RP Thread idea...

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Ogrim
Maid
Maid

RP Thread idea...

Post by Ogrim »

Last time I tried running a RP I was just getting my feet wet, and the idea was pretty raw, and frankly more oriented around testing the morals and puzzle-solving skills of the adventurers who answered the call for heroes. To the disappointment of some, I decided to drop that RP as everyone was constantly itching for a battle. Now I have invented a new plot, and thought best to discuss the premise of it, before I try running it, just to see what people think of it before I start it.

I haven't chosen a name or specific location for the events of this yet, I was thinking perhaps a small farming community or such amidst Neverwinter Wood, or a similarly large wooded area. But the story begins with those who have the benefit of druid/ranger abilities, or familiars or animal companions who can relay a message circulating among wild animals, of a human village in which something unnatural and evil is occurring. Adventurers who arrive there by flight, or stealthily, will likely enter the village without initially meeting the person who sent out this message, and instead find what seems a very normal town, except that the entire population seems comprised of idiotically smiling simpletons who go about repeating the same task or chosen phrase incessantly. Some examples might be the town crier, declaring, "Midnight hour, and all's well!" at the passing of EVERY hour, or a woodcutter who keeps chopping the same log until it's nothing but splinters.

Those who arrive without trying to hide their approach and coming by land, will be intercepted by the Ranger, responsible for sending this message. This person's voice will sound more alike to a bug than a vertebrate, but still it's quite humanoid. She, will be clad in a generous degree of concealing clothes, enough so that without removing them all one can actually see is that they're humanoid of some type. She has a yeast-like odor about her, and will go on to greet the arriving adventurers, thank 'the gods' that they came, and inform them of scouting evidence of an Ankheg having past through the area, before the village began behaving strangely. Also some details about the town's behavior, and how even visiting merchants that have entered the town have not left for the next town for several weeks (or tendays as the folk of Faerun say). This Ranger, will of course lend some limited help in the matter, but as a side note her race are particularly wary of elves, as one of their primary means of combat is sleep effects, which elves are immune to. Anyone playing surface elf types common to forested regions, I'll give the benefit of maybe knowing or at least suspecting they know what race this ranger is, and likewise inform them of how most elves view them.

Beyond these details, I don't want to discuss too much, for fear of including some massive plot spoilers. With what I've provided though, I'd welcome comments, and suggestions.
Last edited by Ogrim on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pheurazath
Regular

Re: RP Thread idea...

Post by Pheurazath »

Yay! Smiling simpletons and giant bugs! Sounds like one of the dreams I had last time I got smashed on Vodka. Well, I'd join in... MAYBE, if someone else who knows Virgil shares the news. Skrach usually makes a point of avoiding human settlements, except for Calimport and Luskan, where wererats can find others of their kind, usually as some part of literally underground criminal organization, but at least friendly to most if not all fellow rats.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
C'nor
Maid
Maid

Post by C'nor »

It sounds interesting. I'm not seeing any particular flaws with it, though without the massive plot spoilers,they could be hard to spot.

Also, I'm not sure if you're looking for people to post interest in playing in it here or not, but just in case you are, I'd be up for doing so, if I could come up with a suitable character.
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

I have one idea. I will send PM about it.
Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Post by Ogrim »

Those interested in participating, by all means let me know on here. I'm also just getting an assessment of the idea itself, as I'm still making this as much an adventure as a mystery. People trying to magic and melee their way through this, will be liable to not get very far, or find their characters in danger of being food for something bigger (or a lot of somethings smaller). Players and their characters, will need to keep their wits about them, and be able to use their wits.

By no means am I saying characters who attack first and think later are unwelcome, just that the real enemy might be overlooked, and go deeper into hiding. Furthermore, I've decided to open news of this call for help to all rangers and druids, as well as elven cities, and taverns where ever goodly adventurers tend to frequent. ( I suppose the call might leak to some of the bad sorts too just trying to avoid a four-way conflict of interests.)
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

I have an idea for a character that I wanted to introduce a long time ago, but I am not sure how many will look on his class. I have no idea how people act toward the jack-of-all-trades, especially if it is unusual class. Is it okay to go with any class?
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Rainbow Prism":3k7a0da7]I have an idea for a character that I wanted to introduce a long time ago, but I am not sure how many will look on his class. I have no idea how people act toward the jack-of-all-trades, especially if it is unusual class. Is it okay to go with any class?[/quote:3k7a0da7]

If the play starts as a Campaign you need permission to play by the Starting poster, if the play is free flow any can join, however should a player introduce a character not in the general theme odds are good they will be ignored.

So as it stands right now if play starts as free flow you can bring in any character that is balanced and/or be acceptable to other players. Two basic guidelines, do not bring in over powered character and do not demand other players to accept your play offer - minor details can be worked out in OOC discussions if players have concern about character and/or style of play. In free flow sometimes a character is not considered acceptable based on just how enters play, clearly most would reject the overpowered hero type that changes the developing story line. Free Flow is a never ending story until all retire.

Campaign, any unpermitted intrusion of play will be deleted.
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

Oh, and question to OP. While we want to avoid the players to use mechanics and stuff, what level is fitting for characters? For some it may define how much they can do, combat or not.
Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Post by Ogrim »

Well, let me see this proposed character, and I'll consider it. I've seen some pretty clever multi-class combos, that could be described the same way. I'm not going to ask for a lot of hard campaign-style play here. I'd like this to be more about RP than campaign mechanics. Still, I'd recommend writing out a character sheet, for reference, and confine your character's abilities to what's there.

There will be some cues for using a bit of campaign mechanics that I can't simply just determine happens one way or another without some give and take. I just want to keep it fair and try to avoid made-up classes that establish a character as able to handle everything alone. For instance, even if a jack-of-all-trades, could do a little bit of everything from every standard class, I would be inclined to say that with such a wide range of disciplines, a character of equal level to one who is focused on one or two classes, would be vastly inferior in the same skills and abilities.

As for levels, I'm recommending at least 4th level characters, and as high as 8th. Still, I may change this depending on how many people join in as well.

So now, all I need to decide on, is a location, and Dale Reckoning time frame.