eli would much rather resume hunting for easier targets. Simply put, he couldn't waste what magic he had left; not until he replenished. Time was running out.
Last edited by Eli on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt nodded, "While may be no healer or posses any great knowledge of herb lore, perhaps I may assist you? Two sets of eyes are better than one," He waved his hand, and suddenly the group was surrounded by a dozen floating eyeballs, tiny constructs known as roaming eyes, "What is the herb called?"

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

The boy chuckled nervously, using one hand to lean back on the tree though his arm rested in the most peculiar of positions. He scratched at his cheek momentarily with a small hand; the leather gloves he wore were filled with holes, almost to the point where one could wonder what use there was in wearing them.

"W-well-," he stuttered as the eyes locked upon him in a dead stare, "The name of this herb, I cannot be sure; but I've been told it comes in the oddest shade of blue, speckled in something of a yellow nature." A pang of jealousy ran through him as Zazzt performed; [i:3en4kd90]"Show off,"[/i:3en4kd90] he told himself, though he really only regretted his loss of ability to perform such feats.

"It's something of a Paraticide, I believe." Of course, the herb he described did not truly exist. He needed a distraction in order to get away. As soon as Lilianna's spell wore off, it would become obvious to the Drow that not only could the small child perform small bits of magic, but was created entirely of it as well. If he was injured yet again his quest would be shortened by yet another day, and he longed to return to his original body. This one was made of little more then what one would form a golem in; not that he knew he'd get stuck in it anyway, powerful sorcerer that he once was- was being the key word. Not that it would be pleasurable for his body to find [i:3en4kd90]him[/i:3en4kd90], taking into consideration the current inhabitant who stole it away was looking to kill Eli and keep it for good.
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

She looked at Eli, tilting her head in confusion. As an elf, her people had a natural affinity with nature. The plant this child described did not exist as far as she knew. Casting a distrustful gaze at Zazzt, she dispelled the lightening around her hand and turned to look around the forest. "I know not of what you speak child, though I think I could be of more help to you than a Drow. Yellow with white spots, you say?"

She walked over to the tree he was resting against and crouched down, gazing at the ground for a moment before standing and biting her lip. Was this some foolish human child game, making someone look for something that did not exist?

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt nodded, none of his herbal knowledge spoke of such a flower, but he had spoken truly, his herbal knowledge was not great, and so with a wave of his hand, all the eyes flew off, searching diligently for the described flower. Much more disconcertingwas the fact that the child didn't seem to mind having his arm twisted like that, while not in itself indcative of anything, but the child's attitude was also worrying. Zazzt smiled, "Perhaps I should ask my master, he has millennia of knowledge, he might have heard of your herb." With that, he pulled a hand out of his pocket, and a ring on it twinkled. A fine mist started to form in front of Zazzt and from the mist formed a robe clad figure. As the mist cleared, it revealed a skeletal humanoid, slightly shorter than Zazzt, but obviously much more imposng. Power seemed to bleed from the creature. "Why have you summoned me?" It thundered, in a voice reminisent of Zazzt's, "Child, you have grown impertinent over the centuries." The lich's eyes passed over the small child, and it smiled coldly.

Zyeke