Karazan - the new city

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Hi Triss,

Thanks for letting me know. I hope the game will pick up soon too. More importantly I hope Talwyn gets better.

I will update the playing notes this weekend. I've also got a few days holiday next week, which means I can devote some time to the game.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote="zellak":1gctxeep] i would like to join this game as zellak , the wizard.[/quote:1gctxeep]

Hi there,

I set the thread so that you could post, but no post was forthcoming. Can you let me know what your intentions are? :)

I'm sorry the thread has been slow recently. A number of players have been offline.
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

My intentions are to play....definately.

I seen your post about behind the scenes information and thought i would wait til you PMed me....my mistake...sorry. :oops:

So where exactly am i and my followers in the plot ?

Have we built the farms and zellak turns up at the next meeting ?

Does zellak have to petition for the right to join the community ?

How much does zellak know (if anything !) about the approaching groups (dwarves etc) ?
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote="zellak":34bcf4dl]My intentions are to play....definately.[/quote:34bcf4dl]

In which case, I apologise for holding the show up.

[quote="zellak":34bcf4dl]So where exactly am i and my followers in the plot ?[/quote:34bcf4dl]

The basic gist is that Karazan is a small settlement that will grow into a city. Depending on the actions taken by the players.

Karazan is located in a growing demiplane, which means you design your characters' backgrounds, but you're not familiar with the setting. Which is just as your PC's see it.

Zellak and his followers have arrived at Karazan, been met by Karas and given some help to get set up. Currently, your farms can [u:34bcf4dl]each[/u:34bcf4dl] grow enough to feed ten people. This total varies with the rainfall.

[u:34bcf4dl]House Zellak[/u:34bcf4dl]
17 members ()
Zellak WIZ 12 Human (male)
Akordia NPC 8 Drow (female)
Nuru WAR 1 Human (male)
Harg RNG 1 Human (male)
Boscog FTR 1 Human (male)
Mulk EXP 1 Human (male)
3 COM 2 Human, 1 Drow (female)
1 farm 1 EXP 2, 1 COM 2, 2 COM half-drow (2 male/2 female)
1 farm 1 EXP 2, 1 COM 2, 2 COM half-drow (2 male/2 female)

[quote="zellak":34bcf4dl]Have we built the farms and zellak turns up at the next meeting ?[/quote:34bcf4dl]

Yes.

[quote="zellak":34bcf4dl]Does zellak have to petition for the right to join the community ?[/quote:34bcf4dl]

No. Karas gives him that right.

[quote="zellak":34bcf4dl]How much does zellak know (if anything !) about the approaching groups (dwarves etc) ?[/quote:34bcf4dl]

He knows nothing about them. As the leader of House Zellak (please feel free to change the name if you don't like it :) ) he automatically gets a seat on the council. As for the approaching groups, he'll have to rely on his fellow councillors.

The gameplay mostly revolves around the council meetings, which should suit the play-by-post format.

Currently, I'm trying to work out how to increase the population of the city. Any ideas welcome.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Arya's been in touch with me recently. I've not heard much from Triss or Talwyn. Talwyn's a worry, he's been ill for quite some time. I do hope he's getting better.

Anyway, I will give the thread a day, and post on behalf of Talwyn and T'Riss in order to keep the game going.
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

[quote="Kiaransalyn"]
Currently, I'm trying to work out how to increase the population of the city. Any ideas welcome.[/quote]

How about increasing the population by 20% every spring, if someone new joins in then they get the lot.
Otherwise roll randomly for each new farm to see who they join.

Then drop the 20% by 5% whenever the population hits another 1000 mark. Finishing at 5% at 4000+ population.
Come and trade your D&D minis at http://www.ukroleplayers.com/forum/
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

That's an idea, or we could have it that whoever appears to be 'leading' gets a 20% increase, second gets 15%, third 10% and 4th 5%.

What do you think?
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

you could do it that way, but it would mean a 50% increase in the population...if i understand you correctly.

Its your call....you are the DM. :angel:

BTW , i think house zellak should be a stockade on the far side of the farms, so that if we are raided then the outlying farmers have somewhere to run to. They (the farmers) are our chief asset at this time , so we cannot afford to lose any to marauders.

When we get some stone, later on, i will build a tower in the town centre.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

We can change the ratios as the population increases. Currently, it's about 100, so a 50% increase will be welcome, since it gives the Houses some real numbers.

Then again, instead of percentage increase, how about a set number increase? Which means as the pop' gets higher, the real percentage increase begins to level off.

I'll set the numbers as we near the end of Karazan's first year.

As for the stockade idea, the farms are all near Karazan itself, which has recently had walls built. The farmers could all go there.
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

Oh right !

i thought 10 farms, each with around 6 to 8 fields (each the size of a football pitch ?). Some of the outling farmers would have a long way to go if raided.
Also this would give zellak a favourable edge on his relationship with the yokels (over say...the town drow, curled up in their beds at night , guarded by a militia, behind a big wall). ;)

But if the farmhouses are close to the wall , and the fields are beyond that, then ...its all good.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

The last time I calculated Karazan's population, it came to 100 - that includes the farmers.

Each farm is about 10 acres. The 'town' also has regular scouting patrols, so the alarm would be raised early enough to give people time to get behind the walls.
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

[quote="Kiaransalyn"]The last time I calculated Karazan's population, it came to 100 - that includes the farmers.

Each farm is about 10 acres. The 'town' also has regular scouting patrols, so the alarm would be raised early enough to give people time to get behind the walls.[/quote]

Good enough. :)

(p.s. isn't the pop. now 117 including house zellak ?)
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote="zellak":2tbsaldq](p.s. isn't the pop. now 117 including house zellak ?)[/quote:2tbsaldq]

Yes, that's right. :)
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Sorry for the delay in posting. I've been occupied with real life.

I've made a post basically moving the game from the council format to setting up an encounter with the duergar. This is fairer to the two most active players.
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

Great :D ....i have PMed Vielochar .