The Art of Magic

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli frowned deeply, almost unnaturally so. [i:11hwd7pt]"What manner of fool is this who summons such a creature for something so remedial?!"[/i:11hwd7pt] he snapped internally; it seemed as he felt that he, himself, was the only one worth talking to. If he could have broken out into nervous sweat, he would have. Teleportation used to be a snap, but now he could only stand idly by and wait for the outcome. He clicked his tongue in annoyance.

Something about the Lich seemed familiar though; surely the recognition wouldn't be returned in this state, but as his former power laid in the control of various demons it was not unlikely. Perhaps, even, he was an allie; but the risk of his location getting out to his enemies was nowheres near worth it.

"P-Pardon me!" he yelped, trying his best to seem fearful of the thing's frightening appearance. "I do my best to not associate with things of the demonic- er- origin; my father would surely chastise me. I'm sure I can find the herb on my own, it, uh, grows best in cold weather you know; however, I thank you all for your kindness. I am... truly humbled." The boy attempted to back away softly, but his exit was blocked by the great try he had only moments before been hanging from.
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

As Zazzt brought his master into view, Lilianna grabbed Eli and pushed him behind her.

"You keep that thing away from him!" she snapped, amber eyes blazing with anger. "Typical for your kind to consort with Liches. Keep the child out of it! What kind of Drow are you? I'm surprised neither of you have decided to backstab each other yet."

She stood between Zazzt and Eli, her desire to protect the strange child overruling her wish to get away from the Drow and his strange company.
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Zazzt sighed and stepped through the lich, which dissipated into harmless mist once again, "Twas only an illusion," He said smiling, "Lady Mystra forbids me to consort with things of 'demonic origin' as you called him." He smiled, and nodded his head appolgetically, "Forgive me, but it appears that the cold has gotten to you, little one. Did you not feel pain when you leaned on your arm just now?"
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

[i:3cb4jnmc]"What sort of game is he playing?"[/i:3cb4jnmc] Eli thought to himself, clutching onto Lilianna's arm in an attempt to keep of the ruse. [i:3cb4jnmc]"A little bit sadistic to pit such an illusion on a child."[/i:3cb4jnmc]

He slunk his head farther back into his shadowy hood, trying to hide the fact that he couldn't weep in fear like a young boy might in this situation. After all, even the illusion of a Lich to a human child would be a terrifying sight. But it was just that; an illusion. The fact that Eli couldn't tell the difference right away meant his powers were getting weaker and weaker. He had no more time to waste on these fools.

"Aye, sir- my arm?" he squeaked, dark eyes, nearly matching his pupils in colour, narrowing angrily. To be forced to act in such a way was a disgrace, especially to someone of his stature! Still, he continued. "I suppose it did t-twist a fair bit. The cold has rendered me n-numb, my limbs can hardly feel, you see." Once again he forgot to shiver, but he rubbed his arms with two gloved hands as if cold. In reality, his flesh was mainly formed of clay; while this allowed him to take a variety of shapes and blows to his body, he could not feel, nor eat, nor all that once made him human. It was only supposed to be a temporary vessel, but 'temporary' had turned into a good year and his impatience grew with every day.
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

"Mystra? You follow a weak human god?" her snort was mocking "And what was the purpose of bringing out such an illusion? Now you've frightened him!"

She gently touched Eli's hood in an attempt to be comforting. "It's gone now," she whispered soothingly, "Come. Let's get you to your parents. No doubt they'd be worried about you. They'll have a nice warm fire for you, too." In truth, she wasn't too sure if human parents cared much about their children. She had never met more than a few humans - all rude and unmannerly - and had been taught very little about them, most of her thoughts left to the stereotypes about barbaric humans among her kind. How she wished she were back on Evermeet. The fact that she had been forced to leave made it impossible, yet how she wished. She looked at Eli, wondering again if his parents were like hers; if they were sick with worry about their child as well.

Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

"Eh." Eli stared blankly at his feet for a moment, still clinging to the Elf. He hadn't considered that she'd lead him back to his fictional home, even with her motherly nature.

[i:2huw7f7h]"What shall I do?"[/i:2huw7f7h] he pondered, eyes racing. He fiddled absentmindedly with a large chunk of the mud coloured hair which poked through the front of his hood, the rest slicked back messily. Looking up, he seemed to smile at her comforting tone. "They should be in the nearest village, miss." He whispered quietly, "But I'm lost, as I said before."

Truthfully, he had no idea where the next village was; however, with all these travelers about, he knew there had to be one close by. But when she discovered he'd been lying-? What then? He supposed by then his energy would have restored enough to kill someone as unsuspecting as she quite easily, but a murder on his hands once again was laced with the risk of drawing attention. On top of that, she had nothing he could take. He sighed to himself. Before, blood on his hands had been a light manner. Oh, how he longed for those days. Regardless of how he rid himself of her in the end, civilization might hold some answers to his main predicament.

He tilted his head as if inquisitive. "Will you take me there?"
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt glared at Lilianna, but otherwise ignored her. "Well, I might be able to help in that situation... I have this spell, allows me to track ancestry with only a little bit of blood, and it should tell me the names of your parents, if you wish, I will repeat all of this under a truth spell to show you I am not lying." Zazzt looked at the child, "Come, tis very simply done. A prick of the finger a drop of blood, and I find out your parents' names, and with that I can scry them, whereever they might be." He drew a dagger out of the folds of his robe, revealing a bandoleer of wands, most of which glowed with barely contained power, and handed the dagger, hilt first, to the child.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

"I think I very well know the name of my own parents," hissed Eli through clenched teeth, his original cold, unkind voice getting the better of him as he clung harder to the Elf at the sight of the dagger. "And as soon as I get to my village, I can very well find my own home. Dimwitted brute, what kind of child wouldn't-"

He bit his lip and growled under his breath, looking up again as innocently as he could and taking the dagger as if out of curiosity, turning it around in his hands. He didn't intend to prick a thing, but it was good to have, just in case. Buffoons, both of them. He didn't even [i:3ek5ghnf]have[/i:3ek5ghnf] the blood to shed if he wanted to. It was becoming more and more obvious his smile was forced. "Pardon my temper." The clay boy twitched, bowing again slightly, "But this won't be necessary. I'm sure [i:3ek5ghnf]she[/i:3ek5ghnf] (being the less threatening of the two, of course) can help me return again; her healing powers could be helpful to my... mother, too. This Miss, uh, Miss-?"

It had only just occurred to him he was clueless as to his company.

Eli let out a nearly silent frustrated gurgle under his breath and mumbled flatly; "What are your names, anyhow?"
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt only smiled, "You are no child." With a snap of his fingers, the dagger returned to his hand, "No child would speak to me like that, not that many times over." He sheathed the dagger again. "Why don't you tell us your name first, and then I will tell you mine." He smiled, "In fact, why doesn't this wonderful elf lower her shield, or I will take it down myself. The fact that you have cast it already tells me that you have magic you want kept secret, a dangerous thing to do in these wild parts." Zazzt reached into his pack, and drew out a staff. It was an ornate affair, covered with pulsing runes, and mithril filigree rose up its sides, forming a cup around a large fist sized ruby. The staff exuded magical power, and the ruby gleamed with an almost intelligently. "Come, I am no minor mage myself. I know what magic can do. How old are you, actually?"

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli looked at him blankly, raising an eyebrow. He seemed, for once, vaguely amused. "My name is Eli." He chirped with a wide smirk; of course, this name was fake- just the name he'd assigned to this vessel. "And I'm 13 years old. If you'd like the round it out, good sir, you could even say approaching 14!" It didn't bother him a bit to lie through his teeth.

He let go of the Elf, pausing to click his finger to his teeth in an annoyed manner. It was a habit of his. He was sure that Lilianna, being wary of Zazzt, would believe him should he continue this ruse; whether or not the Drow would think otherwise was a different story, but should he simply frustrate the traveler it would still be of entertainment value. [i:2s40szmp]"If you think children don't speak out against their elders in this day and age, you obviously haven't spent a lot of time around humans,"[/i:2s40szmp] he whispered to himself offhandedly.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt smiled, "It appears you have underestimated drow, we live on intrigue. Body stealing spells are a dime a dozen in my city, we are even called the Lost City, for we do not exist in a set location. We are just about everywhere." He yawned, "Who is the child that you took over?"

Zyeke
Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

[i:1ecaec3c]"Implying that I took over an innocent child just as someone took over my body-"[/i:1ecaec3c] he snapped to himself internally, [i:1ecaec3c]"That I'd choose such a weak vessel, to boot."[/i:1ecaec3c] Of course he'd made the body himself, which is why he lacked the blood for pricking, pain for arm bending, and shivering for the cold. Any fool could make one; some clay, a pig's heart, a few decent spells. Not that a fool like this would know. Appearing to be a child simply helped keep enemies unaware.

"I was born as I am," he said innocently, tilting his head. "I am Eli." This wasn't entirely untrue. The former sorcerer tried his best not to smile. This Drow just wouldn't shut up. He amused him to no end, but Eli still preferred not to raise another brawl; foes were everywhere, if the one now inhabiting his original body got word of his whereabouts he would kill him for sure. He wasn't going to die inside this child, though his arm twitched in anticipation; [i:1ecaec3c]"Calm down, he's provoking you on purpose!"[/i:1ecaec3c]

"Sir, I have no quarrel with you."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt looked at the child, "Well, then I suppose you won't mind pricking yourself, a simple test to see if you are who you say you are." He took a step forward, and even though he was far away from the boy, he suddenly reappeared behind him, kneeling, eyes on equal level. "You see, a person who has been taken over, their blood changes a very subtle change, not detectable unless you know what it is." With a snap of his fingers, the sheilding spell around the child collapsed and his hand went into his pack again, drawing that same cane. A wicked smile spread over Zazzt's face, "Child, who are you, one last time."

Zyeke
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Lilianna's eyes widened with the ease at which the Drow dispelled her shield around Eli. Hiding her shock behind a scowl, she grabbed Eli and pulled him behind her. She was still unsure as to whether or not Eli was truly a child, having absolutely no knowledge of human customs, but she'd be damned if she let the Drow touch him.

"Come near him and die," she snarled. The wind around them rose to a howl, twirling around the three very different travelers. "Who he is matters not. There will be no blood for you today, Drow." her voice dripped with contempt at the last word.

Immediately, twelve swords surrounded her and Eli, hanging motionless in the air. The ends and edges of each tinged with a slight red - poison. Beneath the howl, she turned to Eli and smiled reassuringly. "He'll not harm you, l-Eli. I am called Lilianna. I will get you home safely."

Eli
Maid
Maid

Post by Eli »

Eli was taken by surprise as he was pushed backwards, stumbling once and almost losing his balance. He clicked his fingers against his teeth once more. Part of him felt the urge to battle, made his limbs almost shiver in excitement; just a mere taste of that sweet chaos. However, his energy was still lowering by the minute. He required potions to keep his spirit (and his abilities) attached to his vessel, and gold for such ingredients had he not; though perhaps, should this Elf truly take him into town without injury, he could retrieve what he needed and regain some of his power.

He toyed with one of the arrows stuck within the material around his chest, wondering if he had time to retrieve the bow he'd left up in the tree- not that the sorcerer was very good with weapons, anyway. Eli growled to himself, deciding it was best to see how this played out before entering the ring. The elf could not be underestimated, after all; she looked quite powerful. Then again, so did the Drow.

His sour expression changed to one of fear as he grabbed onto Lilianna's arm again, crying out "Oh, kind thanks, ma'am! Don't let him hurt me!" and nonsensical blubbering. When she finally turned away from him, he shot Zazzt an evil, mocking sort of grin. For a supposed human child, his teeth were quite... pointed. For a centuries old sorcerer, he wasn't very mature.