The Changedance

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well Eilistraee did not exist in 1st Edition.
When 2nd introduced her she had female only.
When 3rd came out Lolth killed or changed all of her male Clerics to female only. There has never been in story an explaination of this.
Eilistraee 3rd enter was vauge as males as Sword Dancer was female only, but the Cleric entry did not hve the gender risttiction clearly stated.
To become a Sword Dancer one needed to be able to cast 2nd level Divine spells. Of core classes that left three classes that can cast Divine spells, Cleric, Palidin and Ranger.
The Dark Maiden can not have Paladins.
A ranger becoming a Sword Dancer would be a very poor build, but posible. Of course under the list of Deities that have Rangers Eilistraee was not listed. The book is not internally consistant as many Clerics of Eilistraee muticlass as Fighters, Rangers and Bards.

As for Change Dance being a rule, what Ed says is canon unless print says otherwise. Only recently Ed allowed females of other races to become Clerics, however print has allowed this for 15 years or so. Also there is no clear explaination of duration of Change Dance, just Ed saying each time a male becomes female the effect lasts longer then the last time and in Ed's world the more times a male performs a ChangeDance the more repect he will receive from his female Clerics. This however does not have a level limit effect.
There can be a Level 20 Cleric that performed changedance once and a level 5 Cleric that performed changedance 5 times. The females will (In Ed;s world) have more respect for the Level 5 Cleric, because he is more like us then that other guy. I myself not all that trilled with hpw Ed offered a way for males to become Clerics and the social rules. Of cotse the DM has the right to rule 0 anything for their own world, Ed clearly used rule 0 as far as other race Clerics for a long time.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Shyressa":3bejie8b]I for one won't be including that rule in any campaign I run, since it just doesnt make sense to her portfolio at all, since she wants to help bring males to the surface, and a male cleric would be more of a rare surprise and certainly much easier to convert than a female fanatic of Lolth.[/quote:3bejie8b]
Agreed, I wouldn't include it as a rule in my campaigns either (and if the server gets off the ground it won't be a rule there either). I [i:3bejie8b]would[/i:3bejie8b] however like to include the spell for those who [i:3bejie8b]choose[/i:3bejie8b] to use it (and I'd make the spell work both ways too so females can use it too).

Thing is though, what we do in our own campaigns and what is 'canon' often aren't the same.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee