Infestation

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Zzadrina Kel'Shri
Maid
Maid

Post by Zzadrina Kel'Shri »

The 'lady monk' smiled.
[color=green:cvctthto]" Elenwe of the Shining Hand, under the God Azuth. I am both a monk and a sorceress, formerly of Athkatla, but now I adventure with this lass." [/color:cvctthto]She looked at Zzadrina, who raised her cup in assent.
[color=green:cvctthto]" And this is Zzadrina formerly of House Kel'Shri, a Bard and a Weapon Mistress of the Promenade Temple, I believe, under the goddess Lady Silverhair."[/color:cvctthto] She smiled in a long-suffering way to the little drow.
[color=darkblue:cvctthto]" You'll have to excuse my reticence, good follower of Torm. I am usually quite glib; being around untrusting villagers that would try to kill me on sight is somewhat of a damper on my raucous spirit. You say there is two other bards in the party? That is good, though most consider one bard in a party enough. Usually those without a sense of humor, but.."[/color:cvctthto] She gestured helplessly.
[color=darkblue:cvctthto]" There isn't much we can do change such a frozen sort, eh?"[/color:cvctthto]
" Hey Lil, what''''s going on in the world news today?"
" Some woman got whacked!"
"....Apparently, this is cause for celebration in Lil Land."
--My friend and I
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

I smiled broadly as I listened to Zzadrina's words on frozen sorts.

"Ahh Lady Zzadrina, maybe you have the right of it there. Insightful as well as charming. Anyway, I am honoured to meet you both of you," I added with a polite bow of the head.

"I must have missed you at the Promenade lady Zzadrina. Part of my remit is special envoy to the Temple of the Dark Dancer to see what aid or service Torm and his servants can give to your goddess and her faithful."

I took a sip of the dark ale, enjoying it's malty bitter taste.

"And to you lady Elenwe of Azuth, your skills with the weave and your prowess in fightings skills will be most a valuable addition to our investigation. Our prime task is to gather intelligence, onserve and report, not to directly engage unless given no other choice."
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Zzadrina Kel'Shri
Maid
Maid

[color=darkblue:3n9qicmk]" Good. We are quite skilled at both."[/color:3n9qicmk] She grinned momentarily at Elenwe before polishing off her ale and ordering another round for the table. The three talked for a little while, mostly pleasentries and of their past exploits like three soldiers after a long war that was finally over.
[color=darkblue:3n9qicmk]" So after somehow managing to orchestrate a moment of peace between Luskan and Neverwinter over the situation of Port Llast, Elenwe and I headed back to Athkatla in Amn by way of ship from Skullport, as there would probably be no ship in Waterdeep that would have carried me." [/color:3n9qicmk]Zzadrina said, spinning her tale with the usual relish and twist of words. Elenwe listened in silence, though she was usually smiling.
--My friend and I
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

"It is indeed a shame that you are judged by your appearance and not for who you are as an individual Lady Zzadrina. It is my hope that I may be able to pursuade people of the justness and goodness of those of your kind who follow Eilistraee. Torm has charged his fathful to aid all goodly faiths of the world and if the True God and champion of light see's it fit to stand along side Eilistraee, then perhaps attitudes may change. It is a dream I know but aren't dreams worth striving for?"
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Zzadrina Kel'Shri
Maid
Maid

Zzadrina looked pensive.
[color=darkblue:1pyl8lml]" I suppose, but it is highly unlikely. The number of good drow are so small compared to the evil, and even if we were the majority, people would still only see the evil. People are strange that way; very few can see both sides of a people or an argument."[/color:1pyl8lml] She took a sip of some strawberry wine.
[color=darkblue:1pyl8lml]" It is rare for someone to be judged on their self and their actions, rather than their race."[/color:1pyl8lml] She shrugged.
[color=darkblue:1pyl8lml]" But, I am content with my lot in life. I do not think about my race or the predisposed notions against me, really."[/color:1pyl8lml]
Elenwe smiled at her friend.
[color=green:1pyl8lml]" Of course, not only drow are persecuted. Half elves are targets for slings and arrows from the Tel-Quessir people, and even different subraces of elves themselves fight amongst another. It is ridiculous. Of course, the Elven Retreat to Evermeet by the Sun Elves and the Elven Decline over the centuries doesn't help to cool the fire, but it seems so pointless to fight if a group can band together and accomplish their goals, rather than bickering."[/color:1pyl8lml]
--My friend and I
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I nodded in sympathy as I listened to the two women recount the prejudices that they have encountered over their lives. I felt a moment of melancholy as I reflected on the evil of intolerance and racial bias. Humanity was no better than any other of the races.

"I fear you are both right good ladies. People from all races fight amongst themselves and each other since time immemorium. My own people have fought against each other and you would well know the mistrust and hatred engendered by humanitys rise on this world. It is a sad fact that all the worlds peoples and races can not see that there is enough to share and that life could be so much better if we all lived in peace. The suffering in the world would be reduced, evil would no longer have fuel to which to drive and inspire further acts of hatred and depravity. As I said...it is a dream I have...to imagine the world in peace..." I trailed off with a small sigh.

Zzadrina Kel'Shri
Maid
Maid

Elenwe and Zzadrina exchanged a glance. Paladins.
[color=green:vq1ouxw7]" You are quite right. It would be much better that way."[/color:vq1ouxw7]
[color=darkblue:vq1ouxw7]" But the world would be horridly boring otherwise, and our ' Protectors of the Weak' would be out of a job. You cannot have good without evil, it just isn't how the world was created. Challenges were made so that those who triumph become stronger and more capable to do whatever it is they need to do from helping a beggar, to freeing a whole nation of people." [/color:vq1ouxw7]Zzadrina shrugged, siphoning off her wine, which had come in a rather small portion. It was a somewhat bald statement, but true.
--My friend and I
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I grinned at Zzadrina.

"Well I wouldn't mind putting my feet up you know. Being out of a job as "protector of the weak" wouldn't be that bad all things considered. Yes, I'd settle back on a coastal spot somewhere, enjoy fishing, swimming in the surf and watching sunsets. I think I could handle that," I said with a wink.

"But you are also correct in that life without challenges becomes meaningless. What would be the point of existence but to make the next generation? And indeed, it is the striving that is worthy, that is what is the true test of character."

Zzadrina Kel'Shri
Maid
Maid

" I see your point. Even this bard would like to retire sometimes, with a nice home a some well-earned comforts."
[color=green:236wodoe]" Usually when we are trudging through the muck and ick of a dungeon."[/color:236wodoe] Elenwe remarked with a smirk, to which Zzadrina let out a low laugh.
[color=darkblue:236wodoe]" Those are really only the times I wish for such things. I have a long time ahead of me, I hope; too early to retire now!"[/color:236wodoe] Both women laughed softly.
[color=green:236wodoe]" What of yourself, Talwyn? Do you plan on working for Torm for the rest of your days?"[/color:236wodoe]
--My friend and I
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

"My life in in his hands Elenwe. If I am granted respite, it will be from a great service or deed that I have done in his honour. Torm is not a task master, he makes no demands of his faithful rather he inspires us to service. I have learnt one of the secrets of happiness you know. True reward and contentment is found in the selfless service to others," I said with an easy smile.

"And you are right, it is too early to talk of retirement now but I do like to ponder the things as well as hear the hopes and aspirations of others. It is indeed something that you think of as you wade through the gore of a battlefield or plough the stygian gloom of some dreadful cavern or crypt. I think that is what makes us different from the villagers. We choose to go into the fire, knowing that the asy option is there but instead step forward and take on the challenge."

Zzadrina Kel'Shri
Maid
Maid

[color=darkblue:50ti9ido]" They could try and do something if they wanted; it does not take anything but will and some courage for someone to step up and do something about their situation. I'll admit, sometimes it helps to be prodded or pushed into it by a strange twist of fate, but we are all capable of both great good and evil."[/color:50ti9ido] Zzadrina was strangely talkative about this subject, though it was usually popular with the paladin-types, she took to it like a spider to it's web. Elenwe watched her friend with slight amusement. She did not doubt Zzadrina and the paladin could talk about this for ages without her help.

While they spoke, the monk allowed her eyes to wander. The tavern had cleared out; they were the only ones in the taproom other than a man in a corner nursing his ale and looking loathe to go home. Infact, only their chatter and the crackling of the fireplace were heard in that quiet little establishment.

((Edit: Wow, we've filled more than a page. XD))
--My friend and I
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

"How right you are Lady Zzadrina. I could paraphrase an old expression if I may. Some are born to adventure, some have adventure thrust upon them and some achieve an adventuring life through perserverance.
As to all of us being capable of good and evil, that to is very true. It is all about the choices and decisions we make. That is why the code guides my actions and choices. It ensures that I do not stray nor act in an evil manner."

I looked around at the almost empty taproom. I was immensely enjoying the conversation with Zzadrina and her companion Elenwe. Poor Lothir is missing out on this fine company I mused. well no point in reflecting on lost opportunities.

"Ladies, may I have an indulgence from you? Since we are almost alone perhaps I may be permited to entertain you. I am no bard but have studied as a knightly troubador and have been said to have a fair singing voice," I said with a smile.

Zzadrina Kel'Shri
Maid
Maid

Zzadrina let out a soft chuckle, reaching down to her belt. Through much toil, she had aquired a Bag of Holding, which she always wore at her hip. From this, she pulled out a small lute.
[color=darkblue:1eaexbbm]" This instrument is magical; it's something I tricked out of a green dragon with a riddle game when I was knee high to a grasshopper, I think I was forty at the time. Say any instrument you want, and it will turn into it."[/color:1eaexbbm] She beamed.
[color=darkblue:1eaexbbm]" Though, my favorites persist to be the fiddle, the lute, and the flute. Though, I am partial to the tambourine when need arises. If we both know the same song, I would be happy to accompany you, though our current audience isn't too large, which serves me well enough."[/color:1eaexbbm]
--My friend and I
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I looked over the lovely instrument that Zzadrina had pulled out of her bag of holding. The craftsmenship was exquisite.

"A marvellous instrument and its ability to change must be a boon indeed for you. Now I would say that the song I had in mind would be unfamiliar to you Zzadrina but I will hum the melody for you so you can quickly pick up the tune. It's a song I learned while serving as a marine in the Tantran navy a few years back," I said with a smile as I reflected fondly on those glorious two years as a sailor and ships marine.

I hummed the tune for Zzadrina, allowing her to listen carefully as I went through the progression then repeated the tune again a couple more times as she quickly picked up the melody.

I nodded to her and counted her in. She played the opening refrain and then I began to sing softly with my tenor voice:

[i:3hj2x1kb]Lend me your body tonight my bluewater lady

This salty wind is getting to my bones

These warships sails are moving too slowly

For this saltwater paladin is sailing home

This old full helm is aching my shoulders

These iron shod boots don't need any spurs

To ride these waves and bare back mermaids

Ah the saltwater country is my home

Stand back you shallow water man,

Let a deep sea paladin through

For this saltwater paladin is sailing home[/i:3hj2x1kb]

Zzadrina Kel'Shri
Maid
Maid

Zzadrina smirked at his choice of song, but lended her fingers and the strings of her lute and her voice to the song. Her singing voice had a warm and bird-like quality to it, complimenting his well. Elenwe tapped her fingers on the table to keep time, but did not join in as she had no singing voice to speak of.
" Very nice." Zzadrina commented as she finished the song off with a speedy flourish.
" I believe it is my turn." She smiled, thought a moment, then played the opening to the next song after changing her lute to a fiddle that still allowed her to sing. She chose a bright cheerful song, better fitted to a large audience, though it was a personal favorite of hers. It was a song she had collected in a rather disreputable tavern in Skullport, though the patrons had all seemed amicable enough to her.

[i:wvb0om01]There is an inn, a merry old inn
beneath an old grey hill,
And there they brew a beer so brown
That the Man in the Moon himself came down
one night to drink his fill.

The ostler has a tipsy cat
that plays a five-stringed fiddle;
And up and down he runs his bow,
Now squeaking high, now purring low,
now sawing in the middle.

The landlord keeps a little dog
that is mighty fond of jokes;
When there's good cheer among the guests,
He cocks an ear at all the jests
and laughs until he chokes.

They also keep a hornéd cow
as proud as any queen;
But music turns her head like ale,
And makes her wave her tufted tail
and dance upon the green.

And O! the rows of silver dishes
and the store of silver spoons!
For Sunday there's a special pair,
And these they polish up with care
on Saturday afternoons.

The Man in the Moon was drinking deep,
and the cat began to wail;
A dish and a spoon on the table danced,
The cow in the garden madly pranced,
and the little dog chased his tail.

The Man in the Moon took another mug,
and rolled beneath his chair;
And there he dozed and dreamed of ale,
Till in the sky the stars were pale,
and dawn was in the air.

Then the ostler said to his tipsy cat:
"The white horses of the Moon,
They neigh and champ their silver bits;
But their master's been and drowned his wits,
and the Sun'll be rising soon!"

So the cat on his fiddle played hey-diddle-diddle,
a jig that would wake the dead:
He squeaked and sawed and quickened the tune,
While the landlord shook the Man in the Moon:
"It's after three!" he said.

They rolled the Man slowly up the hill
and bundled him into the Moon,
While his horses galloped up in rear,
And the cow came capering like a deer,
and a dish ran up with the spoon.

Now quicker the fiddle went deedle-dum-diddle;
the dog began to roar,
The cow and the horses stood on their heads;
The guests all bounded from their beds
and danced upon the floor.

With a ping and a pang the fiddle-strings broke!
the cow jumped over the Moon,
And the little dog laughed to see such fun,
And the Saturday dish went off at a run
with the silver Sunday spoon.

The round Moon rolled behind the hill,
as the Sun raised up her head.
She hardly believed her fiery eyes;
For though it was day, to her suprise
they all went back to bed.[/i:wvb0om01] [/size:wvb0om01]