A Return to Faerun from Elben Aator

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Resker grunted.

"Be careful what you learn from that one," he said. "He'll have ye off to slay every dragon in the Realms."

One of Resker's men cleared his throat and Resker cut off whatever rant he was about to go on.

"As for your offer to help in the fields, be careful what ye ask for," he said. "I'll hold ye to it."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Zazzt chuckled, "Adian told me the stories, and I have had to slay a few dragons, nasty little beasts." Zazzt shrugged, "And I was serious about work in the field, I suppose that the rest of you can survive without me for a day?"
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

"If the rest agree to delay for a day then I would fulfill my obligation as well," Adian said, hastily adding, "In the evening."

Resker's eyebrows came together and he grunted.

"Well," he said in a more upbeat tone. "It's getting cold while we stand here gabbing. Plenty of time for news after supper."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt smiled, and nodded contently, "I most certainly agree."
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

Delia got up and began to help with clearing the table after their meal. She listened to the jaluken as they talked with the Dwarf that owned the farm. "I can help in the fields to sir. The daylight is not a problem with me and as a young girl I helped my da and my ma around our farm back on Elben Aator." She then gets a brief look of saddness as she remembered the farm of her birth and her last day on it.

[i:1o9hdjzz]The day had started out beautiful, butterflies flitting from flower to flower, birds singing in the woods near the little Addams' farm. Delia at age twelve was on her way to becoming an adult woman, but still had many childlike qualities including a sense of wonder about nature. She had done her morning chores around the small woodland farm an was playing in her favorite old oak. Suddenly the birds went quiet. She noticed and looked around, her da was a ranger of Selune and she had learned to be still in the woods from him and she lay down along the contour of a large branch of her tree and began to look around. She noticed them a dozen human bandits and four Drow warriors. Her father took up his sword and yelled for them to stop and not tresspass on his land. At the sound of this commotion her mother came out of the house. Delia watched as Mi'yar came out and stood next to her da. Mi'yar was her mother's name she remembered. She had been a priestess of Eilistraee, a warrior, and a bard. That was partially the path that Delia now walked. She was a priestess, ranger, and bard of Eilistraee.

The Drow led band of murauders just laughed in her father's face and Mi'yar took her bow and readied it. Delia just hugged herself closer to the branch and scooted herself up into a patch of leafy brances and limbs to blend in better and not be seen. The Drow were insulting her father and her mother now then one of them cast a spell on Mi'yar and she went to the ground unconscious. Four of the bandits and one of the Drow then pounced on da with their weapons drawn and began to fight him. Da faired very well at first and even tried to keep two of the Drow from taking ma. Then one of the other two Drow thrust his blade into da's kidneys and da went to his knees. The third Drow then thrust his sword into da's heart and he fell onto his front and bled out. Terrified Delia just stayed as she was hidden in her oak, her fortress and watched as the Drow and men sat her home afire and drug off ma into the woods.[/i:1o9hdjzz]

Delia must of stared off into infinity longer than she thought. One of Calia's Drow soldiers asked her what was wrong. She looked at the man vaccantly for a bit then blinked.

"I was just remembering the day I left my home is all," Delia said.

The soldier asked her, "Why did it cause her to have the thousand yard stare?"

Delia said it had been a sad day and she told the tale of what happened that day.
Drow on the Surface face as many dangers as those in the Underdark. Just because the Rivvil is friendly does not mean he wishes to help you, he may just want to get you off guard before knifing you.
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Resker shook his head sadly as Delia told her story.

"I'm sorry to say that your tale isn't unique," he rumbled. "There've been other guests here who've told me stories much like it. I's a sad thing or be losing family, no matter what yer age."

A shadow of old pain flitted across Resker's face.

"But let any of that kind o' scum try their mischief here," he said. "Not all of us were farmers 'afore we settled down. Ye have me word that this place is at least as safe for ye an' yours long as I 'ave something to say about it."

Adian's eyes, meanwhile, were watery with sympathy. He looked down at his food, feeling guilty that his childhood had been so free of tragedy while the others had suffered more than he could imagine. He silently swore that he would do anything he could to prevent others from suffering so.

"Your offer is accepted, Miss Delia," Resker was saying. "If ye need it I can see about a good shaded hat for ye to protect against the sun. Some of your folk aren't all that comfortable with the hot daylight."

It didn't take a genius to figure out who that comment had been aimed at.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt chuckled, putting on a false hurt impression, "Come Master Resker, I can take the Sun perfectly well." He said, "Oh, and if you wish, I could put a few wards around the place, free of charge."

Zyeke
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

"I am surface born Master Resker. A hat is welcome, but not a necessity," said Delia, "Besides many of us Half-Bloods see just as well in the light of day as we do in the darkness of tunnels, only we get to enjoy colores other than shades of grey." Then she smiled.
Drow on the Surface face as many dangers as those in the Underdark. Just because the Rivvil is friendly does not mean he wishes to help you, he may just want to get you off guard before knifing you.
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

"I thank ye again for yer generosity, Master Zazzt," Resker said. "I'm no great fan of magic myself, but I know enough to know that it's useful. 'Slong as ye tell me what it is you're doing so I can make sure my boys don't get struck by a falling camel."

He bowed to Delia.

"A hat it will be,then," he said. "Though I warn ye that it's had plenty of owners.

"If I be understanding ye," he said. "Are ye saying that your kin are finally comin' back into the light of day? Surface-born ilythiiri were a rare thing in my heyday. I never thought I'd be seeing that, to tell ye the truth."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

OOC: Yea, same.

IC:
Zazzt scratched his head, "Falling camel... interesting, interesting" He pulled out a small sheaf of parchment and scribbled it down, "Thank you Master Resker, I just might make a spell for you that might have something to do with that... How about 'Resker's Camel'?" He looked around the inn, "Perhaps a few fire traps, some symbols of paralysis... yes, that would work nicely..."

Zyeke
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

"We are still rare, Master Resker, but there are a few more of us these days than before. Mistress Nedylene's people never fully went below in the first place. Her family has a hold in an isolated portion of the Nether Mountains in an old possibly extinct volcano crater. The basin is about a days walk across and its walls protect them from outsiders both sufacers and those from below as the ancient lava tubes and other tunnels seem not to have connections to the rest of the Underdark." Then Delia glanced over to Nedylene and Nedy nodded in agreement.

Nedy spoke then, "Master Resker, my House or rather family and clan have held that crater since our expulsion from our ancetral lands in what used to be Miyeritar the old northern kingdom of the Ssi'Tel'Quessir and we never ceased to be Miyeritari or Ssi'Tel'Quessiri. We have not taken up the worship of the Spider Queen like our southern cousins and some of our kindred that turned from the Lady of the Dance. I am proud that my ancestors choose to remain loyal to Eilistraee and to the Seldarine. Unfortunately when the priests, priestesses, and mages that followed the Seldarine in that time made their curse on those that did follow the Spider Queen it affected all of Ssi'Tel'Quessir blood including my ancestors. Rather than hide in the darkness like the Ilythiiri we worked and adapted in that crater and it was the craddle of our people. We hoped to help other followers of the Dark Maiden to find the light of the Night Above and later to adapt to it." Nedylene then helped her adopted daughter Delia ready herself to work in the fields.

As she did that Calia Tyne spoke, "My people on the other hand somehow were transported to another world on the prime material plane and had to make a new life for ourselves there. At the time of the Descent this other world was in the midst of the final days of its most recent Ice Age and we befriended a tribe of local brown skinned humans. We became part of their tribe and culture eventually to become the Black Kansa as the White or Beige skinned European humans called us. I was born in the waning days of their 19th century. I saw the world I was born on go from riding horses to using self-powered vehicles to get around from city to city. Some move across the ground, some on the waters, and others through the skies above. Those Rivvin are very inventive there. Nearly as inventive as Abeir-Toril's gnomes. I learned the use of advanced firepowder weapons there, but here I prefer a bow and my swords as I don't have to rely on a steady supply of manufactured ammunition for the guns. Don't get me wrong I have one with me, but I keep it dismantled in my pack. I will put it back together when me and the people I am with return to our world. We came through a portal that is part of a network of portals that connect many worlds of this plane together. Some of those with me think that this worlds ancestral humans arrived through those portals about the time of the Clan Wars or a little before."
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

Silence fell when Calia stopped talking. Resker shook his head as if to clear it.

"I know about the Planetouched," he said. "But other worlds...tha's a little past my ken. I'll take yer word for it, lass. But I wouldn't want to put too much trust in anythin' like what the gnomes dream up. Been caught in too many exposions to be at ease with that.

"Still, ye know yer own business," he said. "An' since ye've been kind enough to share yer stories with us, it's fair I have some things to tell ye about.

"Travellers have been telling me of some kind of upset in Waterdeep," he said. "They've increased th' patrols on the roads and the outer forts have had their numbers almost doubled. See'n as most of the folk I hear this from were other farmers I don't know what it's about, but I suggest ye steer clear of the patrols an' the outposts. When the tall folk get nervous all kinds of things can go wrong. Get to where yer' going quick once ye leave here. Sight of ye and yer kin might not be taken very well, no offense to ye meant. An' keep yer children close...along with anyone who doesn't know their back from their front."

He said this last while looking directly at Adian. Adian frowned but kept his peace.

"Seeing as we've eaten our fill," Resker said, picking up his mug. "Allow me to offer one last glass to honor our guests. Yer Lady has seen fit to get ye here safe, and safe ye shall be as long as ye stay. Ler her watch over yer kin as Berronar Truesilver watches over mine. May yer walk be peaceful and yer steps long."

The farmhands quickly refilled any glasses that needed filling. Resker lifted his mug and held it aloft, then drained it in two gulps.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt nodded enthusiastically, "Hear hear," He said, and sipped his drink. When he finished "I think I have had enough of your excellent brew, Master Resker, else the wards might not be quite as predictable as you would like." He said winking.

Zyeke
Adian Novar
Champion

Post by Adian Novar »

"Aye, to bed with ye," Resker said. "I know better than to let a wizard get drunk."
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Zazzt nodded, and stood up from the table, "Thank you once again, Master Resker," He turned towards the door, and walked to the stables, set up his tent, and went inside, tucking in to sleep, scratching down his ideas for new wards for the inn.

Zyeke