Information on Qilue

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

DarkSongKnight
Maid
Maid

Information on Qilue

Post by DarkSongKnight »

I was browsing the web, and came across this.

[quote:36qw3fwq]Kuje, I flipped this to Ed (who was hard at work writing), and when he came up for air at the end of a chapter, he pounded out this reply:

Qilue is a Chosen of Mystra with all the powers and special status other Chosen of the Mother Of All Magic possess.
Eilistraee wanted a “claim” on her, too, hence her Chosen of Eilistraee title. It means two things: she’s as loyal to Eilistraee as to Mystra (in daily practise, as shown in SILVERFALL, more so), and Eilistraee foresees using her in some great task (i.e. a not-yet-revealed destiny).
Being as this is Candlekeep, I can do no more than point you to what a Harper PC (not one of the Knights) uncovered when asking a monk of Candlekeep to research Qilue’s destiny. The monk was of course limited to finding prophecies and other written histories, and reported thus: one seer saw a dream wherein Qilue wielded a sword forged of her own blood, and was hailed by knights as “the Godslayer.”
However, another seer (the monk declined to identify either of his sources, BTW) said “the dark one who serves two goddesses but leads the dance for only one shall be mother to a new race, and change the face of the Realms forever.”
Either way, it seems Qilue’s future bids fair to be interesting.

So saith Ed. Alaundo, you heard it here first. It seems Candlekeep holds some doggedly diligent or creative monks (or both).[/quote:36qw3fwq]

Very very interesting. Heres the link
[url:36qw3fwq]http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?T ... hichpage=3[/url:36qw3fwq]

Death to Lolth! woot!
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

*Grin* I would have posted this a long time ago, but prophercy is so vauge.

Indeed she might kill a deity and also engender a new race. On the Other hand niether might occur. It is interesting only that Ed is considering some more interesting things in Qilue's future, not like her current histroty has not already been interesting. Walking about Waterdeep naked, though clothed in illusion for example.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Ah yes, I vaguely remember reading that before. Quite interesting indeed.

I wonder if that's a hint as to the end of the new trilogy. I mean, it seems gods are being slain left and right already there anyway. :p

Still... I do think that it's all a bit too over-the-top powerful. Mortals and deities don't mix beyond the religious level (worship and trying to figure out what it is your deity wants ;)).

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Speaking of her, there's something that's been bugging me for a while.

How exactly does she get away with being the Chosen of two different deities? Is it because she doesn't actually worship Mystra, or something? And what's more, if she's the chosen of two deities then how would the matter of who gets her soul after she dies be settled?
Harl l'drathir udos alure, Eilistraee lu'Anixiel ulu kyorl udossa zuch
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well the two made a deal, Mystra needed a body for the last of the Seven. She found a Drow worshipped og Eilistraee. Thus permission was required to mess with her follower.

As far as being a Chosen of Eilistraee officially she gets no bonus for it, no special abilities, etc. Perhaps in the future we might discover a official benefit of being Chosen of Elistraee *shrugs*

As for Qilue's primary or first loyality it appears clear to me right now it is the Dark Maiden.

The Seven howecer will never die unless Mystra is defeated/killed or loses her portfolios.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

So the Seven are essentially avatars of Mystra, then?
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":b2du1n1o]So the Seven are essentially avatars of Mystra, then?[/quote:b2du1n1o]

Not quite, the essence of them that make these Seven Chosen is that Mystra has part of herself in them. She imparted a part of her own divinity into these seven females, to insure against the Goddess of Magic being killed again. They are not avatars which would be more directly under Mystra's control, but a part of them are divine that if She dies between them a replacement will reappear in short time.

At least that is how I understand it.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

Oddly enough, that makes perfect sense.
Vendrin
Maid
Maid

Post by Vendrin »

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":1mxnovsp]Oddly enough, that makes perfect sense.[/quote:1mxnovsp]

It's basically what Bhaal did in the BG series except without the mess of raping females of every species and requiring those with his essence to die before he can use them.

Pity that whole thing never became FR cannon.

Honestly I'm surprised more of the deities don't do it. But it would be kind of weary if the same gods kept dying and being reborn. What number mystra incarnation are we on these days? #3 or #4?
"What does God want? Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses evil perhaps in some way better than a man who has good imposed upon him?"
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

I'm only aware of the two. Then again I imagine going any amount of time without a deity governing over magic would shake the realms dramatically so that kind of failsafe would have to be there. Not to mention the thought of a being that was anything but neutral inheriting her portfolio over magic makes me imagine a repeat of Kelemvor, only much much worse.

So given that thought, here's another question. On the off-chance that Qilu'e would become to Eilistraee what Danifae was to Lloth as I theorized MIGHT happen in this most recent series, what would become of the part of Mystra that is in her? Keep in mind these questions are all based off my own knowledge of the Realms that I am sad to say isn't very expansive, so if this seems an odd question please forgive me.
Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

well, actually, seeing as they made the entire Baldur's Gate series into books, I'm fairly certain it's canon.
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Bhaern Quel":3izs6je8]Well the two made a deal, Mystra needed a body for the last of the Seven. She found a Drow worshipped og Eilistraee. Thus permission was required to mess with her follower.[/quote:3izs6je8]
To go in slightly more detail there... Mystra was making the Seven Sisters by getting a woman pregnant and infusing the unborn babies with her essence. But with each baby the woman got weaker and weaker. Until finally, during the seventh pregnancy, the woman died. So Mystra had to work fast to save the baby. And is it so happened there was a pregnant drow follower of Eilistraee near whose child, unbeknown to her, had died (due to the harshness of the Underdark I think). So Mystra contacted Eilistraee and proposed to switch the babies. Eilistraee agreed and thus we've got Qilué, beholden to two goddesses.

[quote="Bhaern Quel":3izs6je8]As far as being a Chosen of Eilistraee officially she gets no bonus for it, no special abilities, etc. Perhaps in the future we might discover a official benefit of being Chosen of Elistraee *shrugs*[/quote:3izs6je8]
I know the benefit... you get to not only worship the most wonderful deity in the realms, but she smiles on you as her favorite. Mmmmmm... :D

What more do you need? ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Narsia Ny'Dhun":9f7oy36d]So given that thought, here's another question. On the off-chance that Qilu'e would become to Eilistraee what Danifae was to Lloth as I theorized MIGHT happen in this most recent series, what would become of the part of Mystra that is in her? Keep in mind these questions are all based off my own knowledge of the Realms that I am sad to say isn't very expansive, so if this seems an odd question please forgive me.[/quote:9f7oy36d]
The drow get a good goddess of magic?

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Oh minor tidbit, Ed did not create Qilué he had only wrote something to the effect the Seventh sister was called ""The Dark Disaster", Steven E. Schend used that pharse to generate Qilué to, it is reported, Ed's surprise. I will have to search for a quote, but it appears Ed never intended to name the Seventh, allowing DMs to make their own if so desired.

What Ed says is canon unless TSR then and WotC now, put something in print that changes what Ed said.

Edit: Fixed some typos and turned that upsidedown "p" over.
Last edited by Bhaern Quel on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Narsia Ny'Dhun
Resident

Post by Narsia Ny'Dhun »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":136cp4g6]

[quote="Bhaern Quel":136cp4g6]As far as being a Chosen of Eilistraee officially she gets no bonus for it, no special abilities, etc. Perhaps in the future we might discover a official benefit of being Chosen of Elistraee *shrugs*[/quote:136cp4g6]
I know the benefit... you get to not only worship the most wonderful deity in the realms, but she smiles on you as her favorite. Mmmmmm... :D

What more do you need? ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:136cp4g6]

What better benefit is there? :D