Infestation

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

I rubbed my stubble covered chin deep in thought as I listened to the massive guard captains briefing and raised an eyebrow at his last missive to Rooky about there being three of us going out. What the hells was that all about? Maybe its time I took a closer interest in Rooky. After all, what is a Werewolf doing in the service of a good Drow goddess anyway? Sure I see the lunar connection but from the evidence and behavior she displays, she does not appear to adhere all that closely to the tenants and creed of the faith, well not from what I’ve seen so far. Treat strangers with kindness is a central tenant yet thats is hardly what Rooky embodies, more like growl, snarl and glares instead of a kind smile, gentle words and soft touch. It’s all very well being a mighty warrior, being an unstoppable force of nature but power without limits, ethics and a sense of morality is near as evil as you can get.

As the saying goes, with great power comes great responsibility and if Rooky has a track record of abandoning her companions to their deaths on a whim just because she doesn’t like them then she is as dammed as the Spiderkissers she seeks to destroy in the name of the Dark Dancer. Or worse, she actually lets her lycanthropy take over and murders her companions? I must be vigilant and alert but show no sign of my suspicions. I must delve further into Rooky’s character, her murky past and discover the answers before I can fully trust her.

Fixing a smile on my face I turned to the Captain.

“You have my thanks for the upfront pay and the generous gift of supplies. I understand the nature of the mission, collect intelligence, observe and not confront. With our numbers being few and having no true mage or priestess with us, that is the most prudent course to take in this matter.” He looked up from his hand of cards and nodded briefly before returning his attention to the game at hand.

Turning a way, I gathered up my share of the cash & equipment, taking what I presumed to be 3 healing potions. They hadn’t been labeled and no one has said what they are but I’m assuming they are healing draughts. Being fully equipped with weapons, I took none from the rack but instead left my 2 handed sword behind as well as my lute. They were superfluous to my needs. I’d already have a tinder box and flint in my pack and a good length, 100’ of 1” silk rope. I rummaged about and grabbed a few oil flasks, some iron spikes and extra torch. Since this is a scouting mission, taking any more is pointless. I went across to the cold fireplace and scooped up a few handfuls of soot and ashes and began to spread them over my armour and skin, blackening them down to as not to draw attention while in the open. I noticed a box of cleaning rags used by the guards for the weapons maintenance. Tearing the rags into strips, I wound them around my weapons and stuffed them between the various plates of my armour. It wasn’t a perfect job but it did muffle the clank of metal on metal quite considerably.

I noticed my companions staring curiously at me as well as a few of the guardsmen.

“It’s an old method used by the warriors of the Eastern Kingdoms,” I said in explanation. “If you muffle your weapons and armour with cloth, darken and break up the outline of your body then it makes for a reasonably effective camouflage. It’s no ghillie suit but it will suffice for now. ” The guard captain nodded thoughtfully once he understood the purpose of my activities. Mind you, I did look a sight: no longer all shiny and gleaming but clad in rags and covered in soot. It will do for the mission.

I looked across at Lothir as he produced a rose for Rooky. I think he’d have more luck if he handed her a dripping red raw haunch of beef than a flower but full marks to the lad for trying. At least he is showing kindness to a stranger.

“So gentlemen, you are both bards then eh? Do either of you have any experience in scouting, moving quietly or at least have the ability to cast Invisibility? Just to let you know that I have some small spell casting ability and have a few blessings that may be useful to us once we’re out in the field. Oh by the way, I wonder if either of you could set these lyrics to a good tune? I think it will make quite a good song” I asked as I pulled out a piece of paper and show the now curious drow bards. Rooky looked askance at me with mild irritation, wondering what I was up to now. The Drow bards read through the lyrics, both of them trying to keep smiles from spreading across their handsome faces as they immediately guessed the subject of the song.

[i:eph7ez49]I saw a werewolf with a Chondathian menu in her hand
Walking through the streets of Waterdeep in the rain
She was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's
Going to get herself a big dish of beef chow mein
Werewolf of Faerun

Aaahoo, Werewolf of Faerun
Aaahoo
Aaahoo-ooo!

If you hear her howling around your kitchen door
You’d better not let her in!
Little old lady got mutilated late last night,
was it the Werewolf of Faerun again?
Werewolf of Faerun

Aaahoo
Aaahoo-ooo!

She's the hairy-handed lass who ran amuck in the Vast
Lately she's been overheard in Cormyr
Better stay away from her
She'll rip your lungs out Lothir
I'd like to meet her tailor
Werewolf of Faerun

Aaahoo
Aaahoo-ooo!

Well, I saw Eilistraee walking with Qilue
Doing the Werewolf of Faerun
I saw the avatar of Eilistraee walking with Qilue
Doing the Werewolf of Faerun
I saw the Werewolf drinking a pint of lager at Trader Vic's
Her hair was perfect
Werewolf of Faerun...draws blood

Aaahoo
Aaahoo-ooo!

Aaahoo
Aaahoo-ooo!
Aaahoo, Werewolf of Faerun[/i:eph7ez49]

OOC: it'd be best sung to the tune "Werewolf of London" which is available to listen to in the music thread right now ;)
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

OOC: Catchy. But guys, the money was for the guide. No matter, Rooky's got it covered ;)

IC:

Rooky stood in shock; Her whole figure seemed to pale, even her eyes turned from ice blue to white for a second;

[i:1qtt56ko]A rose...?[/i:1qtt56ko]

With a shaky hand she excepted it, and tried to sniff it. It flashed on her she couldn't feel the flowers scent; of any flower.
In one motion, she put it in a vase on the shelf, and silently muffled 'I'll pick it up later.'

With a prolonged sigh, she moved over to the table; she had nothing on her to contain the items, but a small pouch. In a swift motion she picked over three empty flasks, and stuffed them into pockets fitting their shape.
The potions on the tabe were useless to her, and the rest didn't have much use in those caves.
[i:1qtt56ko]Why do they need a guide? And why are they taking money for the guide? ...shit... I'm covering the tab again...[/i:1qtt56ko]

Another sigh of exasparation, followed by a thorough temple rub. She looked up at the captain, but all his sympathy could do was flash a devil's grin, and turn back to his cards.

And that's when the singing started. She cracked her fists, and turned the handle of an axe she was playing with into splinters. A mental note of 'be nice, don't kill' was repeated at least a thousand times until they stoped.

"Can we go? Now?"
"Now?"
"How 'bout now?"
"Now?"
"And now?"
:3
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Harper smiles and steps forward to the supplies of food and listens to the discussions that have occurred.

"One needs to be well prepared for this adventure and I advise you both that remember to take the basics. We are to go quick, map the place, count noses that do not see us, for the ones that see us will need to be killed if we plan a return. Take what you need, not what you want. It could be weeks before we complete, if you do a good job."

Looks to the Captain, "My lord Captain it would be nice to know of there is any chance of support of we encounter problems that we can not handle."

Looks at what Lothir selected. "Unless you are planing to burn webs, the touch will kill us quicker then anything else in the tunnels. The light will draw all and you do not want to see all the tunnels can provide."

Talwyn "The dulling of armor offers a sign of greater wisdom, but even you chose light as a tool of your own death."

Looks to both the recruits. "To succeed one must live in the dark most of the time, defending the light in the tunnel means you will fight forever."

Looks to Rooky "My Lady, I am ready to go and find out what I can"
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

OOC: Oh, you did NOT!! That was just too funny. And it was well done. Props, man. BTW- OOPS! Didn't know that was for the guide! Well, maybe he can chip in, then. Only fair. My bad....

IC:
The young drow sighs, rolling his eyes. "Actually, I was thinking of our human companions. They can't see in the dark as we can." He cants his head at Talwyn and Rooky. "Besides, whoever said I was planning to use it for its intended purpose? Light can be a weapon as well. I highly doubt our spider-kissing kin will be used to it. I know what lurks in the dark as well as anyone."

He shudders at the memories that come rushing back unbidden. The Academy where he'd learned about treachery for the first time, Morganna and her insane hatred of him. That one raid aboard the Executioner when he saw firsthand the horrors of what his bloodthirsty father was. And Ravyn. That pain stings worst of all. He shakes away the images of her body, the two tiny babes torn from it even as her heart had been, lying in the refuse pit as if she had been nothing more than garbage. He still didn't even know whose they were....

He takes a deep breath, and looks at the knight, nodding in approval of the other's methods. "As a matter of fact, sir, I do happen to have a few spells that will come in handy, and invisibility is among them. Saved my hide from a homicidal half-sister a time or three. And I happen to have a knack for sneaking around, usually in places I'm not supposed to be. Comes in handy when one wishes to get away from the family and find a moment or two of peace."

He bows and turns back to Rooky. "As you wish, my Lady. I am ready." He bows slightly.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

As I listened to Harpers remonstration concerning taking a torch, I thought, well meaning but very assumptive.

"Ahem...its like Lothir has said Harper, I wasn't planning on standing out in the open waving a lit torch inviting the Spiderkissers to come and get me. There is an old expression, one that perhaps you're unfamiliar with: making assumptions only makes an ass out of you. I say this as a collegue and it is not to be misinterpreted as an insult," I said in a friendly quiet manner.

I turned back to Lothir.

"Excellent news on the sneakiness and Invisibility. I think both will be required. Since I'm unable to see very well in the dark, I will be a hinderance to any exploration of dark areas especially, as Harper has already pointed out, if I use a light source. I think my role in this mission will be supportive back up. I will ensure your path of retreat is clear once you have scouted out the nest of Spiderkissers."

I made my way to the door.

"I'm all set to go Rooky if you're finished making toothpicks?"
Last edited by Talwyn Aureliano on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

The path was set.
They bid farewell to the guards, but that didn't stop there. Into their packs each got stuffed with wine, and a few drunk farewells insued.

Many hugs, kisses, and admitions of love later, they finally arrived to the spot where te portal opens.
Two old oaks marked the spot; Rooky produced a thick book, worn with use, it's page yellow with age. The book seemed to open itself, and right at the end, on the finall page. To your suprise it flipped itself upside down.
She read the poem on it's pages;

It spoke of a young man coming back home from his hunt, and entering a dark, thick forest. He wandered around for a short while but got lost. A feeling of gloom overwhelmed him. He felt quite lost and helpless, and soon enough a spot between two dead tree trunks became hazy...he came close to see what was going on, but he saw nothing...just rock. When he turned back, the thick green forest was gone, but in it's place, a wasted landscape, devoid of all life.
For days he wandered on, with each passing day the dread crept up more, and more, and more, until finally, he laid on the floor and waited to die...but death never came...
The black wasteland of Gehenna had conquered another mind.

As Rooky read on, a portal manifested itself; far from the swirling hazy mass of energy you hear about, the portal offered a clistar picture into the landscape.
A forest, not unlike the one behind the portal. You stepped through, at least you think you did becuse the landscape was exactly the same.
Rooky bent down, and hid the book under some foliage, well burried it acually.
She noticed a few confused looks and silently muttered 'I've nowhere to put it. Besides, it's a mages spell book, and this lousy poem was mada way back in Mage School, when a girl wouldn't go out with him. So yeah, It'd be great if I returned it.'

The lack of a humming sound made you realize the portal closed a few seconds ago, and in it's place another more irritating humming noise followed, and in it's wake several more same noises came. You soon realize the forest is filled with portals, and your batch of equipment and emotions, made a few of them open.

Different emotions came to surface, from dread, to joy, to peace of mind. Rooky took a few seconds to try and recognize the portals, and if you tried to move, held you in spot. Most were just like the one you passed by, clear and transluctent, and could easilly be seen through. Several of them though just made the forest behind them seem like a puddle of water was infront of it.

"I welcome you to Cloackwood. Fearun's very own planar highway. Mind your step."
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

For just a moment, the young prince is tempted to explore on his own, fighting the urge- though he knows full well how dangerous it might prove- to simply step into one of the portals and see where it might take him. Curiosity kills the cat, he thinks ruefully, frowning in frustration at the thought of so many wasted opportunities for knowledge and adventure. But he already has a task at hand, and one that promises excitement and dangers of its own. He follows the woman closely, casting a longing glance or three at some of the more promising-looking portals.

"Where do they all go?" he asks in wonder. He pauses for just a moment, to pull a pair of ornate daggers out of his boots- just in case. He decides against returning them to thier full size and form for now, since he has no idea if doing so might interfere with any of the portals. He continues on with the party, ready for anything- he hopes.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I am glad now that I came on this little mission as I stood and gazed at the array of portals before us. I never realised that Cloakwood was a nexus of inter-dimensional activity. This information will definitely be of value to the Golden Lions and the church hierarchy back in Tantras. I wonder if it is the result of wild magic? Has the weave here been weakened or tampered with to allow such a plethora of gateways to other realms, worlds and who knows where else? It bares further investigation yet I am not the man for this task. More learned people such as mages, sages and other scholars would be needed to study these phenomena.

“Rooky, how did the Cloakwood come to be such a nexus of portal activity?” I inquired as I observed all the varying effects each individual portal displayed. “And which is the right way to go?” I added as I knelt down and marked the ground just in front of the portal we’d just entered through.

Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

"I never took interest into why the portals are here, but what I've heard from the rumours, mages use this forest to connect to various organizations, towns and places across the planes.
As well as the mages, various creatures from the other planes seep in, but this happens only if the magi institutes themselves fall appart, which is...unlikely to say the least.
Most of these portals include paths to Arvandor, Yggrasil's root towns, gate towns leading to Pandemonium, Gehhena, the Nine Hells, portals to establisments and a few towns of Elysium, Arcadia, and two or three I think, that take you to Mechanus' markets, and one or two portals for it's Underground.
I also think there's a portal to Sigil's Bazaar somewhere around here...although...I can't quite recall where..." Rooky stopped, and looked around, and scratched her head. You think this is the very first time you've seen her face without a frown. She shook it off, and resumed.

"Meh, nevermind in any case..."

"Cloackwood acts as a sort of Sigil for Faerun, but, Cloackwood has controlled enviroment. The keys are speciffic and easily memorable, the enviroment on the other side is controled as well, in other words, you slip, and you land safe. Unlike Sigil, who's portals are...well chaotic in a sense.
There are however enviroments which you can't make a sanctuary in, and first that comes to mind are the lower planes I take it? Keep your options open, the upper planes won't offer you candy when you arrive.
Each of the portals here is two way. unlike the one we came through. The portal to get back to the Temple is in a different spot entirely, so...you can move the mark...."

Rooky looked over her shoulder at Talwyn, her usual angry face not showing the hints of slight offense.

"In any case, it'll take us about half a day to get to the caves, and a good hour longer to get to the village. Yes, the captain got it wrong. It's a village with an inn, and that's it. Don't get your hopes too up, the food ain't bad though, and the bed works.
So for your sake, you'd better be done with your task in less then three days..."

"Oh yes, one more thing...there's a hole here, and it's a portal...I can't remember to where, or the key, or where it is...so...mind you step...I lost a few of them that way."
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

The young bard's thoughts are jolted at the mention of a portal to Arvandor. Which one...? He wonders. If he stepped through it, would he be able to see Ravyn again? He grows silent, his usual friendly demeanor gone, replaced by a look of pain and quiet rage.

He blinks back tears of bitterness, then straightens, resolved that no one should ever have to suffer such loss again. He follows the woman who leads them to the proper gate, his sky-blue eyes now filled with hard determination. Let the damned spider-kissers beware. He has lost all that was dear, and they and their kind must pay....

He listens only with half-interest at her explaination. The reasons for the portals do not matter half as much to him as thier destinations. Perhaps when this is over, he will find the one to Arvandor, to see his beloved one more time...

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I glanced around to see if Harper was with us.

*OOC - Bhaern, you still in this?*

Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

Around 15 minutes, you guess passed, when you were finally out of the forest. In the mean time, the trip was quite un-eventful, except Rooky's slip as she didn't heed her own advice.
Who else was to fall into the hole?

The pathway wasn't more then a heap of rubble and cleared grass through years of walking over it. After a while you started wishing the road would at least wind a little, to make that much of the trip interesting.
Over a while a fork in the road came, with a sign, drip-in-middle of it;
"Cloackwood Caves; History for the viewers pleasure;"
"Murkwood Village; pop. 57"
"Cloackwood"

ALong it's edges were also arrows pointing to the major cities up North and South.
You continued down, and now the scenery got more interesting.
Large clusteres of fields dotted the landscape, cattle roamed around, and your sudden appearance made a few dogs watching the cattle bark louldy. Several villagers in the fields raised their head at you. They spoke something amongst themselves, and soone enough a man in his mid 50's was coming towards you.

Rooky turned to the dark elf;
"Pull your hood up kid, there may have been trouble..."
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I followed Rooky, briefly wondering where Harper had disapeared to. Perhaps he got cold feet and decieded that discretion was better than valor. In any case it was a shame he isn't here but I think Lothir and I will be alright.

I made sure I kept an eye on the path we'd taken out of the forest, noting any visually striking trees or features as makers in case we have to make our way back alone.

Our little group then paused by a fork in the road we were on, stopping in front of a small sign. I read it with interest. What very civic mind villagers these folk from Murkwood village appear to be. How decent of them for providing this nice little marker which had all those useful directions. After a few minutes purusing the sign, we set off again. Conversation was abscent but that was alright as the scenary was enough to keep me entertained.

Soon well tended field came into view and the inevitable barking of the village dogs followed. I followed Rookys gaze as she noticed a middle aged man approaching us. I nodded in agreement as she spoke her warning.

"I think Rooky is right Lothir. Best be discreet for now eh? Don't want the locals rousing up into a mob waving pitchforks and torches just because one has glimpes your smiling face," I quipped with a dry smile.

I stepped forward, interposing myself in front of Lothir so as to shield his appearance from casual glances while he pulled up his hood.

Smiling I stepped forward a pace and spoke.

"Good day to you sir. Talwyn, paladin of Torm the True god at your service," I said with a brief polite bow of the head as a matter of introduction.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

OOC: Sorry it took so long, but I don't get to log on every day, and the last couple of times, Ive been having connection problems. I blame the library computers....

IC:
"Ah well, I was afraid it might come to this," he sighs, and murmers a few words, with a wave of his hand over his face. Suddenly his appearance changes to that of a gangly human youth, with just a hint of beard on the chin, and dark hair hanging down over a pair of warm green eyes. "And so I am 'Lucien Del' Torrino' once again...."
He winks at the knight, and waits for the old man to approach.

Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

OOC: 's cool.

IC:

The man approached with caution; lightly said. He kept his pitchfork closely too him, eyeing the strangers under rows of wrinkles lining his face;

"Greetings to you...Tallwyn, Paladin of Torm. I am Olgren, and I must ask what bring you to our village. We don't get many visitors that often, and we've been having some troubles as of late.
You must forgive my blutness for this of course Talwyn, Paladin of Torm.
I must also mention, that our god is Ilmater, so I must ask you to be descreet of that matter as well to the villagers if you are to stay.
Again, what is your bussines here?"

He didn't falter. His if need be weapon was still close to his side, and some of the other villagers payed close attention to how the matter was to unfold.
Rooky steped up, and to your confusion, spoke calmly, and quite elegantly;

"We hail from from one of the major towns up North. Our leaders have sent us here to investigate a matter concerning the Cloackwood caves. We were also informed that someone has been sent here before hand. Have they arrived per chance?
Forgive my manners, my name is Alhandra Blackwood. And this is our companion...err...Lucien.
We ask permission to stay in your village in for several days, in order to finish our task. Per chance, does this have anything to do with your troubles you mention?"
Her voice was stern, but her explanation did make the man relax slightly. That omnious pitchfork was still here.

"I believe it has...please acompany me to the head's house, I will try to explain it there with him."

You notice that he failed to mention if the guide was there, as well as look slightly frightened by the mention, so much so the short momnet that he finally relaxed a bit with you, he resumed to be tense as you first met him.

He proceeded towards the village, and Rooky gave a short look back to Talwyn and Lothir...it was of slight concern, for if the Drow have proceeded to attack surrounding villages then there might be some problems, as well as his reaction to the guide...
She fell a bit behind the man, and whispered to the other two;

[i:116svrd4]"Do you know something that I don't about our guide...? People don't tend to react this way often about other people..."[/i:116svrd4]

OOC: If you guys think I'm hijacking the roles, or doing something wrong, please do tell. I just don't want the RP to lag too much. Also remind me if I'm rushing it too much.