On the Edge of the Breathing Swamp

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

Inrii looked at Lothir, then to Jordan, "I guess that might explain the waves. I thought it was a bit fishy that they continued for a while after I jumped in. O well now."
To the everyone, "vendui." ((not a name...;) ))
Inrii watched as they circled the group, wondering what was to happen next. She was on the alert. As they motioned to sit, she took her place on the cushion, next to Lothir where they put the guest. They handed out drinks and dished out the food to the guest first then themselves. Inrii casted a spell (detect poison) over her food and drink. When everyone looked at her confused she responded, "habit i guess," and shrugged sipping the drink.
The meat was moist and just right. Inrii hadn't even noticed how hungry she [i:1dl5u4wc]really [/i:1dl5u4wc]was til she bit into it. She tossed a piece to Zarstra to chow on. She sipped her drink and listened to the stories about the hunt and business about the swamp.
'musta been a busy night' she thought.
Soon tho, she would need to speak to the priestess and leave the group; and they would be glad to rid of her.
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

OOC:Urgh, I can totally relate about the whole out-of-work-with-nothing-to-do thing. Having to rely on library for net access does not help, but my pc at home is at least good for writing my stories on!

IC: "I don't think you needto worry about being anyone's prisoner here. We're guests. Do you really now so little about our Lady? She is not like Lolth or even Vaerhaun. Her faithful do not needlessly harm others, nor do they wish to dominate or destroy those who are different from them. They fight only when they must, and protect those who are in need. There is nothingto fear. And I don't think any of them would poison your food, either. That is Lolth's way, or his- not ours."

He is surprised when she sits beside him, not quite certain what to make of it. Is it because she is interested in the faith, or in him personally? He glances over again, wondering where such thoughts might lead- but no, he shakes his head with a wistful frown, realising that he still has feelings for another. He knows he might never see her again, but still....

After a moment, he gets up, goes to get some of the wonderful-smelling food, and sits beside Inrii again. He stares into the bright, merry fire for a while, munching thoughtfully on the meat and tubers. "You were asking about my family a moment ago- I don't mind talking about it. It's not as if I'm ever going back. Yes, my Patron is a follower of the Masked Lord, as you know him. He was one even before he was sentanced to the Dark Banishing, and is one still." He pauses for a moment, pondering the meaning of that ancient ritual, and whether ther is any reverse. He's had such thoughts many times before, but as always, he decides that the gods know what is best, and there must be some reason for his being what he is.

"It's a little different where I come from. You've heard of the Crown Wars, and the Descent? We had something like that, only it was not between dark elves and light. It was between elves of the same races, with families that were split by jealousy and greed, some choosing to follow dark gods and seeking to overthrow their own kin. It got so bad that those who remained faithful to the Seldarine called to the gods for a way to tell their enemies from their friends- and the race of drow were born. They called it the Dark Banishing, because anyone who was cursed by it was changed physically to reflect what was in their hearts, and were banished from elven lands on threat of death. Then they called their own dark gods to give them power, and that is why drow have their gifts. Or so the legends say. Those first drow were driven Below when they tried to take revenge for their change, and it's been that way ever since. But the rite is still used sometimes, if the elf has doen something truly heinous and worthy of the Banishing." He sighs, for the next part is harder to tell.

"My father was one of those. His crime was assassinating his own brothers and sister as well as her husband and two Royal guardsmen, all for the sake of power, then murdering his wife when she discovered what he'd done. I was born later, after he was named "dhaeraow" and exiled. The names of the cursed are erased from records, so it's as if he never existed as a surface elf. And because I am considered full-blood drow, neither would I, never mind that I am nothing like th rest of them. The curse was meant to distinguish those who were traitors, but it was passed on through blood, and now no one of dark elven blood may ever set foot on the lands where their ancestors once lived."
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

The group settles into a circle around the fire. As the meal ends, Jordon starts to play a flute, softly.
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((its not flowing as well as i want it, maybe i'll fix it up later...))

Inrii listened intently to Lothir's tale as she finished her meal. She loved stories; she enjoyed having someone to whom she could talk with. None of her peers would have anything to do with her for she was Jezz's 'niece' and her skill level was well above theirs.

Some of the tale was obviously a hard subject, even painful.
"So how does one from such life come to Eilistraee or get away from it? How can you not hold anger for the unjust cursing? I never understood why all dark elves were cursed but not those who started such wars. It seams, so, I dont know the word. Would not anyone fight back or get revenge?"

Before her training, she had known nothing of the goddess except that they danced, alot. She learned quite a bit from Erelurra, and it always intrigued her, even caused her to question her own faith. But something held her back. Was it fear? She wasn't sure what yet.
"The problem is that many times, what is taught is tainted or twisted. Many of the Nightshadow, and especially Uncle Jezz, would always say, 'like mother, like daughter' when subjects about her came up. I have learned quite much the last months. But one can never know til you experience it yourself. And I've always checked my foods, especially after several of the Uncloaked were punished for the-..."
She stopped in mid sentence. the event brought painful memories. Jordan began to play and the music filled the air, mingling with the smells of dinner. A few of the gathered got up and danced. Inrii sat there watching and fiddling with her hair. Zarstra napped on her pack, full and content.

"I guess now would be a good time as any to speak with the priestess."
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

When Inrii asks him about how he came to such a faith, and whether he is angry about it, he shrugs, and answers as frankly as he knows how. "I was called- and I mean that literally. There was a slave in our house- a captive Moon elf he had brought with him after he was changed- who helped to raise me. She taught me to love music, stories, and about friendship- and love. But more than that, I used to go exploring in some hidden tunnels I found, and one went to the surface. I followed it to a clearing in a wooded valley, and I met the Maiden there. She said she had been waiting for me- that she had always been in my heart- and I knew it was true."

He pauses, smiling wistfully at the memory. "If you ask if I am angry, the answer is no. Why should I be? My mother was from a long line of "dhaeraow". And surely there must have been a reason I was born into such a life. Gods know better than we do what our purpose in life is. At least, I like to believe that. She must have had a reason for allowing it, perhaps to help show others that there is a better way. I'm no priest, but...."

He shrugs again, and smiles. He glances over as Jordon begins to play, listening intently for several seconds before beginning to pick up the tune.

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

She thought his answers over, amazed at his reactions to it all. the words 'friendship' and 'love' almost foreign to her.
"You met your goddess herself or a manifestation of her? I've known of a deity showing their favor or presence by some manifestation. I've seen the shadow appear numerous times, even an avatar at high ceremonies. But many I know hold nothing but anger and hate inside. Love and friendship are concepts that no one knows anything about. As far family, I never knew my biological parents. They were killed during a raid, but I suspect that they may have really been killed by the raiders. Uncle Jezz refuses to talk about that day. oh well. their gone to their gods."
Inrii get up and walks round as many were dancing. She wouldnt even know how to recognize her. She decided to ask Jenia, assuming she wasnt busy.

((i changed it to 'ask'))
Last edited by Inriiaynrae Jaelre on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Lothir as you listen to what Jordon plays, the notes appear random or perhaps preludes as you might recognize a series of notes of remberbered tunes. It does not appear to be a tune, rather a collection of tunes played while waiting for something to come.

Inrii finding Jenia is not hard for you to do as she sitting in the circle with the other 7 you have seen of this group. She all of the sudden stands and begins to sing a song, walking within the circle. She sings in Drow about hunting the winter bear. In someways she might appear to be doing some type of slow dance, though graceful for her song or her dance can not be said. Once completing her song, with a bow to the one she stopped at, moves to sit as the next stands, Nota arises and starts to sing a sog and dance about the fire. She sings of the duty to always hve food for those in need.
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

As Inrii stood up, she saw Jenia get up to sing and dance a story. She decided to go to the back away from the crowd for a minute. She left Zarstra on her pack, knowing that she could keep an eye on it.
Inrii decided to walk around a bit over by the lake. Her keen ears still listening to the story song. The conversation of the night was in her thoughts. It was alot to take in. She climbed a large tall oak and looked out over the swamp. As she sat their, song and story in the background, she could sense trouble out to the south. Her sharp eyes caught movement through the trees. She casted [i:18k8bm7y]detect thoughts[/i:18k8bm7y] guessing they were close enough.
What she sensed surprised her; she needed to warn everyone. Inrii suddenly could sense scrying on her and the sensation a spell was aimed at her. She quickly casted [i:18k8bm7y]globe of invulnerability[/i:18k8bm7y] just as the lightning bolt struck. She could feel the force as it knocked her from the tree. Her quick reflexes allowed her to cast [i:18k8bm7y]feather fall[/i:18k8bm7y], slowing her desent before she hit the ground. She hoped the lightning spell was enough to alert the others before they showed up.

((not sure what direction yall wanna go with it, but I thought I'd throw in some fight and excitement. I figure I would allow someone else to pick the invaders...there's at least 1 spell caster since they hit me with a level 3 spell. but powerful enough for a challenge))
Last edited by Inriiaynrae Jaelre on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

OOC: Sorry, you hadn't really specified what Jordon was playing, so I thought it would be fun to add a little something to it. He's very good at improvising tunes....

IC: He soon realizes that the human is weaving several melodies together, and tries to keep up with the changes, and even adds a few random alterations of his own here and there, until Jenia gets up to sing. He stops playing to listen, noting with passing interest that Inrii had gotten up to wander off. He considers going after her, but is too caught up in the story-song to want to leave.

At last, when Nota rises to start the next one, he glances toward the woods- just in time to catch the brief sizzle of the lightening bolt as it strikes at Inrii. "Attackers!" he shouts suddenly, and leaps over the log he was sitting on to dash off toward where he saw the bolt, drawing his daggers and mummbling out the command to enlarge them back to their saber form as he goes.

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((whaada we wanna fight? ))
Inrii drew her longsword as the first entered the clearing. She cast a couple fireballs at them to slow them down as she heard the alarm and prepare to fight. Several were thrown down as the rest continued to pour into the campsite.
Last edited by Inriiaynrae Jaelre on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

OOC: Orcs? Simple, fun... Maybe with a shaman or a few kobold sorcerers...

IC: He saw the first huge orc come crashing out of the trees at them just a few strides before the brute reached her, and dived in between to bring his shining blades up to block its attack. He glanced back at her quickly, to see her throwing fireballs at another.

"Friends of yours?" he quipped, grinning, even as he ducked under the orc's next swing with an axe that he was sure was bigger than his entire body. He cut cross-wise with both blades felling the raider with ease; then he glanced around for his next foe. He soon found it- or rather, them. A pair of kobolds in ragged robes were waving their spindly arms in the gestures of some spell. Eyes wide, he yelled to Inrii. "Get down!" just as the next two lightening bolts came crackling toward them.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

((So much for circle song ))

Weapons are quick to hand as the celebration is broken up by some uninvited guests. Globes of dancing lights spring out, clearly more then one having cast the spell. The Drow scatter away from the fire into the shadows of the trees, Their tactic is to move swift and quiet to strike down the invaders when a dancing light shows them. Jordon, strings his bow and takes an archer stance prepared to shoot any foe that enters the clearing. Eilea readies her sword, though appears to also be in meditation. Jenia takes her battle axe and stands back to the huts. Her role for now to protect the reat and the goods.
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((awww, I'm sorry boss. i forget yall like to dance all night. :D. maybe you can continue. I wasnt sure what kinda story we wanted to RP so I went with a fight in the mid of the night....))

Inrii nodded her appreciation as she casted a [i:3ldvidrx]globe of invulnerability[/i:3ldvidrx] around Lothir and flipped outta range of the lightning. Her globe still working.
Lothir quickly had his foe under control and the rest had joined the fight back twords the camp. Inrii spotted the spellcasters, and launched several lightning bolts at them, then an ice storm. Their smoldering pelted bodies hit with a thus. An orc ax descended twords her head as she pivoted with amazing dexterity and slashed across his stomach and rolled back to parry another blow from a kobolt, faster than even the drow were known for. The blade cut through the kobolt and orc like butter. Both bodies fell to the ground and vanished, like a shadow in the sunlight. She happen to see that they had turned into a shadowlike essence right before and then the essence was gone. It was the first time she had used this recently acquired sword, so she was unaware of its power. Inrii looked down at the sword, surprised. The blade glowed with a dull indigo light and eager for more battle.
Another foe slain, yet they kept coming. But the one who attacked her first was not apart of those piling in. They had been more powerful that these that she finished off. And she was sure they were in the back directing the fight.
"Someone else is controlling the battle, and they aint showing up yet. They need to be taken out, and quick," she called to Lothir,
"I think they can handle these guys." implying those of the Hunt and camp.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

The orcs kept coming; the bard felt the tingle of magic as Inrii cast her globe over him, but paid it no mind. He leapt into the midst of a group of the brutes that were rushing at the camp to overwhelm those defending the huts, suddenly breaking into a joyous battle-song. He dodged two axes aimed at his head, then pivoted into the middle of the group, going into what appeared to be some sort of dance. Whirling, leaping, and sliding with ease among the dozen orcs, kicking into arial spins that would astound an onlooker, he sliced through the ranks as easily as butter, still singing.

He had long since lost himself in the dance, finding his steps in the pure exhileration of his whirling dance of death. To those who have seen such steps, it would be easily recognizable as a form of dervish, though with a distinctly drow style. He vaguely heard Inrii mention an unseen foe, but did not respond, for he was deep in the throes of his deadly art, the song bolstering his speed and giving courage to the all defenders. When the last of his opponents had fallen, he spun to search for the next, only to find the camp mostly clear of the attackers.

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Inrii continued to fight as orc after orc fell beneath drow blades. She saw Lothir and his graceful dancing fight. She hadnt seen many fight like that. Most preferred sneak attacks and fighting from the shadows.
Each foe she slayed ended like the first, bodies vanished into a shadow essence and then gone.
She walked up to the dead kobolt spell casters, searching their pitiful bodies and checking for any indication of why they attacked or who sent them. There wasnt much indication of anything, except a unique ring on their finger. She was unfamiliar with the insignia.
She slid it off their cold fingers. she whispered a spell and the ring glowed as brightly, as a torch in the Underdark, as as did most of her equipment and Lothir's necklace, boots and swords. She didn't intend to reveal all her hidden weapons and magical jewelry, but she need to discern how powerful the ring was.
Last edited by Inriiaynrae Jaelre on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.