The Art of Magic

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Zazzt smiled, "Unless that single drop o blood is all that is left in his body, he will not be harmed. Tell me, Lilianna, why do you protect him? Do you know this boy?" He rose, and looked at the swords, "Once again, the ingenuity of the people amazes me, but do you not realize that I mean the boy no harm? In any case, why do try to fight me, I am known as the Dark Archmage amongst my people for a good reason."
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli's mischievous grin slowly turned into a frown. As entertaining as this guy was, he didn't trust him one bit. He mumbled something to himself and squeezed Lilianna tighter. He must have had enough power for a simple influence spell, even if it didn't allow him full control of the Elf. Being such a basic spell as it was, Lilianna would take no notice of it compared to the magic of Zazzt. On top of that, her guard was down from his side; there was nothing to stop him. His power used to lye in the control of demons- should everything go smoothly, this would not be too difficult.

[i:26bcvwki] "No-"[/i:26bcvwki] he hissed to her, although the words appeared like a strong driving force inside her head, an overwhelming conscience. The magic slipped through his fingers which clutched her so tight. [i:26bcvwki]"He wants to kill the boy! He wants to kill you too! Your people are enemies, he would never wish to allie with you. You much destroy him first, before he has the chance! It's live or die! Live or die! A Drow- he's dirt! His life, or the lives of two innocents- and surely, he will kill again!"[/i:26bcvwki]
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt appeared not to notice Eli's casting, he turned around, and pulled his hood back up. As he did so, his wards flared into vibrant, multicolored light, obscuring his figure. Then, just as sudennly, he was visible again, a look of pure terror evident on his eyes, "Help me!" he yelled, his voice raisin in pitch, resembling that of a young woman, "Get me out of here, I beg of you. Zazzt fell to the ground, sobbing, "Please, have you no mercy? This drow, he forced my mind into a crystal, and stole my body, transforming me into this. Please, I know not how long I have until-" Zazzt started writhing on the ground in appearant agony, occaosomally yelling out "No!" and "Help me, I beg of yo- Arghh" his voice stuck somewhere between the two timbres.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Lilianna tilted her face upwards to stare Zazzt directly in the eye. "Do I know him? No. But I know you, or, rather, of you and your kind. Only a Drow would say a little prick to a child means nothing. He is human; he is weaker than our race, but you wish to use that against him? If you mean him no harm, throw down your dagger and release any spells." She smirked, "Titles given below the ground to your race mean little, cousin. You assume too much if you think I am a weakling - I have studied magic all my life, and had a better teacher much stronger in magic than you, I am sure."

She stumbled suddenly as the force of Eli's influence spell drove into her mind. The strong shields in her mind repelled the words he tried to send to her, rendering his spell useles. She could not tell who had sent the spell at her, due to the fact that she had Eli under her own protection. Coming to the conclusion that it was Zazzt, she brought her hands together. The sword in front of her rose and sliced at Zazzt's head just as he fell, missing him as the Drow fell to the ground.

The sword vanished, and Lilianna stood there, unsure of what was happening. A visible shield sprung into being between her and Eli should this prove to be a ruse. Was the Drow before her telling the truth? It didn't make sense for him to waste simple magic in trying to to bring her guard down, and that was no natural voice. But ... what had that last spell been? Was it he - or whoever held him - that had tried to break into her mind? And for what? The secrets of her kind? Had he been trying to turn her into his own ally? She looked at Eli, clutching tightly at her, a thought crossing her mind. That spell was just before Zazzt had fallen, and was too strong for it to have been a separate entity that was now struggling to gain control. But - if the sight before her was no ruse, then the child was the only other option. She began to wonder more about him - was it even possible for a human [i:onimpjbs]child[/i:onimpjbs] to do this? But that race was full of weaklings! She shook her head and glanced back at Zazzt, ignorance clouding her thoughts. It wasn't possible that the child had anything to do with it, she decided.
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Slowly, Zazzt's contortions stopped, and he stood up, his face back to its normal imperious glare, "Forgive that slight interruption, that foolish girl caught me at a bad time." Never taking his eyes off of the child, he spoke to the elven maiden, "In any case, your accusations, just as your shields, ring hollow to me, if this is the product of your life-long devotion to the Art, then I must tell you now. Leave, this path is not for you." He smiled, "As for your teacher, well perhaps I should summon my master, and you yours, and we should let them talk this out?" He looked at the swords, "You say you have studied magic most of your life? Then please oblige me, untrained fool that I am, by telling me what you know of liches." His attention was turned upon her now, deciding that the child was a lost cause. It would have been perfectly within his power to bull through her sheilds, but that might not be the best course, he decided.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli sighed, face blank. [i:2q5k6e7q]"How boring."[/i:2q5k6e7q] He thought, releasing his grip. "I'll be on my way then, no use for the likes of me to be here while your masters are speaking." His voice had returned to being cold and uninterested in the two; he didn't quite feel like acting anymore, and they'd seem to have lost interest in him in lieu for quarreling with eachother. This would be a good time to slip away. He began climbing the tree, almost lizard like, and grabbed the bow he'd hung from it's branches whilst he sat there.

"Good day," he said with a half hearted salute, deciding that East was where he was headed next. He casually began walking away, hoping the less rushed he seemed the less suspicious he would be. He didn't want to be around should their masters appear, anyway; if Zazzt alerted them he was not truly a child and they were to figure out his true identity, he'd surely be in great trouble. His former self was... not particularly well looked upon in the magical world.
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Her mocking laugh echoed through the forest. "Call our masters, shall we? Are you too afraid to fight without yours? You feel more powerful with the image of a Lich behind your back? I have no master. I don't need to depend on anything." She gestured to her swords, "Tell me, then. If you're powerful enough to break through my shields, how is it that you cannot control that body of yours and its true occupant?" Call her master? She shut out memories of that old fool, gritting her teeth. Just his mention put her on edge. He was the reason she was here right now. That useless, irritating old fool was behind it all.

She glanced at Eli, then turned to follow him. The only way she could find civilization was if this child showed her, and she was not about to let that sweet dream drift away because of a Drow. She looked back at Zazzt and added, "I'm not wasting my time with the likes of you." She walked after Eli and smiled, hoping it looked real enough as she inwardly cursed at her own luck. As if being cast out of her home wasn't good enough, she was forced to literally beg a human brat to show her the way to civilization so that she - who had never before needed to earn money in her life - could find a good wage to keep her existence. "I will walk with you, then, shall I?"

Not giving him a chance to speak, she threw an arm around his neck and walked forwards. She glanced back at Zazzt, dispelling the now useless shield before him and turned to face the road East. A part of her wanted to turn back and fight him, but a larger, more pragmatic part told her to follow the child. One Drow probably meant a few - the cowards didn't dare venture out alone here, did they? She just needed a damn job. Once that priority was taken care of, she could indulge in a few others. Curiosity piqued as she wondered who Zazzt really was. The other voice had said it was her body - for it had sounded like a woman - and that she had been transformed? She shook her head. It wasn't her business. Nothing was. She'd follow the child, get a good job, and then she'd be able to leave this continent in a few years.

One day. One day, she'd go back, leave these accursed lands forever.

How she wished that day would come soon.

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt pointed a finger at the child, and he suddenly was levitating three feet off the ground, legs dangling helplessly. With a flick of his wrist, Zazzt sent the boy back to Lilianna, "Contain your child, please." And to the boy, "Oh, but it would be remiss of me to let a young boy such as yourself, to wander these wild parts all by yourself. I believe that your nanny here would agree with me. Since she professes great talent in the Art, she can simply whisk you boh away somewhere, and there would be no need to trust in your sense of direction, since it has already gotten you lost, little one." As an after thought, he pulled out a fair sized coin pouch, and tossed it to the ground by the boy's feet. It opened and gold and platinum coins spilled out, "May these provide your mother with health and longevity, there should be enough there to sustain you and your family for a long time. Oh, and you need not fear, there are no latent spells on them. Fare thee well." Zazzt bowed to the two, and raising his hood again, placed the red orb in his pack, causing it's heat to dissipate, bringing back the cold, more acutely than before, it seemed. Sitting down on his disc, Zazzt slowly drifted past the two, placing a hand on the boy's shoulder.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli had no time to be taken back by the arm around his shoulder before he was taken back by being suddenly thrown about. [i:32fukoam]"Bastard,"[/i:32fukoam] he mumbled, collecting himself. He pocketed the coins greedily, but this time didn't pretend to be thankful or give a childish smile. One good thing came from Zazzt; he'd now be able to regain the powers he'd been suspicious to him having. All he had to do was get into town, a store owner, a flower patch, his potion would be complete and there would be no need to refuel for another week. He slapped his hand forcefully from his shoulder. "I know where I'm going, but know this; I'm not your rag doll. Neither of you. You cannot treat me anyway you please simply because I'm human."

He glanced up at Lilianna briefly, whispering something along the lines of [i:32fukoam]"Not that you two would know anything about humanity,"[/i:32fukoam] but it could not be said for sure. The Elf was slightly growing on him, though he hated to admit. The Drow, however, was not. He prayed to nobody in particular that he would likewise not follow them into the village. It was getting harder and hardly to resist slitting his throat.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt chuckled, "Ware your thoghts, lest they betray you. And I suppose all lost people know the direction they wish to travel?" Zazzt looked at the boy, and with a wave of his hand, a wall of fire srang up between the two and Lilianna. The wall roared loudly, against the cold, and stretched out for almost a dozen feet to either side of Eli and Zazzt, who slid off his disc once again, and looked at the child, "Now, enough of this foolishness, who are you? I know you are no ordinary boy, your elven stooge cannot hear us, I assure you, and I may be able to help return you to your original body, ic you so wish. If you fear I am some sort of paladin or cleric in disguise, you need not fear, your secret is safe with me."

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli looked around in surprise, appearing nervous for a minute- but only a minute. He crossed his arms and stared blankly at Zazzt. "What does it matter to you?" he hissed through clenched teeth, voice dripping with annoyance. "You know nothing of me or of my predicament, Drow. I suggest you lower your wall and let me be on my way." He obviously knew that Eli was not what is seemed; it was no use is continuing his childish whining.

The boy twitched and stepped farther away from the fire. Clay and flames did not mix well. "Lower it immediately."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

"Very well," witha wave of his hand, the flames died down, Zazzt's voice rang out inside the boy's mind, " You are correct, I know nothing of your predicament, therefore enlighten me. I can assure you there are better vessels to use than this boy." Looking at Lilianna, he smiled, "Control it's true occupant, you say? You are looking at him, this is my body, and I would never leave it. There is no need, I like it here." He smiled, "Fromyou answer, I can assume you know nothing of liches. Allow me to enlighten you. There are two stages, first there is the averageich, a spell caster who's magic transcended death, and allows his sentience to survive in the caster's dead body. However, thatis not all there is to a lich. After many years of existance, even that magic begins to fail, and the caster is forced to abandon all but a single part of his body, usually the skull, although it need not be. But in doing so, the now demilich gets unimaginable power. They become immune to the majority of spells, and the truely powerful demiliches sometimes acheive the ultimate goal."

OOC the link to demilich stats is http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

"Idiot." he spat back to Zazzt, though it similarly entered his mind. "I didn't [i:1w2feaka]steal[/i:1w2feaka] this blasted boy! I am not so meager." A thin but unnaturally wide smile crossed his lips, revealing a row of pointed teeth. "I made him! And this form is well suited for the element of surprise, if I hold my tongue long enough fools like you will believe me to be but a human child and take pity upon me until I can take what I want from them. Plus-" he thought, waiting a second to check that the gold he'd been given wasn't laced with anything before continuing, and briefly observing Lilianna, "I can change him into anything I want. This isn't flesh I wear. However, it's best to refrain from an older form; the less obvious I appear, the more at bay my enemies will be. It was simply hard keeping my manner of speech under disguise with you, unusually obnoxious as you are."

Not that he acted quite his age, anyway. He stuck out his tongue briefly at the Drow before turning in the other direction.
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Lilianna returned Zazzt's smile with a scowl. Would this man never stop talking? "I'm no fool - I know what a Lich is. Tell me then. Did Mystra herself give the power to become a Lich? Typical of a human deity, wasting her power on the likes of you."

She pauses for a moment, her brow furrowing slightly, "And your ultimate goal is what? World domination? Making sure you trick children into hurting themselves every day?" She glanced at Eli, while thinking of something else to say to Zazzt. His presence unnerved her. If he was a Lich, she had felt nothing unnatural about him since he had come, and that was strange. Were her senses dulling? Hopefully she'd never have to find out - all she needed was for the boy to start. Even if Zazzt came along, at least she'd be rid of both of their annoying souls at that gate.

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt laughed, "I am no lich, nor do I intend to become one. My master has probed the deapths of magic, and become the more powerful for it." His eyes widen a little as he recieved the next thought, "Fascinating, crafting an artificial form, a variant on simulcarum or clone spell, perhaps? In any case, I have no magic to compete with that." He mentally chuckled, "All my spells are focused on attacking and defending... Ah, the stories I could tell you... In any case, perhaps we could find something of mutual benefit in a partnership. Varying such powerful spells as those requires magical aptitude, I am most impressed Eli." Turning his mind back to his physical conversation with Lilianna, he smiled disarmingly, "MasMe, you hurt me with your accusations, world domination, there are more worlds than this one to be had in the multiverse, or have you not been introduced to the Nine Hells, or Mechanus? Fascinating places, each and every one if them. But nay, the goal I speak of is nothig less than godhood, my dear Lilianna, although you need not fear, my master still has a long ways to got before acheiving that."

Zyeke