Infestation

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

I listened carefully to the dying drow girls final words.

[i:2t1vtr08]L'errdegahr had...her mad with it is promises...she destroyed us...it is...deep underground...they...I...please...destroy me...I ann d'dos...DESTROY ME[/i:2t1vtr08]

I didn't quite manage to translate everything and the woman was delirious with agony. Destroy me? Why not say kill me which would be [i:2t1vtr08]elgg uns'aa[/i:2t1vtr08]? Perhaps its another dialect of drow that I'm not familiar with? Odd though.

It was a small mercy that Rooky performed by ending the mutilated womans life. I gazed at the womans lifeless torso and reflected on her words as Lothir went about ministering to the dead.

So someone named L'errdegahr was responsible for this disaster. It, what ever "it" is, had made promises and obvisously false ones. Again I marvel at the utter foolishness of dealing with devils and demons and an old piece of wisdom sprang to mind.

"The only difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits," I remarked quietly as I served the carnage.

"Eh? What was that Tal?" asked Elenwe.

"Oh...well from what we can see here, it appears from the evidence and the dying girls words that this group of drow had tried to bargin with some very powerful evil individual, probably demonic but it also could be draconic, I'm not sure? Since I'm no tracker or ranger, I couldn't say for sure because I would have no idea what spore or tracks such a creature would leave behind."

"No..she meant what did you mean by what you said," clarified Zzadrina with a small smile.

"Ahh that...right. Isn't it obvious? Their leader," I said gesturing to the dead and mutilated drow, "thought it was being extremely devious and clever by dealing with such a creature but the harsh reality proven here by the carnage is that attempting such bargins is extremely stupid and as such, stupidity has no limits. It's also been remarked by sages that stupidity is one of the most common elements to be found in the universe," I added with a wink to Zzadrina. She grinned back, her sapphire blue eyes twinkling as she smiled.

"If we are up against a powerful T'narri or Baator, we need to be extremely cautious. Even if what killed these morons isn't demonic, it is still extremely dangerous and we would be hard pressed to defeat such a creature." I added grimly as I unlimbered Saving Grace, the shining shield and withdrew SpiderBane. The longsword's naked blade issued a soft blue light once I said the command word, Ssussun and it stared casting a glow around me in a 5 foot radius.

"Well then, lets go and see what did this then."
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

"Ahem," interrupts the bard with a shake of his head, "What my erudite friend here is trying to say, I think, is that those who make foolish deals with demons or devils must be prepared to deal with the consequences. In other words- stupidity is universal, and often fatal."

He turns to Rooky, with an expectant look. "What do you suggest, my Lady? I've little experience with such creatures- though as Tal said, it could be draconic as well- but my blades are ready for whatever we find."
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Rooky looked dissapointed.

"I though you'd be a slight bit more smarter. You wish to go deeper? Fine, I won't stop you..." she moved out of the way and a massive iron door stood there.

The door was rusty, the damp air clearly destroyed it, and yet you had that horrid feeling no matter what you did, it wouldn't open.
You did notice however that it was in fact recently open...
You can't quite grasp how, but something of inhuman strength moved it, and closed back up again. The door was massive; 8 feet up, touching the sealing, and as much as it was tall it was wide. Various runes adorned it's surface. You didn't notice it at first from Rooky's own massive frame, but the light fell in such a way that you couldn't notice it even if she wasn't there unless you came really close.

"...but I think the door will. The Cloackwood caves are an extension of the forest...only better made..."

Ilene stepped in and spoke in her usual calm matter;

[color=darkblue:13e2c1xz]"The cave complex itself is based on a chaos matter; after many years of creation, the chaos matter delved into the caves, opening rifts, and tearing into space itself.
In short, the caves are now, in fragments, a part of the Astral, and small pocket areas within are thrown to the Astral. Seeing as the Astral is a void of the mind, you will walk through the caves hallways sucked into it, until you realize where you are...and then you come into nothing. Finding a way back is...complicated if you don't know how...[/color:13e2c1xz]

"That's why we need to look at the corpses better, and why the door is there.; The number here matches a standard 'raid and settle' drow group, which means they either knew perfectly what they were doing, or they had something to show the pocket holes.
Knowing drow, I'd say the first option is more likely, but then again, they carried around a whole heap of slaves with them...loosing work force ain't much of an option, so you need to hold them by hand and lead them out.
Remember, this can be any object. Throw anything that looks remotely magical into a pile somewhere where you can see it. We need to search them all, else we'll have go blindly into it all.
Any questions?"
:3
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

He cocks his head with a puzzled frown. "Astral? Never seen anything astral that could do all this.... Then again, I'm not especially familiar with the astral plane. Always prefered things you could see and touch. After all, if you can touch it , you can probably kill it."

He wanders about, checking over the dead drow- and even (ick) the illithids, for magical items. Fortunately he has a spell to detect magic, and uses it. all around the cavern, items on the bodies start to glow in his vision, like dozens of little twinkling stars of various colors and sizes.

The hardest part, of course, is picking them up out of the gore and scattered parts without getting sick at the sight or smell, though he has gotten used to it by now, somewhat. He even cuts oven the dead carrion crawlers in case one of them ate something magical.

After several minutes, the group has collected a fair-sized pile of objects, and all turn to Rooky. Meanwhile, the young drow goes over to examine the door more closely. Who- or WHAT- could have opened it? he wonders. He stares at the runes, trying to decypher them.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I looked at Rooky with a quizzical expression.

"Of course we have to go deeper. We were charged with finding out whats going on out here and so far all we have learned is that a bunch of morons have got themselves torn apart. Now the vital question is what was it that slaughtered these fools and how much of a threat is it to the village and wider community. Or we can pack up now with our very limited amount of information and call it a day. I do think though that big guard captain will be a tad disapointed if we did." Rooky nodded but I could tell she wasn't all that pleased with the logic. Still, we had a job to do and it was vital that we learn what it is that could butcher a bunch of well equipped drow like sheep.

"There is a bright side: we don't have to worry about a drow incursion anymore and since these idiots are all dead, its doubtful any more will be coming anytime soon," I added.

I looked over the pile of items that Lothir had recovered from the dead.

"Say Lothir, be on the look out for something unusual. Those twits would've had something in which to summon their monster demon whatever. From what I recall, it has to be a focus for the summoning. Also, see if there are any useful weapons in the pile. They might of been fools but drow are often lavishly equipped with magical bric-a-brack. Maybe there is a house insignia or something identifying who they were?"
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

"I was thinking along those lines myself, friend, but I've seen nothing yet that looks like any sort of focus item. As to weapons, these are all I will ever need." He holds up his two sabers, their blades gleaming in the dim light of the cavern's entrance. "The rest of you can take whatever you like. Unless there's a decent ring or a bag of holding here. Could use some extra space for all my songs and books...."

Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

OOC; sowwy, sowwy, sowwy, sowwy T.T

Rooky gave Talwyn a blank expression; She pretended to listen but a blind man could see she wasn't even remotely paying attention.

She turned to the door; examined the door...thoroughly...you reckon at least half an hour past when she started spewing curses in every language she could think of.

She cursed at it, spat it, kicked it, punched it, to no avail. In the end, she slumped down to the floor, crossing her arms and legs and glared at it.
What you found on the corpses wasn't her problem anymore...all that ran through her head for the moment was how she will destroy that damn door.

It was impressive to say the least; Runes were etched all over it...you recognized them as human arcane runes, fortified by dwarven runic script.
It dawned on you that the runes were meant there to keep the door sealed...but they weren't active for some time. If they were, you doubt the door would open itself without the proper key, no matter the brute force.

Why was the door sealed? The holes to the Astral? Possibly; the door looked old, but how did the Drow enter?
Brute force or magic? Both possibly...

The corpses didn't offer much info; The medallions they wore were standard drow, and signified them as members of House Re'rvenel... They didn't rank high, and were practically unknown...you couldn't make out was that good or bad...

Ilena rummaged through the pile of items...at least 15 minutes went into the total examination, when she uncovered what may look like what they need; A small orb, that was a light shade of azure; it hummed a deep blue when it was near a cave-Astral hallway.

The objet was there, the death's of the drow partially uncovered, and now to open the door...
Zzadrina Kel'Shri
Maid
Maid

Post by Zzadrina Kel'Shri »

((OOC: Sorry, I've kinda been neglecting this thread as I've been fretting over my Inn.. :tear: ))

Zzadrina popped up at Ilenas side, frowning at the azure orb she held.
[color=green:17rs2rto]" That looks really farmiliar. Elenwe?"[/color:17rs2rto] The half elf looked up from delivering some last rights to the corpses, and glided over to the drow.
[color=darkblue:17rs2rto]" That looks alot like that orb that group of wizards had.. Remember, in the High Forest? We stumbled upon them, and it was a good thing too."[/color:17rs2rto] Zzadrina nodded in agreement.
[color=darkblue:17rs2rto]" They were in that really old tower..I think this orb can be used, among other things, as a conduit for a planar portal, if it's done right. But the spell is really complicated, and you can hit on the wrong plane. I'm guessing that whatever they were trying to go to, they failed, and hit one of the levels of the Nine Hells."[/color:17rs2rto]
" Hey Lil, what''''s going on in the world news today?"
" Some woman got whacked!"
"....Apparently, this is cause for celebration in Lil Land."
--My friend and I
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

"Oh, Hells..." comes a sour quip, and Lothir goes over to sit by Rooky. "You know, glaring at it won't make it open- though I dare say it might be intimidated into it, if you keep it up long enough."
He gives her a wink and wry smirk, then offered a pat on the shoulder.

"Don't worry, my Lady. Luck often has a way of turning things around, I've learned. We will find a way to open it. Just hope we can handle whatever's on the other side."

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I was glad that Lothir, Zzadrina and Elenwe were upbeat about opening the door although if it lead to a portal to one of the infernal planes then that would be a problem.

Seeing that Rooky was being her usual belligerent self and pointedly ignoring my comments, I deceided to refrain from engaging in any further dialogue with her unless it was absolutely necessary. There is no point in talking with someone who's already made up their mind to be stroppy and cantakerous, it only aggreivates things. Besides, there's also no point getting upset about it either, that way only drags you down to a base and childish level.

Turning to Zzadrina and Elenwe,

"Let me know when you if you need any help. I'll be standing back and keeping a look out in case anything comes along."

Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

Ilena listened to Zzandrina and Elenwe speak of the orb;

[color=darkblue:1swxepdu]"Then we may have a problem...Rooky?"[/color:1swxepdu]

"My, that certainly narrowed down the search for me...Let's see, planar conduit, Hell, azure orb, complicated spell and old tower... Call me when you get somethin' more k?"

Rooky turned her attention back to the door; This time instead of spitting on it, she'll move it...
She placed her hands on the door, and braced her feet against the ground;
She pushed at it, at least three times but the door wouldn't budge;
On her third try the door gave a loud creak, and inched it's way out of it's original place, opening slowly...It stopped halfway, refusing to budge.

"That's as far as it opens...Now...we need to consider our routes. That little orb will probably do the trick, but a conduit will open regardless of spells. Pick up from them what you need...It'll be a long treck before we can re-emerge."

Ilena took the stand again, ans spoke in her usual somber matter;

[color=darkblue:1swxepdu]"The door blocked my personal passage, but the animals that skitter in and out have seen something rather...interesting.
This path continues down the corridor for about five feet, before it starts descending. From what I understood from the images, the way down is a wide shaft with no other means, but jumping in and hoping it isn't a big fall...judging by how long the mice trudged through the darkness, it's a big fall.
Some fools have tried their luck with this tactic apparently...
Either way, the tunnel that continues from the shaft seems illuminated, but the lights flickered and moved about. I recall the roof of the cave being filled with roots, and other plant life.
The mice turned for one of their tunnels within the cave wall...that was as far as I could get.[/color:1swxepdu]

Rooky motioned for Ilena to hand her the orb. Rooky rovered around a pouch strapped to her leg; A translucent lens appeared in her hand. Bringing it close to her, eye she tried examining the orb, but nothing came to avail.

"I suppose we go with the first option, and suppose the elves knew exactly what they were doing. This isn't known to me, and the work that went into it is quite exquisite really...This thing seems to bind in doorway magic into it; True, it can summon a portal conduit and yes it does need meticulous preparations, since this thing is amateur work...unfortunately, it doesn't show us where the pocket holes for the Astral are..."

She fell silent for a few moments; she continued with a worried glance;
"...then we have to worry about what ever they summoned..."

(...)

The path way was dark and brooding to say the least. It was a short walk. The hallway had no minor twists and turns, nor hidden passageways so for now, dropping into the Astral was not a problem. The walls were a life of their own; various small animals made their home there from insects to mice, and even small birds made their way inside through some holes in the roof of the caves. Moss filled them, along side with vines and roots; Strange since you clearly remember not going underground, but staying at ground level...
In fact the only hint of going underground you have met so far is the massive shaft you see before you...

Something strange was going on, and to further puzzle everything together you needed to get down that shaft.
You try to peer into the darkness;

OOC: Those with darkvision, please step up.

Rooky nudged Zzandrina and Lothir to look down. There was nothing there; the darkness stretched on, but at the end something did move about...the two tried to focus but to no avail; their eyes could only see so much, and even what they saw was questionable.
Getting down was the priority either way. How you do it, either magically or by rope is your call.
Last edited by Rooky on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Long trek.... He grimaces sourly, but shrugs. He goes back to pick through the corpses one last time, but takes only a few extra rations and one item of note, a spell book that he thinks might prove useful. Out of the magical items, only a pair of boots and a small decanter of endless wine catch his interest.

"Spider Boots? Always wanted a pair of those. Wine's not bad, either- but that can wait. Does give me some ideas, though...."

He tucks the silver flask away in his pack, then replaces his boots for the new ones, and puts them away as well.

"Well, looks like we're off to see the- whatever is down there. Shall we, comrades?" He turns to the others expectantly, with a small wave toward the females- most particularly Rooky- as if to say "ladies first."

Zzadrina Kel'Shri
Maid
Maid

Post by Zzadrina Kel'Shri »

Zzadrina tilted her head at the hole, and peered down into the blackness. It was very deep, deep enough that one could die if they fell wrong. She looked around, and hit upon an idea when she saw some protrusions of rock sitting around the hollow.
[color=darkblue:22q4itm6]" Elenwe? Have you still got that enchanted rope we purchased?"[/color:22q4itm6] Zzadrina whispered, her voice sounding very loud in the black.
[color=green:22q4itm6]" Of course." [/color:22q4itm6]Elenwe stepped forward to let Drina dig it out of her pack. The drow then stepped carefully over to one of the rock formations, and let her memory guide her on the knots.
[color=darkblue:22q4itm6]" That should do. I could probably just levitate down, and Elenwe could use a featherfall scroll, but I don't know about the rest of you. We can just rappel down."[/color:22q4itm6] With that, she siddled over to the rope, adjusted her pack, and began to make her way down.
" Hey Lil, what''''s going on in the world news today?"
" Some woman got whacked!"
"....Apparently, this is cause for celebration in Lil Land."
--My friend and I
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

"Yes, better not to waste it when the rope will do, I think. Ah, well, as they say- down the hatch!" He starts down after her, and soon finds himself having to wait- patiently, of course- for the slower woman. Not that he minds, the view down at her is- he shakes his head, remembering that this is supposed to be a serious mission. Still....

The young bard hides his cheshire grin as he continues down the long rope into the darkness, letting his darkvision take over. <Not unlike climbing about the rigging of father's ship.> he thinks, though this is far more stable than a ship's masts and deck. He slips once or twice, more from being out of practice than any lack of skill.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I remained at the top of the sink hole, guarding the rope.

I'd stay there and let the drow and Elenwe do their scouting unless they called for my help.

It was hard not to go with them and face the dangers but I would only be a liability, blind with out light and attracting unwanted attention with it.

I sighed and stayed alert and vigilant, my sword out. It's soft blue light illuminating the cavern nicely.