*Blink*

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

*Blink*

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Oh I do understand the bot has been a distraction, just not sure why the RP or other sections have gotten few posts.

Starting to believe some of you are looking just to see how well I keep up with the bot.
Pheurazath
Regular

Re: *Blink*

Post by Pheurazath »

I'm kinda curious how this Google [Bot] even has access. I thought the application process for a user account is designed to keep bots [b:1xvc6vz6][i:1xvc6vz6][u:1xvc6vz6]OUT[/u:1xvc6vz6][/i:1xvc6vz6][/b:1xvc6vz6].
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

The same way the spam bot got access, the host required a more secure system. The code for registration is less secure clearly. The back door security hopefully more secure.

Goggle, Yahoo, Bing, etc. search engine bots do no harm and always had access to copy. They never disrupt like that spam bot of which have deleted over 700 times and will soon need to delete posts or topics again.
Rhei Lor'akris
Regular

Post by Rhei Lor'akris »

Yeah, at this point the bot posts so much, there is no point of even reporting the advertisement posts. :(

[url=http://forums.minegarde.com/topic/4974- ... /:dmvdcugp]I found some ideas floating around on the Internet on hindering spambots:[/url:dmvdcugp]
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Rhei Lor'akris":41z92ajn]Yeah, at this point the bot posts so much, there is no point of even reporting the advertisement posts. :(

[url=http://forums.minegarde.com/topic/4974- ... /:41z92ajn]I found some ideas floating around on the Internet on hindering spambots:[/url:41z92ajn][/quote:41z92ajn]

Well, I think 10 were reported, I was so busy deleting that did not bother with reading the reports.

I know there are ways to block or limit bots, however I have not earned enough trust to be given that level of access.
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

not sure, but did you accidently delete a working RP. i cant find "Dark Moon" anymore in the Roleplaying page.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar":2vxqa0la]not sure, but did you accidently delete a working RP. i cant find "Dark Moon" anymore in the Roleplaying page.[/quote:2vxqa0la]

Went though log and it does not appear to have been deleted by Shir'le or me.
Will look again to be sure.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":13tdiabd][quote="Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar":13tdiabd]not sure, but did you accidently delete a working RP. i cant find "Dark Moon" anymore in the Roleplaying page.[/quote:13tdiabd]

Went though log and it does not appear to have been deleted by Shir'le or me.
Will look again to be sure.[/quote:13tdiabd]

Looked again, on way back. Yes it got caught, at this point hoping Shir'le can restore from delete. If not so far I managed to retrieve page 3. Somewhere in the middle.

I might get fired, but will try to find other pages.
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Don't worry about it, I will just put up another thread. Nothing particularly amazing has happened yet. :P Just introductions and a barely worth mentioning fight :P.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I've [url=viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2101&p=41652#p41652:1bzvqtka]added a post[/url:1bzvqtka] to the Dark Moon RP thread. As I've said there I've taken measures to try and prevent accidents like this in the future.

I'll also have to investigate, again, if there are any more measures to stop spam bots because this last wave of mass spam bots is rather more horrid than anything before. But I really don't want to make the forum harder to use for legitimate users either.

[i:1bzvqtka]<sigh>[/i:1bzvqtka] Sorry for the mess. :/

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

i say, burn um (thos spammer things) at the stake! ;) :p :D
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

I too would like to apologize for my comments on this thread, albeit this is a bit belated. I didn't intend to come off being rude or overly crtical. In all honesty I feel for all those who have to do the gritty work of trying to keep the spam off this site, and appreciate their hard work. Even so, I too have been vigilant and attentive for as many posts as I can find by these spammers, and reported them when I find them.

It just annoys me, that this site went down once, due to what I understood as being a security issue. And now it seems like security is worse as compared to before it was taken down, which upsets me more, as I'm sure it does those of you who have had to do so much more work than before to keep the spammers out.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Pheurazath":2c7kc1p5]It just annoys me, that this site went down once, due to what I understood as being a security issue. And now it seems like security is worse as compared to before it was taken down, which upsets me more, as I'm sure it does those of you who have had to do so much more work than before to keep the spammers out.[/quote:2c7kc1p5]
Indeed it does (annoy me that is). When the site went down months ago my ISP told me that it was because my forum software endangered their other sites or something. Now, I think that's utter BS, but what can you do. So I installed the new forum.

I'm not entirely sure why things have gotten worse. Maybe the spam bots only target this version of phpBB and my old forum was too old for them to understand. Or maybe some of the spam protection that I had in place on the old one was very effective. Or maybe it was something else. Either way though it seems that using the moderation queue seems to work well enough. We still get spam bots trying to post spam, but they're all caught by the moderation queue which, between Bhaern and myself, makes it very easy to deal with (without risking any legitimate threads/posts).

I would like to thank those of you who have been vigilant and helped report posts to us in the past. That too has been a great help and though I hope it won't be needed anymore, if it is please continue to report posts as it helps us a lot. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

only time get to click the '!' ;)
signature made by Larlan
~Character~