Rituals

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Rituals

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=indigo:k9csvh36]Is there a complete, specific list of rituals for Eilistraeen clerics, and if so, how exactly are they carried out?[/color:k9csvh36]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well not sure we will ever have a complete list.

It also depends on what you consider a rictual. The Run clearly is a requirement once a year, but it has not a set form.

There are.

Sword Dance, dancing to a blade and blooding each limb on the blade.
Circle of Song, which can occur after any hunt, in which the worshipers sit and dance by turns in a circle, each one leading a song.
The High Hunt, once a season, where cleerics naked leads the hunt for a dangerous beast or monster.
Change Dance, timing uncertain, only done by male Clerics to become female for a time.
Last Dance, a retirement dance where the Cleric dances with the Dark Maiden and disappears from the world.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Yeah. I was just gonna say that myself... :devil:
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=indigo:1zbzars1]But are any gender related? (except for the changedance, of course) I mean, are there any that require the cleric to be in female form?[/color:1zbzars1]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":2og42408][color=indigo:2og42408]But are any gender related? (except for the changedance, of course) I mean, are there any that require the cleric to be in female form?[/color:2og42408][/quote:2og42408]

As it stands now I do not believe so. When Ed speaks, the Change Dance, it becomes canon unless WotC prints something different. In second Edition only females could be Clerics to lead rictuals, in thrid there was some print indicating that some male Clerics might exist. Some things all followers could be a part of like Circle Dance and The High Hunt (just not lead one) and others required a Cleric (which used to be only female) like Sword Dance, The Run and Last Dance.

I might be able to get Ed speak a little more on the topic, however between NDA and preference to keep the dieties flexable and ocult (hidden) in some ways it might be hard to get an abswer from him.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=indigo:34h24au1]Hmmm... *looks thoughtful* well, thank ye much.[/color:34h24au1]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

A question for a Change Dance. Why didn't they put the option for females becoming males for a time?
It is a democracy of sorts...Right?
:3
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Rooky":3ng03lll]A question for a Change Dance. Why didn't they put the option for females becoming males for a time?
It is a democracy of sorts...Right?[/quote:3ng03lll]

While a few of us here have discussed the idea and support it, it appears in order to be a Priest in Ed's opinion one must be female for a time. As it stands right now that is just the way it is. Males must understand female conditions by being one and females have no requirement to be male to understand the male conditions.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well I agree. From a psychological point of view it's true.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=indigo:2jvueip7]Because females are more understanding than males?[/color:2jvueip7]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well I guess that's the case. At least part of it. And I will not say another word on this topic. I'm under the influence of a book, the moral of which, when it comes to male female relations is : women are whores and men are suns-of-bitches. Sorry to say that. The book is hard sometimes, but I really want to finish it. :devil:
Last edited by Argoth on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=indigo:16hpp0q0]Ooookaaayyy.... :uh-huh: [/color:16hpp0q0]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

:evillol: :? :squint:
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

:roll:
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Fyra Sil'Kilond
Maid
Maid

Post by Fyra Sil'Kilond »

Something that Keira mentioned to me when Fyra asked about this, was that the reason male clerics undergo this ritual is so they can better understand Eilistraee, seeing as she is a goddess and obviously female, so as to better understand how to serve her. Hence why there is no requirement for female clerics to undergo the opposite ritual, because it wouldn't really lead to any greater understanding of Eilistraee. Though Fyra's always been for understanding everyone around her and not just her goddess, and being male would give her insights on how to interact with people of said gender more easily. So from what I have gathered its not [i:1uc13yth]necessary[/i:1uc13yth] for a Priestess to undergo such a ritual to become male for a time, I think it could be construed as a helpful learning tool.
Fyra Sil''Kilond, Priestess of Eilistraee, Student of Keira Mir'lan and Councilor of the Elves of the Everondath (The Frontier NWN2)