I'm a noob so i have a question...

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

That's right. They're just have an obsession.
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

...ok. The only Forgotten Realms literature I've read are as follows: The books about Drizzt Do'Urden.

I don't really like D&D based fantasy books because they tend to be constrained by rules and stereotypes and are unoriginal.

What I'm getting at is, as far as you all are concerned, Malek is a Tolkien high elf. Thats what I'm going for.
My patron deity is Freddie Mercury.

"If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise."-Pink Floyd
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Yeah, because Tolkien theology isn't stereotypical at all.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Malek":nmlovk9x]...ok. The only Forgotten Realms literature I've read are as follows: The books about Drizzt Do'Urden.[/quote:nmlovk9x]
*shudders*[quote:nmlovk9x]

I don't really like D&D based fantasy books because they tend to be constrained by rules and stereotypes and are unoriginal.

What I'm getting at is, as far as you all are concerned, Malek is a Tolkien high elf. Thats what I'm going for.[/quote:nmlovk9x]

Sun/Gold Elf is a good choice for some reasons, they are more Vulcan then other elves as a general rule. The one problem they have is bringing too much logic to a Chaotic race.

The Wild/Green Elves live much for the Day with no thought for the morrow.

The Moon/Silver Elf is somewhere in the mid point between these other two subraces, thus better suited to be the ones to produce leaders that the other two groups are willing to follow.

A Gold might think a Silver at times plays too muc.

A Green might think a Silver plans too much.

However both see qualities that they can respect as well.

Of course the Black Elf is generally Evil so not considered much at all by the other three *Grin*
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

[quote:3rt6wxcj]Yeah, because Tolkien theology isn't stereotypical at all.[/quote:3rt6wxcj]

Forgive me if I appear ignorant (because I probably am) but didn't Tolkien invent his own universe, with his own magical rules, his own perception on races, his own languages, etc. If that's not original then the foundations of my universe will come crumbling down around me.

[quote:3rt6wxcj] Malek wrote:
...ok. The only Forgotten Realms literature I've read are as follows: The books about Drizzt Do'Urden.

*shudders*[/quote:3rt6wxcj]

Yeah, those were my first, but they started to get boring. When I asked myself why I was bored with them, I realized that it lacked the soul and originality of Tolkien's work. I thought "Why? Well, these are D&D based." Since that moment I've lost the will to read almost any fantasy book.

[quote:3rt6wxcj]Sun/Gold Elf is a good choice for some reasons, they are more Vulcan then other elves as a general rule. The one problem they have is bringing too much logic to a Chaotic race.

The Wild/Green Elves live much for the Day with no thought for the morrow.

The Moon/Silver Elf is somewhere in the mid point between these other two subraces, thus better suited to be the ones to produce leaders that the other two groups are willing to follow.

A Gold might think a Silver at times plays too muc.

A Green might think a Silver plans too much.

However both see qualities that they can respect as well.

Of course the Black Elf is generally Evil so not considered much at all by the other three *Grin*[/quote:3rt6wxcj]

Oh, so I guess Malek is a silver elf...in personality at least. I'll need more info on the elven races to decide what fits my vision of Malek. Can anyone recommend me some sources (no novels please, school just started and I haven't even read the 6th Harry Potter).

"If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise."-Pink Floyd
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Actually Malek I was being ironic...but I guess that's hard to tell.

For me, I do admire Tolkien for inventing his own world the way he did, but I also find his books very hard to read because he puts WAY too much detail into them...like, useless detail.

But on another note, if you're looking for some good fantasy books to read I recommend the work of David Eddings and Gail Martin.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

...Well then, I guess Malek is a Silver elf.

I feel I must explain this change. Malek has gone through quite a few changes, each made because none of them really fit the personality that I had in mind. Let's just say, I had to translate what was on my character sheet into Forgotten Realms races, but since I didn't really understand them I picked sun elf because I thought that those were the closest things to high elves which I deemed to be the least specific of the subraces. Long story short, I envisioned Malek as a Silver Elf without knowing what a silver elf was.

Just apply doublethink. [i:1af0mogg]Malek is a Silver Elf. Malek has always been a Silver Elf. Big Brother said so, so it must be true now...[/i:1af0mogg]

Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

[quote:1xln4xnb]Actually Malek I was being ironic...but I guess that's hard to tell. [/quote:1xln4xnb]

Lol. They should make a font just for irony and/or sarcasm, because it's impossible to convey those without hearing it.

Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

I'm surprised. I expected people to complain about the fact that I made a custom class, or that I'm using a made-up weapon.

Merinid Tlin'orzza
Regular

Post by Merinid Tlin'orzza »

If I remember right, surface elves use human height, and half elven weight.

Now if you were to breed drow with moon elf, the results would be either moon elf or drow. Don't ask why, Ed Greenwood created this setting.

Feel free to house rule em, I really don't care.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Malek":ms7jje1c]I'm surprised. I expected people to complain about the fact that I made a custom class, or that I'm using a made-up weapon.[/quote:ms7jje1c]

For Free Flow/Form it does not matter how you define your character. The interaction is what matters not what the character is.

I have played a Staff of Wood and the play was interesting. In the end my character got stolen, but different character (players interacted differently with the piece of wood).

In FF there are no rules as to what you play, there however are tules in how you play.

BTW the Staff of wood after first was stolen, became a staff of Elm, a Staff of Oak, etc. just in case I saw them again. *Grin*

You have nothing to worry about how you define your character, the interaction is the hard part. You and others that play with you should stive for an interesting and fun encounter for all.
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

Well, I'm trying out some Free Form Role Play here: http://www.eilistraee.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=781

Let's see how well I do.

Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Are you the friggin' idiot who wants to know do druids wear underwear?!
:3
Malek
Champion

Post by Malek »

That would not be me. What druids wear for underwear is between them and their clothes.