OOC sign up for The Cure of the Castle in the Mist

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

How about a screenshot from NWN2 to go with that brief description?
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Ok, on one quick pass via google, I found the following, which is 1stEd AD&D. I think you work through the details of what your beserker rage might be from that.

[b:onl8g1hr]The Berserker is a sub-class of the fighter class. Viking Humans and Trollborn may be Berserkers. To qualify as a berserker, a character must have a minimum Strength of 14, Constitution of 14, and Charisma of 13. Only Comeliness may be below 6. Strength and Constitution are considered Prime Requisites; if any berserker has both of these greater than 15, he gains +10% on experience points. The Berserker is found in the Vikings Campaign Sourcebookâ„¢, a Second Edition publication, and is not available in strict First Edition campaigns.

Berserkers are fighters who are able to release powerful but unpredictable beastly battle lusts during combat. The most powerful of these are able to become animals.

Berserkers may use any armor.

They fight as fighters, with multiple attacks at higher levels and against 0 level opponents. They advance in level as the Ranger, and earn d10 hp per level.

Berserkers may be good, neutral, or evil, but must be chaotic. They may be loyal, trustworthy, and noble, but are always unpredictable, and may be wild and willful. Each starts with 2 weapon proficiencies, and gains one every three levels. They may use any weapons except missile weapons which have no melee function.

To achieve a berserk state, the berserker must spend one round working himself into a frenzy, biting his shield, howling, et cetera. At the end of the round, the berserker must make a save v. death to reach the berserk state; otherwise, he may continue for up to ten rounds, saving at the end of each round. If he has not reached the berserk state before this, at the end of the tenth round of working, the berserk state is reached automatically.

The berserk state automatically increases Strength by 2 points, or one "category" if 18, up to a maximum of 19; all strength effects including weight allowance, hit and damage bonuses, doors, bars & gates apply. The berserker also gains 2 hp per level added to the total hp during the frenzy, which are used before normal hp. AC also improves, base AC improving by 1 class per level to a best AC of 0. Armor class bonuses such as shield, magic, and dexterity still apply (achieving a better AC), but armor negates this benefit. The berserk state also confers a +2 bonus on saves v. charms and mind-based attacks. However, once the berserk state is reached, the character must enter melee immediately. He may choose his opponent, but if he holds back from battle for more than two rounds he loses the berserk state. Once an opponent is chosen, the berserker will not change opponents until the opponent is slain or flees beyond the berserker's ability to pursue. If the character retreats, he loses the berserk state immediately, including all benefits gained. The state will end whenever the berserker wishes it to, or at the end of number of rounds equal to the character's constitution.

At the end of the berserk fury, the character must save v. death to avoid exhaustion. Exhaustion is manifested by strength five points below normal until the character has the opportunity to rest; it returns at the rate of one point per turn of rest. During this time of reduced strength, the character cannot become berserk again.

At level 4 the berserker can shape-change into a wolf, once per week. Attack table, attacks, hit points, and saves are not changed, but the character gains the speed (18"), armor class (AC7) and damage (d4+1) of the wolf. There are no strength bonuses, and the character cannot go berserk. He can understand human speech, but cannot speak without some magical intervention. He can speak to and understand wolves, but loses this power upon resuming human shape. The transformation takes one round, and no clothing or gear is changed with the berserker.

At level 7, the berserker can change into a cave bear, under the same terms and in addition to the ability to change into a wolf. In bear form, movement is 18", armor class is 6, and the character attacks three times per round doing d6/d6/d8 points of damage. If either of the first two attacks (paws) hit with at least an 18, the bear can hug for an additional 2d12 damage.

Followers are attracted at level 9.

At Be12, the berserker can shape-travel, called "hamfarir". The character sends his spirit out in the form of an animal, usually a bear, bull, falcon, raven, or wolf, but never a horse. It requires the berserker to place himself in a deep trance, and he cannot be disturbed and is unaware of his surroundings. One turn after entering the trance, his spirit form appears within 100 yards. It is an actual physical presence; only true seeing or second sight will be able to determine it to be other than an animal. It has the hp, saves, and hit probability of the character, including the +2 save bonus v. mental attacks. Its armor class is that which the character would have in his unarmored berserk state. He has his normal sensory abilities through the animal form. Damage is transferred to the berserker when the trance ends, as well as the affects of any magical attacks. Movement, attacks, and damage are dependent upon the animal form selected. The animal form cannot communicate with humans, but can communicate with like animals. This can only be done once per day, and lasts for a number of turns equal to the wisdom of the berserker. If the spirit form is slain, the berserker dies. The hamfarir can be ended upon the berserker's choice, or if he is shaken, attacked, or roughly disturbed.

When the hamfarir ends, the character must make a save v. death with a -4 penalty; failure indicates exhaustion such that strength and wisdom are cut in half. These are regained at 1 point per hour of rest, strength first, then wisdom. [/b:onl8g1hr]
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

I'd like to sign up please :D

You know what my stats are :p

^.^
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[quote="Pheurazath":2jsq4y4b]How about a screenshot from NWN2 to go with that brief description?[/quote:2jsq4y4b]

That will be fine :)
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Well, sign me up! I've been looking for another good campaign for a while! And my stats, etc are in my profile, except for HP and skill points, and that sort of thing. I can look it up and add them in, if needed. Welcome back, Tal.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Personal Information

Name: Virgil Szarenson
Race: Human
Height: 6'2"
Classes: Warlock - 8
Weight: 250
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Eyes: Yellow
Hair: White w/ streaks of black
Deity: Pelor

Str 15 - +2
Dex 18 - +4
Con 16 - +3
Int 18 - +4
Wis 15 - +2
Cha 19 - +4

Hit Points = 63

Init: +4 (+4 Dex)
Spd: 30 ft.
AC: 17 (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
Attack: +8/+3 melee, or +10/+5 ranged
SV: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +8

Languages Spoken: Common, Drow, Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal

Skills:
cc Appraise +4 (+6 on Leather) cc Balance +4, Bluff +10, cc Climb +2,
Concentration +10, Craft (leatherworking) +10, cc Diplomacy +8, Disguise +10,
cc Escape Artist +4, cc Forgery +4, cc Gather Info +4, cc Heal +2,
cc Hide +4, Intimidate +12, cc Jump +2, Knowledge (arcana) +10,
Knowledge (The Planes) +10, Knowledge (Religion) +10, cc Listen +2, cc Move silently +4,
cc Perform +4, Profession (Bounty Hunter) +10, cc Ride +4, cc Search +4,
Sense Motive +9, Spell Craft +12 (+14 to decipher spells on scrolls), cc Spot +2,
cc Survival +2 (+4 on other planes), cc Swim +2, Use Magic Device +10, cc Use Rope +4;

Feats/Abilities:
---Class---
Simple Weapons Proficiency
Light Armor Proficiency (no spell failure penalty)
Damage Reduction 2/Cold Iron
Deceive Item
Fiendish Resilience 1

---Feats---
Weapon Focus (Ranged Spell)
Greater Weapon Focus (Ranged Spell)
Ranged Spell Specialization
Combat Reflexes

---Spell-like Abilities---
Detect Magic / at will (CL= warlock class level)
Eldritch Blast 4d6

---Invocations---
Devil's Sight
Eldritch Spear
Spider Walk
Darkness
Brimstone Blast

Inventory

* Items Carried
3 days Rations
Flint/Steel
Bed Roll
Chalk 1/pcs.
Disguise Kit
Scroll/Map Case
Water Skins x2
Mask/Cowl (Black)

* Attacks/Weapons
Heavy Mace --ATK: +8/+3 DMG: 1d8+2 CRIT: x2
Eldritch Blast --ATK: +12/+7 DMG: 4d6 Range: 60ft. (250ft. w/ Eldritch Spear)

* Items Worn
Studded Leather Armor --AC: +3 Max-Dex: +5
Pendant of Pelor
Hooded Cloak (Black)
Last edited by Pheurazath on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

If you require any additional info, just ask. Also, do you have a copy of Complete Arcane? This will let me know how detailed of information to provide if requested.
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Hey Tal? Does it matter at what point in our character's history that they participate in this campaign.

I was thinking of having Veraka participate relatively earlier in his life (after Vale of Shadow is done)? If this is a problem, let me know.
Thanks. :D
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

@ Pheurazath
unfortunately I don't have that source book, but I'll have a look online and see if there is a [ahem] text available. If not, it should not matter really. What is important are the spells your character knows and posseses and what sort of scrolls, wands, potions etc they may have.

@ Veraka,

it's upto you when in your characters history you wish to have them join this adventure but early on is fine.

I'm going to put the prologue together over the next day so as to give eveyone an idea of where they are and what the adventure is going to be about.

Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Short and simple the Warlock class, draws its magic usually from some connection either via blood-relation, family curse, or similar conditions, to either Demons or Devils. Thus why a Warlock has be either Chaotic or Evil. Because of this 'unholy' source of magical power churning in their soul, they essentially have limitless spells per day, but also a VERY limited spell selection, and from that list, at 20th level a smaller portion yet, of it will have been learned.

Their primary combat spell is Eldritch Blast, which every so many levels gradually increases another 1d6 of damage. The other spells, Invocations, come in a variety of forms. There are Blast Shape Invocations, that alter the behavior of the usually ray-like Eldritch Blast, so that it might function like a cone, or AoE spell, or like with Eldritch Spear, increase the range. Then there's Eldritch Essence Invocations, which alter the damage or affects of the Eldritch Blast, either adding status affects, or as with Brimstone Blast, the eldritch Blast does Fire, instead of Magic damage, and if the victim fails a Save (can't recall the exact save type), they will continue to burn for a number of rounds determined by the warlock's level, at 2d6 Fire damage per round, or until they manage to succeed the save thus putting it out. Finally the last variety of Invocations, function much like other spells. For instance Darkness functions just like a Drow's Darkness ability.

I can draw up more specifics on each Invocation in my List, and perhaps the level progression chart from the class description if you like.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Ok, here is the Prologue to the campaign.

All the characters who have so far signed up for this are part of a party which has come together very recently. You can assume that you [the party members] know each other, but only superficially, as you have been travelling together over the past few days towards your destination.

The party so far consists of Veraka, T'risstree, Lothir, Pheurazath and of course Talwyn.

The camapign will start in 2 days hence so if you wish to join, please do so now.

[b:203mp6rx]Late comers will not be welcome.[/b:203mp6rx]

PROLOGUE[/size:203mp6rx]

[img:203mp6rx]http://www.arondaparks.com/images/52106 ... nsion2.jpg[/img:203mp6rx]

[color=darkblue:203mp6rx] [i:203mp6rx]Your party has been travelling overland to the city of Baldurs Gate, following up on some rumours that one of the Merchant Princes of the city was said to be looking for brave adventurers willing to undertake a special mission (for a suitable fee, of course). You were especially eager to receive the commission, because this particular Merchant Prince has been noted for his generosity, not only with money but also with magical gifts.

Leading your faithful pack mule Dobbin who is laden with your supplies, you have been following a river that the local inhabitants assured you would lead directly to the City.

Unfortunately, no hired guide was available, and either the directions given you were wrong or you have taken the wrong fork by mistake. At any rate, you have good reason to suspect that you are lost and will have to retrace your route tomorrow.

The sun is setting and it is time to make camp. The most defensible campsite is on a nearby hill. The night passes safely, though everyone's sleep is plagued with nightmares. When you awake, the sun is no where to be seen and you stare out at a world gone mad.

Instead of the hill where you made camp last night, your bedrolls now lie in a foyer of an ornate mansion. A freshly swept carpet graces the floor. The walls are decorated with bright, colourful tapestries. Brass candelabras line the entranceway. They show signs of having been recently polished and are filled with candles.

[img:203mp6rx]http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-con ... enshot.jpg[/img:203mp6rx]

More disturbing than the sudden change from the wilderness to a mansion, is the smoky gray mist which surrounds the mansion at a distance of 30 feet, blocking all sight beyond. No sound penetrates the mist. [/size:203mp6rx][/i:203mp6rx]

[b:203mp6rx]No sound at all. [/b:203mp6rx][/size:203mp6rx]

[i:203mp6rx]Your only pack mule appears to have accidentally wandered off into the mist as you are still gauging your new surroundings. It somehow become untethered and was quickly lost to sight, though its lead rope was clearly visible at the edge of the mist.

When the rope is hauled back in, the dead body of your poor hapless mule is dragged back into view.

What killed the mule cannot be determined but it appeared to have died with a twisted look of pain on it’s on its otherwise placid face.

The mist slowly advances on the mansion as you all watch but luckily it does not enter the foyer.

The double doors to the interior swing open into the main hallway by themselves.

A ghostly childs voice can be heard coming from not all that far away... [/i:203mp6rx][/color:203mp6rx][/size:203mp6rx]

[play for sound effects :devil: ]

[youtube:203mp6rx]AvELtlOJSjA[/youtube:203mp6rx]

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

:eek:

Creepy prologue and that track....brrr...very disturbing. :eek:

:love: I love it! :devil:

Way to set the tone for the campaign Tal, very good! ;)

*she skips off to prepare her spells and items for the campaign*

^.^
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

:devil:

thanks T'riss, glad you enjoyed it and got into the mood I'm trying to create :)

I'll be using music, Youtubes and pictures throught this campaign to add to the overall atmospheric flavour in order to enhance everyones enjoyment.

I've also had some thoughts on postings.

If you are going to be afk for more than a couple of days, please let us know :) otherwise the momentum and energy are lost and I've seen it happen to so many RP threads that fall apart due to players dropping out. Hell I'm guilty of it myself but as DM, I'll let people know if I'm going to be away. Which in fact I will be come late June [the 30th] for roughly 6 days as I'm going on a short vacation to the city of Darwin in the Northern Territory and heading out to kakadu national park for some fun and adventure. So That's fair notice of my abscense but I do hope we can make a start with the campaign very soon.

Over to you guys 8)

Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Virgil's initial reaction, to this whole seemingly doomed awakening, is an almost creepy chuckle, musing to himself, that if he does not escape -this- place, his family curse might at last be broken, doubting he shall live to see the day, he sires a son.

For the Warlock, there is no bothering with preparing his spells, or resting to rebuild his pool of spells per day. Instead, he immediately begins a chant to put to use the invocation, of Devil's Sight (a 24 hour duration, granting normal sight within natural darkness, and 30 feet of vision in magical darkness). True, it may be unnecessary at present, but should the lights go out, he's prepared.

After the ghostly 'greeting' the white-haired, youth in his early twenties, turns those strange-to-human-features, yellow eyes to his companions, the strange though common-to-him, tone to his voice sounding more serious than jesting,"Well, what a cheerful little vacation spot this is. Who wants the little girl's room? Shall I go see if the pantry is stocked?"

Looking around a bit more, he also mentally reviews his knowledge of the other Planes, wondering if he might recognize where, if not the plane they -were- in, they are now.

(OOC: Since this group has been together awhile, and probably have grown accustomed to Virgil's quirks and eccentricities, I will let you all know now, having a demon-induced family curse, and the oft shunned powers of a Warlock, has made him the sort to be quite at home in places that might usually unnerve any other human, especially a peasant-born one like himself. I kinda model him a little bit after concepts like the Addams Family. The Yellow eyes and white hair, though he probably would never have spoken about it, or his heritage or family curse even, are tied to the first of his ancestors who started it all, and a demon (succubus), as his 'wife'. When it comes time for battle and helping the party though, he's not about to let anyone die if he can help it.)
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Well Tal,
Veraka's char sheet is up on his profile; a few minor things are missing, but I'll get them up soon.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix