Ideas

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Which one would make for an interesting character or plot?

Idea #1
75%
Idea #2
No votes
Idea #3
25%

Total votes: 4

CrankyOzzie
Regular

Ideas

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Some ideas I've had bouncing around in my bone box tonight.

#1: A male* Drow, scarred and, well, ugly. Given the Drow's obsession with beauty in all things, he's been forced to live on the outskirts of society for years. His face is scarred from acne. A Drow with pimples? Yes, since 4 generations ago his great-great grandmother had a dalliance with a human, and the human genes pop up from time to time. Due to having to fight tooth and nail, his nose has been broken multiple times, leaving it rather flat on his face.
He has an ugly disposition, too, being rather surly and stand-offish.

What happens to him? Will he discover that Eilistraeen Drow will care for him, since - somehow, for some reason - he's found his way to the surface? Will he have a change of heart, though still retaining his surly, stand-offish nature, and turn good? Will he try to kill the Drow, thinking they are baiting him, so they can mock him further?

What do you think?
*This could work just as well for a female drow

#2 A character - not necessarily a Drow - somehow stumbles upon a portal to Earth. How do they deal with the technology? It would seem like magic to them, would'nt it? What would they do if they picked up a copy of a D&D book or novel and read a few pages? How would they make themselves understood? Would they be captured as aliens and have tests conducted on them? How will they react to the fairly equal society (assuming they are from say, Lolthian society). What will they think of our music and other forms of art or entertrainment?

#3 As with #2, but in reverse. A human (or any member of a technological race, for that matter) finds themselves somehow in the Forgotten Realms.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I think 2&3 are a bit overdone. Take someone from the future/past and put them in te past/future and see what happens. Though I admit that I've wondered how a drow might act in today's world.

However idea #1 sounds interesting enough. Though I doubt the drow would live very long in Lolthian society. And who'd want to play a drow with pimples? :p

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

I like #1 best. But a drow with pimples seems..... too odd to me. I personaly would have him just rather scared. Got trapped in a fire as a child or somesuch, and survived, but his skin is irrepairable... More cliche however.
crow
Maid
Maid

ideas

Post by crow »

Number 2 has some merit as an "idea" but that is all, The best has to be no 1 . As when drow are played as pcs they are steriotyped as beatiful creatures, without blemish. An ugly drow is unusual especially in a lothian society where he would be killed as a freak or worse, made to live with non drow ( Gnolls Bugbears etc) :devil:
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Re: ideas

Post by CrankyOzzie »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":333ufu9t]I think 2&3 are a bit overdone. Take someone from the future/past and put them in te past/future and see what happens. Though I admit that I've wondered how a drow might act in today's world.[/quote:333ufu9t]

You know, when I woke up this morning, I thought of that. The time travel-esque idea, that is. I breifly played an Elf from what could best be described as an 'alternate reality', on an nwn server. In his world, Elves, Half-Elves, and Humans were the the more prevalent races. Gnomes and Dwarves were pretty much set apart from the rest of the society. Halflings no longer existed. Half-Orcs were the outcasts of society, relegated to the dirtier tasks like sanitation, demolition, etc. It was a society that was in some ways more technologically advanced than ours. Magic was pretty much extinct, and anyone found to be using it was subject to the death penalty.

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":333ufu9t] However idea #1 sounds interesting enough. Though I doubt the drow would live very long in Lolthian society. And who'd want to play a drow with pimples? Razz[/quote:333ufu9t]

I would, for one. Just because it IS 'different' Quite a challenger too, I'd imagine, if he did tirn good. How would I balance his surly, stand-offish nature with his desire to do good?

[quote="velve":333ufu9t]I like #1 best. But a drow with pimples seems..... too odd to me. I personaly would have him just rather scared. Got trapped in a fire as a child or somesuch, and survived, but his skin is irrepairable... More cliche however.[/quote:333ufu9t]
Yeah. Maybe it was some sort of toxin, eh? I mean, Drow are resiliant towards poison, but I don't think they're immune, right?

[quote="crow":333ufu9t] An ugly drow is unusual especially in a lothian society where he would be killed as a freak [b:333ufu9t]or worse, made to live with non drow[/b:333ufu9t] (emphasis mine) ( Gnolls Bugbears etc) :devil:[/quote:333ufu9t]

Yes, that's the gist of it. He didn't become ugly until he was the Drow equivalent of a teenager.
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

Post by Nedylene »

As for 2 and 3 , I have actually done both. But keep this in mind, I usually play with just my guy and myself, so we are entitled to a bit of power gaming. We actually came to the conclusion that Ed Greenwood was none other than Elminster of Shadowdale himself, having excaped the annoyance of whiney adventurers and moved to the earth realm where he made himself a tidy profit in fantasy.I ran a game where an earthling gamer geek got sucked into a portal and found himself in faerun, and has never been happier.lol..
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Nedylene":1rpbdh3d]I ran a game where an earthling gamer geek got sucked into a portal and found himself in faerun, and has never been happier.lol..[/quote:1rpbdh3d]
I did something like that as well once (not Faerûn though). Tried some diceless roleplaying where my players were basically playing themselves, suddenly finding themselves waking up in a fantasy world. The goal was for them to get back. But, unfortunately, they didn't [i:1rpbdh3d]want[/i:1rpbdh3d] to get back. :nonono:

Never played more than one session of that.

Oh, and one of my City of Heroes characters was an Eilistraeen drow who found herself transported to the future. With her big sword she then proceeded to whoop some evildoer butt. ;) Was fun for a while.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Idea 2.

Now, that I have to see....Nice way to *spread* the genes :devil:
:3
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

Hey, I saw you started the 'Lurker in the dark' thread, mind if I joined in with my half-elf character? Haven't played her here before.

If so, I may have her starting in the village inn, so she wouldn't instantly notice your character or anything, but I thought it would be the most likely place for her to start.
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

Post by Nedylene »

I think I mentioned in the thread I started on famous last words about a character who came to faerun from a futuristic post apopolypstic...( sorry bad spelling day) world. Armed with a sawed off , an m16 and the ability to make primitive bullets ...boy that was fun. Hello cr 20 black dragon..
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=darkred:3d4jqpoj]Knew there was a reason I liked you, Ned. Sounds great to me too.[/color:3d4jqpoj] :devil:
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination