what happens to eilistraee if....

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Thalon Mercrow
Resident

what happens to eilistraee if....

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

ok what im about to post may sound crazy but hear it gos:

what if eilistraee finely slayed loth :uh-huh: and aussemed her portfilol (chaos,destruction,evil,trickery,drow,and spiders) what is to stop her from becoming like slevesterm (note:for those of you who don't know he was the spawn of vaharun and one of the sedrine. he slew a drow deity to impress eilistree,but it was a trick by loth so he assumed the deits portfoilo wich turnd him evil & battle hungrey) some things i think she can cope with like drow(her originle intent),chaos(shes already chaotic),trickrey(she got that from slaying vaharun), and spider(not much of a change)
but what about loths other 2 domains evil and destruction. how would that go down. i have heard that a god can reist changes to it's porfoilo as well as it's aliment after doing some thing like slaying another god(slevesterm faild to resist). so will she remain the same and if so how?or will our beloved goddess brcome another loth?

p.s. whats up with graundur hes not even a drow so how is he part of the pathelon?
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

That's a hard one to answer, especially with the rules changing in 4th Ed. For all we know, should she win she could very well absorb Lloth's evil portfolio, yet still remain good with that 'points of light' thing taking effect. Who knows.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

not to sound behind or any thig but could any body explain "the points of light"
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

“Points of Light” is the name they’re using for the philosophy behind the default 4E D&D setting. The world is generally fairly undefined, but the idea is that evil is everywhere and winning. The players playing the heroes are the “point of light” in this “darkness” fighting it back. Similarly there’s only a few places of good and safety from which the heroes strike out to fight back the darkness.

Basically, it’s the MMO paradigm of “the entire world is overrun with monsters except for a few safe places and the further away you get from those places the stronger the monsters”. :p

At least, that’s about how I’ve understood it.

Now, this is only for the default setting (which isn’t any otherwise specified setting), but the Forgotten Realms is taking a bit of that as I understand it. The forces of evil are stronger than ever and the player characters represent the heroes fighting back the tide. Or something like that.

[EDIT] [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dn ... e:1fn4kalp]This Article[/url:1fn4kalp] probably explains it better (need to be logged in to D&D Insider to read it).

As for your original question, at this point we’re not even completely sure yet what’d happen if Eilistraee takes Vhaeraun’s portfolio. My guess is that taking Lolth’s portfolio is probably going to shift her towards the dark side.

Though somehow I doubt that’d ever happen.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

It appears only Drow deties get portfolios of deities they slay, the human deities appear to be able to grab some.

All in all it appears imposible that Eilistraee can kill Lolth. The reverve question might be in order, how good does Lolth become from killing the Dark Maiden?
The Pentitent seris says one of the two aggreed to die, and we know Lolth will not die. There of course is the posibility niether of the two will die, but we are told tat the followers of Eilistraee are less visable/active in 4th Edition.

Until official 4th material is issued or even the release of _Assendentcy of the Last_ (the last of the triogy) is relaesed we do not know the fate of Lady Silverhair.
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

i don't belive they will slay eilistraee they sort of need her to blanece out loth at the most they will send her into hideing
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

[quote="Thalon Mercrow":34cb1oq7]i don't belive they will slay eilistraee they sort of need her to blanece out loth at the most they will send her into hideing[/quote:34cb1oq7]

Or they could go back to the old school balance, Drow to other Elves and Lolth to the Elven deities.

Also isn't it possible for deities to give their portfolios to other gods. If so couldn't Eilistrae give the evil and destruction domains, or at least evil, up to some other god.
I never stab people in the back, it's much more pleasurable to be able to see the expression on their face.

Usstan xunus ol, Usstan saphun ol, lu''Dorn xun ol ''sohna
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

Post by BaravarImrathiln »

My understanding of the metaphysical mechanics seems to indicate that all deities are able to seize (or not) the portfolios of the other deities they kill. If the slayer does not seize the portfolio, it becomes an open portfolio. So if Eilistraee were to slay Lolth, she could set aside the portfolio altogether and keep the aspects that she already has. The problem with this non-assumption is that the portfolio would remain unclaimed and available for another deity (Such as Selvetarm, Vhaeraun, or (in an odd twist of that entity's priorities) Ghaunadar) to absorb.

Vorrick is right, in that a deity can set aside the portfolio, or grant it into the keeping of another, ally deity. Waukeen did that relatively recently, only taking her mantle up again after escaping from the Arch-Fiend Graz'zt.

There is also no explicit requirement that all portfolio elements be represented in each Pantheon. Most of Lolth's Portfolio is well-represented in other deities, with only Spiders and Drow being relatively unique to her. Eilistraee could assume control over the Drow aspect either by slaying Lolth outright and taking her portfolio, or as seems more likely, by subverting increasing numbers of worshippers away from the Spider Queen, thereby depriving her mother of power while increasing her own.

Needless to say, all these metaphysical shilly-shallies mean but little, as the Overdeities at WotC have the final say on what, precisely, happens.
I do not love the bright Sword for its sharpness,
nor the Arrow for its swiftness,
nor the Warrior for his glory.
I love only that which they defend."
~ JRR Tolkien
Aelistae
Maid
Maid

Post by Aelistae »

I'd hate for Eilistraee to become twisted and slowly sink into Lolth-like depravity.

Unfortunately Hasbro, who run things now, seem on an urgent mission to simplify everything. And what's more simple than all drow being stereotypical villains? (well except Drizzt because people buy Salvatore's books... :bored:)
jameslt0
Maid
Maid

Post by jameslt0 »

Well, Bane came back from the dead, if Eilistraee is killed, maybe enough people can put pressure on Hasbro and WotC to bring back Eilistraee.
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

true. it works for comicbooks. if the unthinkable happens we will just get everyone to petion,wright letters,send emails and gen erly just bug the crap out of them untile they ggive in to our demands

(sidenote it would be prety inroic if this all happend and we got enough "worshipers" to bring her back to life)
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

Well, considering in 4th edition, Drow and normal elves are apparently separate races, maybe it has been deemed that Eilistraee is no longer needed?
I could be wrong, I hope so. But even if I am not, remember, no one is [i:1jgpfpbx]forcing[/i:1jgpfpbx] you to change to 4th edi
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/
Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

Post by Ix'Chimalxochitzin »

Well, the main problem is because of this major overhaul all over the line (feats, skills, spells, races, experience rate...), that the 3.5 books are pretty much obsolete, and more than likely near unusable in combination with 4th Ed.

So even if you don't want to change, someone will eventually bring up a level 15-or-so spell, a feat or whatever he wants to use because it's listed in there.

Don't get me wrong, i like 3.5 myself and am at the very least skeptic of these new changes, but yeah... All the new stuff that'll come out will be for 4th Ed.
-----
"Watch your step... If you fall, you'll damage the floor."
jameslt0
Maid
Maid

Post by jameslt0 »

The only problem i have with 4e is getting all those books...again. It just aggravates me to no end. I don't have endless sources of money to by books that Hasbro decides to put out when they get the itch to change things.
CrankyOzzie
Regular

Post by CrankyOzzie »

3.5 books will only be "obsolete" if you're actually playing in a game that uses 4th edition rules. Hell, they're obsolete if you're playing in a 2nd or 1st edition game, too, and some people probably still do play 2nd edition.

People still play Planescape, Mystara, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, and they've all been out of print for years. Though I [i:34jg4guh]have[/i:34jg4guh] seen a PDF of 3.5 Ed. Dragonlance, and Planescape has been reworked to fit 3.5 rules by a group of fans of the game, even sanctioned by WoTC to be an "unofficial official" release.

The point I am trying to make is, it's up to the group as a whole what version of the game they wish to play. If someone wants to play 4th edition, but the rest of the group don't, then they don't GET to play 4th edition, simple. No, you can't introduce game mechanics from one version into another. Not very well, anyway. 4th edition stuff will have to be "reverse engineered" to fit 3.5 edition rules, or 3.5 stuff can be tailored to fit 4th edition rules, but you can't mix 3.5 rules and 4th edition rules and have it "just work."

As for buying the books, if you don't have the money, don't buy them. You don't [i:34jg4guh]have[/i:34jg4guh] to have the absolute latest and greatest . I brought my 4 books (3.5 DMG, PHB, FRCS, and MM2) over a period of 2 years. Total cost was about $270. Okay, so you might need the books to play in that new campaign the DM is going to run next weekend. If that's the case, I'm sure others in the group would have some of the new books, and I'm equally sure they'd quite happy to let you check through them as needed.

Alternatley, you could just snub your nose at 4th edition and stick with 3.5 for a few more years. Change is good, change stimulates growth. I'm certainly glad we're not still stuck with the overly-complicated and algebra-like mechanics of 2nd edition, as rich and complex as the game system was, it was TOO complex. Bring on the changes! I for one can't wait, even if just to satisfy my intense curiosity. :)

Anyway, this is getting way off topic. If people want to discusss game mechanics and how they affect players, maybe be best to take this to another sub forum. :)
I quit smoking with Eilistraee! - Courtesy of http://www.sloganizer.net/en/