New Character: Varro

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Grahl
Maid
Maid

New Character: Varro

Post by Grahl »

So, new concept came to me, something I've wanted to try out, just for kicks. I'm still working on an actual character sheet, but Varro, while I may refer to it as 'him' or 'her', being among those varieties of Tanar'ri that are technically genderless, may be referred to in either fashion, depending on inclination, and usually the latest victim. So, the short and sweet of it is as follows, Varro is a Vrock, a little tougher than your run-of-the-mill variety, who has cleverly worked out an arrangement with a particular young ambitious mage in the Hosttower. Normally when a Demon is slain on the mortal plane, it is banished to the Abyss for one century, by mortal reckoning, UNLESS someone from the mortal plane summons him, thus ending that banishment. The arrangement is an exchange of helping this mage grow in power without the effort to earn it, every time Varro is slain/banished, the mage will summon the Vrock again, and with each summoning, Varro will demand a small child, either boy or girl depending on a whim, be present and asleep within the summoning circle, so that when Varro appears and wakes the child, mage and demon alike play a trick of illusions, making the child to believe they are surrounded by demons of all sorts, and that Varro to appear as an angel there to protect the child. This little ploy endears Varro to the child, and usually forms a bond of trust which allows Varro to possess the child.

There after, child possessed by Varro roams free, sometimes with Varro in full control, sometimes as a passenger dropping suggestions, and even occasions of being merely an observer. The terrible powers, and incredibly evil acts committed by Varro, through the child's body, are memories clouded with false memories that the child is more willing to believe, that there are lots of strange people in the world, and many of them are evil monsters in disguise, and when Varro, their 'Guardian Angel' takes over, all those innocent people that are actually slaughtered, are remembered as horrible, evil monsters being heroically slain by Varro's powers. To the child possessed, Varro is their hero, most trusted friend, and a 'Real Life Guardian Angel'. Telling child apart from child controlled by Varro however, can be extremely tricky. So long as the possessed person lives however, Varro will keep up the possession, even into adult-hood. By that time, the ploys of innocent child in need of help may no longer work, but there'll still be plenty of mischief to get up to in other aspects of mortal life. Varro, will however, usually abandon the possessed, around their 20th or 30th year, and start over, in part out of boredom, and to relish in watching how that previous host, taking the Vrock's protection for granted, does without it.

For those rare occasions a host child survives to maturity, you can absolutely bet there has been numerous half-fiends sired and/or birthed, depending on the respective gender of the host.
:evillol:
Red Dragon: See how the elf writhes as it burns, Little Naien?
Young Naien: Oooooh! So beautiful, can I burn one?! PLEASSSSE?!
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Re: New Character: Varro

Post by Rainbow Prism »

A nice recurring villain. But for every recurrng villain, there should be recurring hero. A hunter, who will be banishing this monster. After continuous encounters, he will suspect that he is helped. And new adventurers will gather together, drawn by one goal.

I think for every action there is counterpart.
Grahl
Maid
Maid

Post by Grahl »

A sound notion, but I'm not interested in playing heroes. I might play the occasional unlikely hero, hero whose heroics are either against their will, or entirely by accident or circumstance, but I leave it to other people to band together and want to hunt down the source of my villains. Big problem with Varro, is the Prime Material plane is chock-full of mages who have no problem consorting with a demon to take short-cuts in growing to greater power than their peers, or superiors, in short order. For these sorts who care more about their own gain than the wickedness of things they might have to do to achieve it, Varro has a nearly endless supply of mortal cohorts who will feel no shame at sacrificing a child to the demon's possession, and turning a blind eye to the havoc that occurs elsewhere, for the demon's twisted entertainment.

So, even if his present Hosttower ally is taken out, there's always another sucker out there willing to make the same trade for short-cuts in gaining more power. Only real way to put Varro down is to hunt him down in The Abyss, during a period in which he has been slain on the mortal plane, OR something even more difficult and nearly impossible, is to discover his True Name, and with it, order him to change his ways in some fashion or another. Even then, ability to fly will be crucial to hunting him down, as with the one and only Demon Prince that Varro submits to, Pazuzu, he keeps to the same sky-bound domains of The Abyss as his one recognized superior. In Varro's eyes, a death on the mortal plane, is always [b:nnvk01yb][i:nnvk01yb]just[/i:nnvk01yb][/b:nnvk01yb] a setback, delay, or minor inconvenience, and never a failure. So long as there are mortals either mages, priests of evil or chaotic gods, or even warlocks who will trade on despicable acts of evil and corruption, for short-cuts in gaining power, or alliances with demonic forces, Varro will always have a way back into the Mortal Plane.

By all means, however, if through the course of future RPs folks begin wanting to do something about this demonic terror, after realizing it's not just a random possession but a recurring problem, which may indicate the demon has assistance on the mortal plane, I'll gladly set in motion a RP thread that will help that quest to begin.
:evillol:
Red Dragon: See how the elf writhes as it burns, Little Naien?
Young Naien: Oooooh! So beautiful, can I burn one?! PLEASSSSE?!
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

[quote="Grahl":1g33hqxm]A sound notion, but I'm not interested in playing heroes. I might play the occasional unlikely hero, hero whose heroics are either against their will, or entirely by accident or circumstance, but I leave it to other people to band together and want to hunt down the source of my villains. Big problem with Varro, is the Prime Material plane is chock-full of mages who have no problem consorting with a demon to take short-cuts in growing to greater power than their peers, or superiors, in short order. For these sorts who care more about their own gain than the wickedness of things they might have to do to achieve it, Varro has a nearly endless supply of mortal cohorts who will feel no shame at sacrificing a child to the demon's possession, and turning a blind eye to the havoc that occurs elsewhere, for the demon's twisted entertainment.

So, even if his present Hosttower ally is taken out, there's always another sucker out there willing to make the same trade for short-cuts in gaining more power. Only real way to put Varro down is to hunt him down in The Abyss, during a period in which he has been slain on the mortal plane, OR something even more difficult and nearly impossible, is to discover his True Name, and with it, order him to change his ways in some fashion or another. Even then, ability to fly will be crucial to hunting him down, as with the one and only Demon Prince that Varro submits to, Pazuzu, he keeps to the same sky-bound domains of The Abyss as his one recognized superior. In Varro's eyes, a death on the mortal plane, is always [b:1g33hqxm][i:1g33hqxm]just[/i:1g33hqxm][/b:1g33hqxm] a setback, delay, or minor inconvenience, and never a failure. So long as there are mortals either mages, priests of evil or chaotic gods, or even warlocks who will trade on despicable acts of evil and corruption, for short-cuts in gaining power, or alliances with demonic forces, Varro will always have a way back into the Mortal Plane.

By all means, however, if through the course of future RPs folks begin wanting to do something about this demonic terror, after realizing it's not just a random possession but a recurring problem, which may indicate the demon has assistance on the mortal plane, I'll gladly set in motion a RP thread that will help that quest to begin.[/quote:1g33hqxm]

Reading the first paragraph here I got a hell of a laugh imagining the aspiring villain that in the end ALWAYS accidentally saves the day. No matter where he goes or what he does he always saves the day... on accident.