Sex, Marriage and Children

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Sex, Marriage and Children

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Yasræna D'issan An'ar said:

[quote:35q8ltz7] Its possible that surface elves are taught that the dark skin is a curse from the Gods, much like it was taught that Africans are black because of some ancient curse. [/quote:35q8ltz7]

This is almost imbedded in Elvem myth, the facts that canon provide was indeed dark elves were always dark elves That evil and good dark elves were banaished from the surface.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

This is from the old forum, by the way, for those of you who don't know.
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

I remember this from the old forums.
TOo lazy too read, but I read something from it:

- High Priestess of Eilistraee is a virgin? *bursts into laughter*
- Children? Not something you get very often.
- MArriage? I dodn't get to this part, I was too hungry after reading the children section.
:3
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:1pkw49am]LOL :D [/color:1pkw49am]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Velve
Regular

Post by Velve »

[quote:1offogzu]
(I have always found it odd a subterranean race was dark considering most cave dwelling creatures are blind and white :lol:)[/quote:1offogzu]

Well if evolution had delt a change in them it would have likely made them look pale, yes, but it wasn't evolution that did that. As said, it was the curse Lolth brought on them.

EDIT: and sorry to go against you Shirle but the 'curse' is the one I have always heard about, so I just think of it that way. ;)
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Velve":ms7q097b][quote:ms7q097b]
(I have always found it odd a subterranean race was dark considering most cave dwelling creatures are blind and white :lol:)[/quote:ms7q097b]

Well if evolution had delt a change in them it would have likely made them look pale, yes, but it wasn't evolution that did that. As said, it was the curse Lolth brought on them.

EDIT: and sorry to go against you Shirle but the 'curse' is the one I have always heard about, so I just think of it that way. ;)[/quote:ms7q097b]

*wink* That is because you believe the fair elven lies. Not that Lolth offers her own lies as well.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Well to be the special one as always I dont belive either crap.

Drow screwed up, and now most of them suffer for it, while othrs dance under moonlight...sheesh....

Ad for the "fair elves", those bloody carrot chewin' rabbits always have to have it theyre way. Stubborn as mules!
Oh, well....At least the're still girl elves :D
:3
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[quote="Rooky":fqna3lwb]Well to be the special one as always I dont belive either crap.

Drow screwed up, and now most of them suffer for it, while othrs dance under moonlight...sheesh....

Ad for the "fair elves", those bloody carrot chewin' rabbits always have to have it theyre way. Stubborn as mules!
Oh, well....At least the're still girl elves :D[/quote:fqna3lwb]

[color=darkred:fqna3lwb]Huh? :uh-huh: Say what???[/color:fqna3lwb]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Yasraena D'issan An'ar
Maid
Maid

Post by Yasraena D'issan An'ar »

Well, given the curse was written by humans, in the real world. LOL (erhm....oh wait, yeah) Its all LIES, LIES I TELL YOU, LIES FROM THE SILLY TREEHUGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hippies, where did those come from?????

LOL

But, does anyone have a copy of Elves of Evermeet the novel??? I don't, but I was wondering what the description of the Lady was in the beginning of that book???
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Yasraena D'issan An'ar":3thukc15]But, does anyone have a copy of Elves of Evermeet the novel??? I don't, but I was wondering what the description of the Lady was in the beginning of that book???[/quote:3thukc15]
I've got it... at home somewhere. As such can't really look up any quotes.

Still, here's a snippet I had lying around:

[quote:3thukc15][i:3thukc15]Certainly Eilistraee would not have been her first choice. The girl was given to quicksilver moods, and she possessed an uncertain temper. One moment she was a carefree child dancing like a moonbeam or running like a silver wolf through the forest; the next moment, she was either as seductive as a siren or as serious as a dwarven god. Well, the girl was of an age when such swings were common, Araushnee noted as she observed her daughter.[/i:3thukc15][/quote:3thukc15]

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Qhell~Velladorn
Regular

Sex,marriage, and children

Post by Qhell~Velladorn »

[color=darkgreen:36ksmbbx]On paper I went all the way once, as the character that I'm currently playing in the Arena, Quel Veladorn. Did the sex thing, and with a Sun Elven Princess at that, didn't know she was with child, so I took on a sterner position a t Eilistraees' right hand, as a half celestial. Then when I was aloowed to go back to Faerun after like 3 years of hunting down and destryoing Llolth's demons, and her most powerful mages and clerics, I go to a friends wedding, and see a lovely drow woman, with a child that appears to be about maybe a year old. Low and behold, the Dm of that campaign saw a half-drow, half surface elf child as an abomination, so he had his 20th level Wizard/5th level Archmage cast polymorph on her and turn her to a drow so that the child would come out as a full drow. AS a person that just started playing a worshipper of the Dark Maiden a few months before, I didn't think that would bother me all that much, but the more that I thought about it, the more it really hyped me up, both IC, and as we were discussing his reasons behind it. In the end, he left things the way he originaly had them, but seeing as how devoted I'd become to the Dark Maiden and her ways, he decided to have my daughter blessed by the Goddess at that young age, twice, as he said Eilistraee kissed her on each cheek, making her the youngest chosen in history. That may have been his history, but if I'm not mistaken, aren't all her chosen pretty much born that way, they just have to go through many different trials to find this out for themselves, by listening to their hearts instead of all the rules laid down for them by the other two drow dieties, Llolth and Vhearaun. I know I'm no expert on her, but that's the way it seemed to me with Liriel Baenre in the books that miss Elaine Cunningham wrote about her, and that I haven't finished yet, cause everytime I get the money for a copy of the 3rd book in the series, it's sold out at all my local bookstores. Oh well, enough rambling from a fool, I'll stop here so that I can be looked over, weighed, and see if I'm found lacking. Enjoy the ramblings, and please don't critisize me too bad.[/color:36ksmbbx]
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

I think I remember from when I read the Evermeet novel that there is a reference to an Ilythiiri(with his wemic slave) talking with one of the elves. It referenced them being of a darker skin. Also, the Ilythiiri, if I remember right, were the more southern based of the Elves (Where Calimshan, the Shaar and the Chult Jungles are located). That was my impression. Perhaps the drow skin tone was originally an adaptation to the southern climes?

In Power of Faerun, the debate is mentioned, which has more influence on whom? Do the gods compel their followers, or is it the other way around? Did Araushnee betray Corellian because she was a traitor at heart, or did she do it because her people were betraying the other elves?

The idea of a curse, though; namely of darker skin, to seperate the faithful from the faithless; is very common in most judo-christian belief systems. The most obvious one is the belief that Cain was marked (though the Bible does not say how) for his murder of Abel. There is also reference to a curse laid upon the son of Noah for his disrespect of his father (after the Ark makes landfall, if I remember correctly). Now, I am not stating that this belief is all together correct, not am I exposing one way or the other on the correctness of this notion. I am just stating that it is possible that this concept is a universal "rational" that most societies use to explain differences between one another. "Oh, they're like us, but not... they must be cursed."

I have always personally run that the drow skin tone is the dominant gene, though. A sun elf and an Eili do not make a gray elf, they make a drow, possibly with a faded blonde hair color. :/
Now the real question... what happens when a fey'ri and a drow enjoy a few hours of ssinssrigg? :devil:
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Serath En'Sendaran":1tdl5avy]
Now the real question... what happens when a fey'ri and a drow enjoy a few hours of ssinssrigg? :devil:[/quote:1tdl5avy]

Well there is no official rule on this that I recall.

A Demon gene can be considered more Dominent then a Drow gene.
Others adopt a rule that follows blood ourity.

In general fey'ri 's children are fey'ri . The mix with a Drow instead of a Gold most likely will result in a fey'ri the has Drow blood instead of Elven blood as the Drow gene overrides the Elven gene.
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

It was more of a rhetorical question. But thank you for the input. I agree with that. I think "stat wise" there would not be any difference between a drow born and a sun or moon elf born fey'ri. The main difference would be appearance. The fact is, though, that this would never happen. There is no way that a fey'ri would "stoop" itself to breed with a [i:284hnjxt]dhow[/i:284hnjxt]. Once again showing the hubris of the elven races in general.

On another side note, I think that followers of the Dark Maiden may one day out number the underdark drow, if the birth rate of drow holds true for the surface drow. I mean, honestly. Drow in general are far more prolific than most elves, and with the more open attitudes that Eilistraee seems to have towards sex and love, there might be a growing population of half-drow and surface born at a near expodential rate. Maybe the Eili's should found a city.
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Jubilee
Maid
Maid

Post by Jubilee »

The trouble is, unless you invent them a sperm producing strapon, most of the wild ritual orgies are female exclusive, forestalling any expansion of the drow stripper bloodline ..