A New Hope

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Razul
Maid
Maid

A New Hope

Post by Razul »

Hello,

I'm new to the forums here and surprisingly have used the internet for the first time to answer some questions I have formed after being told some news by friends who are long time gamers and avid readers of the FR material.
I currently run a continued campaign an old friend of mine ran back when I was younger, I complimented him by continuing the stories he laid ground work for and also offered myself a little peace of mind in putting high level characters someplace in the world to promote them having ends to the stories my old DM started long ago.
Since this is the site of Elistraees chosen I had a few concerns I am finding sketchy information on in order to continue a specific character story to run my PC's through, namely my own old high level PC. I may include story information on this thread if there is an interest but for now my main concern is what precisely happened to Elistraee in the course of her death. So my questions stand thus...

(1)Who killed Elistraee-What were the aftermath effects?

(2)What is the Spell Plague-What were the aftermath effects of Mystras death?

(3)Has there been anyone able or willing to take over Elistraees portfolios-If none are available or unable, may I have suggestions on possible ideas?

I know some of these questions are daunting and will spawn alot of debate, but as a player and former Male Cleric of Elistraee I would like some answers I have not found solid leads or information about my beloved Goddes who changed the way I played forever.
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Greetings, Razul, and welcome to Chosen.

To give ya a brief idea,
Halisstra Melarn, once a priestess of the Dark Maiden. killed Eilistraee with the Crescent Blade, who was inhabiting the body of High Priestess Qilué Veladorn at the time of her death.

In a clever and blasted lie, spun together by Lolth, and that accursed balor, Wendonai, Halisstra was tricked into believing Eilistraee was Lolth in disguise. In a fit of rage, she decapitated the Dark Maiden.

For more info, visit: [url=http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/H ... n:t9s0ydn6]forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Halisstra_Melarn[/url:t9s0ydn6]

To your second question, it was really all caused by Mystra's assassination at the hands of Cyric and Shar. With the goddess of magic dead, the Weave went haywire, and hence forth, how the Spellplague happened.

And third, it truly depends on how one looks at the results of Eilistraee's death. After her death, the Dark Maiden's Father, Corellon, allowed the faithful of the Dark Maiden to pass into Arvandor.
But officially, no, no deity has taken up the mantle of Eilistraee after her death.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Ah, this thread would have been better posted in the Theological forums. That said, I can offer some help.

1. Eilistraee was "killed"(note, I use the term loosely, as therehas been some speculation as to whether she is even dead at all or merely gone into hiding) by Halisstra Melarn while Eilistraee was possessing the body of Quilue Veladorn (her Chosen and one of the Seven Sisters). She was killed with the Cresent Blade- her OWN sword, please note- during the Lady Penitant novels.

2. The Spellpalgue is basically the unraveling of the Weave that was caused by Mystra's death, and it basically altered the way magic works in Faerun, (don't ask me how- I don't play 4th ed, and never will after my one experience with it left a really nasty taste.) The aftermath of it is that most spell-casters lost all their magic until they learned the "new" methods of casting, and some went mad, lost all ability to use magic, or died. It also left many wild and dead magic zones, and the Weave is not gone. Not sure about the Shadow Weave.

3. This goes back to 1- Eilistraee's portfolio is currently held by her father Corellon, and her followers are now under his protection, and are also reverted back to the original "dark elves". (In other words, they're not drow anymore, they're just dark-skinned elves, with no special powers other than those of normal elves.) However, her domain in Arvandor remains intact, and her "corpse" is not in the Astral Plane like other dead gods (AFAIK), which is why some think she is not actually dead.

Most of this info is in either the aforementioned books (Sacrifice of the Widow, Ascendancy of the Last, and I can't remember the name of the middle book). There is also some stuff about it in Elminster Must Die (Mystra and Spellplague aftermath), The Ghost King (Drizzt's personal dealings with the Spellplague and its results), and bits of lore in some 4th ed source-books.

Edit: I just noticed Veraka beat me to the punch, so I will add that he is basically correct, except for the last bit, which according to the official canon at WotC, Corellon did in fact take over her portfolio, if not her "mantle"- he's taken her followers as his own, but has not otherwise changed or added any new domains. There is no new god or goddess to take her place, but since her followers are now officially allowed to rejoin the rest of the elves, that's sort of moot. Incidentally, the ruse by Lolth as written was so blatantly obvious that Halisstra had to be both insane (she was) AND a complete idiot to fall for it. And since Eilistraee was inside a mortal body at the time, technically Halisstra should have only killed her avatar,although Quilue did indeed die as well.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Razul
Maid
Maid

Post by Razul »

This information is more than helpful!

Thank you for the quick replies, I can see I'm going to ignore a few things in my campaign in order to keep my ideas intact but mostly follow the time line of events as they happen in order to reflect some changes in the world I so very love. I find it sad they went this route with the story of events and judging from other forum users the feeling is obviously mutual. I based a lot of my characters story off the fact he was one of the few males allowed into the priesthood after his tenure as a female Razela. ((I did know at least this much and must admit source material is lacking in the elves beginnings.)) If there are other web based sources or books I should check out for further information feel free to post them up, I'd be more than happy for any help I could get to solidify my drow knowledge.
Rhei Lor'akris
Regular

Post by Rhei Lor'akris »

Salutations and welcome to the Moonmaiden's Sanctuary, or the asylum as I sometimes like to think of this place as. ;)

Please make yourself at home.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Well, I might suggest Candlekeep's forums as a good place to receive answers to any Realms questions you have. I', a regular over there, and the folks are always helpful and full of useful lore. There are several forums there to ask authors and developers directly (though not all of them are on very often. However, Ed and Elaine do answer their threads regularly, and Byers and de Bie are fairly frequent posters, too.)

Linky: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com

You are correct in surmising that many fans do not like this particular development, and most of us in here tend to ignore it (myself included). You might try the general discussion forums here as well for additional lore, or the Theology section, as well.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

im as usual, late

vendui and welcome
signature made by Larlan
~Character~