The Long Road

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

{{So sorry for the late reply. ><}}

She grins a bit at his small quip and nods in thanks when he offers her his cloak. Getting up as he leaves the camp, Niz'tar'a takes the cloak and wraps it around herself tightly. She walks back to the fire quickly, wondering again as to how he was sleeping so far from its warmth.

She watches the moon as it follows its never-ending route, her breath coming up in mists that trail upwards towards the sky to be lost with the faint smoke coming from the fire. Slowly allowing her mind to rest, she slips into a light reverie, although it feels as if only a for few minutes before Leaf announces himself.

She starts, then stands up, regretting it at once as she turns away from the fire. She takes the rabbit and smiles slightly, taking a few of the vegetables as well so that his hands weren't full. "Luck definitely seems to favour us."

Placing the vegetables in the pot and hanging it over the fire, she pulls out a small knife with smoothed wood for a handle and crouches near, beginning to skin and gut the rabbit.
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
Xaraphim
Maid
Maid

Post by Xaraphim »

((Likewise , my apologies. For some reason this site won't send me an email when this particular post has been replied to. Odd...))

"Quite so, quite so," he says with a faint smile.

He settles down on a nearby log within the radius of the firelight; it is not as comforting as the welcome embrace of the cold, but he has no desire to be rude.

He stretches languidly and sighs, then simply remains quiet as he watches the drow prepare the rabbit.

"If you need a hand with anything I'd be more than willing to help," he says after a minute or so. "Just say the word."
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

{{Are you sure you have that box checked?}}

She looks up and smiles, shaking her head and showing him the rabbit. "Almost done, anyway." She finishes her task and tosses the diced meat into the pot, currently bubbling and filled with the vegetables Leaf had brought.

Grabbing a stick from the pile near the edge of a camp, she sat down just close enough to the fire that the heat wasn't too uncomfortable and began pressing the rabbit to the bottom of the pan, hoping ot have it cooked quickly - she preferred her meat rare.

While working, she glances over at him often, curiosity clear within glittering red irises. Finally, she looks over at him and speaks, "You don't live close to here?"

Xaraphim
Maid
Maid

Post by Xaraphim »

He thinks for a minute, his gaze moving skyward.

"I suppose that I do, in a sense. Wherever I happen to sleep is where I live, so to speak."

He comes closer to the fire, drawing his legs underneath him as he rests on the ground.

"It has been some time since I actually had four walls and a roof on a regular basis. Lately I've taken a certain fondness to the wilderness. Their is a certain appeal to being able to rely on your wits alone to survive."

He grins, red eyes gleaming. "Of course, I don't object to the occasional bit of conversation now and again."
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

She nods, hugging her legs and resting her chin on her knees.

"Same for me, I think. Although I don't have any to have conversation with. They think I am there to kill them most times." the corner of her mouth twitched, "This is ... you call ... wilderness?" she swept her hand out, indicating the cold, snow-covered ground around them.

She took a bit of snow and watched as the wind blew it across the fire, making a near-opaque curtain of flying snow for a moment. "It seems ... lonely. Too lonely."

Xaraphim
Maid
Maid

Post by Xaraphim »

His gaze moves to the periphery of the camp, then back to his companion, his thoughts unknowable behind his mask of serene calm. He is content to sit there on the log and listen to the drow.

He tilts his head at something she says. "I take it you aren't currently occupied with a killing spree then?" He grins, then laughs and holds up a hand. "I tease of course."

He regards the other woman thoughtfully and considers for the first time how brief mortal lives are. Only a few short years of no companionship must seem like quite some time for her. He mentally chides himself for his lack of tact, gauging the woman's reaction before embarrassing himself further.
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Wary irritation crosses her gaze before she realizes his joke. Smiling, she chuckles a little as well.

"You are definitely the first one to joke about it. I can't truthfully say it has been a while since one, though." She drops her gaze to her hands, then looks up , "Maybe this ... solitude ... isn't as bad an idea as I could have thought." She suppresses a sigh, rubbing her hands together and shifting closer to the fire.

She stirs the pot a final time and moves it off the fire, settling it against the snow. She digs through her pack for something to hold the meal in and looks over at him.

"Will you eat?"

Shai'ira
Maid
Maid

Post by Shai'ira »

[b:5db682ig]oOC.:(May I?)

+The sound of gravel and debris being compressed further into the ground was drawing nearer upon the road. It sounded similar to the steady pace of a carriage or wagon of the sorts. Around the bend, the source of the sound came into view. Though it remained in shadow it was obvious that first it was the head of a petite pony, its shoulders, then the remainder of its body. Attached to the poor animal was a tiny cart. The silhouette of its conductor was equally as small, almost childlike. A lone voice echoed and carried far ahead of them, simply chatting away, without doubt reaching the ears of its current visitors. It sounded very childlike and musical. More than halfway before the improvised encampment, finally, the moon in all its magnificence graced them in light. +

[color=darkblue:5db682ig]“…and then we asked him to change into his familiar. Nassana, turned the gloat into a mouse! Can you imagine? A plump boy like him, a mouse? It was very humorous, because his familiar was supposed to be a wolverine…like mine. Nassana said it should’ve been a pig! Yes…even though he was a tyrant, I will miss ol’ Thayde and his tubbiness...”[/color:5db682ig]

+It was a child, a male, wood elf to be exact. He clicked his tongue to encourage the pony to move more swiftly. His laughter sounded so peaceful and carefree, the type to make anyone listen, and reminisce on the youthful days. Cheeks cold and breath apparent, the boy raised his head lastly and saw what lay further on before him and his companion. His eyes widened in curiosity and amazement, as if seeing something for the first time. The pony gradually halted, sensing his guide’s slacken hold on the reins. He quickly turned around in his seat, hands tightly gripping the rear, his face clearly presenting excitement, despite the cold. When he did this his companion’s anonymity was revealed. She sat up erect, hands set in her lap, and legs crossed together. The lady was seated at the end of the cart, legs daggling off the edge. Her head was tilted slightly downward, eyes closed. As if, ignoring everything, including the child.+

+It was very evident on who and what she was. Large, ram-like horns curled about her head. It was not just one set of horns either, but multiple, curled up and over, down and behind. This characteristic gave the most away, the rest were left in shadow. Her fingers were longer than most, but not too long or spidery. The way she dressed was very elaborate, and she ornamented her horns and hair equally, as if she was making up for something. Light tresses caressed and coddled her face. It was very long, and was the color of mauve, in unison very unusual and attractive. A soft sigh escaped her mouth, as the boy turned around again just as quickly, clicking again to his pony. The woman bounced from side to side, as the wheels ran unevenly over the gravel. They were an unusual duo traveling together. Their pace had quickened, she only moved to tighten her heavy cloak.+[/b:5db682ig]
Tali Feldireil
Maid
Maid

Post by Tali Feldireil »

[b:k7djlqov][color=darkgreen:k7djlqov]“Look, Lady Shai’ira! It seems a drow has decided to take camp. Something I suggested far earlier in the day…”[/color:k7djlqov]

>His youthful voice was ecstatic. When he said ‘drow’, his voiced slightly elevated in pitch. Their own dilapidated wagon stopped just 12 feet away from the fire and its owners. He stood up quickly, and jumped from the side of his elevated position. He was a young wood elf, still very green behind the ears. By surprise a wolverine lay next to the now vacant spot, it sniffed at the air as it began to stand up.<

>The young wood elf landed quietly upon the earth, he stood at 5’4” and his stature was very slender. Almost like he hadn’t eaten for awhile, but his disposition did not reveal it. He patted the pony’s rear praising it. Comically dust seemed to fly off from its body. Still standing there, he presented the two strangers with an innocent smile, uncertain of how his companion would react to them or them to themselves. <[/b:k7djlqov]
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

{{Welcome, both of you. =D }}

Niz'tar'a turned at the sound of the newcomers, her bowl already half-finished. Drawing her cloak around her, she stood and peered off into the dark, the moonlight rendering her night-vision useless.

The Drow folded her arms within her sleeves and stared at the wagon and its owners. She smiled at them and called out in broken Common, "Would you like join here?" Her fingers stroked the clasps that kept her knives secured against her arm, gently loosening both straps on each arm in case she had need of them. She had come to realize on her time above ground that her cousins held much less love for her race than did humans, and could probably count the ones that had not attempted to take her life on one hand. Yet she had no wish to die tonight, and it did not escape her that the stranger was a surface elf, and the second might be as well - the back of the wagon was too shadowed for her to tell. Cursing the strange lighting above the surface, Niz'tar'a stepped forwards a little, failing in her attempt to see the other one.

Shai'ira
Maid
Maid

Post by Shai'ira »

[b:29uiw6bj]oOC.:(Thank you! :) )

[color=darkblue:29uiw6bj]“So it seems.”[/color:29uiw6bj]

+She smelled them already. Her long, lashes opened slowly, as she turned her head somewhat to get a good look at whom the boy was referring to, a strong-looking, beast who looked secretive and a handsome, female Drow. Her stare was vaguely seen, as she turned back to her former position. The ornaments in her hair chimed along with her movements. Shai’ira habitually stroked the forearm of her left hand, a tattoo of a serpent surrounded by intricate motifs...+

+...ran from her wrist, up, to just modestly before her elbow. When the cart stopped, her body went back faintly. Her brow furrowed down, they were a feeble sight indeed, a dusty pony, a ramshackle wagon to the point of pieces, and a boy who talked too much. Shai’ira couldn’t help but smirk. When she heard Tali’s descent, she cocked her brow slightly, turning her ear, intently listening to his every movement and gesture.+

[i:29uiw6bj]‘This boy must seek out trouble. It’s too much trouble for trouble to seek him out.’[/i:29uiw6bj]

+Shai’ira remained in her seated position. +[/b:29uiw6bj]
Tali Feldireil
Maid
Maid

Post by Tali Feldireil »

[b:3j64l8l2]oOC.:(Thank you Arya!)

>The wolverine’s ear perched forward hearing the subtle movement of the female Drow’s fingers, taking on a cautionary stance. Tali, however, was oblivious. It would take many months and time to hone his survival skills and senses. Given his history with the Drow race, he was surprisingly pleasant. Tali Feldireil told himself, that he had to remain optimistic and that the world could not be wholly evil for he had found goodness in the most questionable parts. And the past, no matter how terrible, was the past. He shook his head, finding himself deep in thought and reminiscing woe. <

> His lips thinned out in a neutral expression. Tali noticed the female Drow step forward from her camp and partner whom he found somewhat foreboding. He eyed the long fingernails of the other occupant, his eyebrows raised. Then she spoke, Tali tilted his head slightly, his face crinkled into a humored expression. Her speech took him by surprise, and he found himself smirking. Quickly though he erased it, finding it almost certainly rude. His youthful features broke into a smile, his gentle brown eyes alive and on fire. <

[color=darkgreen:3j64l8l2]“Yes, thank you for your invitation! We will most certainly not deny your kindness. My name is Tali Feldireil, wood elf Druid, and this is my familiar Kirill. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, my lady. On this fine, quiet, chilly night….”[/color:3j64l8l2]

>His words were rushed. Tali gave a nervous laugh, and blushed. He scratched his head as he mentally scolded himself for being a buffoon and talking too much. For a female Drow, he found her quite attractive and held a beautiful glow due to her darker skin. He hadn’t seen many in his travels, so this was a new, unique moment for him. In those simple moments he realized his forgot about his companion, his lovely traveling partner, whom to Tali was both striking and surreal alike. He blushed again. He was a true adolescent boy. He coughed hoping Shai’ira would not be uncouth and declare herself.<[/b:3j64l8l2]
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

She nodded, bowing ever so slightly in acknowledgment, "I am known as Niz'tar'a." She lifted one arm and gestured to the campfire, slipping it back within her sleeve right after, though making it fluid enough that it did not seem rushed, feeling comforted by the cold steel. "It is a pleasure to make ..." she paused for a moment, her eyes narrowing slightly as she tried to remember something. She continued after a few seconds, grimacing in annoyance at the language barrier, " your ... acquaintance, I think?" The last bit was added softly at the end, to rectify any mistake she may have made in answering the elf. Her gaze never left Tali all the while. She could not trust him; she didn't think she ever would, for the duration of their visit, if it lasted at all.

His rushed speech and jumpy nature set her on edge; her Drow nature called upon every action of his and brought several possibilities to mind, all of which ended in drawn steel. She sat down by the fire to calm her mind, her fingers gripped tightly around both arms, delighting in feeling the metal there. She would be ready for whatever happened. The corner of her mouth curved upwards in a hint of a smile as she attempted to be slightly more hospitable. Maybe this time she would have one elf to count as not having tried to kill her - though at once or at all still seemed up in the air.

Hope brought a warmer, truer smile to her face. She lifted a pot off the fire, "Are you two ... hungry? We have no bowls, but we have food." Each sentence she spoke ended on a slightly inquisitive tone.

She glanced back at the wagon, wondering if the other traveler would show herself. She was sure she had heard a soft, yet distinctly female voice a moment ago.

Shai'ira
Maid
Maid

Post by Shai'ira »

[b:lnv17n8v]+Shai’ira’s stomach gave a low growl, her brow furrowed downward in annoyance. She was hungry and her stomach was snitching her out. She felt the Drow’s tenseness. She smelled it. When the voice of the female stranger reached her ears promptly she stood from her settled arrangement. So swiftly, it almost seemed at the exact moment, when the words fell from the Drow’s lips. She was a tall figure indeed. Though it was her great horns that added to the impression.+

+Shai’ira moved from the cart, quickly, yet silently. Her long dress gave the illusion that she seemed to be floating, its patterns and complicated accessories looked to be alive all on their own, like a separate being. Her gaze was still caste downward. Then she spun suddenly, facing the direction of the others and Tali. Her lengthy hair wafted about her, adding a sense of exoticness to her savage form. Shai’ira extended her right arm out, her palm laid upward. Her fingers curled, bidding.+

[color=darkblue:lnv17n8v]“You are too eager, young Tali.” [/color:lnv17n8v]

+Was the simple phrase that she spoke. Her voice had a deeper, feminine hum to it, very authoritative and confident. Finally, she lifted her gaze, opening her eyes. They were captivating, yet ethereal. Her eyes were purely white, they almost seemed to glow. It was difficult to know whom her eyes rested upon. The layers of her dress lifted upward faintly, a slight air was encircling her. It was obvious now that she was a tiefling, a distrustful race by nature. Even though the child was more of a bother to her, she felt completely responsible for his safety. She was cautionary. Tali was extremely trustful, for all she knew the food could be poisoned.+

[color=darkblue:lnv17n8v]“Forgive me. However, your hospitality must be questioned.”[/color:lnv17n8v][/b:lnv17n8v]
Xaraphim
Maid
Maid

Post by Xaraphim »

Leaf regards the newcomers with a passive expression that does not change as the tense exchange takes place. He remains seated, knees drawn up to his chest, an air of depthless patience about him. He does not speak, he simply watches.

When the tiefling reveals herself his expression does not change; he remains inscrutable outwardly though he is careful to take stock of these strangers. It would be unbecoming of him to be rude, but lack of a healthy sense of caution could prove fatal.