Breathing Swamp

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well we appear close to direct contact again with the forces of Evil.

I have indicared I used Hallow on the Island.

Per, SRD 3.5 http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hallow.htm Hallow provides this.

[quote:3478w6c6]Level: Clr 5, Drd 5
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 24 hours
Range: Touch
Area: 40-ft. radius emanating from the touched point
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: See text

Hallow makes a particular site, building, or structure a holy site. This has four major effects.

First, the site or structure is guarded by a magic circle against evil effect.

Second, all Charisma checks made to turn undead gain a +4 sacred bonus, and Charisma checks to command undead take a -4 penalty. Spell resistance does not apply to this effect. (This provision does not apply to the druid version of the spell.)

Third, any dead body interred in a hallowed site cannot be turned into an undead creature.

Finally, you may choose to fix a single spell effect to the hallowed site. The spell effect lasts for one year and functions throughout the entire site, regardless of the normal duration and area or effect. You may designate whether the effect applies to all creatures, creatures who share your faith or alignment, or creatures who adhere to another faith or alignment. At the end of the year, the chosen effect lapses, but it can be renewed or replaced simply by casting hallow again.

Spell effects that may be tied to a hallowed site include aid, bane, bless, cause fear, darkness, daylight, death ward, deeper darkness, detect evil, detect magic, dimensional anchor, discern lies, dispel magic, endure elements, freedom of movement, invisibility purge, protection from energy, remove fear, resist energy, silence, tongues, and zone of truth. Saving throws and spell resistance might apply to these spells’ effects. (See the individual spell descriptions for details.)

An area can receive only one hallow spell (and its associated spell effect) at a time. Hallow counters but does not dispel unhallow.
Material Component

Herbs, oils, and incense worth at least 1,000 gp, plus 1,000 gp per level of the spell to be included in the hallowed area. [/quote:3478w6c6]

Well you and I are not restricted to even 3rd edition (I could look up the 3rd Edition rules to see if the spell even exists in that Edition), it tends to make sense to use 3rd for most play. The rules at least for D&D general are readable available, where prior and 4th are not. As I have often indicated, a charter can come from any rule-set, with the warning the stranger they are the less likely there will be fun for all players.

Morganna and Eilae - and friends are likely to contend soon for the Island. The already described ward is in place, though the associated spell effects have not been mapped.

Points of concern,

1) The size of the Island, I have indicated it clearly is larger then just one spell.

2) Keying Hallow to creatures who share a faith or alignment (an option).

3) Use of unhallow to counter spell.

My current impressions are the there are at least 4 Hallow spells in place, they take a long time to cast, but they last a long time. Some of those clearly use alignment to avoid untoward events (Inriiaynrae clearly has displayed a Good alignment in my opinion, however could key to Chaotic if needed - if alignment key is used as an added ward trigger), Lothir clearly is good aligned.

In part, the biggest concern is about taking down the wards for a time to kill Morganna by trapping, I have PMed Aylstra a little about williness to let a character die - lose a battle clearly occurs, just think about all those swamp trolls, kobolds and orcs - the concern becomes more about what you consider fair play. Morganna clearly can take unhallow as many that level (sometimes higher) spell slots she has. The way I read it however is if she is powerful enough only she would not be effected, there does not appear any way she can protect her minions (not that she appears to care much about them anyway).

The play is to be fun for all, no one person or character should ever always be the hero.

I ask for some feedback, from all - rules interpretations welcomed, clearly comments from involved players useful.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

I have no problems with the alignment key(s) as he is CG, and I was sort of assuming it had somebearing on them entering, anyway. The fact that he is also Eilistraean helps, I would imagine. I have no issues with anyone using other editions, as I do have one item stoed away on him that is from 2nd ed, that he might decide to use if things go badly. (A flute of puppies- it's an almost-joke item from the 2nd ed Encyclopedia Magica, that turns 1d8 HD of creatures into yup, you guessed it- puppies! I typically taylor the type of dog they polymorph into based on creature size. an orc might become a lab pup, a goblin a pug, and so on...) On the few occasions he has used it, the entire game group always ends up laughing.

As to Morg, I'm enjoying letting her loose a bit, and don't mind in the least if she "dies" since it would not be the first time. She's got more lives than a cat, it seems! :p She's been killed once by L's half-dragon friend Vala, and managed to get killed three separate times in one campaign because she has a reackless streak, but for some reason her companions kept res'ing her, even though it was an all-evil campaign. She has the dubious prize of my "most killed PC"!

Also, she does not have unhallow, (can it even be used by arcane casters?) but does have several other nasty spells in her arsenal. If possible, I was thinking of the two of them having some sort of showdown during the upcoming battle, to see just which one is the stronger, sort of an ultimate sibling rivalry. I have some ideas for this (keeping them under wraps for now, until I see how everything goes) but any suggestions are also welcome.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

sorry yall. I had to travel to central FL for the weekend.

as for the stuff yall are talking about... :?

im just nodding and smiling... :D

whatever yall wanna do im ok,
Inrii's CN so she up for it...lol plus she aint used her secret weapon yet... ;)
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well I never scaled the map, however there is no reason flaming arrows can be shot while standing in the swamp. Heck the invaders might even find the dry path to the Island *G*

Oh max recorded range I could find was 485 yards, though that was range contest. An arrow flaming likely would have shorter range, because of weight.If I check a version of rules there might be other limitation. Of course trying to start fires means arrow not aimed at any person, a target of an Island is easier to hit then a barn is.

In part in major battles, the archers really did not target a person, just the army. Those subject to incoming were lucky or unlucky as if an arrow hit them. A flame arrow attack would, or should be, a similar type of attack. That is a rain of arrows that might cause damage and clearly cause defenders distress trying to defend from missiles and of course also needing to deal with any fires started.
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

why fire in a damp area? just curious? i would think it wouldnt be as successful...but this world, much is possible...
and i hope the big bad guy aint immune to negitive energy, ie shadow dragon breath...;)
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Inriiaynrae Jaelre":2coj9px2]why fire in a damp area? just curious? i would think it wouldnt be as successful...but this world, much is possible...
and i hope the big bad guy aint immune to negitive energy, ie shadow dragon breath...;)[/quote:2coj9px2]

Fire is an effective combat tactic. The Island is relatively dry rising above the swamp. There are three building that might catch on fire, and many trees that surround the grove. If one manages to start a forest fire, possible, it can spread faster then any humanoid can run. Derek and his troops likely can drop at least three roulds of arrows on the Island before any barrier could be imposed. Small fires would need to be fought before they become big fire. With luck the whole island could be set ablaze, that would indeed caue those on the surface to flee. Should that happen, though most would flee to the cave instead of off the island. Morg does not know about the cave, as far as it goes Derek does not know about it either.

The plan is a good one as proposed, based on data Derek and Morg. has. It just will not work. *G*

Oh the wards in place will not stop arrows, they are not aligned, at least the ones proposed.
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

so it's not damp in the air with a pernament fog like essense around the area...lol...

you should see the swamps around here. but FL is a muggy and humid state, even north FL...and the swamps...
ooo, perth could be a giant gator type...brings back memories....anyway...

aligned arrows? that i aint heard of. well, i guess arrows could be sentient if some weapons can be.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Inriiaynrae Jaelre":77kufn4g]so it's not damp in the air with a pernament fog like essense around the area...lol...[/quote:77kufn4g]
Obscuring fog is not permanent, just called when scrying is detected. Derek has long time now known that looking quickly cases a fog to be raised, so he rarely tries it. Something Morg will learn soon as well. [quote:77kufn4g]

you should see the swamps around here. but FL is a muggy and humid state, even north FL...and the swamps...
ooo, perth could be a giant gator type...brings back memories....anyway...
[/quote:77kufn4g]
I have seen the swamps of FL, even there are dry spots. The Island is a dry spot, or at least drier.[quote:77kufn4g]

aligned arrows? that i aint heard of. well, i guess arrows could be sentient if some weapons can be.[/quote:77kufn4g]

Arrows, slay good are aligned arrows that wards might prevent. Flaming arrows magic or normal, however are not aligned. They just cause fire, with luck.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Derek's attack plan, based on Morg's idea and support.

Magic of course will be used, that should go without saying.
The Kobolds and orcs attack from a sector point (North?) with flaming arrows, the trolls will be in a flanking position to prevent retreat to the Island- they do not want to be close to fire.The Drake will come in from the other side when island defenders enter the swamp to stop the rain of fire.

The attack will cause damage and even might kill a few defenders, a flaming arrow in the chest clearly hurts and can be fatal.

Will this work? I do not think so, the island is defended for great reasons. Yes some will go out against the archers (which ones I have not decided yet), others will combat fires started, there those in addition will do neither and will defend the island.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Hmm. Now that you've mentioned it, I might have her shake things up a bit, once the battle gets going. Morg rarely uses scrying of any kind, as she knows it can be thwarted. She prefers to get her info first-hand, by personally spying. She is, after all, an assassin foremost. The wizardly bit just gives her a bigger arsenal to work with- something the defenders will quickly learn during the battle. She will most likely direct the drake and trolls, and is mainly using the entire plan as a diversion, in any case. Her preferred method is to cause as much chaos as possible, and use it as a screen for her true attack. Most often her victims do not even realize she is there until it is too late. But I'm keeping her secret weapon just that for now. Just to see what happens.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

The battle joins soon, the secrets might soon be revealed (some if not all).