The Changedance

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

DarkSongKnight
Maid
Maid

The Changedance

Post by DarkSongKnight »

Ok, I've noticed several posts which have turned into debates on the changedance that males must undergo to become clerics of Eilistraee.
The debates range from how deeply the change affects the psyche and mind, to whether or not it is even appropriate for males to have to undergo such a thing.
Example.....
[quote:39eua25z]As I understand it from Ed's comments. Your character will indeed be female, her thoughts, her emotions, her form. The closer RL concept I can offer is a person transgender. ChangeDance is not like a Transgender though, in that they always believe there were in a wrong gender paxckage.

ChangeDance will make your character a female in thoughts and emotions. Yes she will look at her form as a female. There pf course will be memoroes of being male (also the knowledge she will become male again). She clearly will be warned/advised in Dream visions of what will come.

"Come be my Sister for a time and I will bless you" or things along that line. A sucessful ChangeDance does not just change form it changes the mind. Your character will become a sister to other Clerics, will go though all that females go though. Your character will be a sister in the faith for as long as the change lasts.
[/quote:39eua25z]

Also....
[quote:39eua25z]Quote:
A male may be a priest of the Dark Maiden, but he must perform the changedance. To me it's not just a swich of bodies (like Edwin used to do in BG 2) but a change that runs deep in the psyche. And the more it lasts, the deeper it goes.

Even worse. So not only do you have to change your body to be accepted you have to change your very psyche to be accepted? So much for free choice and will[/quote:39eua25z]

I'm very much interested to hear everyone's opinion regarding the dance. But lets not let it get to be a [i:39eua25z]very[/i:39eua25z] heated debate. :tear:

I actually believe that its reasonable for males to spend short periods of time as females in order to achieve a greater understanding and closeness to Eilistraee. I don't think its a way to "beat down" males or prove that females are superior to males. It simply helps one to obtain a closness to Eilistraee that one may otherwise not be able to achieve, as male.
Although, it does seem like some of the priestesses are still clinging (ever so slightly) to Lolthite-dogma, in showing favor to females, while frowning upon males.
As for it changing the psyche and mind... thats where I get concerned. The male learning what its like to be female is nice, but to affect their very thoughts, emotions, and such...? How deeply will the change affect the male? Will he "revert" back to thinking like a male once the change is over?

Just some thoughts.... ;)
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

The sense I get from what Ed said, indeed the male Cleric will feel and be female. in fact will over the years desire the female form for longer times. The individual experience (or degree of change to psyche) likely will vary depending on the individual and how much they attune to the Dark Maiden. However I believe in all cases the xharacter will remember what it was like being male and also after first change dance expired what it was like to be female, becomig once again male.

The character, IMO, will know the joys and drawbacks better of each gender.

The female clergy asspect does still bother me, but ChangeDance at least permit males to be male Clerics most of the time.

Not sure what you agree with or disagree woth, but in some ways it might be the best (and worst) of being both genders. I still do believe it would not hurt female clerics to become male from time to time. This might even be coming, but right now the females have to adjust to the idea of there being male Clerics at all. Concerning Drow with long life span, perhaps in 500 years there will be ChangeDance for females as well *G*

The other problem with female only cleric is while Elves had the general default that only females were able to be Clerics (this of course has changed over the years and game redesign) is that some followers and even Clerics are not elves. Like most things you can agree and use Ed's vision and/or my interpertation of it or discard it in your game. You could impose ChangeDance on every Cleric as far as that goes.
Vendrin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vendrin »

Just a repost of my latest comment on the last thread. Sums up what I feel.

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":kuj4bphg][quote="Vendrin":kuj4bphg]Mhmm. My question to you is, what kind of so called "good" goddess discriminates on gender bias? I mean if she made all her females change into males to get that side of the story, then I could let it fly, but this still irks me.[/quote:kuj4bphg]
To be fair, a number of real-world religions also discriminate on gender bias (and are still considered 'good').[/quote:kuj4bphg]
Yes, they do, however in the Forgotten Realms and D&D, good is not quite as subjective and far more clear cut.

[quote:kuj4bphg]Of course, that's more the people than the deity, but I would think it's the same with Eilistraee (then again, I'm not Ed so he might disagree :p ); she herself doesn't discriminate on gender but the clergy has a hard time getting out of that mindset. Maybe the changedance is just her way to try and easy them into wider understanding (she can't really afford to lose the female clergy by asking them to go through the same thing or asking them to accept male clerics as is... yet).[/quote:kuj4bphg]

If they can't tolerate males as is, they shouldn't be in her priestesshood. If she wanted to make both of her clerics switch gender for a short while, fine they can have at it, even though I still would not approve of the whole ritual. But she's asking just the men to change something vital about who they are to satisfy the egos of women who aren't willing to look past the mindset lolth instilled into them, or their own prejudices on the precept that she still needs those very women. (if that is indeed the precept, and it isn't because eilistraee [i:kuj4bphg]is[/i:kuj4bphg] gender-biased, albeit to a less extent then Lolth.)

[quote:kuj4bphg][quote="Vendrin":kuj4bphg]I know you'll disagree with me Shir'le and I can accept that, so we'll just have to agree to disagree, because to me, gender is an instrumental part of who you are, and it should not be something changed lightly, or without a great deal of thought and conviction that is the right thing to do for the rest of your life, not just long enough to make a goddess happy so you can get your spells.[/quote:kuj4bphg]
Oh, I agree with that. But as noted, the changedance isn't a permanent thing (and thus can be more lightly decided to do) and I also doubt it's "just to get spells".[/quote:kuj4bphg]

I don't think you got my point, which is probably my fault for not being clear. I don't think such a gender switch should occur unless it is permanent, and because the person wishes it, not because a goddess requires it to either prove loyalty to her, or to placate the extreme factions of her own religion.

A temporary switch to somehow learn what it is like to be a women, is insulting to both men and women. To men in the fact that we need to understand women to be of aid/worthy to be a cleric of eilistraee and to women in that it insinuates we can understand what it is to be a women simply by changing our bodies and not our minds/perceptions, especially when the change is what, a few months tops?

[quote="Argoth":kuj4bphg]I think we already had a discussion on the necessity of the changedance and why does it work one way. My point of view is that becouse Eilistraee is still a female drow deity, and the sociaty from which she takes (through her servants) priestesses is matriarchal... it all ads up in my opinion.[/quote:kuj4bphg]
Oh, I agree it all adds up and make sense, but that doesn't mean I approve of it. Or ever will.

[quote:kuj4bphg]It's just like with Christianity when it was first introduced to the northern tribes. Jesus was to them presented as a chieftain, a lord, a ringgiver, so that they could understand the fundamental law, the He is the supreme ruler. There was no other way to make Christianity to them attractive. Although the conversion from Lolthianism to Eilistraee is much more difficult, (it involves a change from evil to good in D&D terms, which so to say are a bit stiff) some elements MUST remain the same, for the new to somehow resemble the old. With time those new worshippers come to understand that there actually is equality between genders in the Eilistraee church. It just works in different spheres. [/quote:kuj4bphg]
I don't see why they have to remain the same. Why is big bigotry not alright(No it's not alright to keep slaves and kill people for pleasure), but small bigotry(oh, but yes, females are still superior to males) is alright? Yes explanations have been given by Shir'le and others, but at most those are excuses for something that isn't right, it's just that it needs to be done to placate the female converts who are too used to Lolth's dogma.

I just don't see why it's such a big deal to stop seeing men as inferior when they've already had to change their world view to become eilistraeens in the first place. Now if Eilistraee were just to come out and say then females were superior, that's fine. Then it's part of her dogma, I wouldn't be pleased with it, but I'd live with it. But she's still claiming to be a faith that is gender neutral but it obviously isn't.
((and for those that want to look to at the real world, this is not the real world we are talking about))

[quote:kuj4bphg]A male may be a priest of the Dark Maiden, but he must perform the changedance. To me it's not just a swich of bodies (like Edwin used to do in BG 2) but a change that runs deep in the psyche. And the more it lasts, the deeper it goes.[/quote:kuj4bphg]
Even worse. So not only do you have to change your body to be accepted you have to change your very psyche to be accepted? So much for free choice and will.

[quote:kuj4bphg] It is necessery for men to "feel" more as the goddess they serve is a woman and a mother (not literally) to her followers. Hence the priests (as a more direct connection to the goddess) must be more parent-like. And caring. &ct. [/quote:kuj4bphg]

So why doesn't Sune require it? Or Selune? Or Sharess? Or Angharradh the elven goddess of fertility, birth?

And for that matter, why does not a single one of the male deities require something like it?
Why can't a man be parent-like? Is there something wrong with Fatherhood?

IF there was another diety of the good drow, a male, perhaps a consort or brother of Eilistraee, then she could focus on females and let males focus on said consort/brother. That is what pantheons are there for, to unite slightly different beliefs under the same over arching goal. However Eilistraee is the ONLY diety of ALL good drow, not just the females. It isn't right to believe that men somehow need to experience life as a female to serve her as a cleric. AND if that is not the reason she requires the changedance, instead it is to placate the extreme factions of her faith that still hold on to matriarchal tendencies, that is even worse, because she is acquesing to the wrongful whims of her followers to keep them, and in a realm where gods have changed to suit their followers, what is currently done to placate them, may mark the change in her self until she believes as they do.
"What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses evil perhaps in some way better than a man who has good imposed upon him?"
Mikayla
Maid
Maid

Post by Mikayla »

Interesting discussion.

Vendrin:
[quote:1qrr8orq]I don't see why they have to remain the same. Why is big bigotry not alright(No it's not alright to keep slaves and kill people for pleasure), but small bigotry(oh, but yes, females are still superior to males) is alright? Yes explanations have been given by Shir'le and others, but at most those are excuses for something that isn't right, it's just that it needs to be done to placate the female converts who are too used to Lolth's dogma. [/quote:1qrr8orq]

It isn't "right" (and by "right" I suppose we must mean "fair" since to the Eilistraeen clergy, this bit of dogma is obviously "right" even if it offends us here in the real world). So, its not fair - but since when have religions been fair? Religions are all about creating an "us vs. them" dichotomy (the faithful vs. the heathens/pagans/infidels/heretics/etc.) so I would not go looking for fairness from religion.

Vendrin:
[quote:1qrr8orq]I just don't see why it's such a big deal to stop seeing men as inferior when they've already had to change their world view to become eilistraeens in the first place. Now if Eilistraee were just to come out and say then females were superior, that's fine. Then it's part of her dogma, I wouldn't be pleased with it, but I'd live with it. But she's still claiming to be a faith that is gender neutral but it obviously isn't. [/quote:1qrr8orq]

Catholics claim to be gender neutral too, but they aren't - no female priests allowed, even after nearly 2000 years, despite several schism (1054 - split with the Orthodox churches) and 1500s (split with Protestants) and the subsequent "reformation."

Now, I am not saying thats "right" (ie fair) - quite the contrary in fact - but I am using the real-world example to show that its completely normal for those in power to (a) attempt to retain that power, and at the same time, claim (b) not to be prejudiced. Thats not an aberration or error - thats humanity, unfortunately.

The big wrinkle here is D&Ds rigid alignment system which does not exist in the real world - Eilistraee is "good" yet under the alignment system, prejudging someone on their race or gender (ie prejudice) is an "evil" trait. So, either Eilistraee is not perfect or there is an "error." I prefer to think Eilistraee is simply not perfect - Abeir-Toril is a pagan world and prior to the advent of our current monotheistic religions (Christianity, Islam, etc) with their all-knowing, all-powerful, all-present, and perfect gods, pagan religions were FULL of imperfect, very "human" gods and goddesses. And many of them might generally be what we would call "Good" (like Zeus, who was a big-father figure) but who also had flaws (like that Zeus was totally an unfaithful husband and lech).

Conclusion? Eilistraee is mostly good, but she is flawed because of her prejudice against males. That seems perfectly in keeping with traditional pagan goddesses and gods. It rubs us the wrong way because we have grown up in a world that states its "god" (be it Yaweh, Jehovah, or Allah) is "perfect" and god has nearly become synonmous with perfection - but that was not so in our pagan past, and Eilistraee is closer to our pagan-god roots that our current monotheism.
AKA Sheyreiza Valakasha, Yathtallar d'Lolth, Princess of the Demonweb Pits, aka Ghenni'salla Tlabbar, aka L'olath'anon, the Dark Flower, aka the Valsharess of ALFA, aka ... well ... you get the picture. :devil:
DarkSongKnight
Maid
Maid

Post by DarkSongKnight »

[quote:s28n9cvx]The sense I get from what Ed said, indeed the male Cleric will feel and be female. in fact will over the years desire the female form for longer times. The individual experience (or degree of change to psyche) likely will vary depending on the individual and how much they attune to the Dark Maiden. However I believe in all cases the xharacter will remember what it was like being male and also after first change dance expired what it was like to be female, becomig once again male.[/quote:s28n9cvx]

I think the changedance is interesting, and I'm glad that males can be clerics now. Not being able to be one of my favorite deity would be the pits. :p

I was wondering (Hehe, there goes my mind again, wandering... lol), if the change would affect the male in question's psyche enough to influence his/her romantic interests? That might be troublesome for any relationships that existed before or come into existence while the change is in place. This problem has already arisen in the story I'm working on....

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. :)
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

hmm, not really sure on that one. It would definitely be shocking to the changed priest/ess, to be sure. That one will have to be thought over a bit, I think.

*ponders*
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="DarkSongKnight":3jkr7n5x]

I was wondering (Hehe, there goes my mind again, wandering... lol), if the change would affect the male in question's psyche enough to influence his/her romantic interests? That might be troublesome for any relationships that existed before or come into existence while the change is in place. This problem has already arisen in the story I'm working on....

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. :)[/quote:3jkr7n5x]

Again from watching comments posted by THO (The Hooded One), the sense I get that the Realms are far more liberal compared to RW. Bi-sexual or homesexual lovers are accepted with a passing comment if commented on at all. Very few if any religion condemn same sex encounters. The individual character might have an issue with same sex, but odds are more likely the player is having the issue. The sense I get is that at least 25 percent of the population of the Realms have had a same sex encounter and very few less then one precent condemned them for doing so.

Ed it appears is rather hedonistic as to his home game and of course where the Realms have a lot of develpment. He (as reported by THO) says he sends in a lot of content that he knew TSR would cut (because of sexual nature) in hopes that a little would see print.

THO reported some time ago for one Role Play session she shaved every visable hair, dyed her skin black. She furtger reported that rge only thing she wore was a pandant and a pair of shoes.

If this strory is true and I have never found a reason to disvelieve her, it appears the realms are very much sexually liberated.

I do grant making love with a woman when recently becoming a woman clearly would add an oddity to any ongoing relasionship. That is something the characters would need to work out. Perhaps only petting until she turns back into a he. Perhaps more or less.
DarkSongKnight
Maid
Maid

Post by DarkSongKnight »

Yay! Bhaern Quel, you just answered all the questions I had concerning that. Thank you so much! The information was great. :D

[quote:12rw5ijf]Bi-sexual or homesexual lovers are accepted with a passing comment if commented on at all. Very few if any religion condemn same sex encounters.[/quote:12rw5ijf]

I'm glad this is the case in the Realms. Now it would seem I can put a little more detail into my character Neyinssin, and continue the story I'm slowly putting together.

Another thing thats been bugging me, which I find a little funny.... Vhaeraun's clergy is stated as being over 99% male! Oh c'mon! Theres gotta be some luvin' going on there! ROFL :lol:

Thank you again Bhaern. ;)
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Not my personal opinion, but for thought's sake, consider this.

Ever consider that maybe female drow just have an inherent superiority complex regardless of their alignment? It's not all that uncommon among mortals, so why not gods? They're as mortal like in personality as the people who spawned them, unless they're a neutral type, but that's a whole other debate.
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

This topic is frighteningly popular.
Still, on the subject. Maybe this whole argument would drop, if Ed used his head and thought up of a rule that would make the female population spend some time as the male population, then it would be a fair "point of view".
But, Ed is to busy buying a mercedes so it doesn't matter.
In conclusion I would like to say that Eilistraee is Llolth's doughter, and as much as I like her and her way of life (may I burn in the Nine Hells for this) she has still inherited that fabulous and lavish thing we all love today and is called "sexism"...although it is somewhat less shown in the doughter (why God?).

Can this subject be finally DROP?!
:3
Zakharra
Maid
Maid

Post by Zakharra »

I like the idea of being able to change shape into a woman. :D
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[quote="Rooky":37ekkpgs]This topic is frighteningly popular.

Can this subject be finally DROP?![/quote:37ekkpgs]

[color=darkred:37ekkpgs]Remember the debate over why Lolth became more powerful after she died? :p [/color:37ekkpgs]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

well, we made a whole seperate thread for it, so...if you don't want to read about the debate, then...don't. But if people want to dscuss it then they should be able to.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Arathen":2d6ydagg]well, we made a whole seperate thread for it, so...if you don't want to read about the debate, then...don't. But if people want to dscuss it then they should be able to.[/quote:2d6ydagg]
Agreed.

My own views on the Changedance come down to this. I think it’s a transitional step. The old source material (AD&D 2[sup:2d6ydagg]nd[/sup:2d6ydagg] ed) clearly only allowed female priestesses and the new material (D&D 3E) doesn’t seem clear either way. So perhaps the Changedance is a way to transition from one to the other, making the AD&D priestesses familiar with the concept of male priests before just continuing along with allowing male priests as is.

I don’t really think there’s any real “getting closer to Eilistraee” or such, just that that’s what they’re being told to make it more acceptable to them (call it a compromise) until they’re ahead enough that they (males and females both) don’t need the extra step anymore. I see it more as a way for Eilistraee to educate her children without scaring them off.

And, of course, it wouldn’t surprise me if Ed himself just likes the idea of men changing into women. :p

Anyway, I do hope that the new series opens things up more for Eilistraee to be gender inclusive. Even if things don’t stay the way they are now, perhaps that’s one thing that’ll linger.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shyressa
Maid
Maid

Post by Shyressa »

Well when Drow were first introduced they said there were a rare few male clerics, but that they seldom got past 4th level, and even in the 2nd edition it says most Drow clerics are female. Now since this is the normal, that more females than males tend to be clerics, it just makes sense that there would be more female clerics in Eilistraee's service. However, there is also a greater percentage of males who leave the underdark than females, simply because of the matriarchy in place. But what puzzles me is who they can say Eilistraee would require any kind of shapechange for her priesthood..I mean theres nothing in any of her write-ups to even suggest this kind of thinking on her part, especially given to how her church has no formal hierarchy..whats to say there are not entire covens of nothing but male worshippers out there, with male priests calling the shots??? Just because the Goddess and most of the clergy are female doesnt mean she would require all male clergy to become female for a period, especially since I see this as her falling into her mother's thinking and she has always reviled her mother's way of thinking, and nowhere does it specifically say her clergy are female. Males can be clerics in the Underdark but around 4th level is when they undergo the ritual of loyalty to Lolth, in which she would either destroy them for presuming to want more power or that they never even attempt to get to that level. I would see male clergy as more of a combat medic, sent out on long range patrols, where its not worth the life of a priestess going, yet the males just might need a little healing, or extra food, etc.

I for one won't be including that rule in any campaign I run, since it just doesnt make sense to her portfolio at all, since she wants to help bring males to the surface, and a male cleric would be more of a rare surprise and certainly much easier to convert than a female fanatic of Lolth.