Being the DM; How things work?

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Cipherof3vil
Maid
Maid

Being the DM; How things work?

Post by Cipherof3vil »

How do you rp the Traveling and Camp scenes?
I'm a new DM. And in games I've played before, these scenes are always skipped. It leaves no appreciation for Time.
edit: yes, I'm talking the tabletops xD
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

As a DM myself, I have often used travel or camp times as a way to add encounters or have PC interactions. Some DM's skip over these seemingly mundane parts of a campaign, but they are losing out on some valuable in-game moments. One of my most memorable moments ever was springing an encounter on my group when one decided to set snares for game for food. They ended up catching a were-rabbit!
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Well to be honest, there really is no 'set' way to DM the Travel and Camp scenes of a campaign; however, since I have sort of a first hand knowledge of how you can do this. To say the least, you at least wanna get the mood right for traveling, as in, being the DM, you are in charge of describing all the little details of the party traveling, including what they'll see, what the weather will be like, how the road is. In truth, this isn't really that hard, just take a walk through the woods or a drive into the mountains, etc. Really, for traveling scenes, as DM, what you put into them is what you get out basically, from my experience.

However, campfire/base-camp scenes are a tad bit different, in the fact that you kinda have to find a way to spark dialogues between folks. When doing this I found that it's better to do such scenes right with the player of whatever character you want to hold a conversation with. Three way, and above, conversations, generally don't work so well, from what I've found. You can't really get things said and done in such scenarios. My advice for such scenes, let each of the characters orient themselves in the camp and then spark up a conversation with one, and let the others do the same, OORRR try and hold a group discussion about something random, though generally, as DM you have to sorta dictate where that conversation leads and how it's played out, etc, etc.

Well hope this helps.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Cipherof3vil
Maid
Maid

Post by Cipherof3vil »

Aye. I guess it does.
Just be a descriptor... I'm probably not too good in that aspect. I'm not good at using words Live. I need moments to think things through before I let it out. (like online or in chats)
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

In part it also depends what your players want.

You could go into great detail.

*The sun is starting to set and the horses are starting to get tried. Ahead of of you a short difference more so see a small brook running though the grasslands you have be traveling to. It clearly might be a good place to camp next to the water. Off to your right you see a grass covered hill, not too far from the brook however a place better defended if something should go bump in the eve or night. There of course is always to keep going in hopes of finding a better place to shelter.*

What a DM does is offer options, the above example offers three options. At least one of the players have to offer the idea of making camp. The caller after the characters discuss ideas decides whet the party decides to do. As for camp discussions before going to sleep, unless you have an NPC with the party you do not have to worry about that.
Some parties certainly can decide to eat, set guard shifts (if desired) take care of animals, then sleep or rest until the next morning.
If this path is followed the only concern the DM needs to worry about is a wondering monster or some other outside event that effects the camp.

If the PCs what to talk about the campfire a few hours it is up to them, if you have NPC with party of course would also likely be expected to engage in camp talk.
Cipherof3vil
Maid
Maid

Post by Cipherof3vil »

Thing is none of the players here have any idea of roleplaying. They just expect to go skipping around fight to fight... They'd never come up with the idea to stop and camp by themselves, or with subtle guiding.

Is there any way to bring normality into an Epic level game?
(Highest level character is 25, lowest is 20)
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

[quote="Cipherof3vil":2kxut4dv]Aye. I guess it does.
Just be a descriptor... I'm probably not too good in that aspect. I'm not good at using words [/quote:2kxut4dv]

eh, neither am i. actually, im really terrible (i can imagine better than i can word it). but they let me stay around. :D :))
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Ha ha, the people here tend to work around that :) Have no fear, they are all very much adept at getting conversations going for you.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Cipherof3vil":135ghk1o]Thing is none of the players here have any idea of roleplaying. They just expect to go skipping around fight to fight... They'd never come up with the idea to stop and camp by themselves, or with subtle guiding.

Is there any way to bring normality into an Epic level game?
(Highest level character is 25, lowest is 20)[/quote:135ghk1o]

Up to those levels, based on something like hack and slash, there is is difficult to make role play become normal. Normal of course is what they are used to. If the players achieving should levels based mostly on killing things it certainly becomes hard to get them to discover they might need to get help. Getting help requires talking to people.

I do not know your games, however it clearly appears most of it was based on dice rolls as opposed to character interaction.

The few NPCs talked to only told them the problem, offered reward or provided a clue on how to complete adventure.

The only possible way so high a level could be encouraged to do more role as opposed to roll play I can think of right no is have them face an unbeatable for without asking for help. Either the party charges in and dies or they learn to ask for help, to talk more with NPCs and talk with each other in character.

In general, I suspect you went it go too far before trying to get more role into "role play" and your players might not like any change.
Cipherof3vil
Maid
Maid

Post by Cipherof3vil »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":104ypg3i]

The only possible way so high a level could be encouraged to do more role as opposed to roll play I can think of right no is have them face an unbeatable for without asking for help. Either the party charges in and dies or they learn to ask for help, to talk more with NPCs and talk with each other in character.

In general, I suspect you went it go too far before trying to get more role into "role play" and your players might not like any change.[/quote:104ypg3i]

I just barely assumed command of the table, My position is still rather weak and one player in particular challenges my semi-authority meanwhile one (The more experienced one I might add) loves it.

But these players, I have five, most of them would dislike such a challenge since its so different from their usual play style that can't really be called roleplaying.
I hate it. I want to change it...

If I threw a situation where they'd have to find alternate means other then hack and slash, they'd bitch that its too hard. I've almost made two storm off because the monsters they were fighting wouldn't die, and dealt massive damage (but were insanely slow) It should have been obvious you don't want them to catch you and to otherwise ignore them to reach the goal at the other side of the map. But the idiots stood there waving daggers at them!
It probably would have helped it the experienced player was with the group during that match, but still.
My players have no skill in role playing... What do I do with these?

1: Uncle, Experienced player and DM, adult who first played back as a teen.
2: Brother, age 14, I can tell he tries to role with it sometimes, but its unfavorable and he does it poorly.
3: Brother, Age 14, twin to above. Hes more of a twit really. To him it seems to be all about combat.
4: Brother, Age 12. Complete idiot that doesn't often even show intrest in the game yet baggers to let him play. And I of course, can't refuse him because hes "special" and to deny him would hurt him even if he doesn't really want to play. Mothers on his side... bah..
5: Brother, age 9 (or was it ten..) Shows interest. but is constantly trying to do things out of game, like buying crap without telling anyone then "Forgetting" to write it on the sheet. Questionable, not trustworthy. But he shows interest, hes just completely clueless to the point of brain damage. I have to tell him things at least ten times for it to stick...
Then of course theres myself:
6: Sister, age 17, DM: Tries to be creative, tries to fill the world with as many options as possible. Player: Finds loopholes, reads all material and connects them to craft characters who are completely legal but maybe a bit too useful. But its not all about powerplay, my characters try to have three dimensions rather then being a cardboard cutout or plastic figure on the map.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

There then appears to be no answer with this group of players.

Play is susposed to be fun for all, if the players just want to kill things they are having fun.
You however are not having much fun.

Resign as DM for the party, maybe turning chair over to the player that has most experience in game. Become a player and introduce more role in on going or new game.
Only other option is get new players. ven starting a new campaign at level one would not change the style of play the players are used to.

You though with a new game perhaps award role play points by awarding less points for kills.

Of course you could call a meeting together with players and indicate you want to see more role, some might be willing to change play style as opposed to having no game or taking up the task of DM.
Cipherof3vil
Maid
Maid

Post by Cipherof3vil »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":6zzof0jp]
You though with a new game perhaps award role play points by awarding less points for kills.
[/quote:6zzof0jp]

Thats great!

I'll reduce XP for killing down to 1/4th, and increase Skil Checks or similar events by X 1.5.
I'll also award role playing with XP, items, or other perks depending on the role.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well I would go with 1/2 for kills and defeating traps, save 1/4 for story award, that is completing a quest or adventure, the remaining 104 to be awarded for role play that you like or desire to see.

Tell players you are proposing a new campaign that will be slow advancement, that they will only receive for sure 1/2 experience points compared to regulat games, that at your desecration bonus points will be awarded based on how they play and completing a task.

Some might not like the idea and you still might lose players, you still might in the end have to get new players.
Your goal is to make it fun for all, some players might not want to even consider being 1st level again, others might not like slow advancement.

It clearly is at least an idea you can offer current group.
Cipherof3vil
Maid
Maid

Post by Cipherof3vil »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":3m8jkvru]
Some might not like the idea and you still might lose players, you still might in the end have to get new players.
Your goal is to make it fun for all, some players might not want to even consider being 1st level again, others might not like slow advancement.

It clearly is at least an idea you can offer current group.[/quote:3m8jkvru]

My Uncle stopped DM'ing for us (Trying to push one of us to learn the ropes)
So If I don't do it they're only option is to not play all together. Personally, I rather HOPE a certain two of them quit... (The 12 and 9-10 year old... Is it pathetic that I don't know one of my brothers ages? two actually)
NathreeDe'Shezbron
Lord||Lady

Post by NathreeDe'Shezbron »

Eh, no worries, I don't know how old my cousins are :P.
But if the younger ones are ruining the experience for the rest of you, then that is pretty good grounds for excluding them. I wouldn't have taken them in the first place, because of their age :P.
A fight need not end with the death of participant. A fight also ends when the desire to do violence is gone.

Zyeke