Hard Landing

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

OOC: Sorry, I meant as in keeping within distance, a monk is trained for speed, and a 12 lvl monk has a speed bonus of +40, making my guy's speed 70, before adding in magic Items... So, idk if your speed is increased above like 100, Elwyn paces you.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

OOC: It's not just the speed, Elwyn- although a dervish gets a speed bonus as well (+10)- it's the direction. A dervish makes a five-foot step as a free action that is part of the attack in any direction between each attack, as long as he does not re-enter a space he just vacated. This is in addition to the standard move action in that round before or after the attacks. He can also move at speed over nearly any terrain without penulties, even if he would normally be reduced to half speed otherwise. (Movement Mastery)

If the dervish has two-weapon fighting and whirlwind attack, he could make up to six five-foot steps between each of his attacks, and can use them to split his attacks between ANY targets within range, hitting up to his number of attacks in targets, split however he chooses. He can also make tumble checks as part of each move to avoid AOO's.

Thus, without knowing which direction he is going to move, a monk's speed bonus will not allow him to pace the dervish, because he only has one move action, and can't change direction like the dervish does. In other words, the bard is literally dancing circles around and between his targets! (picture a figure-skater on speed with a pair of sabers, mix in some Russian folk dance and Arabian sword dance, and you begin to get the idea...) The best he could do is try to get in a lucky counter-shot or two as the bard attempts to strike him before he moves again. Even with a speed of 70, a monk still can't keep up with the direction changes, because they are too unpredictable, and he only has one move, anyway.

Sorry to be such a rules-lawyer on this, I'm just pointing out why he can't do that...
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

OOC: Well, thats all very good and well, but in the 3.5 system, you do all your attacks and 5 foot steps, THEN it becomes my turn, and unless it says that a person wouldn't get the speed bonus against him, it would still apply. In real life, you would be right, but since we are doing a game system, its rules apply, not life's... anyway... we should get back to the story :P
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Gareth Ravenmantle
Regular

Post by Gareth Ravenmantle »

Gareth falls to his knees from the combo, He takes a deep breath and grunts getting up, He notices that Lothir is occupied with Elwyn so he creeps up and reaches around with his katar, Giving him 4 powerful smacks in the face and a push into Elwyn.

"You're, Not, Getting rid, of me, That easily."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Elwyn stepped past Lothir, and turned his attention to Gareth. Dashing up to him, Elwyn hopped into the air, bringing his rightfoot in a downward lunge, while some sand coalesed around it, making it into an impromtu hammer.

Zyeke
Gareth Ravenmantle
Regular

Gareth put his arms out to the sides and fell backwards and rolled away, landing on his feet. Elwyn then heard a slight metallic jingle from Gareth, He had reached into his pouch and pulled out throwing knifes, Sheathed at the tip.

In seconds five were whizzing in his direction.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Unwilling to halt his twist, Elwyn kept up his movement, throwing his arms out wide. The sand rose up around him, spinning rapidly, turning into a sort of sphere. However, he wasn't quite fast enough to deflect all 5, the first one manage to get past his defense, and just grazed his cheek. The rest, however, clanked uselessly off of his sand. Letting his defense drop into a rotating circle once again, Elwyn rolled forward, and swept his leg down low, and using it to pivot right under Gareth. His trailing leg snapped up, aiming for his chin.

Zyeke
Gareth Ravenmantle
Regular

Gareth powered his legs upwards, Elwyn's foot still inches away from his chin he leaned backwards in the air, Landed on his hands and rolled back onto his knees, Smacking Elwyn once in the leg with the side of his katar.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Elwyn let the katar's strike add to the momentum of his next move. He dropped his supporting leg out from under himself, and rolled over backwards, coming up on a foot, perfectly balanced. He smiled, "Oh, but this is great fun, my good friend. It has been a while since I have fought on the front lines... Perhaps I should do so more often?" He brought his other leg down, and clapped his hands together. He pulled them apart slowly, and the light seemed to glitter off of wires that stretched between his fingers, " Since we are all drawing weapons, perhaps it is time I joined the fray in earnest." He pulled his hands apart, and the wire unrolled, hanging in the air. Occasionally a tiny spark could be seen going down a strand. "I manipulate lightning, and in a metal, I have found that I can make it move as I wish, but changing the amount of lightning I put down the strand." He twitched his fingers, and the strands sliced forward, aiming for Gareth's katar.

Zyeke
Gareth Ravenmantle
Regular

Gareth easily and gracefully rolled, flipped, and dodged the thin wire, Throwing more daggers all of the time, Even improvising with some skills in arcane archer, making the daggers into flaming death he could throw, But for now he just used a spell of haste on his daggers, making them fly through the air like a bird in the wind.

"Don't even try, Im just too quick for you."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Elwyn's fingers twitched, and the wires wrapped around each dagger, halting them in mid flight. He only smiled, and this time, his wrists twitched, and once again, the wires flashed past Gareth, the daggers he had thrown coming right back at him, "Oh really?" The wires flashed, and suddenly a wall of the formed behind Gareth, the wires humming with electricity, and screeching as they cut through the air. Whenever one of them touched the rock floor, it left a deep furrow that smoked slightly. As Gareth neared the wall, it suddenly collapsed, Elwyn was breathing hard, arms shaking. "A very tiring thing, I usually avoid using it." He coughed, "It appears you have the upper hand now."
Last edited by NathreeDe'Shezbron on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zyeke
Gareth Ravenmantle
Regular

OOC: Yeah, okay, an electric wire that can form walls?
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

OOC: Have u seen hellsing? Look up Walter, this guys is practically he :) besides, this thing is very tiring, Elwyn would be practially paralyzed aftarwards.

Zyeke
Gareth Ravenmantle
Regular

OOC: Lol, Cool.

IC: Gareth rolled over to the destroyed rubble and picked up some rocks, Blocking some of the shots with the boulder, the rest seared into his clothing and burned him. When Elwyn paused for just a second he rolled over, kicked out his leg and tripped him, but soon regretted it because he opened a new wound on his shin from the rough ground.

"Gah, would you like to call a stalemate on this? You're tired to the point of passing out, and i think im opening this cut on my leg with every dodge i make, Besides we need to save the energy. Who knows what we might find in this cave..."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Elwyn chuckled, "Agreed, stalemate... if it were just the two of us." He reached into his pack and pulled out his 10 scrolls "It wouldn't have been though." Standing up, he walked over to Gareth, and offered him his hand, a big smile on his face, "It's been a while since I have had that much fun, you would have made a good puppet."

Zyeke