Hello!

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

@ Tarlyn: I never actually sat down around a table and played 2nd edition D&D. I do know a guy who used to play it a lot when he was younger, though, and he tried explaining things to me. I got the general gist of it, but the complexity of the system was over my head.
Like I said, as opposed to most other RPG systems [i:2lsbvzlc]I[/i:2lsbvzlc] know of, where more = better, 2nd ed seemed all back to front, where [i:2lsbvzlc]less[/i:2lsbvzlc] seemed to be better.

I also didn't like the restrictions placed on level advancment and class/race mixes. Why could an Elf not be a paladin? Why could a Dwarf not be a wizard? Why where Elves capped at level 16 (I think, my memory is hazy on that) yet humans could advance all the way to 20?

3/3.5 Ed has probably led to a lot more "power builds" in terms of being able to mix and match any race and class, but it's also opened up a LOT of avenues for role play. Maybe your Elf's parents were killed in a Drow raid, and his thirst for revenge left him twisted and evil, eventually leading him to become an assassin? Or maybe he was adopted by a church of Lathander, and became a paladin, vowing to fight evil wherever it was, but also being compassionate? 2nd edition, from that I recall, would have restricted both these scenarios, since elves could not be evil, nor could they be paladins. I could be wrong, I often am.

I am not saying it is a bad system and should crawl into a corner and die and anyone who plays it is behind the times. It's just far too convuluted and complex for me to grasp. Why have 16, 17, then 18/15, 18/25, 18/00 (or however it went) strength, instead of going right to 19 strength? Especially since the number 18 seemed to be some magical number where this only ever happened.

OK.. OK.. I'll end the ranting now.

@ Shir'le: Oh, well. I'll invent ANOTHER word then!11!one!!!1111!
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

I need to ask...

I recently dug up the Complete Book of Elves from my brother's (yonder) Dusty Vault of Old Books and in the whole book, I saw a mention of Drow...a full three times (enemy of the High Elves, turned from the Light, betreyed the other Elves ...), and that's about it.

I realize that they were'nt a great favourite at that time, but to mention them at all. They're evil and vile creatures but to mention them like this and only this? IT's cruel...
:3
Tarlyn
Regular

Post by Tarlyn »

That is probably why they made the Drow of the Underdark book...