Drow deities of Greyhawk

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Drow deities of Greyhawk

Post by Dostrealt »

I see a lot of talk about Forgotten Realms here, but I thought it might be fun to make a list of the deities that drow worship on Oerth, so that we could talk about the ways they are similar or different.

[align=center:128c45a2][b:128c45a2]Drow Pantheon of Greyhawk[/b:128c45a2][/align:128c45a2]
[table=width:100%;border;1px solid #cccccc;:128c45a2][tr=text-align:center;][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;][b:128c45a2]Name (Power)[/b:128c45a2][/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;][b:128c45a2]Alignment[/b:128c45a2][/td][td=border;1px solid blue;][b:128c45a2]Domains[/b:128c45a2][/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;][b:128c45a2]Favoured Weapon[/b:128c45a2][/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;][b:128c45a2]Symbol[/b:128c45a2][/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;][b:128c45a2]Portfolio[/b:128c45a2][/td][/tr]
[tr=text-align:center;][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;][b:128c45a2][url=http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... o:128c45a2]Keptolo[/url:128c45a2] (D)[/b:128c45a2][/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]CE[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Chaos, Domination, Evil, Knowledge, Travel[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Longsword[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Stylized mushroom[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Drow Males, Flattery, Intoxication, Rumor, Opportunism[/td][/tr]
[tr=text-align:center;][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;][b:128c45a2][url=http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... i:128c45a2]Kiaransali[/url:128c45a2] (D)[/b:128c45a2][/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]CE[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Chaos, Death, Evil, Madness, Pestilence[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]"Coldheart"(dagger)[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Female drow hand wearing silver rings[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Drow, Slavery, Vengeance, Undeath[/td][/tr]
[tr=text-align:center;][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;][b:128c45a2][url=http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... h:128c45a2]Lolth[/url:128c45a2] (I)[/b:128c45a2][/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]CE[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Chaos, Destruction, Domination, Evil, Oracle, Pestilence, Trickery[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Whip[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Black spider with the head of a drow female[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Drow, Spiders, Evil, Darkness, Chaos[/td][/tr]
[tr=text-align:center;][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;][b:128c45a2][url=http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... n:128c45a2]Vhaeraun[/url:128c45a2] (L)[/b:128c45a2][/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]CE[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Chaos, Drow, Evil, Travel, Trickery[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Short sword[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]A pair of black glass lenses that form a mask[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Thievery, Drow Males,
Evil Activity on the Surface[/td][/tr]
[tr=text-align:center;][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;][b:128c45a2][url=http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... a:128c45a2]Zinzerena[/url:128c45a2] (HD)[/b:128c45a2][/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]CN[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Chaos, Luck, Trickery[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Short sword[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]The draped sword[/td][td=border;1px solid #cccccc;]Deception, Humiliation, Ambush, Chaos, Assassination[/td][/tr][/table:128c45a2]

[b:128c45a2]Absent:[/b:128c45a2] Eilistraee, Ghunnadaur, Selverarm.
[b:128c45a2]New:[/b:128c45a2] Keptolo, Zinzerena.
[b:128c45a2]Altered:[/b:128c45a2] Kiaransalee (altered name, altered domains, enlarged portfolio, improved backstory*), Lolth (altered domains, altered weapon, altered portfolio, more dominant), Vhaeraun (weapon not named, not identified as Lolth's son).

[i:128c45a2]* = Kiaransali gets a Prime Material Plane world called [url=http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... r:128c45a2]Guldor[/url:128c45a2] (aka Moraad) which is probably in another crystal sphere, rather than Greyspace (or Realmspace).[/i:128c45a2]

It seems that Lolth is much more dominant on Oerth than on Toril.

What do people think of the setup?

Assuming (and I am going to assume) that Oerth and Greyspace is in the same multiverse as Toril and Realmspace, what do you think might account for the changes?

How might Eilistraee, Ghunnadaur and Selverarm be excluded from Greyhawk?

What do you think of Keptolo and Zinzerena?

What do you think of the changes in Kiaransalee, Lolth and Vhaeraun?

Is the backstory with the world of dead drow unique to Greyhawk or does Kiaransalee have something similar in Forgotten Realms?

Does having a "boyfriend" change Lolth?

Does Vhaeraun work differently if he is not tied into Lolth? Would that make the drow think of him or Lolth differently or would it make no difference?
Irennan
Champion

Re: Drow deities of Greyhawk

Post by Irennan »

Vhaeraun is pretty much the same, save for not being Lolth's son and having his influence reduced. I don't think that many drow know him and his sister as Lolth's children anyway and even if they did, it wouldn't change much, as their ideals would be the same. Selvetarm probably isn't in Greyspace because he is the offspring of Vhaeraun and an aspect of Sharess named Zandilar, born on Toril.

Lolth having a 'boyfriend' is not unique of GH, as Selvetarm is her consort on Toril. They are probably more like 'toys' than actual partners to her, tho. Then again her and the drow's history on GH is very different from what it is in the FR.

Zinzerena has been banished from the Realms by Lolth during the time of troubles. Kiaransalee is basically the same, but more powerful -not a big deal when it comes to the character itself-. Ghaunadaur is basically GH Elder Elemental Eye.

The only one left is Eilistraee. If you read Evermeet: Island of Elves, it says that after her self-imposed exile, both she and her brother decided to 'wander the mortal lands' (or something along those lines) and that their sphere of choice was the one that the elves chose after their escape from their old world (Tintageer), because of its magical nature (basically because of the Weave): Toril. Then then the Crown Wars happened and after the Dark Disaster that destroyed Miyeritar and killed so many followers of the Dark Dancer, her power was greatly dimished -actually, it was at its lowest-. I think that this fact forced Eilistraee to not extend herself too much in order to keep a presence (which stayed weak for centuries after those events) on Toril -which, according to that novel, had become the main elven world-, thus leaving her influence very low on other spheres. With time, when she recovered from the blow, her mother's presence on Oerth was probably way too strong for Eilistraee to gain a significant number of followers there. It is totally possible that the Dark Dancer is holding her ground on other, 'non main D&D setting' spheres, tho.

On a side note, if we go with the banishing option, then it would mean that Eilistraee would now -as in the realmsian 1400s DR- be in the same situation that she lived after the destruction of Miyeritar, considering that she was 'kicked' from Toril when her presence on other worlds was so low (actually idk if she managed to establish herself on other drow populated spheres, as there's nothing published on this). This also means that she would absolutely need her followers' or/and some other deities' help from inside Realmspace, if WotC wanted to return her to the Realms taking that route. This leads me to think that if they actually wished to do that, they'd choose a more realms-specific option.

Obviously there's also the actual explanation that Eilistraee and what she stands for is meant to be Forgotten Realms specific. She can add much and be brought to the drow of any world (as Spelljammer does, for example), but Toril is where she is meant for. GH drow are just what Gary Gygax made them: purely evil. I think it's likely that they wanted to stay true to that concept at least in [i:e72tscgr]his[/i:e72tscgr] setting.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Irennan":3e3zynrq]Vhaeraun is pretty much the same, save for not being Lolth's son and having his influence reduced. I don't think that many drow know him and his sister as Lolth's children anyway and even if they did, it wouldn't change much, as their ideals would be the same. Selvetarm probably isn't in Greyspace because he is the offspring of Vhaeraun and an aspect of Sharess named Zandilar, born on Toril.[/quote:3e3zynrq]

I would be inclined to say that if Vhaeraun is Lolth's son in FR, he is her son everywhere, but for some reason the drow of Grehyawk have not been told this.

Thanks for the heads-up on Selvetarm. That makes a lot of sense.

[quote="Irennan":3e3zynrq]Lolth having a 'boyfriend' is not unique of GH, as Selvetarm is her consort on Toril. They are probably more like 'toys' than actual partners to her, tho. Then again her and the drow's history on GH is very different from what it is in the FR.[/quote:3e3zynrq]

A different boy in every port, huh? ;)

[quote="Irennan":3e3zynrq]Zinzerena has been banished from the Realms by Lolth during the time of troubles. Kiaransalee is basically the same, but more powerful -not a big deal when it comes to the character itself-. Ghaunadaur is basically GH Elder Elemental Eye.[/quote:3e3zynrq]

Thanks for the heads-up on Zinzerena. I will treat her as one of the FR gods from now on. (Alhough I would apply the Spelljammer rule that it takes 1 year and 1 day for any drow that try to bring her back to the crystal sphere.)

[quote="Irennan":3e3zynrq]The only one left is Eilistraee. If you read Evermeet: Island of Elves, it says that after her self-imposed exile, both she and her brother decided to 'wander the mortal lands' (or something along those lines) and that their sphere of choice was the one that the elves chose after their escape from their old world (Tintageer), because of its magical nature (basically because of the Weave): Toril. Then then the Crown Wars happened and after the Dark Disaster that destroyed Miyeritar and killed so many followers of the Dark Dancer, her power was greatly dimished -actually, it was at its lowest-. I think that this fact forced Eilistraee to not extend herself too much in order to keep a presence (which stayed weak for centuries after those events) on Toril -which, according to that novel, had become the main elven world-, thus leaving her influence very low on other spheres. With time, when she recovered from the blow, her mother's presence on Oerth was probably way too strong for Eilistraee to gain a significant number of followers there. It is totally possible that the Dark Dancer is holding her ground on other, 'non main D&D setting' spheres, tho.[/quote:3e3zynrq]

I find it odd that Vhaeraun managed to sneak over to Oerth, but Eilistraee didn't. But I guess that comes down to Eilistraee being invented later in the real-world.

I do think that Eilistraee would be on more than one world. I think Greyhawk can stand up on its own, but Forgotten Realms has this backstory of being connected to many other worlds. I'm pretty sure that both the drow and Eilistraee are in Planescape, but I'm no expert on that campaign setting.

I wonder what Tintageer is like now. I wonder if any life has returned. :?

[quote="Irennan":3e3zynrq]On a side note, if we go with the banishing option, then it would mean that Eilistraee would now -as in the realmsian 1400s DR- be in the same situation that she lived after the destruction of Miyeritar, considering that she was 'kicked' from Toril when her presence on other worlds was so low (actually idk if she managed to establish herself on other drow populated spheres, as there's nothing published on this). This also means that she would absolutely need her followers' or/and some other deities' help from inside Realmspace, if WotC wanted to return her to the Realms taking that route. This leads me to think that if they actually wished to do that, they'd choose a more realms-specific option.[/quote:3e3zynrq]

I tend to go with the "banished" option. I see a god being "killed" as that god being "killed in a single crystal sphere". If they are worshipped in multiple spheres, they would still exist in those other spheres. But if they only existed in a single crystal sphere, then their godly body would drop onto the Astral Plane and float around in a dormant state.

So, to me, knowing if Eilistraee is/was mentioned on Greyhawk, or another world, is a game changer. If she does [i:3e3zynrq]only[/i:3e3zynrq] exist in the Forgotten Realms, that would mean that a gigantic Eilistraee would be floating around on the Astral Plane (probably with a bunch of gith living on her).

[quote="Irennan":3e3zynrq]Obviously there's also the actual explanation that Eilistraee and what she stands for is meant to be Forgotten Realms specific. She can add much and be brought to the drow of any world (as Spelljammer does, for example), but Toril is where she is meant for. GH drow are just what Gary Gygax made them: purely evil. I think it's likely that they wanted to stay true to that concept at least in [i:3e3zynrq]his[/i:3e3zynrq] setting.[/quote:3e3zynrq]

I think that part of this stuff is down to the strange internal-politics at TSR. Some people that moved in decided to push Gary Gygax out of his own company. After that, they brought out 2nd Edition AD&D and put a lot of effort into importing Ed Greenwood's fantasy world into D&D. The Underdark existed back in Greyhawk, but Eilistraee seems to be part of a real-world spin to update them (as well as import them into Forgotten Realms). But if Greyhawk had not been wound down during 2nd Edition and 3rd Edition, there probably would have been more work to make the drow of Greyhawk more three dimensional.

Maybe Eilistraee (or a god or goddess very much like her) might have been added to Greyhawk if history had taken a slightly different path. :?

I will be interested to see what happens if Greyhawk is brought back for 5th Edition. I wouldn't rule out a cult dedicated to Eilistraee on Oerth. :)

As for Spelljammer, I'm still trying to work out how Eilistraee fits into that setting. Ed Greenwood wrote [i:3e3zynrq]SJR1 Lost Ships[/i:3e3zynrq], and I didn't notice a mention of the drow there (but both Elminster and Khelben "Blackstaff" Arundsun have explored wildspace). I get the impression that for 5th Edition, Spelljammer will be cut away from other campaign settings and that the Manual of the Planes/Planescape will be the major connection between Forgotten Realms and other campaign settings.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote:19tkozgt][quote="Irennan":19tkozgt]The only one left is Eilistraee. If you read Evermeet: Island of Elves, it says that after her self-imposed exile, both she and her brother decided to 'wander the mortal lands' (or something along those lines) and that their sphere of choice was the one that the elves chose after their escape from their old world (Tintageer), because of its magical nature (basically because of the Weave): Toril. Then then the Crown Wars happened and after the Dark Disaster that destroyed Miyeritar and killed so many followers of the Dark Dancer, her power was greatly dimished -actually, it was at its lowest-. I think that this fact forced Eilistraee to not extend herself too much in order to keep a presence (which stayed weak for centuries after those events) on Toril -which, according to that novel, had become the main elven world-, thus leaving her influence very low on other spheres. With time, when she recovered from the blow, her mother's presence on Oerth was probably way too strong for Eilistraee to gain a significant number of followers there. It is totally possible that the Dark Dancer is holding her ground on other, 'non main D&D setting' spheres, tho.[/quote:19tkozgt]

I find it odd that Vhaeraun managed to sneak over to Oerth, but Eilistraee didn't. But I guess that comes down to Eilistraee being invented later in the real-world.

I do think that Eilistraee would be on more than one world. I think Greyhawk can stand up on its own, but Forgotten Realms has this backstory of being connected to many other worlds. I'm pretty sure that both the drow and Eilistraee are in Planescape, but I'm no expert on that campaign setting.

I wonder what Tintageer is like now. I wonder if any life has returned. :? [/quote:19tkozgt]

Eilistraee and Vhaeraun were created together by Ed for the 2e Drow of the Underdarik supplement, AFAIK. As for Eilistraee being on other worlds, I agree. However her presence can't be as prominent as other deites there because of what happened on Faerun. Vhaeraun, for example, didn't get his worshippers decimated.

[quote:19tkozgt][quote="Irennan":19tkozgt]On a side note, if we go with the banishing option, then it would mean that Eilistraee would now -as in the realmsian 1400s DR- be in the same situation that she lived after the destruction of Miyeritar, considering that she was 'kicked' from Toril when her presence on other worlds was so low (actually idk if she managed to establish herself on other drow populated spheres, as there's nothing published on this). This also means that she would absolutely need her followers' or/and some other deities' help from inside Realmspace, if WotC wanted to return her to the Realms taking that route. This leads me to think that if they actually wished to do that, they'd choose a more realms-specific option.[/quote:19tkozgt]

I tend to go with the "banished" option. I see a god being "killed" as that god being "killed in a single crystal sphere". If they are worshipped in multiple spheres, they would still exist in those other spheres. But if they only existed in a single crystal sphere, then their godly body would drop onto the Astral Plane and float around in a dormant state.

So, to me, knowing if Eilistraee is/was mentioned on Greyhawk, or another world, is a game changer. If she does [i:19tkozgt]only[/i:19tkozgt] exist in the Forgotten Realms, that would mean that a gigantic Eilistraee would be floating around on the Astral Plane (probably with a bunch of gith living on her).
[/quote:19tkozgt]

Well, if Vhaeraun managed to go on other worlds, as I said, I guess that Eilistraee did that too, but for the reasons above her cult would be minor in places like Oerth where other drow gods are prominent. Nonetheless it would still exist.

Please, giant Eilistraee with giths living on her makes me sad :'(
Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Irennan":19hhs2g8][quote="Dostrelt":19hhs2g8][quote="Irennan":19hhs2g8]The only one left is Eilistraee. If you read Evermeet: Island of Elves, it says that after her self-imposed exile, both she and her brother decided to 'wander the mortal lands' (or something along those lines) and that their sphere of choice was the one that the elves chose after their escape from their old world (Tintageer), because of its magical nature (basically because of the Weave): Toril. Then then the Crown Wars happened and after the Dark Disaster that destroyed Miyeritar and killed so many followers of the Dark Dancer, her power was greatly dimished -actually, it was at its lowest-. I think that this fact forced Eilistraee to not extend herself too much in order to keep a presence (which stayed weak for centuries after those events) on Toril -which, according to that novel, had become the main elven world-, thus leaving her influence very low on other spheres. With time, when she recovered from the blow, her mother's presence on Oerth was probably way too strong for Eilistraee to gain a significant number of followers there. It is totally possible that the Dark Dancer is holding her ground on other, 'non main D&D setting' spheres, tho.[/quote:19hhs2g8]

I wonder what Tintageer is like now. I wonder if any life has returned. :? [/quote:19hhs2g8]

Eilistraee and Vhaeraun were created together by Ed for the 2e Drow of the Underdarik supplement, AFAIK. As for Eilistraee being on other worlds, I agree. However her presence can't be as prominent as other deites there because of what happened on Faerun. Vhaeraun, for example, didn't get his worshippers decimated.[/quote:19hhs2g8]

I looked at the 3e book [i:19hhs2g8]Drow of the Underdark[/i:19hhs2g8]. Instead of being a Forgotten Realms book it is a Greyhawk-lite book with an entire chapter on the city of [url=http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... u:19hhs2g8]Erelhei-Cinlu[/url:19hhs2g8]*. Chapter Three: Prestige Classes suggests that the Sword Dancer PrC from Faiths and Pantheons would be appropriate in a drow campaign. It does not state that Sword Dancers or Eilistraee are only appropriate for games in the Forgotten Realms. Here is the exact quote (from page 65):
[quote="Drow of the Underdark: Chapter Three: Prestige Classes":19hhs2g8][b:19hhs2g8]Sword Dancer[/b:19hhs2g8] (Faiths and Pantheons 205): Another excellent choice for drow who worship gods other than Lolth, the sword dancer follows the edicts of Eilistraee the Dark Maiden and works to lead the dark elves back to the surface.[/quote:19hhs2g8]

[i:19hhs2g8]* = According to Forgotten Realms Wiki [url=http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/E ... u:19hhs2g8]Erelhei-Cinlu[/url:19hhs2g8] has eight drow houses that are also found in the Underdark of the Forgotten Realms. (These houses are Aleval, Despana, Eilservs, Everhate, Godeep, Kilsek, Noquar and Tormtor.) I have not verified that claim yet, and it lacks a citation.[/i:19hhs2g8]

Eilistraee is also mentioned in the "50 Adventure Ideas" on section on page 185:
[quote="Drow of the Underdark: Chapter Six: Campaigns and Adventures":19hhs2g8]Followers of Eilistraee seek protection from drow marauders during an important dance ritual.[/quote:19hhs2g8]

There are also two mentions of the Greyhawk god Pelor, in the same section. So it does look like the book makes Eilistraee a canon deity of Greyhawk, but without any explanation of how her faith works there.

[quote="Irennan":19hhs2g8][quote="Dostrelt":19hhs2g8][quote="Irennan":19hhs2g8]On a side note, if we go with the banishing option, then it would mean that Eilistraee would now -as in the realmsian 1400s DR- be in the same situation that she lived after the destruction of Miyeritar, considering that she was 'kicked' from Toril when her presence on other worlds was so low (actually idk if she managed to establish herself on other drow populated spheres, as there's nothing published on this). This also means that she would absolutely need her followers' or/and some other deities' help from inside Realmspace, if WotC wanted to return her to the Realms taking that route. This leads me to think that if they actually wished to do that, they'd choose a more realms-specific option.[/quote:19hhs2g8]

So, to me, knowing if Eilistraee is/was mentioned on Greyhawk, or another world, is a game changer. If she does [i:19hhs2g8]only[/i:19hhs2g8] exist in the Forgotten Realms, that would mean that a gigantic Eilistraee would be floating around on the Astral Plane (probably with a bunch of gith living on her).
[/quote:19hhs2g8]

Well, if Vhaeraun managed to go on other worlds, as I said, I guess that Eilistraee did that too, but for the reasons above her cult would be minor in places like Oerth where other drow gods are prominent. Nonetheless it would still exist.[/quote:19hhs2g8]

Sounds good to me.

[quote="Irennan":19hhs2g8]Please, giant Eilistraee with giths living on her makes me sad :'([/quote:19hhs2g8]

I better cancel my plan to commission an artist to paint me a picture of a ten mile long stone Eilistraee floating in the Astral Plane then. :devil: ;)

Actually, I was thinking that, by all the rules that exist some form of Eilistraee would still be around for worshippers to go and attempt a rescue. Maybe they could put sails on her and fly her back to the Outer Planes to wake her up.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Dostrealt":3k62ai2u]

I looked at the 3e book [i:3k62ai2u]Drow of the Underdark[/i:3k62ai2u]. Instead of being a Forgotten Realms book it is a Greyhawk-lite book with an entire chapter on the city of [url=http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... u:3k62ai2u]Erelhei-Cinlu[/url:3k62ai2u]*. Chapter Three: Prestige Classes suggests that the Sword Dancer PrC from Faiths and Pantheons would be appropriate in a drow campaign. It does not state that Sword Dancers or Eilistraee are only appropriate for games in the Forgotten Realms. Here is the exact quote (from page 65):
[quote="Drow of the Underdark: Chapter Three: Prestige Classes":3k62ai2u][b:3k62ai2u]Sword Dancer[/b:3k62ai2u] (Faiths and Pantheons 205): Another excellent choice for drow who worship gods other than Lolth, the sword dancer follows the edicts of Eilistraee the Dark Maiden and works to lead the dark elves back to the surface.[/quote:3k62ai2u]

[i:3k62ai2u]* = According to Forgotten Realms Wiki [url=http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/E ... u:3k62ai2u]Erelhei-Cinlu[/url:3k62ai2u] has eight drow houses that are also found in the Underdark of the Forgotten Realms. (These houses are Aleval, Despana, Eilservs, Everhate, Godeep, Kilsek, Noquar and Tormtor.) I have not verified that claim yet, and it lacks a citation.[/i:3k62ai2u]

Eilistraee is also mentioned in the "50 Adventure Ideas" on section on page 185:
[quote="Drow of the Underdark: Chapter Six: Campaigns and Adventures":3k62ai2u]Followers of Eilistraee seek protection from drow marauders during an important dance ritual.[/quote:3k62ai2u]

There are also two mentions of the Greyhawk god Pelor, in the same section. So it does look like the book makes Eilistraee a canon deity of Greyhawk, but without any explanation of how her faith works there.

[/quote:3k62ai2u]

That's cool!

About the possibility of a rescue, yeah that could be another way for her to return, but if she has presence in other worlds then the floating body won't exist.
Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Irennan":3l2taw9w][quote="Dostrealt":3l2taw9w]I looked at the 3e book [i:3l2taw9w]Drow of the Underdark[/i:3l2taw9w]. Instead of being a Forgotten Realms book it is a Greyhawk-lite book with an entire chapter on the city of [url=http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php ... u:3l2taw9w]Erelhei-Cinlu[/url:3l2taw9w]*. Chapter Three: Prestige Classes suggests that the Sword Dancer PrC from Faiths and Pantheons would be appropriate in a drow campaign. It does not state that Sword Dancers or Eilistraee are only appropriate for games in the Forgotten Realms. Here is the exact quote (from page 65):
[quote="Drow of the Underdark: Chapter Three: Prestige Classes":3l2taw9w][b:3l2taw9w]Sword Dancer[/b:3l2taw9w] (Faiths and Pantheons 205): Another excellent choice for drow who worship gods other than Lolth, the sword dancer follows the edicts of Eilistraee the Dark Maiden and works to lead the dark elves back to the surface.[/quote:3l2taw9w]

[i:3l2taw9w]* = According to Forgotten Realms Wiki [url=http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/E ... u:3l2taw9w]Erelhei-Cinlu[/url:3l2taw9w] has eight drow houses that are also found in the Underdark of the Forgotten Realms. (These houses are Aleval, Despana, Eilservs, Everhate, Godeep, Kilsek, Noquar and Tormtor.) I have not verified that claim yet, and it lacks a citation.[/i:3l2taw9w]

[quote="Drow of the Underdark: Chapter Six: Campaigns and Adventures":3l2taw9w]Followers of Eilistraee seek protection from drow marauders during an important dance ritual.[/quote:3l2taw9w]

There are also two mentions of the Greyhawk god Pelor, in the same section. So it does look like the book makes Eilistraee a canon deity of Greyhawk, but without any explanation of how her faith works there.[/quote:3l2taw9w]

That's cool![/quote:3l2taw9w]

It isn't much. And I've met Greyhawk fans that are a bit unhappy about the accuracy of the canon in Greyhawk-lite products. But maybe we might see Greyhawk return to print for the 5th Edition Era. If that happens, I'll be watching for mentions of Eilistraee.

My feel is that Eilistraee should be known in Greyhawk, but not specifically as Lolth's daughter. That would fit in with the backstory of her brother there.

[quote="Irennan":3l2taw9w]About the possibility of a rescue, yeah that could be another way for her to return, but if she has presence in other worlds then the floating body won't exist.[/quote:3l2taw9w]

I agree totally. :D
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Dostrealt":15mdlgg9]

It isn't much. And I've met Greyhawk fans that are a bit unhappy about the accuracy of the canon in Greyhawk-lite products. But maybe we might see Greyhawk return to print for the 5th Edition Era. If that happens, I'll be watching for mentions of Eilistraee.

My feel is that Eilistraee should be known in Greyhawk, but not specifically as Lolth's daughter. That would fit in with the backstory of her brother there.

[/quote:15mdlgg9]

I meant that it is cool that Eilistraee is included in Greyhawk. Inaccurate canon is always lame, FR also has some problems with that.
delmetddx
Maid
Maid

Drow deities of Greyhawk

Post by delmetddx »

Very interesting As a huge fan of the Mentzer Immortal Set, I like how this adds a new perspective on the Greyhawk deities. Especially the division into Spheres is useful.

Some deities are shared between Greyhawk and Mystara. Are these ranged differently on this list than in Mystaras Wrath of the Immortals Boxed Set? I would check, but I dont have the books available right now.

-Havard
Nedforspidwak
Maid
Maid

Drow deities of Greyhawk

Post by Nedforspidwak »

The greater gods and 7th level spells was a D&D-g thing that Im sure EGG didnt use. The DMG just says deities. If you want to enforce that you probably have to tweak the list.

[Shir'le edit] Removed spam link.