Hello!

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

All I know about the old magic resistance is that I could never heal Viconia in Baldur's Gate 1! Damn suicidal drow.
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
Tarlyn
Regular

Post by Tarlyn »

I am as of yet not complaining about 3.5 as I have cursed my DM's dice so I have as of yet to take any magic damage bwahahahahahahahaahah :p
Sancha
Maid
Maid

Post by Sancha »

Mwahahahaha! That certainly is one clever and effective way of dealing with it. :devil:
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[quote="Tyrmer":2r6i533c]All I know about the old magic resistance is that I could never heal Viconia in Baldur's Gate 1! Damn suicidal drow.[/quote:2r6i533c]
[color=darkred:2r6i533c]potions.[/color:2r6i533c]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Do you KNOW how much they cost!? *Outraged voice*
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

I've never played 2nd or 1st edition D&D. Well, 2nd ed in games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. However, given the prevalence of Drow PCs I have seen in my time playing Neverwinter Nights (4 years or so), I am glad they were 'nerfed'. Creatures with stats like those presented are strictly NPC material, in my view. Just as constructs and undead should be strictly NPC material.
With all that Drow apparently had, why not just make them demi-gods and be done with it?

I [i:15tkkj5s]have[/i:15tkkj5s] read some 2nd edition material, and had some of the game mechanics explained to me. I like the changes made to it, it makes the game so much easier to understand, and ROLE play, not ROLL play, like 2nd edition seemed to do.
2nd Ed: "a mage casts fireball at you, roll save vs spells, or is that save vs breath weapon? Maybe it's save vs wand, I'll have to check my books!"

3rd Ed: "a mage casts fireball at you, roll for SR, if you have any, and if you fail that, roll a reflex save"

Maybe its been dumbed down, but I like my games to focus on the characters, not the numbers.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:23cbyd7b]A favorite punishment for my DM to hand out is "Go figure out how THACO works." So far, no one has been able to.[/color:23cbyd7b] ;)
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Tarlyn
Regular

Post by Tarlyn »

Since I happen to play 3.5 as well as 2nd I have no real problem it is just remembering THACO for the first time you need to use it, after that it is fine.
nightcancerwolf
Maid
Maid

Post by nightcancerwolf »

What is Thaco?
Tarlyn
Regular

Post by Tarlyn »

To Hit Armor Class 0 in 2nd as well as 1st edition.
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Another thing that annoyed my in 2nd ed is the sheer illogicalness (yes, I made that up) of it.

All the bloody numbers are the opposite of most of other RPG systems!!
lesser AC is better than more
lower attack is better than more
lower saves is better than higher saves.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Tarlyn
Regular

Post by Tarlyn »

[quote="CrankyOzzie":1zbu966d]Another thing that annoyed my in 2nd ed is the sheer illogicalness (yes, I made that up) of it.

All the bloody numbers are the opposite of most of other RPG systems!!
lesser AC is better than more
lower attack is better than more
lower saves is better than higher saves.[/quote:1zbu966d]

Curious: How long did you play 2nd edition? I played it for quite a few years and had no problems with it. Than again this is not a debate about which is better. To each his own I say. We all have our own preferences for editions. I don't really have one. I just love playing D&D period.

Each RPG system is difft. I've played Vampire the Masquerade, it is different from AD&D 2nd, 3rd Ed, or D&D 3.5. You just learn to adapt is all.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:10asjh82]AD&D is pretty cool.[/color:10asjh82] :devil:
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

I agree. D&D has its ups and downs. I like very much the system. It's well built. What I don't understand, is why pcs get so freakin' strong?? Anyway I've come up with my own system and RPG world, and am about to test it any day now. You can die as easily as in Warhammer, but other things are D&D based.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="CrankyOzzie":2o41bnjr]illogicalness (yes, I made that up)[/quote:2o41bnjr]
[b:2o41bnjr]illogicalness[/b:2o41bnjr]

[i:2o41bnjr]noun[/i:2o41bnjr]
invalid or incorrect reasoning [syn: illogicality] [ant: logicality]

(see [url=http://dictionary.reference.com/search? ... 6:2o41bnjr]Dictionary.com[/url:2o41bnjr])

Seems to be a perfectly sound word. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee